What's new

Breeding ethics

Y

Yard dog

See, that's why it's abstract. I've not been wronged in any way, because I have an open policy on genetics.

Phillthy and I discussed this until we both turned purple. The conclusion: It's stupid to set yourself up for emotional conflict or controversy over things you really have no control over. The better option for the sake of ones mental health, :laughing:, is just to let people have free reign, otherwise you are just setting the stage for conflict to exist.

To take it one step further, no one owns the plant. That notion has been fought against more than any other. The proliferation of cannabis was paramount to the core premise of overgrowing prohibition.

I think, in time, life catches up with everyone and eventually, whether we like it or not, there comes a time to crawl into a ditch and die or spend money to continue existing. It's hard to look at something you have dedicated your life to and then to realize you have nothing to show for it. Genetics, have become a means of establishing identity. For creating reputation. For elevating oneself above others. Ultimately, they have become an economic platform propped up by creative marketing of individual personalities.

This is exactly what cannabis use denounces. Mushrooms, will reveal that fallacy even more clearly. Entheogens, reveal to us the fabric of the universe and if we are willing, reveal to us our truest most vile self for the purpose of cleansing our spirit from that which is our own mind. Cannabis is part of that equation. For me, it IS the equation. It is medicine.

I'm realizing though, even that notion, has been manipulated and abused by others, who understand sociology. Many people have been conned by those who seek only to profit off the passion of individuals who have given their soul to strangers through a plant.

Then again, I've made this "argument" before and that is EXACTLY why I have a new signature. Because it is unfortunately relevant and appropriate.

dank.Frank

Whilst I agree with the notion of this, it does not hold true, If we looked at SamS for example his work/plants have been ripped off more than anyone, For me he did the work therefore he should be respected/acknowledged (and dare I say it paid!!).
The same as if someone has a clone from their work and they give instructions not to pass out, this should be respected.. even if your mate has the said cut and won't give it to you.. Respect them and the originator.

I presume your open policy is a sharing of genetics with no $$ gain? there's profiteers all over the show it would seem in life esp in cannabis seed production after all we have met most of them on these boards and no doubt will again.

Y

Yard dog

Problem starts when we privatize something that dont belong just to us...

this plant evolute in a hands of thousends but inner ego wish everything just
for self,while plant is given to everybody... thats why there is a paradox..

paradox of crying ego that cant accept others will have same as he does...

or maybe he will be overachived with a work that does guy after him,then
again crying wolfs all around how somebody still his work,la la la,etc..

people need to move from their own selfishness if they wish to unveil
a new Heaven... whithouth ego beautifull stuff will happend but folks have hard
time to beat their own devil..

Creation dont belong to some certain ego,creation belongs to superego... or us...
all breeders that made regular seeds are by defoult playing for superego..

those femmed breeders play for profit,they play for ego...

so its easy to choose what kind of breeder you wish to become,does you wish
to give to community further or you choose selfish ways and sell just fem seeds..
think on buiss and dont give a damn about those little one in a chain,dont give
him chance to breed further with your fem seeds..

That is how i sees breeding ethics and keeping creation that does not come from humans,humans didnt invent or create plant so they dont have right to claim creation as their own... its given to humans to use it while we are here on Earth...and thats it,no more no less...

that kind of bullshit talk is just that, it's bullshit.. a hack and a profiteer are just that, if people choose to be ignorant and pay people for overpriced and over hyped seeds that is their call..
It is not about fem bred seeds etc it is about people that profit off the backs of others and have no ethics etc.... Do you think there where no hacks/profiteers before fem seeds?

Storm Shadow

Veteran
speaking of Ethics....

GU of Greenpoint seeds.... hes using SoCal Seeds Chem Male for all his Crosses and not showing 1 bit of recognition for it... the guy dusted all of his gear with it... funny thing is..

SOCal seeds got that male in a pack of seeds from Elite Genetics.... round and round the merry go round ... round and round we gooooooooooooooo

Dog Star

Veteran
that kind of bullshit talk is just that, it's bullshit.. a hack and a profiteer are just that, if people choose to be ignorant and pay people for overpriced and over hyped seeds that is their call..
It is not about fem bred seeds etc it is about people that profit off the backs of others and have no ethics etc.... Do you think there where no hacks/profiteers before fem seeds?

What strains did you breed and who stole your genetics???

B

beanz

speaking of Ethics....

GU of Greenpoint seeds.... hes using SoCal Seeds Chem Male for all his Crosses and not showing 1 bit of recognition for it... the guy dusted all of his gear with it... funny thing is..

SOCal seeds got that male in a pack of seeds from Elite Genetics.... round and round the merry go round ... round and round we gooooooooooooooo

he is now a Sponsor here also .....

Easy7

Veteran
There appears to be a time limit - availabilty clause. After so long, when the original has not been available for years. It's really not right to undersell with a worse product and the same name. It confuses the hell out of newbs, thinking they have an original. I see very little to associate new strains with my interest. Seems new chuckers create a male I know nothing about. The industry grows fast and lamer, all the time. Seeds with no rep to be worth $100 a pack, in my point of view. Not even any pics of testers. Just goobly glop.

Easy7

Veteran
There seems to be a handful of seed makers with product I know anything about. The latest greatest cali cross doesn't resonate with me. There appears to be few distinctions. There appears to be two types of cannabis, if not three.

Chem heritage (most everything)
Non chem heritage (everything else not a landrace or early hybrid)
Land race - early era hybrid

rolandomota

Veteran
Pine tar kush. Anyone.? LOL everyone who makes a seed or grows the plant or has possession of themplant or seed can do whatever they please with it. No one has the right to tell you what to do with YOUR WEED. ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE consume it sell it Or get robbed lol so on and so on it is what it is aplant we love and can consume and easily reproduce do whatever you want i will do the same and life goes on.....

S

sourpuss

Lol its funny the arguements over whos genetics are whos. If your such a great breeder id say there would be no question. Lets have a look at dj short. We all know he bred blueberry. No one has been able to recreate it either. There r so many blueberry crosses its stupid. So why does the blueberry belong to dj? Cause its so unique and unmistakably djs work. When you do something of that magnitude it will belong to you. Regardless of the hacks who steal it and make muddy genetics from your stock.

Last edited:
You buy the seeds, you own the seeds. If you chose to take a breeder's F1 to make F2, I do not see the problem. A competent breeder can do better F2 of their own gear than most people could.

I agree. Except there needs to be a way to keep strain records and lineage. Including due credit to breeders.

Honestly I hope patenting starts taking place, so that breeders who worked hard on their lines can be rewarded fr their efforts instead of it being ripped off and spread everywhere.

In order to encourage more breeding we need to protect the breeders work. If you just give everything away its actually counter productive, because people stop trying to make their own and just use the hottest flavor of the month.

Give credit where credit is due if at all possible. The golden rule is great, but why not try and go further and try the platinum rule? The golden rule is based on a huge assumption, that other people want to be treated the way you want to be treated. Instead, treat them the way they want to be treated, that's the platinum rule/golden mirror. Ask for permission and consent. And not to stir the pot too much, but here are some thoughts from someone who came back to the cannabis world, seed catalogues and forum lurking recently after a decade plus absence. All of these new hype cuts are built on the strains of yesteryear. There really isn't anything new under the sun. And in most cases nobody really knows the truth. Everything came from somewhere and someone before them. So if you want to try and get closer to the source, pick your pony and maybe pony up a little extra money. And to really stir the pot, how come we talk about breeding and profits and only talk about companies run by white guys in the last 30 to 40 years? Everything we buy, grow, clone or whatever today was taken with no real compensation from parts of the world where it had been bred for centuries. I realize that will piss a lot of people off, but it's a truth we in the cannabis community can't deny.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
After seeing all the fuss year after year about whats right and whats wrong on these threads about breeding, and who has the right to stake their claim on genetics it has become a gray area. with many conflicting opinions most of which on the internet are just whispers im the wind.
I think that maybe there should be an offical thread where breeders and cultivators can come and actually write up ideas and policies that actually put some sort of balance to who puts what name genetics or maybe even if they want there line to be out crossed or crossed ethically.
Im guess im saying that there Are no lines drawn when someone makes a cross, maybe it can be openly said on here instead of it being held to the standard of miscommunication.

Its just an idea and maybe it can give a better understanding and direction on the subject

INPUT? CASH MONGERING. ITS HERE.

will aggressive monsanto like lawsuits fly?

The first U.S. utility patent to a hybrid cannabis plant was granted in August 2015, ushering in a new arms race as entities seek broad patent coverage over marijuana strains. In addition to patents covering cannabis plant strains, patents covering processes for extracting compounds from the plant, methods of treatment using cannabis compounds, cannabis lozenges, and myriad cannabis-related accessories are being issued.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2018/01/03/cannabis-patent-wars.html

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Allot of the opinions are based on a pre legalization perspective. Companies like Phylos are doing genetics and giving testers a time stamp registration. Looking at their 'galaxy' or visual database, they've done allot of runs.

If you think pollen chucking or breeding can be a dirty game, watch what happens to claims on genetic rights. It'll be like the dot com name grab game where people grabbed up corporate names. The next step will be ownership and contractual sales. Oligarchs will buy them up and put them on ice so they can sell you Michelob.

The moral of the story is that if you don't want people to mess with your shit, Don't give it to them.

Y

Yard dog

What strains did you breed and who stole your genetics???

I'm not here bitching on fem seeds, If I gave seeds out they'd be given out.. free to do with as one pleases, I wouldn't want anything sold but would understand once they have left my control they are not mine. (I also understand that if seeds were sold with certain caveats than they should be adhered too)
Hacking has been going on since it all began not when fem seeds came!

That is how i sees breeding ethics and keeping creation that does not come from humans,humans didnt invent or create plant so they dont have right to claim creation as their own... its given to humans to use it while we are here on Earth...and thats it,no more no less...

That's hippy dippy bullshit, hahaha do you think the plants we have now didn't need the help of humans? it's because of humans we have the plants we now have... no wait the tribe from out of space sorted it all for us....

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
I'm not here bitching on fem seeds, If I gave seeds out they'd be given out.. free to do with as one pleases, I wouldn't want anything sold but would understand once they have left my control they are not mine. (I also understand that if seeds were sold with certain caveats than they should be adhered too)
Hacking has been going on since it all began not when fem seeds came!

That's hippy dippy bullshit, hahaha do you think the plants we have now didn't need the help of humans? it's because of humans we have the plants we now have... no wait the tribe from out of space sorted it all for us....

I never argue with plain stupid... they beat you with experience...

also mine first post is so prophetic that i found crying wolf that
never breeds any and no body still him nothing... but here it
is he cry for other people work... now how stupid you need to be
to have mental projections on stuff that never happends in your
life.. ??

thats why i avoiding any argue with guy that is full as cesspool...

Y

Yard dog

^ does Canis major genetics sell seed? or do you give them away? How do you know what I do in life? or what I've done? How do you know what I've had stole? It's not me crying wolf here! it's you!!

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
Canis Major Genetics dont answer stupid questions to please plain stupid person
cause he wish so...

we have much higher standards at CMG... and can recognize inteligent partner
in talk... also we can recognize stupid ones and prevent further trolling cause
we are much wiser..

CMG forever... ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts