What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Busted by Maintenance Men

Buddle

Veteran
I love it when idiots start threads asking for advice and then persecute anyone who offers it to them...lol..sorry.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I'll chime in for what it is worth. First off, I will say that I have not read every single post, so I claim ignorance if something has already been covered. Not to get on a soap box, but all the people out there giving genuine advice...kudos. All the hater's...why??? You may be in your own hell someday and I would hope that this would be one site you could turn to without a bunch of BS. So....

Typically, a rental agency has to give you at least 24 hours notice before they can enter a property...unless it's an emergency, like fire, broken gas line, flooding, etc. If they didn't do that, then they broke their landlord/tenant agreement. Having said that, it may not matter in the courts eyes...

Next, if these guys weren't there to take you down in person (COPS style), then that raise a lot of questions. They took the plants, all of the high end equipment, and left the rest? Wait for a notice in the mail to report to jail? Not a formal move out, just 'in your best interest', old lady talkin about the mad hater at your door threatening to kill you? This all seems really suspicious (like a fleece) or low enough on the cops radar where it won't amount to a serious outcome if you are smart.

If this turns into a true legal situation, you need a good lawyer. $5K-10K is nothing in the long run and that is enough to get you through, should you need it. You can fight eviction, it won't amount to any more legal shit unless you are in some small community where the DA's wife is the Property Manager.

Everyone can cast a stone about what you should or shouldn't do. Fact is, you've got a situation (still undefined, until a police notice is delivered). If you feel you need to split, then split. Get a new place, stay low and wait and see what happens. In the meantime, research a legit lawyer (web, friends, whatever), secure funds (cuz if you need him, your going to need $$'s). Don't say shit to any member of the law, ever...and try to get some sleep. Some jack a$$'es maybe sitting on your smoke (and they could be cops) laughing about how they had you worked over.

Keep us posted and best regards,

P

Pure.Dope

Nr8tor, very very excellent talking points. I also believe it was strange how things unravelled that day. From what my neighbors told me, there must have been about 12 officers, and they were having a grand old time, joking, talking, and even chatting w/ passerbyes.

It's funny too because I know just about all of my neighbors in the immediate area, and most of them smoke, and were really sympathetic to see this happening. They didn't think it was right of them to do.

If my complex only knew how many "illegal" activities happened on their property (which btw is section 8) they would be without at least 50% of their tenants.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Pure.Dope, were these plants in flower? Sorry if that has already been posted...I get sick of reading through hater messages...

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Just saw your last post, so there are witnesses who saw the cops (a bakers dozen) come in. OK, so it's not a low tech scam. Not good, but at least you know this was at least semi legit...still, why not wait for you to come home and ro-cham-bo you? Cops love doing that? If this is legit, the fact that they didn't do that leads me to believe this is a lower class case for them. That's good for you. Now the litmus test, if this becomes a real situation (affidavid for arrest), what can you afford to do? I fully understand the section eight situation. I will again go back to my previous post, $5K-$10K is never too much to stay one whisker away from the law. You've got to do what you can, but this is money well spent. Questions to ask any potential attorney...how close are you to the cop's, DA, etc.?? These guys are in the good old boys club. You want someone who rubs elbows with these guys. Crazy, I know, but that is how it all works...I've seen some real shady lawyers get good people out of harms way for enough money. I've also seen a shit legal defense get their client thrown in jail because they could command a higher paid dollar release from someone else. It is really like, I'll help you send two 'poor' people to jail if you help me get my 'rich' client off. It is that much of a game...

Now, I am no lawyer, so will NEVER make a penny off of someone's less fortune. I'm just speaking from my own world view. Unfortunately, you are crooked when you do something illegal. Your even more crooked, once you get into the system...

P

Pure.Dope

Definitely getting a lawyer here shortly.

And to clarify I'm not section 8. lol.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
No offense on the section 8, just saying, I know funds can be tight. Never underestimate a really greasy lawyer...Hey it's getting late for a SW guy, chill on it and see what happens. I'm hoping, nothing major. Keep us updated and know that many of us stand behind you. Glad to offer morale support. Unfortunately, it's the best I can do...

Bunz

I have to move in 24, so that's already a big enough expense as it is. I'll probably catch a retainer as soon as I get the dough.

No you don't. Make them file an unlawful detainer against you and have a marshall or county sheriff evict you. This will take a minimum of 3-4 weeks.

P

Pure.Dope

Thx nr8.

Bunz, won't an eviction hurt me in trying to get a rental for the future?

Thx nr8.

Bunz, won't an eviction hurt me in trying to get a rental for the future?

Probably. Especially if you actually were evicted by the judge. Personally I don't see why anyone rents in the first place, but I don't live in a large city (on purpose), so maybe there was no option but to rent.

If I lost my house and had to get a place to live I'd check Craigslist for an owner financed trailer ( a fixer upper :) ). Rent and growing weed is already a bad combination. Being refused an apartment at Dickwad Mngmt Estates might end up being a good thing.

In hindsight - Too bad you weren't refused a rental at that place :)

Plus vacancy rates are rediculous (30 year high). Landlords that don't want to take someones money when he's sitting on 10% empty apartments earning him no money? Thats only slightly dumber than evicting a paying customer just for growing weed. If it was me I'd be doing a Sargeant Shultz impression (I see nuuusink!)

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
I have never had it bother me.But to be honest it would probably depend on where you look to live.And then sometimes it still doesnt matter.I would make them evict me.It is your right.It isnt legal to throw somebody out in 24 hours.Not without proper notice. Not in the U.S.A. anyways..You have rights.You need to learn about them..

I wish you the best...take care

Learning your rights after the horse has bolted is only useful for the next time.
Yes, a court-ordered eviction can affect your next rental, if the next landlord does checks,
which is more than likely.
So, I would suggest again, to get some proper (free) legal advice.
Even try Googling for your State/Area and see if there are telephone advice/help centres
can put you on a firmer footing as to what to do. Good luck.

jgrow

Y r u growing in an Apt. that's f'n stupid in the first place. You have no privacy in an Apt.

In AZ? Your Fuct. There is no Med laws in AZ. No plant limit. a roach will get you 2 days in jail and mandatory Drug rehab. Plants in your home, jail time for sure.
You better get a lawyer now. You will be visited soon ans will be going to lockup. Gawd I hope your not in Phx. I was in lockup there and it's no fun, going through the drunk tanks as they process you naked. Have fun.

I have 2 friends in Flag that are doing 10yrs each for small grow ops. They even made the news

AZ sucks

Good Luck

That is literally no help to this guy, thats not small time and there were REAL drugs involved.

But get a lawyer and have him/her contact the DA about the matter, might avoid getting a warrant or having a warrant droped before they get you.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
If I were you, I'd move to a med friendly state and get your rec NOW. Get out before the warrant DOES show up, and thank your lucky stars!

woolybear

Veteran
a mans home is his castle,an inviolable asylum. THAT IS THE LAW .

I think if you're living in Section 8 housing you don't really have a castle to piss in.

Now, I don't know specifically what Sec 8 means, but I can safely gather it means "dirt cheap/ghetto/broke-ass" housing. No offense to OP, but you get what you pay for.

It doesn't help that the Popos are probably used to the neighborhood. Sucks