What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad mites: ID and Organic Antidotes that work!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some Hormones in the human body work in parts per billion. Parts per million can disrupt the endocrine system... Im not saying the aforementioned compound is dangerous. Although, unless you are intricately familiar with its interactions with the human body...to say that because it's only 1ppm it's of no health concern is foolish.

Bless Up!

FE

I never made such a claim.

To say or imply that PEG is dangerous at 1ppm without providing any information beyond opinion is commonly known as spreading FUD.

I merely stated it is probably less toxic than breathing air (particularly in an urban setting), a reasonable assumption.

milkyjoe

Veteran
So mikell...do you use synthetic emulsifiers in your soil routinely?

And yea I was a little hyperbolic. PEG is in a bunch of stuff. But do you reckon they put it on the msds just cause they think it is so awesome...or cause rhey had to

I choose not to use it or any other synthetic wetting agent. But that is me...it wouldn't be the worst thing ever

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Raw yucca (conveniently, that's the brand name too). Right up until I put it in an less than air tight container and the humidity killed it.

I do stupid shit all the time.

I reckon they put it on the MSDS as they were required to. I would assume (dangerous ground) at some point during safety testing (top down approach I disagree with) they determined it had a negative effect at a certain dose. Judging from my own past research (now we're right off the bloody tracks) this dose would be many magnitudes greater than the one used in a product intended for infrequent soil/foliar applications.

And then there's the whole residue in the environment/metabolism by the plant aspect to begin looking at. But now I'm rambling, familiar stomping ground.

Saying all that jabberish, I've been looking at polysorbate 20/80 lately (synthetic). There are health concerns I've come across but given the mentioned low dose/frequency of wetting agents, I doubt it will be an obstacle if it proves superior to the type of yucca I currently use. Further reading required.

Some of you may frown or knit your brows together at that last bit, but then, that's exactly what I do when people avoid products for unjustifiable concerns (re: emotions, feelings).

mtntrogger

Veteran
I've been using cocowet, with foliar AND with nutes, hopefully it's not another devil product that everyoneon here hates on.

mtntrogger

Veteran
does anyone know about these mites surviving seed ? read this before , but would like to know more about the reality of this. How long can they live in the seed ? do they destroy the seed embryo or just hatch after the seed germs ? is it common for them to live through seed ? anyone with real knowledge on the subject please pop in

mtntrogger

Veteran
I have read that they can "over winter" in seed, I really would like to know how long they can live this way ? So ANYONE ; Breeders , chuckers whoever makes seeds, could be passing these to anyone else who buys, or trades seeds ? Anyone know anything about this ? Bueller ...Bueller ?

FatherEarth

Veteran
E SCENT SHIELD. Its hands down the most effective tool when combined with the PFR 97 for reg broad mites. Russet mites dont seem to be effected by the PFR but certainly wiped out by the e scent shield. I dont sell anything nor do I work for any company. Just saying what Ive seen work for myself and others in my area.

Respect,

FE

FatherEarth

Veteran
overwintering in a seed?... Id doubt it.. they arent that hard to kill. A seed soaked in a nutrient solution or even plain water would likely kill a dormant broad mite.

mtntrogger

Veteran
Hey FE , thank you for your help. Great work here. One of the best threads on the topic. Although I was very positive earlier , I now feel like I am in hopeless situation. I am currently harvesting the infested flower crop that I left completely untreated. The remaining plants which are destined for flower have been treated using various organics for 2 months ... However my veg cabs are right next to my flower tent. Was gonna hit the plants and tent as well as the veg cabs with nukem . howevery I am now considering avid , ...or killing off all of my babies and starting anew from seed. The later will leave me about 5 months from a harvest, while treating the current veg plants will leave me only 2 + months out. Just don't want to have to do this again, if they come back

Z

zooty

What are the tell tale signs of early broad mites? I'm seeing some strange growth but can't see anything with my 30x scope.. but my eyesites pretty shit

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
Hey FE , thank you for your help. Great work here. One of the best threads on the topic. Although I was very positive earlier , I now feel like I am in hopeless situation. I am currently harvesting the infested flower crop that I left completely untreated. The remaining plants which are destined for flower have been treated using various organics for 2 months ... However my veg cabs are right next to my flower tent. Was gonna hit the plants and tent as well as the veg cabs with nukem . howevery I am now considering avid , ...or killing off all of my babies and starting anew from seed. The later will leave me about 5 months from a harvest, while treating the current veg plants will leave me only 2 + months out. Just don't want to have to do this again, if they come back

how did the infested crop turn out.. did you have duds? buds with few or hardly any hairs... way less resin than usual??
i have just been through the same thing...
i know its not genetics as i have many different ones, i remember having burnt hairs at say maybe week 3 on many sites and thought it was due to the summer heat or the neem spray i was applying,..
but now its much cooler and im getting the same symptoms

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
What are the tell tale signs of early broad mites? I'm seeing some strange growth but can't see anything with my 30x scope.. but my eyesites pretty shit

from what i hear, its slow growth, leaves canoue and tips can bend down.. like claw..
hairs look like they burnt and leaves can have a lockout look..
you need a 100x scope

Z

zooty

i found broadmites on a gorilla glue clone. i thought they were trichomes with a 30x lens but i just got a 100x and that confirms it

I have other plants right next to the glue that seem to be unaffected

mtntrogger

Veteran
Hey blueberrydrumz, I don't know about any duds ...I did have a couple of plants that came out pretty weak... But they appeared to be the ones that got hit hardest. Several plants aren't too bad ... A few are.

mtntrogger

Veteran
Hmmm

Hmmm

So this is how several of my veg plants looked day before yesterday. They were OK before this sudden super tacoing. It seems unlikely that after being treated with sprays every other day for almost 2 straight months that somehow the mites could inflict this much damage. I was wondering about a soil drench sns 203 I had used a few days prior to this . it was pretty old. I tested the soil ph yesterday with one of those probe style testers .most had a ph of around 8-9 . I immediately drenched all with correct ph water. Hoping for the best ! Also have upped to spraying everyday with a neem/sponosad mix , cleaning all surfaces with pure bleach daily, and putting hot shot no pest strips in each of my 2 x 2 veg cabs . strong chemicals to be sprayed as soon as I can buy em.

Attachments

• IMG_20151007_134818020.jpg
    IMG_20151007_134818020.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20151007_134910774.jpg
    IMG_20151007_134910774.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20151007_134834484.jpg
    IMG_20151007_134834484.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20151007_134851405.jpg
    IMG_20151007_134851405.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14

mtntrogger

Veteran
I had been using Dr bronners in my watering and drenchs as a wetting agent. Then I came across a thread that said that stuff messes with soil ph big time , glad I found that out .

The Admiral

I used to have a login here....been a looong time. Had to make a new one to say

THANKS FATHERTIME! Great thread. I learned a bit.

I am currently ending a war (I think) on Broad Mites.

I NEVER take clones from people. Got offered a Cup winning Headband clone....the rest is history. Certainly came with BM.

Took me awhile to figure out the problem. I don't ever apply pesticides, not even Neem, because everything runs clean clean clean. No visitors, no outside clones....blah blah blah.

I bought the following products:

AVID
Promis with Imidacloprid
Green Cleaner
Pylon Bombs
Attain Bombs
Azamax
Pyreth-It (had this kicking around. BEST pure form of Pyrethrin you can buy)

I tossed all plants I could afford to. Let the perpetual bloom room go empty. Pruned plants to being very short with minimal foliage.

Sprayed with AVID. Sprayed with AVID mixed with Azamax. Bleached hard. Threw shit out. Bought new shit. Dipped, dunked, sprayed. Bombed. Watered in the Imidcloprid.

Whew.

The just got their first nice lil veg feeding last night. Worst looking plants Ive ever owned. I know I went hard on the pesticides. But this down time is going to hurt.

Wish I had a sick microscope at home. Crappy 60-100x scopes they sell at the grow store arent worth a buck.

I'm convinced you will never see Broad Mites if you never take a clone from someone. Every time I have heard someone getting them, its always from visiting a grow room or taking a clone. I broke one of my own cardinal rules.

Broad mites SUCK!!!! I'll take spider mites any day.

Green Cleaner is a garbage product. FYI.