What's new

Bush Weed Seeds

GoatCheese

Veteran
can you show me where he said haze is a hermie??
Sam has stated, iirc, that the Thai seeds he gave to one of the Haze Bros had hermie traits in the line. I think that was one of the reasons why the other Haze Bro didn't want to use the Thai.

Just checked, and i don't have this quote saved, but it's somewhere here on ICMAG. ..prolly in the "[FONT=&quot]question for sam the skunkman on the original haze"- [/FONT] thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82182

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Sam has stated, iirc, that the Thai seeds he gave to one of the Haze Bros had hermie traits in the line. I think that was one of the reasons why the other Haze Bro didn't want to use the Thai.

Just checked, and i don't have this quote saved, but it's somewhere here on ICMAG. ..prolly in the "[FONT=&quot]question for sam the skunkman on the original haze"- [/FONT] thread
yea a lot of that thai was hermie ,

afak the haze , 3 way colombian hybrid

was not hermie ,
i dont ever recall seeing that mentioned ,
i may have missed it because i sometimes gloss over things ,
so if anyone can find a post from sam saying pure haze is hermie im keen to see it ...

TheDarkStorm

This is why ther can be some male flowers in the thai haze skunk which uses the thai haze parent from the original stock.

I do agree Donald sometimes due to the way a proper f1 combines it can mask certain traits that can show up in later inbreeding work...in such cases its probably better to use the f1's or to outcross to stable unrelated strains rather than inbreeding...

led05

Chasing The Present
can you show me where he said haze is a hermie??

i thought he said the opposite , perhaps i was wrong , but id be happy to check out where you read him say what you mention ...

id back up wht goatcheese said though ,
its just good management and correct procedure for selecting parents to breed with ...

we use haze to clean up lines, and especially haze males cuz most other pure NLD males herm too often and early.... haze was worked on a long time to make it as "clean" as it is in that regard, I believe this to be an established known, exceptions always exist of course....

But Truly; any plant can herm, unless you find a true female or male, LMK if you think you do - a proposition to all, in general..... I bet I can make either herm without much effort ;) - truly firm sex cannabis plants are Exceptionally rare - this is also a known, well at least I thought...... but "bro" science is tough as nails, stubborn too - hahaha

yea a lot of that thai was hermie ,

afak the haze , 3 way colombian hybrid

was not hermie ,
i dont ever recall seeing that mentioned ,
i may have missed it because i sometimes gloss over things ,
so if anyone can find a post from sam saying pure haze is hermie im keen to see it ...

I've grown now 6 different near pure Colombians the past two years (you've seen a couple) and recently 5 different ones side by side, many examples of each - including Haze from 1990; I know the whole theory haze is/was only Colombian...... There's SE Asian for certain IME/IMO in all that's left of Haze, OTH, Ohz, THH etc - growing a number of P1 in-situ collected SE asians recently, I'm more certain than ever ....... well some like THH have BLD too, a fair amount (deep chunk anyone..?) but shhhhh - haha

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
all tropical ganja landraces and strains based on them like Haze can throw male flowers

the reason for that is centuries of selective pressure for that trait caused by smokers growing out seeds from ganja

any seed in ganja that's not an elephant seed (fat and close to them stem) is likely to be from a rogue male flower

the job of a "ganja doctor" or good ganja farmer is to rogue out any plant showing male flowers

crucial point

hermaphrodite = a true monoecious plant

true hermies are a rarity in drug-type Cannabis

most of male flowers people are reporting here are likely to be intersex stress responses, not actual hermies

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This is why ther can be some male flowers in the thai haze skunk which uses the thai haze parent from the original stock.

I do agree Donald sometimes due to the way a proper f1 combines it can mask certain traits that can show up in later inbreeding work...in such cases its probably better to use the f1's or to outcross to stable unrelated strains rather than inbreeding...
hey ds , yes i think your correct about the masking certain traits in f1 hybrids ,
even hermies ...

we use haze to clean up lines, and especially haze males cuz most other pure NLD males herm too often and early.... haze was worked on a long time to make it as "clean" as it is in that regard, I believe this to be an established known, exceptions always exist of course....

But Truly; any plant can herm, unless you find a true female or male, LMK if you think you do - a proposition to all, in general..... I bet I can make either herm without much effort ;) - truly firm sex cannabis plants are Exceptionally rare - this is also a known, well at least I thought...... but "bro" science is tough as nails, stubborn too - hahaha

I've grown now 6 different near pure Colombians the past two years (you've seen a couple) and recently 5 different ones side by side, many examples of each - including Haze from 1990; I know the whole theory haze is/was only Colombian...... There's SE Asian for certain IME/IMO in all that's left of Haze, OTH, Ohz, THH etc - growing a number of P1 in-situ collected SE asians recently, I'm more certain than ever ....... well some like THH have BLD too, a fair amount (deep chunk anyone..?) but shhhhh - haha

i guess its accurate to say the sex of these landraces is flexible/fluid,
it just needs the right stimuli to bring it out ,
it would be nice to hear from sam on the haze since he is the guy who worked on it most ,
quite likely he will have seen what many of us have seen in other landrace , sativa varieties ..

the thh i grew eons ago was definitely pure nld , though its possible it had thai in it given the similarity to some of our local sativas here which certainly had thai in them ,
this may have changed at a later date , im talking early 2000 , 2001 or 2002 ...

all tropical ganja landraces and strains based on them like Haze can throw male flowers

the reason for that is centuries of selective pressure for that trait caused by smokers growing out seeds from ganja

any seed in ganja that's not an elephant seed (fat and close to them stem) is likely to be from a rogue male flower

the job of a "ganja doctor" or good ganja farmer is to rogue out any plant showing male flowers

crucial point

hermaphrodite = a true monoecious plant

true hermies are a rarity in drug-type Cannabis

most of male flowers people are reporting here are likely to be intersex stress responses, not actual hermies
i dont think there are many pictures of a true hermie plant ,
its possible some have been posted , but id agree they seem rare ,

do you know of any to share so we can take a look ??

in all the time ive spent on the net only a few have been shared to my knowledge anyhow ...

G

picture.php

JohnnyChicago

I know of an Original Haze grow where every plant has been unstable.
The same OH seeds have been stable everywhere else.
The guy is a respected and experienced Haze grower.
So yes even Original Haze can get very unstable with the right conditions. At least, when it has been inbred 1x.

rolandomota

Veteran
You have to look carefully at every flower site so that means no pruning because the lowers can show even just one hair on one male flower will give you Hermie especially the resinous males have to be checked look very very close same with female you have to look inside the buds

Lol to the hot Thai she man ....powdered nuts anyone?

HAZENACIOUS

really ??

in some landraces you found this??

'not saying its impossible with the occasional ,

but generally the rule seems to be hermies show up any stage of flowering , and regularly , particularly in things like thai ,

i find it amazing you would agree with this unless your experience with landrace sativas is limited ,
which part are u agreeing with hazenacious ??

can you elaborate a little on your post please ...
Hi Donald,

Never grown true landrace Thai, just smoked it.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, usually I just bin hermies, but I have worked with a lot of different stuff from Africa, some lines of which have hermied; for example, I had a strain that came out of African bagseed that was very unique and exceptional, collected myself, out of around 2 dozen females close to half hermied, I culled all hermies, and ran clones of remaining non Hermie females and stressed them, light, rootbound, etc, a few more hermied, in the end I bred with 3 best stress tested 100% non Hermie females open pollinated to 3 best males(no males hermied), there have been no hermies at all in F2 and F3 of these IBL lines and sex ratio is around 50/50.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi Donald,

Never grown true landrace Thai, just smoked it.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, usually I just bin hermies, but I have worked with a lot of different stuff from Africa, some lines of which have hermied; for example, I had a strain that came out of African bagseed that was very unique and exceptional, collected myself, out of around 2 dozen females close to half hermied, I culled all hermies, and ran clones of remaining non Hermie females and stressed them, light, rootbound, etc, a few more hermied, in the end I bred with 3 best stress tested 100% non Hermie females open pollinated to 3 best males(no males hermied), there have been no hermies at all in F2 and F3 of these IBL lines and sex ratio is around 50/50.
I liked the african stuff i grew also ,
i had a friend there a long while back that sent seeds , weed and hash over to me here ,

some of the girls grew a complete male branch out of a female plant , not just the odd flower , i hadnt seen that up till that point.

Once i started to see male hermies i tested a bunch and found many in all variety of seed , possibly more male hermies than female ones ,
was a bit of an eye opener ...

the male ones were usually quite late , toward the end of their flowering cycle ... i guess many just use a male as the pollen comes and its discarded before the peak , or the end of flowering ,

so any issues that occur late are not seen ...

HAZENACIOUS

I liked the african stuff i grew also ,
i had a friend there a long while back that sent seeds , weed and hash over to me here ,

some of the girls grew a complete male branch out of a female plant , not just the odd flower , i hadnt seen that up till that point.

Once i started to see male hermies i tested a bunch and found many in all variety of seed , possibly more male hermies than female ones ,
was a bit of an eye opener ...

the male ones were usually quite late , toward the end of their flowering cycle ... i guess many just use a male as the pollen comes and its discarded before the peak , or the end of flowering ,

so any issues that occur late are not seen ...

Hi Donald,
Yes this one was really nice, fairly uniform, brownish olive buds, and I swear it smells kind of like pickles.

That is a good point, I never let my males go too long, kill them as soon as the ladies are showing signs of mass seeds, then get rid of male.
So far the f2 and f3 seed is stable.

Jayded

Even with the hermie issues the plants left are looking good and smelling lovely.I did take some pics but most were awful so only have 1.Plants all have an underlying shoe polish smell.1 has a pine and earthy chocolate another lime and curry and the tall 1 is piney and floral.Will try and get some better pics as even this doesn't really show them.Tall girl is the frostiest of the 3,quite impressed with her so far even if other 2 smell better.
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Raho

Veteran
Even with the hermie issues the plants left are looking good and smelling lovely.I did take some pics but most were awful so only have 1.Plants all have an underlying shoe polish smell.1 has a pine and earthy chocolate another lime and curry and the tall 1 is piney and floral.Will try and get some better pics as even this doesn't really show them.Tall girl is the frostiest of the 3,quite impressed with her so far even if other 2 smell better.
View Image
Beautiful :)

Jayded

Cheers Raho,I kind of gave up on them for a couple of weeks but the smell of the lime and Katsu curry girl eventually won me over!She has a very strong smell to her and is the only plant I can smell when I open the tent.

If there are no more re-flowerings the piney earthy chocolate girl(at the back on left) will be done pretty quick,she looks like she'll be done in 11/12 weeks with the lime curry girl(back right in photo)not too far behind her.

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
many modern hemp cultivars are true hermaphrodite

i.e., monoecious

monoecious hemp cultivars are increasingly being developed and used in Europe

monoecious cannabis needs to be maintained by man, left to go feral/ruderal plants will mostly revert back to normal sexual ratios.

but the whole idea of feminized plants comes out of monoecious hemp breeding, femaleness is dominant and heterosis between various sexual forms will give you 97%+ female in the F1 offspring, you can find the math on all of this thats going back 75-100 years and was done on scale that still holds true.

Huesos

Hey BushWeed and Friends, I hope all is well.

The MM/Oaxacan x MM/NH#21, from brother E.T., are so righteous. I'd say about 5 out of 10 are showing superior genes.

One smells like cherries and looks to come in like an autoflower line. As brother Donald Mallard says that different flower time period in different parts of the world.

Anyway, your onto something great.

Many Blessings~ Huesos (Wesos)

Huesos

Here is a question as follows: Has anyone done any work in identifying and isolating the different lines such as, the Oaxacan pheno, NH #21 pheno, Thai pheno, MM pheno? And, the differences in poi (quality of high)?

Anyone have any pics of the Oaxacan pheno that was used?

The ones from E.T., are pretty amazing and coming in early.

Latest posts

Latest posts