What's new

Brick Coco - damaging grow?

yea u are man....a tad bit..i dont think anyone on here experienced in coco are going to be pHing their nutrients to 5.5.....or even 5.8 for that matter.....

I've completely replaced perlite with coco in my organic mix and have had nothing but success with anything I've plated in it. I treat it just like soil and have my PH around 6.5. It shouldn't be an issue and I would highly recommend it.

I've used Sunleaves, Hydrofarm and Botanicare coco and have had good results with all of them. I'd choose the Botanicare if I was running 100% coco as it isn't as course and seems to be a tad more broken down and has an even consistency.

I always rinse with RO water but I don't go crazy with it. I've never seen any symptoms of salt burn, only healthy, happy plants.

scurred

Maybe if your mixing soil with coco it's different, but for a coco grow you should treat it like hydro and use a pH around 5.8

M

Mitch Connor

i dont think anyone on here experienced in coco are going to be pHing their nutrients to 5.5.....or even 5.8 for that matter.....

Not sure where you're getting your wacked info from, but sounds like you've just been reading random posts off the internet and trying to give advice to people who actually have plants..

A pH anywhere from 5.5-6.2 will do fine, just pick a number when making your res, and see where it drifts after 3 days. Some peoples pH drops over time, some rises. There is no definitive magic number for pH.

100% coco seems to be fairly forgiving when it comes to PH. I keep it around 6 in veg and early flower and drop it to 5.8 in flower.

I never have problems with PH in coco....

dont try to show me some threads after you just admited that your just now switching to coco.....not trying to be a prick but you dont have any experience in coco....so go ahead and pH your coco to 5.5 for the 1st time ever and watch mag lock out develop.....IME! i go for 6.....6.2 late flower.....5-6 for plain water flush.....

dont go off of what some random thread says without personal experience....

i am speaking from experience

Not sure where you're getting your wacked info from, but sounds like you've just been reading random posts off the internet and trying to give advice to people who actually have plants..

A pH anywhere from 5.5-6.2 will do fine, just pick a number when making your res, and see where it drifts after 3 days. Some peoples pH drops over time, some rises. There is no definitive magic number for pH.

my "wacked" info is straight from the source....personal experience.....however, you, just proved how little you know....yes wow u understand that pH will drift.....on the other hand you say theres no "magic #"....yes there actually is....i personally believe it to be 6.0.....

"just pick a number" .....LOL maybe you need some to get a little experience in gardening then you can talk......its easy for someone who knows what their doing to see that you have no clue what your saying.....

Maybe if your mixing soil with coco it's different, but for a coco grow you should treat it like hydro and use a pH around 5.8

scurred you quotes sound like their straight from someone elses mouth....you cant say you should "treat coco like hydro" and use a certain pH.....1st of all your advice isnt exactly true for half the people on here that actually treat their coco like soil and let it dry decently inbetween waterings.....however yes i do "treat" my coco like hydro by using small pots and watering frequently throughout the day....so although i do "treat it like hydro" i cant really agree with you a self admitted newb to coco out here giving out advice like you know how coco responds......

and "treating something like hydro" doesnt mean at which pH you feed it....it means frequency of irrigation.....

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
I used to flush, until I put my plants in to straight expanded coco and nothing adverse happened to them. Not to mention, you are going to be watering anyway...so eventually the salts will be washed away.

I used to flush, until I put my plants in to straight expanded coco and nothing adverse happened to them. Not to mention, you are going to be watering anyway...so eventually the salts will be washed away.

thank you....someone with some experience here commenting

M

Mitch Connor

my "wacked" info is straight from the source....personal experience.....however, you, just proved how little you know....yes wow u understand that pH will drift.....on the other hand you say theres no "magic #"....yes there actually is....i personally believe it to be 6.0.....

maybe you need some to get a little experience in gardening then you can talk......its easy for someone who knows what their doing to see that you have no clue what your saying.....

What you personally believe to be the magic number in coco, must be the correct answer for every single person on this planet. Good job, you've just solved world hunger if you've came to that conclusion.

I can already tell what kind of a person you are behind that monitor there bud, and I'm not falling for your little traps. You remind me of gratefulhead, nitpicking every word until you find something you can use to fuel your rage posts... Let me teach you some basics:

You have a hard time understanding and interpreting sentences. I said, "A pH from 5.5-6.2 will do fine. Pick a number between 5.5-6.2 (which you gladly left out in order to nitpick and flame) when making your res, and see, over a period of time, where it drifts so you don't have to add pH down (I didn't say this part because most people who understand their grow, realize this simple step).

Mag doesn't get locked out if not at "your magic number". I've been using 5.5-6.0 for 2 years with no problems. Everyones res will drift at different speeds, due to different nutrients/water source/plant needs. Therefore, there is NO MAGIC NUMBER. Yes, you have YOUR magic number, but my answer is based for more than ONE persons experience.

I know your type, so welcome to my ignore list. Have fun rambling about juvenile things. If you took your head out of your ass, or left your house once in a while, you might learn a thing or two, bud.

Oh, and you might want to read this thread, it's just starting up. Should be a good source of info. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=196264

your an idiot.....with obviously little experience....i dont no how they do things up in canada.....but down here....yes there are magic numbers when it comes to absolute values like pH! it isnt a matter of opinion...which you seem to think it it....its a matter of availibility of elements.....i gaurentee if you pHed at 5.5 (constantly/the whole time) your grow would be fucked in a matter of weeks....severely deprived and on the brink of death.....

your whole "pick a number" concerning pH value is WOW verrrrry informative! no shit rezs will drift over time....how about the people that dont use a rez and mix their nutes on the spot....are you telling them to pH their nutes to 5.5???? if so your flawed advice is very likely to fuck peoples shit up....so stop trying to act like a mr.know it all.....im not trying to "trap" you...i dont even no wtf that means...and i dont no what the fuck type of delusion person you are but the signs are pretty evident

and yes i do believe the magic number to be the appropriate value for EVERYONE...that would be the point of a magic number ( being acceptable for everyone) your soooo blazed over there in canada you cant figure out that a pH value isnt a matter of opinion, as you seem to think it is....the right/correct value is a matter of fact.....its pretty useless to try to explain this to you so ill stop wasting my time

maryanne3087

In Canada we try to not confuse no and know and your and you're multiple times in a single post, especially when calling someone an idiot.

Incognegro

I use Botanicare's Coco, don't rinse, and have no problems.

If you're using RO water with Coco, you'll more than likely need to use Cal-Mag, which I did...had problems with it..i made it work, but had problems... now I use tap, and no need for Cal/Mag or anything else...

I have some Canna Coco I was given as a sample but have yet to use it... it's supposed to be "better" since the coir is shredded finer, but I actually like the texture of Botanicare's Coco...

I only had ph problems when I actually checked the ph...I haven't checked my ph in over a month...no problems...not a Coco newb neither :tiphat:

One Love 731

Veteran
your an idiot.....with obviously little experience....i dont no how they do things up in canada.....but down here....yes there are magic numbers when it comes to absolute values like pH! it isnt a matter of opinion...which you seem to think it it....its a matter of availibility of elements.....i gaurentee if you pHed at 5.5 (constantly/the whole time) your grow would be fucked in a matter of weeks....severely deprived and on the brink of death.....

your whole "pick a number" concerning pH value is WOW verrrrry informative! no shit rezs will drift over time....how about the people that dont use a rez and mix their nutes on the spot....are you telling them to pH their nutes to 5.5???? if so your flawed advice is very likely to fuck peoples shit up....so stop trying to act like a mr.know it all.....im not trying to "trap" you...i dont even no wtf that means...and i dont no what the fuck type of delusion person you are but the signs are pretty evident

and yes i do believe the magic number to be the appropriate value for EVERYONE...that would be the point of a magic number ( being acceptable for everyone) your soooo blazed over there in canada you cant figure out that a pH value isnt a matter of opinion, as you seem to think it is....the right/correct value is a matter of fact.....its pretty useless to try to explain this to you so ill stop wasting my time

Seems to be allot of bad info in this thread. When using straight coco I have never rinsed my blocks, I use Botanicare or Hydrofarm blocks so it may be the difference. As far as ph, ya want it to drift, ph will drift up unless there is a problem in the root zone. 5.5 is a solid #, I set my nutes 5.3-5.5 and let them drift up. Below 5.2 and above 6.2 is were you'll have problems. As you can see if your set point was ph 6.0 it wouldn't be long before it drifted above 6.2 and you'll see problems. The plant uses different nute's at different stages of life. Here's the thing, when ya run 4k watts+, 300+or- gal's of nute solution. Its not something you can afford to be changing all the time. At this point you need to learn what works or ya just wont have time for the other duties. The 5kilo botanicare blocks with 5-6 gal's of CNS 17 1 part coco grow added to RO water @ 700-800 ppm and the ph comes close enough to set point. This is the simple way of doing things, take it for what its worth. Peace, pot and karma. One Love:ying:

Harinama

"your an idiot.....with obviously little experience"

Hey Buddin_904, how about you do us all a favor and calm the fuck down? I've been growing over 25yrs and i'm ALWAYS open to other's viewpoints, especially if they seem to go against common knowledge.

So..are you the noob? Yeah, i think so.

ooooo ive been growing for 25+ years im a fucking big shot look at me.....good for you pal congrats!!!! i dont really give a fuck how many years youve been growing...that doesnt mean shit to me.....your open to others misleading view points of pHing at 5.5...ok yea sure???

this thread sucks dick btw....it is very far off topic, half thanks to me...so i appoligize for that...on the other hand the people who condone flushing of bricks are just absolutely wasting their time.....the only problem with a brick is that it needs to be charged with nutes before usage.....do this and throw in a clone and youll see like the other 10% on here have found out...there are 0 ill effects....IF RUNNING DTW there is no point in flushing!

Hey! I think flushing is unnecessary! :)

laughing.gif