What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
At the end of this run I plan on renting two propane heaters and bringing my room and veg plants up to 120-130 for an hour. Then repeat a week later plus veg plants will be treated to some systemics.

Then lung room will get a couple no pest strips placed in room to kill anything that might be in there!!! May drop a pyrethrum bomb in there as well. Wanna make sure I rid myself of these fuckers once and for all!!!!!

stuartmills

After losing all faith in my abilities, I finally saw one of these fuckers with a scope and got an accurate diagnosis. Heat seems to be the way to go. I read, as I am sure many of you did the article which recommends dunking in hot water for an hour. I hadn't thought to bring the entire room temp up to 120, but did use a small hand held steamer with good results. I took off the broad wand and rigged up a more controlled tip. It definately killed adults, and I havent seen any movement since I steamed em two days ago (not sure about eggs). My next step is def going to be raising the temp to 120 in the room. The steam may be viable for some situations, however, the steam coming out of the tip is in excess of 180 degrees and will kill your babie girls if you get too close. I used a meat thermometer to gauge the appropriate distance at which the steam cools to 120. Its pretty crude, but was effective so far as I can tell. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Ill def post my results.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Avid with the lights on will Kill all of them... 2nd treatment follow up... You'd be lucky to find a broadmite afterwords ..but if you dont spray with your lights ON your wasting the Avid

SmokeTrees

"Hey bud, lets party!"
Veteran
has anyone tried the heat treatment to kill spidermites? i understand that it should work, but wondering if anyone has done it for sure?

RetroGrow

Veteran
has anyone tried the heat treatment to kill spidermites? i understand that it should work, but wondering if anyone has done it for sure?

I haven't tried it, because I haven't had spider mites in many years. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. Every living creature dies at a certain temperature, and luckily for us, mites are not heat tolerant at all. So, if you have spider mites, please try it and post back your results. Plants will not be harmed, that much I can guarantee. I'm positive they will die at some temperature, just don't know exactly what that temperature is for spider mites. 120 degrees F has been tested many times on broad/cyclamen mites, and it works 100%. Kills eggs too, and no harm to plants. I leave them exposed to those temps for one hour. Others have gone longer with no ill effects to plants, but I recommend one hour to start. I'm pretty sure this will kill spider mites, so I would like to hear back from someone who has tried it. If you try it, please post your results back to this thread.
:ying: RG

RetroGrow

Veteran
At the end of this run I plan on renting two propane heaters and bringing my room and veg plants up to 120-130 for an hour. Then repeat a week later plus veg plants will be treated to some systemics.

Then lung room will get a couple no pest strips placed in room to kill anything that might be in there!!! May drop a pyrethrum bomb in there as well. Wanna make sure I rid myself of these fuckers once and for all!!!!!

DO NOT USE PROPANE HEATERS!!!!!!!
The fumes may be harmful to plants.
Use electric space heaters that you can buy in Home Depot/Lowes/etc., and turn the heat up in your house.
120 is all you need. I don't recommend going any higher, as it's not necessary. If you are using heat, you will not need any chems at all. Just repeat the heat treatment as needed, if more mites are coming in from outside, or from the ducting in your house. You can do it as often as you like, so I recommend repeating the treatment a couple of times during the grow. If you are in between grows, and just want to clean room with no plants in it, then you could use propane heaters and put the temperature as high as you like, but not with plants in the room! Steam cleaning will also work in an empty room, but don't steam your plants!

dorson

Howdy,
Just registered so I could ask a few questions.I am wondering what you folks all do to keep your electric heater from shutting off automatically when they reach a certain temp.Mine all shut down at 90 degrees f.
Thanks for any replies.
dorson

SmokeTrees

"Hey bud, lets party!"
Veteran
i just sprayed with forbid, but in 3 days ill try a heat treatment.
I am surprised you guys are able to do this in flower with out severe repercussions. In veg i can see how it is fine, but mid to late flower i would think it could cause costly damage

the gnome

Veteran
i just successfully did a 115F water soak,
putting my clones that have cat in water cups for a week or so and one sytrain has been looking sickly?
looking closely i see the tell tale leaf damage starting on a few of them!!
bastards!!!
so i run tap with a digi therem in a quart container until 115 is stabilized and in they went.
water seem too hot for cuts but i had no choice, after 7 minutes the water cooled to 111 so refreshed the quart and brought it back up to 115 and another 8minute or so saok.
they are dead :) no signs of life, a few dead brown bodies here and there hehehe..
2 hrs later now they look ok, in fresh water and perked back up.
:)

RetroGrow

Veteran
i just sprayed with forbid, but in 3 days ill try a heat treatment.
I am surprised you guys are able to do this in flower with out severe repercussions. In veg i can see how it is fine, but mid to late flower i would think it could cause costly damage

I did it in veg, and early flower with no ill effects. However, if you are in mid or late flower, test it on one plant only, only for one hour, and not above 120 degrees. Don't risk your entire crop, and let us know what happens. However, if you do it in veg a few times, all mites in your room should be exterminated, not just the ones on your plants, so you should not have them in late flower. I recommend always using aspirin when fighting broad mites, as this mitigates the effects of the toxins that the broads inject into the plants, which is really the cause of the damage. 325 Mg of regular (not coated) aspirin per gallon of nutrient solution. Aspirin boosts the plants immune system, and helps them fight the effects of the toxins. Use aspirin throughout the grow. It really works. Aspirin does not hurt the plants.

dorson

2 days ago I heated the room up to 118 f for an hour and a half at 4 weeks into some 10 week strains and absolutely no problems, 2 days later, things look awesome.
I brought my vegetative room lamps and a couple extra 400 watters i had laying around into the flower room to get the temp up.
I still would like to figure out a way to heat things up without tearing down the veg lamps etc, was a pain but it worked. I may purchase a couple baseboard electric heaters and see if I can wire up a thermostat that sits in another room so i can get max heat without them shutting down.Seems like all the space heaters I have completely shut down at 90 degrees f and will not reset until moved into a cooler room.
dorson

dorson

LadyV

:bashhead: I can't say I'm happy to find out that I have these buggers, but it is such a relief to see the reason for my chasing phantom def's for the past year. It has been a bitch....I built a brand new room and my first run in it was with clones from PO. It was such an epic fail, we thought the silicone we used to seal the room was off-gassing and killing the plants.

Since then, I've had 3 runs that looked great in veg, only to go to crap about 4 weeks into flower. Burnt pistols, cal defs, nitrogen toxicity, I have spent/lost so much money & time. Was ready to throw in the towel. After reading here a bit, I went out and cranked up my scope to 100X. After looking at 6 leaves, I saw eggs, then what I can only assume was a male running off with a female went zipping through my field of vision so fast it scared the shit out of me and I jumped back and screamed - with my scope flying across the room. I feel so....dirty knowing those little fucks are in my meds....OMG.

So, tonight I will heat up my room to 120 - I'm at the end of 2nd week of flower, then I will give them bayer asprin @ 325mg per gal and get down on my knees and pray.

Do you guys water before heating up the room to help protect the roots?

the gnome

Veteran
hey LV,
if your going the heat route they will transpire a lot so just make sure the soil isn't dry and ready for water, definitely water em down if so.

sorry to hear about the BMs...
good to see you figured out the prob, like you I chased everything from off gassing to
my water source and TM virus.
and like you said if the next crop goes under i give up.
i lost a lot of $$ with no harvest so to speak for over a year.

they are easy to beat now that i kno what I'm up against

let us kno how the suana went for your gals LV :smoke:

RetroGrow

Veteran
:bashhead: I can't say I'm happy to find out that I have these buggers, but it is such a relief to see the reason for my chasing phantom def's for the past year. It has been a bitch....I built a brand new room and my first run in it was with clones from PO. It was such an epic fail, we thought the silicone we used to seal the room was off-gassing and killing the plants.

Since then, I've had 3 runs that looked great in veg, only to go to crap about 4 weeks into flower. Burnt pistols, cal defs, nitrogen toxicity, I have spent/lost so much money & time. Was ready to throw in the towel. After reading here a bit, I went out and cranked up my scope to 100X. After looking at 6 leaves, I saw eggs, then what I can only assume was a male running off with a female went zipping through my field of vision so fast it scared the shit out of me and I jumped back and screamed - with my scope flying across the room. I feel so....dirty knowing those little fucks are in my meds....OMG.

So, tonight I will heat up my room to 120 - I'm at the end of 2nd week of flower, then I will give them bayer asprin @ 325mg per gal and get down on my knees and pray.

Do you guys water before heating up the room to help protect the roots?

Yes, make sure plants are well hydrated before heating. They should always be hydrated anyway:)
Continue aspirin throughout grow. Add to nutrient solution @325 Mg. per gallon. Don't wait on the aspirin. Before I knew what was ailing my plants, I treated with aspirin only, and was able to harvest nice plants, despite the broads. It pretty much negates the effects of the broad mite toxins to a great extent. Aspirin is part of my normal regiment now. I always add it to my nutrient solution. It helps the plant help itself, and has no negative effects. It works on any kind of plant, not just cannabis.

RetroGrow

Veteran
i just successfully did a 115F water soak,
putting my clones that have cat in water cups for a week or so and one sytrain has been looking sickly?
looking closely i see the tell tale leaf damage starting on a few of them!!
bastards!!!
so i run tap with a digi therem in a quart container until 115 is stabilized and in they went.
water seem too hot for cuts but i had no choice, after 7 minutes the water cooled to 111 so refreshed the quart and brought it back up to 115 and another 8minute or so saok.
they are dead :) no signs of life, a few dead brown bodies here and there hehehe..
2 hrs later now they look ok, in fresh water and perked back up.
:)

Glad that worked. This is an option for small cuts, I guess, but try submerging a 3 or 4 foot plant in hot water! When I tried hot water dip on a couple of my smaller plants, mites may have died, but plants practically melted. They looked terrible afterwards, and obviously didn't like it. Had to toss them. You would think mites would drown, even in cold water! How can they breathe under water anyway, hot or cold?

the gnome

Veteran
agreed retro,
i would never attempt to heat soak anything past cuts unless I had no choice.
just imagine trying to do that with a 3+FT bush,
way too labor intensive imo.
that and I don't think small cut would take well to the air heat treatment that larger plants tolerate with ease.

they can breath, many tiny air bubbles can get trapped on leaf nooks-n-crannies.
ever see the spider that habitates ponds and catches hatchling fish?
it atraps a bubble of air and takes it it like scuba divers tank, down and can stay down for 15 minutes :smoke:

LEDNewbie

Veteran
I'm starting week 6 flower so I feel I'm to far into flower for that kind of heat. But once done I plan on heating room and all equipment and veg plants to 120 for one hour.

For those that have done it do you feel one application does the job or should it be done twice say a week apart????

Thank god for this thread. Hoping my next round is a BM free one!!!!!:tiphat:

the gnome

Veteran
I'm starting week 6 flower so I feel I'm to far into flower for that kind of heat. But once done I plan on heating room and all equipment and veg plants to 120 for one hour.

For those that have done it do you feel one application does the job or should it be done twice say a week apart????

Thank god for this thread. Hoping my next round is a BM free one!!!!!:tiphat:

from earlier posts your fine @6wks bloom to do this.
if you have reservations try one plant and see how it goes .
one good long heat session should kill eggs and BMs
scope your plants out with a loupe and you will see the dead ones, keep scoping them out to make sure they are dead.
i check mine out every so often, but always do follow up scoping after a treatment..

good luck ledN

LEDNewbie

Veteran
thanks gnome, maybe I can place one of my flowering girls into the veg room and do the heat treatment first in that room..... if all goes well then do heat treatment in flower room....

Now I just need to get myself some heaters!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts