What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Busted by Maintenance Men

S

SmokeMan

U need to get out of that apartment. 1st and foremost. If you dont the office is going to call the police and tell thiem you are still there then they will arrest you . They got pending charges on you bottom line. If they find you or talk to you they WILL charge . There is no way they are letting this slide unless you bounce and bounce fast! U need to relocate where u cannot be found and laylow for 6 months at least. Dont hide just dont put a place in your name or rent from a private owner of a house.

I hope everyone learns a lesson here. Apartments in illegal states is a bad place to grow. If you do it a apartment please understand the apt ALWAYS has more rights then you in that apt. And they CAN enter whenever they feel the need no matter what. Especially if maintance is needed.

Move man!

You obviously don't understand legal proceedings and I'm not going to debate what happens in AZ and what happens in my state. I don't recall the OP stating he was in AZ. what's up with that?
Regardless of all that he needs to focus on what will happen if a warrant for arrest or a criminal indictment is filed. He already stated he doesn't have much funds. If he is arrested he'll need a good attorney to help get his ass out. If he has no attorney and goes with a PD or whatever they have in his state, he's basically screwed. He needs to worry how zealous the DA may be towards drugs as well as the judge. What enhancement on the sentencing guidelines may apply if he is growing within a certain area. He needs to stay off ICMag and any other website that deals with drugs. All you need is for them to get your computer bring up your history and BAM!!! "OH ICMag your honor is a website for people who grow marijuana particular for sale". He just went from someone who grows for himself to someone who may be doing this 'professionally' in their eyes. He needs to worry if convicted and it's a felony, he'll be screwed on a lot of stuff that he may want to do with his life. OP sounds like he is a late teen or in his early 20's with no experience with the 'criminal/outlaw' whatever you want to call it lifestyle. And they'll use every trick in the book on him at the station and in court.
OP Good luck dude and get a lawyer and do what HE says. Not what we are telling you here. And if you do get time remember one thing. Don't look to far ahead, because you'll just drive yourself insane. Take it one day at a time.

I have a little tiny bit of experience with criminal proceedings, having won a couple of my own misdemeanor cases, studying cases and currently being an extremely close observer to the ongoing proceedings in a felony trafficking case, and have a slight clue on both forms of criminal indicment, bails, etc.

To the OP, if a warrant is issued, turn yourself in, be sure to ask for release on your own recognisance, you wont need a reminder as everyone in jail will tell you that too.

If they issue an arrest warrant, it will never go away no matter where you run inside the states. You could live out your life never going back to the state, and they may never extradite. You would still be subject to multiple arrests (every time you are stopped and the warrrant comes up). And you'll sit in jail until the other state informs that they will or wont send someone out to get you. Also plan to be self employed from then on out because you'll never have a good job with an open arrest warrant on your record, or federally insured home loan. Or they could hand the case over to the feds, and the sentence would be 10 times worse. You could get lucky and it will be legalized in state and federal in your lifetime and they drop the outstanding charges I suppose.

Yes, and please post a link if you find such laws because they'll have overturned hundreds of years of common law precedent,and I'd sure like to see the lawmakers who could sneak such a sea change by the public without much mention. No sweetheart, the type of clauses you suggest may exist and may be written into unscrupulous landlord's leases but they are not legally enforceable. There is no jurisdiction in the US that allows and enforces immediate eviction based on suspicion or arrest. It is simply a disservice to the community to post such misinformation as if it were factual.

Well, if you want a link, I could give you something better and send you a copy of my lease, which is upheld by the laws of my county and state. But it isn't just me saying this, another poster has also comfirmed the same set of similiar laws as well. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3596168&postcount=90

In addition, we are talking about a specific crime, which is possession of a controlled substance, not general suspicion of arrest. Yes, there are many landlords that are making legal exceptions in their leases to drug-related crimes because of their own bottom-lines and profits due the unfair perception of drugs attracting crime.

And it would not be very hard for a company that owns rental properties to lobby lawmakers to give them legal rights to do, especially if their rental properties are within a certain radius of schools, churches and parks.

This?

as of 1990 the landlord is required by law to evict you with three days notice if drugs are found. If you fight this you will get a date in court. I don't know about you but i would not want to be in court for that
"You gotta know when to hold em you gotta know when to fold em"

Because I'd like to see that law myself. Also wondering why he wouldn't want to be in court for that. I can see not wanting to be in court, but being accused of that by the landlord in front of the judge wouldn't make any difference to me, except to ask him for the proof, his evidence & his test results, etc... :)

I'd also be tempted to throw some leaf in the yard of a known house rental, or the local Air Force recruiting station who rents the building I know about and see if the landlord is required by law to evict the tenant. Or mail some leaf to an old man preferrably a retired cop, in a retirement village, and when he files a police report (establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that drugs were "on the premises") see if the landlord is required by law to evict him.

G

Guest 88950

White Rhino, you may have won a couple of MM cases for yourself but in no way does that make your advice good. your watching criminal proceedings might give you a SLIGHT CLUE but thats it. you sound just like all the other jailhouse lawyers.

how many lawyers have you heard of representing themselves when they were the defendant?

i was told by a wise and senior attny that "a man that represents himself has a fool for an attorney"

OP, dont listen to anyone telling you not to worry b/c the landlord did something wrong or he/she doesnt know it was Cannabis or what it looks like. LEO was there so assume the worst and get a lawyer. if your only option is a Public Defender then its better than representing yourself.

good luck and dont listen to White Rhino

White Rhino, you may have won a couple of MM cases for yourself but in no way does that make your advice good. your watching criminal proceedings might give you a SLIGHT CLUE but thats it. you sound just like all the other jailhouse lawyers.

how many lawyers have you heard of representing themselves when they were the defendant?

i was told by a wise and senior attny that "a man that represents himself has a fool for an attorney"

OP, dont listen to anyone telling you not to worry b/c the landlord did something wrong or he/she doesnt know it was Cannabis or what it looks like. LEO was there so assume the worst and get a lawyer. if your only option is a Public Defender then its better than representing yourself.

good luck and dont listen to White Rhino

Who told him to represent himself? And you have that quote a little backwards. Its one of the most commonly used adages in the business and goes like this:

A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

But I nor anyone here has urged him to represent himself. What I did say was the 24 hour eviction notice is a joke, and it's unenforceable. Evictions don't work like that, and you surely don't need a lawyer to know that basic fact.

Taking that notice, changing the name to the landlords name and putting it on his door has exactly as much force in law, IOW none. Its a first step that must be taken and thats it. It is written notice to leave. If you don't leave in the 24 hour written on the notice all they can do is start legal action. Only a judge can evict. The landlord can do absolutely nothing until that happens. Cant lock you out, make you leave, talk to you or harrass you in any way.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has a fool on their lease :)

So calm the fuck down, nobody said represent yourself on the drug charges. :moon:

I was correcting the assumtion that a landlord telling you that you must be out in 24 hours means nothing. In reality you can stay and move out at a leisurely pace. Probably weeks, definitely not hours unless by slim chance the OP is renting a motel room. However long it takes for a judge to hear the case and decide is how long he has.

P

Pure.Dope

I'm getting a new place tomorrow.

Again, I think either way, I don't want to make this worse and get evicted. Why in the world would I want to? Just to prove that I'll stand up? So what, either way I'm only fucking myself.

Again, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to get a lawyer as soon as I get paid, and I'll see where I stand.

My rental agreement states they can enter my house, without notice, for a number of reasons. A few of these reasons are: to change the air filter, or for emergencies. These really don't apply in my situation, as it was only for ac maintenance. Either way, I put in a work request, and they came unscheduled. It's my word against theirs. I told them to come fri, and they don't have permission to enter. Everybody at my front office, including the two ladies that took my work order, deny me ever saying that they didn't have permission to enter. They stood there right in front of my face and told me this.

Now one quick thing I want to mention. My neighbor told me some really weird shit. About an hour before maintenance even came to my house to fix the ac, there was a guy that came up to my door. He was apparently banging, punching, and kicking my door, shouting to come out, and that he was going to kill me, and all this and that. My neighbor said she was so scared, she didn't even want to look out the window to see who it was.

Now I don't know anybody that would genuinely want to kill me, let alone come to my house with threats. I don't deal with shady people, I don't deal, and there's no way in hell this was a real person that knew me.

I'm almost wondering if the police were somehow tipped off to my grow, used that guy at my door as bait for me to call the cops, so they could come over and bust in my house to accidentally discover my grow. When I didn't answer or call the cops (because I was at work), they went to my property managers and figured out an excuse to come in.

Now this is just speculation, but I'm trying to find some logical reason somebody would come banging on my door, it just doesn't make sense. I keep finding out stranger and stranger things about his whole situation. It's fucking weird guys.

I'm getting a new place tomorrow.

Again, I think either way, I don't want to make this worse and get evicted. Why in the world would I want to? Just to prove that I'll stand up? So what, either way I'm only fucking myself.

Again, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to get a lawyer as soon as I get paid, and I'll see where I stand.

My rental agreement states they can enter my house, without notice, for a number of reasons. A few of these reasons are: to change the air filter, or for emergencies. These really don't apply in my situation, as it was only for ac maintenance. Either way, I put in a work request, and they came unscheduled. It's my word against theirs. I told them to come fri, and they don't have permission to enter. Everybody at my front office, including the two ladies that took my work order, deny me ever saying that they didn't have permission to enter. They stood there right in front of my face and told me this.

Now one quick thing I want to mention. My neighbor told me some really weird shit. About an hour before maintenance even came to my house to fix the ac, there was a guy that came up to my door. He was apparently banging, punching, and kicking my door, shouting to come out, and that he was going to kill me, and all this and that. My neighbor said she was so scared, she didn't even want to look out the window to see who it was.

Now I don't know anybody that would genuinely want to kill me, let alone come to my house with threats. I don't deal with shady people, I don't deal, and there's no way in hell this was a real person that knew me.

I'm almost wondering if the police were somehow tipped off to my grow, used that guy at my door as bait for me to call the cops, so they could come over and bust in my house to accidentally discover my grow. When I didn't answer or call the cops (because I was at work), they went to my property managers and figured out an excuse to come in.

Now this is just speculation, but I'm trying to find some logical reason somebody would come banging on my door, it just doesn't make sense. I keep finding out stranger and stranger things about his whole situation. It's fucking weird guys.

That is very suspicious. After you acquire your lawyer, you may want to ask that neighbor to speak to you and your lawyer about exactly what your neighbor saw and see if that could be usable to your defence. In general, try to gather as much evidence as you can that will help you and your lawyer if your case is brought to trial.

You and and your lawyer could try to investigate and find any mistakes the police may have made when entering and searching your apartment. In addition, maybe you can find some historical legal evidence against the rental company that is similiar to the situation you are in. In other words, has rental management staff used the maintenaince men to spy and illegal search through a person's belongings before? Is that how they are finding out if tenants are maintaining gardens? Maybe your lawyer can search through records to see how many people were evicted from that property and how many of those evictions involved controlled substances.

If you followed the golden rule about saying nothing about your garden to anyone, and your garden was secure in respect to odor, then there may be the possibility that it was discovered earlier by the staff.

Good luck.

igrowone

Veteran

you seem to have a pretty strange situation going on
snitches aren't known for banging on your door
normally, police just want a sworn statement, or in bigger cases, for the snitch to wear a wire
one hell of a coincidence otherwise
if this was police related, then you were already under police surveillance
which wouldn't be good, but doesn't make a lot of sense
they would likely have already arrested you, surveillance is a much bigger deal

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran

That is odd, I've heard of the police phoning in "shots fired" call for an address they suspect, but can't get a warrant for.
Isn't that how they busted the Mississippi pot cave? Or something big like it.

I don't know about them standing outside your door making death threats. Pull that shit at my house and I will be staring at you from down my gun sights.

On the subject of threats, I know it would only make a bad scene worse, but myself, I would be stalking that busybody narc fuck of a maintenance man, with the intent of delivering a severe beating to him first chance I got.

Sounds like another reason to go ahead and move asap, not because anyones trying to force you too, but because it's the smart thing in this case IMO.

If you do end up with a PD, it's not the end of the world, some are good and just starting out in their career, you can tell them your not looking for a deal or plea agreement if you don't like what they are bringing you, and go to trial with them, they will take care of you, but you have to manage them, and not just blindly follow what they say if you don't like it.
Court appointed or not, they're working for you, just like a private attorney.

T

Tr33

Did you sign that mandatory "drug use statement" that the AZ law makes all apt renters sign? If you did then are under the thumb of the Apt Complex and must bail.
Yes the cops can come and bust your doors down, I've seen over 7 friends go down in Tempe, Glendale, Mesa, Gilbert, Show Low, Tucson, Douglas, and Flagstaff
Never grow in any rental apt or house n AZ.
Renters have no choice in this matter 100% of all landlords make renter sign these drug use contracts that make it so the apt complexs can evict you with no notice. This started in the late 1980's and has been held up in court every single time challanged. You are lucky to get the time you have to move. Most Apt lock out the renter Legally. Plus AZ is a Renters state, meaning renters are favored over the landlord because of the Scumbag landlord laws created in the late 1970's.
It sucks, and it is legal.

Good Luck, don't sit on your ass thinking the cops won't come. They are gathering evidence to prosecute you with the DA. I've seen this happen several times in AZ

GET YOUR LAWYER NOW!!!

your fault if you don't listen to everyone here. Why would you even ask for help if you have no intention of doing so. honestly your not playing the growers game very smart. Having delt with this same thing in AZ, I smell shenanigans, there's more to this than is being revealed as with all busts.

AZ sucks

mk6

Dude after you move into your new place... set up a small hidden cam that views your front door, use a motion detector and capture anyone that come to your door - no paranoia... just fuking hate not knowing whats going on at my place when I not home.
Caught a solicitor (door hanger) peeking in my window and called the co on him a got him fired, you never know - unless you know. check the security cam thread; go to frys, you can buy it there, or on line for less then 100 bucks...

Guiness

Dude after you move into your new place... set up a small hidden cam that views your front door, use a motion detector and capture anyone that come to your door - no paranoia... just fuking hate not knowing whats going on at my place when I not home.
Caught a solicitor (door hanger) peeking in my window and called the co on him a got him fired, you never know - unless you know. check the security cam thread; go to frys, you can buy it there, or on line for less then 100 bucks...

Something everyone should know,.... In this world as much as there is an internet, you are Always on cam. Act accordingly.

P

Pure.Dope

Tr33, what do you mean, I'm not taking everybody's advice? About getting a lawyer, yes I'm getting one. Not to mention just about everybody here is saying something different, it's hard to comprehend what you are talking about with that statement. If there's something you think I should be doing, tell me, and I'll definitely consider it.

Camera is a great idea. I'll buy one asap and set it up. I'm hoping to buy a house in the near future as well. I'll never grow unless it's legal for me to do so, and I don't smoke anymore. Weed is as good as dead to me. It was fun while it lasted.

Kalicokitty

Veteran
, and I don't smoke anymore. Weed is as good as dead to me. It was fun while it lasted.

What????
You don't smoke anymore?
Since when?
Since two days ago when the cops took all your weed?

Don't let the "Man" break you like that, just a little bump in the road is all.

You've been a member of this board for over 2 years and now "weed is dead to you"?
That's kind of sad IMO

If the police heard you saying that, they would consider what they did to you a victory in "the war on drugs" they broke you

P

Pure.Dope

OK I guess I'll continue to smoke and buy weed from a drug dealer. Great idea.

In my opinion, I would suggest that taking a short and temporary, sabbatical until your current legal troubles are official over.

Secondly, I would go back to gardening, and not go to someone else. If your new house is in the same police jurisdiction as your old apartment, you want to make sure that no one on the department may try to attempt an follow-up invenstigations on you or that you cannot be traced to anyone else if you buy externally. Keep your garden, micro.

Be cautious and weary of any new people you meet. If there is a "neighborhood watch" in your new neighborhood, investigate who belings to it and avoid them, or join the organization so you will always have a heads up as how the watch associates with police. Right down the names citizens in your neighborhood, remember their faces and avoid them at all cost.

I don't want to make you paranoid, but make sure that you, your car and house is very secure. The camera suggestion is a wonderful idea. If you can get a security system put into place, do it. Some rented houses, condos and ever apartments will allow you to order and set up an external security system from ADT or Brinks.

Kalicokitty

Veteran
I'll post the same thing I sent you in rep.
You don't sound like you have your shit together enough to be doing this in the first place, otherwise this dumb bust never would have happened, maybe quiting is for the best in your case.

1.Growing in a large, onsite managed apartment complex- Dumb

2.Growing in a large, onsite managed apartment complex without changing the locks or at least putting one on your bedroom door- Dumber

3.Calling for maintenance and then not staying there for when they come- Dumbest

I still hope things turn out for the best for you.
If you do ever grow again, put a little thought into what your doing next time.

By and large I find fellow stoners to be some of the coolest cats around - truly I do.

But it hurts me personally to see what is essentially great advice reduced to not just one insult but multiple insults - in this case, three. (Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest)

I'm not going to ask why, cuz I already know why - some people get off on being just plain mean - even at the expense of including it in great advice.

Talk about kicking a man when he's down -
we have enough of that with the anti-weed lobby, we don't need it from a brother.

I came here cuz I thought there was a distinct lack of venom -
I hope I'm wrong, otherwise I'll be looking for another weed forum that appreciates it's members, mistakes and all -
after all, you don't want poking in your eye when your chips are down.

This is a nice place, let's all work hard to keep it that way.
If you want to be unpleasant I can recommend a few other weed places where that kind of behavior is tolerated and even applauded.