What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I used AVID --- AND Safer Sulphur ("Garden Fungicide"). I recommend the Concentrate bottle, not the sprayer bottle. Much more economical. Could see why the Sulphur Burner helped G.O.D., some of us have seen Sulphur to have a knockout effect with the BM's, along with AVID and Forbid (I only used AVID).

So far so good, although I am convinced that I STILL see some damage on my newer Clones. On the GSC's of course, ain';t that "The Way..."

Good Luck, Y'all..... As Always.

Once you get these in your space,it's almost impossible to be totally rid of them. They keep coming back. It could be that they are continually entering from outside.

the gnome

Veteran
Once you get these in your space,it's almost impossible to be totally rid of them. They keep coming back. It could be that they are continually entering from outside.

I think thats about it retro.
I just went thru another major outbreak last month.
these lil fukers are a veritable scourge.
constant spraying and bombing and being proactive as hell is the only way to beat em.
they're so small is part of the prob i think, and its not until they're number reach a certain point that thier toxic saliva will start nto show the symptoms on the plants
and by that time you are in deep trouble!
when i use avid or forbid I also spray the floors walls,
entrance ways the soil containers lower stalks...everything!

one good thing is I found out triazicide made by spectracide
kills broads.
fairly cheap and a lot less toxic than avid and forbid4F.
its cheap enough to use in a hose sprayer bottle and really douse down the plants but good!
my last infestation i had ft plants going into bloom and fing triazicide was a real boom because of the size of the plants and numbers (30) that needed to be sprayed.

its also good for a root drench and it kills root aphids

medicalmj

Veteran
stasis does the safer sulfur concentrate burn up any leaves or have any ill effects?

It will if you have used oils like neem in past 2-4 weeks. Check the label.

Didnt read what you're combating but, sulfur (esp. the burners) are excellent for PM treatment. Never used it on mites, interesting...

coastal

Spinosad DOES WORK INSANE... Conserve SC at 15ml per gallon will destroy them on contact and just about everything else on the plant...with ZERO phytoxicity...

Good advice man, conserve sc worked great for me, I did notice a little burn from it though. Not bad but there was some.

medicalmj

Veteran
does anyone use a wetting agent when treating with forbid or avid?

Should say on label (goes for all pesticides) whether or not a wetting agent is recommended. I think Dawn is the only dish soap that is non-ionic, which may be necessary. I just buy coco-wet. it non-ionic and only $8 for enough to last a year or more.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
That;s right. Things like Azatrol and Sulphur too close to each other timewise is too much for the plant.

The Garden Fungicide from SAFER is good at 2o to 25 ml/g.. With a few drops of Coco Wet, if possible. Do not adjust the pH down... You want it over 7.o if you can with only a few drops of pH Up.. Or better yet, no adjustment at all. Plants being sprayed do NOT like pH Up or Down.

But if it is over seven. this also always helps with controlling P Mildew which has trouble surviving in pH over 7.0.

OBSoul33t

has anyone tried using tetrasan ovacide ?
somewhere i saw a picture of broad mite attached to a whitefliy or fungus gnat , so there is a vector for their return ..

the gnome

Veteran
does anyone use a wetting agent when treating with forbid or avid?

hey eric, got your PM but can't reply, sez your mail box is full.
i think once you get 50 posts you'll be good but to answer you Q in your PM,

hey was wondering if u use a wetting agent with forbid or avid in treating for broad mites. also how many days between applications. thanx in advance

i put a few drops of dish soap in a gallon,
just enough to do the trick
also forbid has translaminar properties, while non systemic it does move from the top to the bottoms of leaves

ideally you go 1 month, but the BMs egg/hatch schedule is around 21 days.
forbid has an ovacide from what I understand.
and i always rotate avid to forbid to triazicide.
don't use them back to back in applications.
spectracides brand triazicie works on broads also,
its a lot cheaper and way less toxic and is veggie friendly so ive started using that in addition to the heavier guns.
what I like is its cheap...$10 a bottle
it also has a hose hook-up bottle
(the one i got anyways)
so its a breeze if you have a place to take them outdoors and give em a good soaking!
triazcide ias also one of the few things that takes down the dreaded root aphid. so when i spray i also hit the soil in the container pretty good.
its a great root drench
pipe.gif

I also use volck oil, its an ovacide and very low on the toxin scale. doesn't kill broads but reg mites and white flies, i have an ongoing WF prob and volck does a great job
and its the ovacide you need
its old school stuff and dirt cheap too
smile.gif

I always have a bottle in my arsenal

goodluck eric

btw
hope you don't have those lil bastards!
or ever get em.
they truly are thee top scourge in grows imo

RetroGrow

Veteran
I also use volck oil, its an ovacide and very low on the toxin scale. doesn't kill broads but reg mites and white flies, i have an ongoing WF prob and volck does a great job

The white flies would explain the broad mites. White flies are the vector. Until you get rid of them, Broads will keep flying in on them.

eric2028

Veteran
hey thanx for the great info gnome! unfortunately ive been fighting broad mites for about a month. ive used forbid every couple weeks along with triple action neem and safer garden fungicide. it all seems to help but nothing has totally rid me of them. i also picked up some avid but havnt used it yet.

the gnome

Veteran
if you've used forbid and still have em, there's a prob somewhere ?
either in dosage or application or something else :chin:

i know with avid your told to ph the water from 5.5-->6.5
but with one proper heavy wash with avid or forbid i'm good to go if I am infested.

your sure you have BM's.. have you scoped em, and seen the egg sac
thats the tell tale sign of broads, the unique looking egg sac's stand out big time!

eric2028

Veteran
yea im sure i have them. their eggs are everywhere. i have a 40x scope that i use often. i wish i had spider mites back! ahhh those were the days...

so with the forbid ive been using 1 ml per gallon of h2o. i use a round up canister sprayer and i really give everything a good soak. even under the leafs. i havnt used any sort of spreader/wetting agent yet with the forbid, maybe thats the problem.

avant gardener

Veteran
rotate your chemicals. different mode of action prevents resistance. iow, if you've been using the forbid, it's time to switch to avid.

edit: actually it's recommended that you start with avid to knock down the adults and then follow up with forbid because it's effective against eggs and immature mites.

here's the chemicals that are effective against broad mites:
Abamectin (Avid)
Chlorfenapyr (Pylon)
Fenpyroximate (Akari)
Spiromesifen (Judo or Forbid)
Pyridiben (Sanmite)

find that info here:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:A9DqttIemScJ:www.syngentaflowers.com/country/us/en/seeds/PDF%2520and%2520Other%2520document%2520Storage%2520Library/GoldsmithSeeds_PDF/WhitePapers/Mite%2520Rotations.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjbRL9bCV5lVfoYoSo3HviwdEEQjN7E4v0VLm92h441Pb20LHVT_ZRS9UkKYongZk5ThLmGKs_jZYSH1fWX1OGn3Zm3hFbFTYvwamzmJ71ADROklRRlKPJ0rC0_0M3CGMsJUP55&sig=AHIEtbS4zE4Cf4cUuHPu7CuvSwdbB54q4A

as for a wetting agent, i use sm-90 or aloe vera.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
ived used FORBID it kills them i use 3 drops to 1 qt water in spray bottle i spray every 2 weeks for 8 weeks then once a mounth after that ONLY IN VEG ROOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts