What's new

Brick Coco - damaging grow?

SneakySneaky

Veteran
the easiest way imo to wash your medium, be it coco or hydroballs, is to fill it into pots and rins those pots through with water if you dont have a draining table take them to the sink or bathtub or take a bucket and put to planks on it which can support the pot of coco then just add water from the top till the run off is how you want it to be.

hey Mitch whats up with the pm system? seems i'm out of the loop here :)

gaius, your right but i have a slight variation for ya. i rinse all my coco/hydroton/dirt in a 15 gallon smart pot in the shower. With compressed bricks i just stand it upright and turn the shower on for 30 mins, when i come back its flushed, expanded, and ready to be precharged with nutes. another benefit of this is that you dont have all the little pieces running out the bottom holes in the plastic pots which is especially annoying with hydroton!!! The GH coco bricks expand to 15 gallons so the 15 gallon smart pots is the perfect size for them, if you wanna rinse in a rubbermaid the smart pot becomes the perfect strainer.

215forLife

Interesting thread.

I like to use compressed brick coco myself. The difference between it and the loose bagged stuff is simply that the "manufacturer" took the same bales and uncompressed and rinsed them for you.

+K to Gaiusmarius for the bathtub suggestion. Thats what I do,.. put a strainer in the drain throw a couple of blocks in the tub and run the shower for a good 30 minutes. It washes a way a lot of the super tiny coco particles (mostly dust) as well as the salts. From there I like to spread the coco bales out and dump a 5 gallon bucket of ph'd (5.5) water that also has humic acid (10ml per gal (50ml for bucket), Silica (5ml per gal), calmag (10ml per gal) some molasses (15ml per gal) and 5 drops of superthrive.

The dude that is saying real growers don't ph when growing in coco is retarded. Seriously I pH my run off, as do most other peeps that I know.

Daffy

never did I flush sunleaves, didn't have a problem, sounds like you have deficiencies. sorry I didn't read the entire thing.

One Love 731

Veteran
Ill be the first to admit I don't know everything. I love to learn, there is no belief I hold true that couldn't change with a lil info. I want to figure out all the master gardener techniques such as PPM, nutrients and PH for each stage of the plants life. It would be cool to know which additive at the precise time to bulk up, sugar up, what to drop and when. I like the results I'm getting but want to continue making my relationship with this amazing plant more real. The thing is, plants are living, there is no combination that will cover every strain. Every environment is different and will effect different strains in different ways. I love the plant and growing more and more every day. Peace, pot and karma. One Love:ying:

Seriously I pH my run off, as do most other peeps that I know.

in the most calm and non agruementative way possible.....pHing run off is the most futile pointless thing you could ever do in gardening......if the plants look fine this is absolutely pointless

on the otherhand if your seeing problems on the leaves, pHing the run off can give you some hints as to whats wrong....but if everythings fine....regularly pHing runoff is a bigger waste of time than taking a shower...drying off and taking another shower?

never did I flush sunleaves, didn't have a problem, sounds like you have deficiencies. sorry I didn't read the entire thing.

i concur once again....flushing sunleaves is aswell, pointless.....if you run DTW the 1st week of waterings(with ample ~50% run off) does this for you with NO harm done towards the plant nor roots.....

anyone hating on sunleaves bricks.....try it yourself.....

step 1 - hydrate with a nutrient solution with cal mag

step 2 - throw in a plug or clone

step 3 - let decently dry before 1st watering, flood to 50% runoff

repeat step 3 for the 1st week

step 4 - observe 0! ill effects.....

please i beg you to try this.....it will save you plenty of time and hassle.....

Buddin are ya kidding? I set my nutes 5.3-5.5 in coco and have great results, only let it rise above 5.8 toward the end to let them eat up there reserve nitrogen and nutes in the end so they'll turn color and burn clean. As far as ya saying 5.5 will lead to problems your trippin, especially saying you'll have cal & mag lock out. 5.3-5.5 is when the plants can take in the most cal and mag. There is a reason you have 1 rep/karma with 759 posts, your info is wack! Your right about coco prep, other than that, all I can say is wow. Get over yourself. ph will slowly rise, unless there is problems in the root zone. You want it to fluctuate so they have a chance to get everything they need. Brotha, Ive ran this way start to finish without rez changes, only adjusting ph when topping off and I can tell you with confidence it works and works good. Peace, pot and karma. One Love:ying:
I
picture.php

If ya want results like this listen to Buddin 904

hey one love....thanks for posting the worst looking pic from my album i guess you purposely didnt include the good ones in an effort to make me look bad on my 1st! run of this difficult haze strain!

ill do you the honors of posting how they finished up, in my sunleaves brick coco for that matter!

you seem like a typical democrat....trying to 'exploit' me and not including all the evidence......

bendoslendo

you seem like a typical democrat....trying to 'exploit' me and not including all the evidence......

You seem like a typical partisan stooge, bringing politics in where there is absolutely no need :no:

Anyway, nice haze buds.

And a pH of 6.5 will be way more deleterious than that of 5.5. You'll be locking out micros and P.

Also, I've had some individuals respond very badly to unwashed bonticare coco, while other individuals planted in the same batch have had almost no ill effects. The specific problem I'm talking about is twisting malformed growth. A good rinse ensures no problems. I think you are generalizing your experience beyond what is likely prudent.

well thanks for the diss and compliments i guess? lol....idk probably been in a stressed out mood lately...finals man....cumulative....stresses most of you probably dont no about so PLEASE EXCUSE ALL MY ugly posts....i am here to learn from the best too while also throwing in my personal experience successes.....

but locking out micros is quite hard to do if you have a edta chelated micros...so i dont see the problem...and P is less available the lower your pH is.....so? i dont get what your saying about that.....

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
CocoTek bricks are the best value on the market. Multiple consistencies to choose from, very compact and all cheap ($2-3/brick.) Canna is overpriced and you aren't paying for anything but a brand name. I like their products but the team they hired to run their US side is shady and greedy. They won't let hydro shops stock single specific Canna products. They only allow them to stock up entire lines or groups of products together.

Don't buy the CocoTek with croutons ("mixed" consistency.) Use the fine version with some added perlite and you're set.

and ive never used botanicare brick.....only sunleaves multiple times...always with success with no washing and ALWAYS charge with full bloom nute/ tap water(calcium) and a little epsom in there....never had any problems when i flooded them to excess run off 1st couple of watering...im begging people to try it.....

when hydrating bricks i throw a double layer trashbag in a trashcan throw in bricks....each brick throw in about 800 ppm worth of bloom nutes + 1 tsp espoms and then fill with tap water......i break up with hand then get pots out....i break them apart squeeze repeatedly and then when in ready to throw them in the pot i grab a handful squeeze the liquid out....crumble the handful in the pot and fluff accordingly...never compressing in the pot

the initial waterings have drained "salts" out IME.....and ive never had problems....

this method is even begining to be tedious for me....call me lazy but im getting sick of doing it....so when factoring a wash too...that makes it seem unworthwhile too me

in the future i plan on switching to BOSS blocks....they are a 6 or 8 inch plastic wrap container with a coco fibre mat on the bottom with a small brick coco that will expand to the size of the container....im going to try these next time and ill report with a new thread if anyone would be interested in reading....considering it seems everyone on this thread 'hates' me now??? i dont no....once again i appologize for all the pH disscussion...i do strongly agree with what do what works for you.....

i was just trying to make a point to newbs who mix on the spot that they should just go for 6.0 flat and not be mislead by these rez users who pH at 5.3 and let it drift....because im IMO that would fuck up some newb going to pH his plants for the 1st time who doesnt use a rez

catcherintheye

anyone use sunshine just coir, mixed it into FFOF for aeration and such, hope it wont cause problems as i added it to avoid some. Is it flushed good? its bagged coco and not the cheapest.

CocoTek bricks are the best value on the market. Multiple consistencies to choose from, very compact and all cheap ($2-3/brick.) Canna is overpriced and you aren't paying for anything but a brand name. I like their products but the team they hired to run their US side is shady and greedy. They won't let hydro shops stock single specific Canna products. They only allow them to stock up entire lines or groups of products together.

Don't buy the CocoTek with croutons ("mixed" consistency.) Use the fine version with some added perlite and you're set.

!!!

i have tried the GH cocotek bricks once....the regular version...not the mixed.....i didnt really care for them...they WORKED FINE...however the consistiency was too fine for my liking...almost like a soil mix very compacted....i DO like your idea of throwing some perlite in there...that is a great idea

i also have used sunleaves PIECE COIR....chunkier version of the regular coir....these honestly seem to by my favorite....they allow massive air capacity and the buds are FATTT in these.....you do need to water X times a day with these and more run off will come off than normal but i think these had the best air ratio from my experience.....

i jus try to stay away from perlite....just another bag of shit to buy

one love whats the pic??? doesnt show up..... and seriously no bad beef....i sincerely apologize for being dickish to ya man.....my stresses have been threw the roof lately and ill admit i can off like an asshole on many posts on this thread....so sorry to you man

One Love 731

Veteran
one love whats the pic??? doesnt show up..... and seriously no bad beef....i sincerely apologize for being dickish to ya man.....my stresses have been threw the roof lately and ill admit i can off like an asshole on many posts on this thread....so sorry to you man

It was one of those arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics, your still a retard pic's. Just trying to add a laugh. We all good bro, don't stress, I come here to wind down. I hope everything is everything for you and yours. Karma, One Love :ying:

maryanne3087

ooooo ive been growing for 25+ years im a fucking big shot look at me.....good for you pal congrats!!!! i dont really give a fuck how many years youve been growing...that doesnt mean shit to me.....your open to others misleading view points of pHing at 5.5...ok yea sure???

this thread sucks dick btw....it is very far off topic, half thanks to me...so i appoligize for that...on the other hand the people who condone flushing of bricks are just absolutely wasting their time.....the only problem with a brick is that it needs to be charged with nutes before usage.....do this and throw in a clone and youll see like the other 10% on here have found out...there are 0 ill effects....IF RUNNING DTW there is no point in flushing!

Rezdog, owner of Reservoir seeds, coco grower for ~10 years-ish indoor grower beyond that for another 10 yrs/ 20 total uses a pH of 5.5 for his coco and I think he knows what he's doing.

Flushing is to reduce the hazard of high salt/sodium content usually attributed to poor coco sources where the coco sits on a beach and is exposed to salt water. It's a bit naive to say if you're running drain to waste that there's no point in flushing, if you're running drain to waste with adequate run off that's flushing however you want to look at it. If you're not getting run off with drain to waste you're going to have an accumulation of salts, you may also acidify your medium, and if your coco originally had a high sodium content you're not going to be fixing that. By saying running drain to waste makes flushing irrelevant is like saying I don't need to flush because I flush and call it something else.

maryanne3087

in the most calm and non agruementative way possible.....pHing run off is the most futile pointless thing you could ever do in gardening......if the plants look fine this is absolutely pointless

on the otherhand if your seeing problems on the leaves, pHing the run off can give you some hints as to whats wrong....but if everythings fine....regularly pHing runoff is a bigger waste of time than taking a shower...drying off and taking another shower?

There's a saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured.

If I'm checking the pH and ppm of my run off and I notice the pH is too acidic (say pH of 4.8) and the ppm is 2500 when I feed 700 I know that I'm not having enough run off, and my medium is acidic my plants could and have looked completely healthy at this point but I know I'm going to run into problems. How is this pointless? Even if the plants never run into problems and I correct this I'm just dialing in my garden even more making it more efficient, likely improving yield, and making my medium that much safer to re-use.

It's cool if you're lazy and think this is pointless just don't expect any grower worth their skin to agree with you.