What's new

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zor

For $20 this stuff from Home Depot kicks some serious Broad Mite Ass!!!!!

i just got a bottle of this stuff and dunked some teen plants as a preventative. im happy to report that there was no stress at all from the dunk. ill be using this in the future. thanks storm shadow!

br26

I have had one of the two types of bulb mites in my soil. They also cruise around the inside of DWC buckets and in the root zone. When changing water, it became apparent that they were still in the bucket, attempting to swim to the edges and walk back up and out of the bucket. They are probably 1/30 - 1/50th of an inch.

The thing is really cool to look at under a microscope, especially before they are dead, lol.
Under the 100x, their guts churned in two counter clockwise spinning regions, side by side.

Rhizoglyphus echinopus and Rhizoglyphus robini are assholes!! They can live in a jar with air for two months without water or food.

I don't buy bottles of random shit to put in my plants. The pests will only gain a tolerance to more things.

Home depot can suck a D. Every corporation can suck a D.

br26

yes, bulb mites and broad mites are different, duh. But they are similar looking and reside in two different locations.

MrDank

Veteran
Broad Mites are much harder to eradicate than spider mites. My friend got rid of them with a strict schedule of Forbid every 5 days, and No pest Strips every 3 days for a solid 3 weeks. Only the No Pest Strips were used in flower. We haven't seen any since January

On the other hand, I wasn't as diligent and mine resurfaced 2 months later. You must stay on top of things

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Predators Working?

Predators Working?

Just remember that any sprays you use ( including residues ) will probably be toxic to the predators too. When you order the mites they suggest immediate release upon arrival. Just keep your timing in mind...
Also, the predators I suggested like humidity. They'll survive as low as 40% but I've been using a humidifier to raise mine. I've got good ventilation in my room but still a little nervous about growing mildew. The humidifier will be gone well before bud rot is a concern.

Treatment Update
I dunked my plants ( head first, not the root ball) into Dyna-Gro neem yesterday. I have done a through inspection of 2 plants and found no crawlers. I'll be going thorugh more plants later. I like dunking for coverage & IMO less danger to the applicant but Neem is probably better used out of a sprayer.
:tiphat: Grow Tech thanx for this thread... can we please have an update on how effective your predators have been against the Broads?

i used californicus and swirskii to eradicate a severe infestation of Broads in veg. but now the broads have showed up in my flowering room and i am wondering if the predators will be able to access the much smaller broads when they are inside the buds?... :thank you: again

greenluv707

pit wisper/ rare strain collector
avid dip every two weeks..........then to switch it up a bomb every now and then inbetween dippings.......

maybe something heavy coating abilities,a oil/light acid to burn thoes fuckers up.........

does that seem to hurt them?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
californicus will seek them out.
hey phillthy i feel better if i hear that coming from a guy like you. willing to go the avid/forbid route if absolutely necessary but predators have been so good to me in the past... are preds your main defence against pests and how long have you had californicus in your garden?... thanx for your reply:tiphat:

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Hey moses,
The only time I used predators was in flower. I used Californicus and one application (albeit a heavy one) cleared up my Broad mite problem to the point that it saved the crop and I couldnt find any Broads despite spending a lot of time looking. I used Avid on all my nursery and one treatment took care of my Broad mite problem.

I recently had a flare up of spider mites because i brought some plants in from an outside source. Unfortunately the Californicus that I tried to use for that issue got over run. I ended up just chucking those girls. i should have treated the plants that I brought in with Avid....d'oh

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey phillthy i feel better if i hear that coming from a guy like you. willing to go the avid/forbid route if absolutely necessary but predators have been so good to me in the past... are preds your main defence against pests and how long have you had californicus in your garden?... thanx for your reply:tiphat:

yeah man. hit the veg with avid twice about 3-4 days apart. then release the little guys into flower. this will buy you time so you can harvest. otherwise i would scrap flower and treat everything. good luck!

RetroGrow

Veteran
For $20 this stuff from Home Depot kicks some serious Broad Mite Ass!!!!!

5oz per gallon and dunk young clones when they are small.... this shit dries those lil bastards out on the spot ...eggs included! Best part is....it doesnt hurt Unrooted clones....baby Seedlings....and of course full blown Adults.... Lil Buggers are fucked now... so strapped up with ammo they have no choice but to just walk the plank to death :biggrin:

Make sure you use in Veg ...leaves a nice lil residue coated on the leaves that breaks down in about a week.... Sulfur works Insane on Broad Mites..not systemic...but man...when you watch them suffer under the microscope on contact...gets me warm and fuzzy inside..

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/b...ard-spray-concentrate-p-2070.html?sub_id=2578

Bayer makes a similar product, but with twice the sulfur, called Natria. Kills mites. Costs $12 @ Home Depot/Lowes.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/natria-insect-disease-mite-control/sizes

MrDank

Veteran
How often does everybody suggest spraying Avid? I only have a small veg garden and plan on knocking these out for good. I've read where people eradicate them with 1 spraying. I used forbid 2x 2 weeks apart, and they came back

RetroGrow

Veteran
How often does everybody suggest spraying Avid? I only have a small veg garden and plan on knocking these out for good. I've read where people eradicate them with 1 spraying. I used forbid 2x 2 weeks apart, and they came back

Every three days, as eggs are constantly hatching.
Avid doesn't kill eggs.
The three day rotation worked for me, and I added Neocilious Californicus in flower. After adding the predators, I couldn't find a single egg on the leaves!

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I was on your wagon SS until I saw this. Please explain your logic.

Tsk Tsk...I cant do all your homework for you ...

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r734400111.html

COMMENTS: Abamectin is less effective under cold weather conditions than in warm weather because movement into the leaf does not readily occur. Abamectin is most effective when used in paired applications 7–10 days apart when mites reach detectable levels under warmer temperatures in late winter/spring. Repeat the paired applications if necessary to maintain twospotted spider mite control. Do not exceed 16 fluid oz/acre/application or 64 fl oz/acre (4 applications) in a growing season. Do not apply in less than 100 gal water/acre (200 gal/acre is optimal). Do not repeat treatment within 21 days of 2nd application. Abamectin is not registered for strawberry nurseries.

:ying:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Every three days, as eggs are constantly hatching.
Avid doesn't kill eggs.
The three day rotation worked for me, and I added Neocilious Californicus in flower. After adding the predators, I couldn't find a single egg on the leaves!
has anybody tried the californicus in their veg rooms i have only read about them being used in flower?

Status
Not open for further replies.