What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

Tokesome

Dunno what azeotrope means, but it works exactly the same as into a pyrex dish except it lands on water, and being oil it wont mix with the water so is easy to collect up. You get left with a ring around the bowl where the tide mark is but its easy to collect with a stanley knife or razor blade.

Same method as usual but dump into a bowl of water that is hot, but not too hot to put your hands in. You`ll get some ice build up on the water`s surface, but it breaks up easy with a gentle tap, once you`ve finished ejecting the butane, bring it back in and sit the bowl in hot water and it will continue to purge itself and keep the tide mark of oil soft and easy to collect.

I think if you do a search for butane honey oil there is a vid of some guy making it and collecting into water on youtube.

Hope this helps, Tokesome:smoker:

FarmerGreen

Hey there all, does anyone here dump there extracted product straight into warm water instead of glass pyrex. I`ve found it to be way easier to collect.

Sorry if its already covered here, its a long thread to read right the way through.

Toke:joint:

That sounds cool man. Don't think anyones talked about it on this thread yet, I think I been following it from the start.

Might give it a go next time.

C

cellardweller

thanks for those links, Tokesome..sure to come in handy soon!

here's some stuff I been messing with..

this was purged 3x, then allowed to sit @ room temp for a week and then put in a hot water bath for 3 hours and allowed to cook out..
picture.php

this was dropped right onto a pyrex in hot hot water, then purged several times, allowed to cool and put back onto the hot water bath repeatedly then scraped..
picture.php

picture.php

Happy Smokin!!

G

guest5703

I want I want! I will be making some BHO soon again, cant wait! Great looking product their buddy!

C

cellardweller

thanks for the kind words guys..these are still my first few tries at this..I was only introduced to oil this past summer..big big ups to MMZRetro and MOneY Mike and Brother Bear for all their advice and experience passed to me as well, not too mention everyone in this thread! :respect:

one thing I should mention is that I had been very gently passing a torch over the darker oil in the first pic..it seemed to bring more and more bubbles up to the surface everytime, but after awhile, what ya see is what I got..now my question on that is this..
does that direct heat from the torch , gentle as it is, do anything adverse to the oil as it's still purging?

another question I have concerns cooking with BHO. I want to make an UpsideDown cannabutter chocolate chip coolie pie, with the BHO acting as where the pineapple would be in a regular upsidedown cake..now..if I made the BHO run in a Pyrex dish, and then just left it sit in a hot water bath overnight on simmer to purge, and then added the buddered cookie dough to it while still warm and then baked it, would the BHO stick to the pan or the cookie? now what if I added a cooking spray like Pam to the equation, and dropped the BHO right on that in the Pyrex?
pro's? con's? ..anyone?
thanks in advance for any advice you could muster..like I said, I am just now starting to learn the ways of the oil..and it's got me by the balls! :laughing:
~dubs

picture.php

jimbob420

I have to agree with Hashmasta that BHO tastes way better than ISO oil, not to say ISO oil isn't good shit just not the kick you get with BHO smoked/vaped the proper way. Also the purging with water thing is an old trick of a former OG member but his name escapes me. I just found it to be a hassle and adds moisture when that was exatcly what I was trying to get out with the tane.

i dont agree its the temperatures, still. butane extracts lots of terpenes, ISO does not, or does not retain the terpenes. butane oil can be brought to quite a high temperature and still retain much more terpenes then ISO oil. I have seen and smoked some good ISO oil, and also butane oil made from the same weed, and there is no comparison in the taste department.

Hi HK:
I hope no one missunderstood my intent....I was in no way saying that ISO oil was better than BHO. I was merely comparing the 2 and the loss of terps with the double boiler method of evaporating the alcohol. if the ISO oil is evaporated slowly (under 150 deg. F) the terps will not cook off and it will taste and smell exactly like BHO in the vape.
For myself I want to cook off the terps because the vapors are much easier on my lungs.
I would prefer to make BHO and keep the great taste and aroma....as well as being simpler and much easier...but my lungs just cant tolerate it nearly as well as the ISO. The other big plus of the ISO is the stealth factor. I have a mini battery powered vape that looks like a high end ballpoint pen and I can sit in my office, stick the pen in my mouth as I ponder over some document, press the pocket clip and get a nice hit that no one will ever notice or smell.
Peace and love
Da Beach Bum

^^^

BeachBum, just hope they never get randomly drug tested. Not really a good idea to drug others unknowingly...

I hear ya NG
Both my in laws are in their mid 70's, both still very active healthy people.
( a drug test is not very likely )
The first time they got a dose of ISO oil vapors was purely accidential. They dropped over while we were having a couple of friends over. they had such a good time ( my mother in law actually gave me a big genuine hug when they left)
How well do your inlaws like you?LOL
Peace and Love
Da Beach Bum

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Hi HK:
I hope no one missunderstood my intent....I was in no way saying that ISO oil was better than BHO. I was merely comparing the 2 and the loss of terps with the double boiler method of evaporating the alcohol. if the ISO oil is evaporated slowly (under 150 deg. F) the terps will not cook off and it will taste and smell exactly like BHO in the vape.

i dont care which you think is better, thats not my point. my point is i dont believe iso and butane will make an identically tasting product. iso changes the flavor of oil, it tastes weird to me, and not the same, even when well made.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
I agree that iso oil and bho taste different. but iso oil can still be good, it is kind of hit or miss I find, sometimes it will be tasty others not, probably alot of factors to that.

here is some bho I made from some slightly moldy c99 buds.

do you guys vape this stuff all day long? 1 big drop puts me in space for about 4 hours
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Does anyone else have a problem with stinking up the whole house when making oil? Made some this afternoon with a strain I been working with since 06. Just opening my jar stinks the whole house up, literally this is some stinky weed. After all is said and done I bring my pan inside for the low heat purge and within minutes the whole house has a sweet oil smell...........glad I wasn't expecting company. Nice pics everyone, glad to see this thread is still kicking.

Ryu

Thanks for the wealth of info in this thread, great read.
Does oil/bho need to go through the decarboxylation process to maximize the high if it's to be eaten? I know the cannbrex kit states a decarb for bho so i'm leaning towards that but maybe it's just to make the mix consistent or get the 3x working?
I have read both yea and no a few times and would like it clearing up if possible, anyone?

NotGuilty

Yes, Ryu, Decarb. must occur to orally activate cannabis. However, generally the hot water purge is sufficent. @ 30 minutes, ~75°C.

"Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200? C (355-392? F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106? C (220? F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor."

"Although decarboxylation takes place rapidly at 106? C, it proceeds at a more gradual pace by placing the cannabis in a room with low relative humidity and room temperature. As the temperature rises, the rate of decarboxylation increases."

from http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2794.html