What's new

bobblehead's organic bedroom of high brix gardening

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Bobble, maybe you missed my questions.

How does the design of your beds accommodate drainage and aeration? Are the bottoms metal screen with fabric on top? Is there a catchment for runoff?

bobblehead

Veteran
Bobble, maybe you missed my questions.

How does the design of your beds accommodate drainage and aeration? Are the bottoms metal screen with fabric on top? Is there a catchment for runoff?

Yeah sorry I missed that one. I have a layer of grow rocks on the bottom with holes in the bottom of the beds with bulkheads. The bulkheads aren't hooked up to anything because there isn't any runoff. I only irrigate up to 10 gallons at a time in a 4' X 8' X 1' bed.

LSWM

I'm as cool as a cucumber, that's how chill I am. Let the riff raff keep rolling in! lol

Go to the grocery store, and buy the organic bananas and buy the regular bananas. Then come back and tell me which tastes better. I've had poorly grown organic samples and I've had excellent grown synthetic samples. The very best has always been organic with some synthetic samples coming in a close second. I'm in a market where I have to have the best of the best or I'm going to have a difficult time unloading overrages.

There's a few contributing factors. I don't believe jack's has trace and ultra trace minerals, just the macro and micro. The Nitrogen balance with synthetic ferts is in favor of nitrates (NO3) which pull more water into the plant, diluting down the BRIX, or the sugar content. The increased level of nitrates also makes it so the plant grows a smaller root system. I've always been told to grow the roots, not the plant. Organic gardening grows more roots. Synthetic ferts also lower the plants natural immunity by lowering the BRIX and allowing sap sucking insects easy access to that sweet nectar they crave. I posted a link to a video about this in the beginning of the thread. A plant with low BRIX actually attracts pests, whereas a plant with high BRIX doesn't. High BRIX = natural immunity.

I can go on and on, but I've already touched on most of this earlier in the thread.

The varying quality of grocery store samples is what led me to my confusion. I've mostly attributed the extra quality of said organic bananas to more individual plant care or better environment/locale, rather than actual organic practices. Although the general lack of pesticide use is why I buy and will continue to buy organic veggies at the market.

I appreciate the input on the NO3 and the Brix levels. The sugar dilution is something I have never heard of, I will have to look into it more.

I have to say, the last peppers I grew out of coco and Jack's were by far the sweetest and most flavorful peppers I have ever grown. Too many factors to attribute it to hydroponics but damn were they good!

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
It's starting to get rowdy in here. .. They let anyone in this place.
thas nuthin, wait til i kidnap ich's chickens and turn em loose in yer hoity toity sludge pond!
20130826heneatingworm.jpg

:laughing:

Maina

Veteran
Lol yup lets keep teaching The secrets on organics and drive $$$$ down ! Just giving you shit :biggrin:

bobblehead

Veteran
Lol yup lets keep teaching The secrets on organics and drive $$$$ down ! Just giving you shit :biggrin:

First someone would have to read, and then implement. I think the secrets are safe... not to mention the market is going to shit as it is. Most of us will be pushed out if we don't already have plans to step out.

Although I did just get a call yesterday asking where I've been... lol good to know I'm valued for the time being.

Maina

Veteran
Yea it's kinda bull shit when the info is there! But people just won't do there own home work :moon: . I could never get that my self

Mister_D

Veteran
By your own flawed reasoning, since my beds are over a year old they don't need to cook. I sprouted a bunch of seed in them to help bring them out of dormancy. Even better than EWC tea, I have live worms crawling around in my beds. :) can't beat that with a stick. Just add water, BAM, EWC tea with every irrigation.

I treat my beds like a bioreactor.

:laughing: Ah bobble, coming from someone who is such a big proponent of reading you sure do miss a lot. I said about a year, more or less depending on how much effort you put into your mix (the fact that you have/had spider mites after a year shows the lack of "effort" you've put into your beds. By effort, I don't mean dumping a bunch of shit half randomly into your soil and thinking miracles are going to happen). Having worms in your bed (though wonderful and a great idea over all) is not the same as adding worm tea's, not even close. And yes BYF is correct most of those touting tea's at places like this are trying to sell you something. That however doesn't mean, when done properly, that there isn't a great deal of usefulness in adding teas. If you don't agree, then you better just toss out that ogbiowar shit. Remember, that's a tea and obviously it does nothing for anyone that uses it :laughing:

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I don't use OGBIOWAR. I think that product is garbage. It's 70% talcum powder. If you want to order it direct from India i can show you the on it comes from

milkyjoe

Veteran
The point being to me at least...the root exudates of a healthy mj plant specifically feed the microbes that have a symbiotic relationship with the plant. Teas can not provide that specificity. Aint saying they don't provide microbes...just saying they don't hit the target as accurately

Mister_D

Veteran
I don't use OGBIOWAR. I think that product is garbage. It's 70% talcum powder. If you want to order it direct from India i can show you the on it comes from

I agree there are much better sources of bennies. However, I was just using something bobble has experience with to illustrate the usefulness of teas.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I agree there are much better sources of bennies. However, I was just using something bobble has experience with to illustrate the usefulness of teas.

Teas aren't that useful if you're doing it right though, because a healthy microbial network is grown and multiplied much faster by a healthy root system...:tiphat:

bobblehead

Veteran
I dropped ogbiowar a while ago in favor of tainio. Fyi, reading comprehension and pot calling the kettle black... :moon:

Mister_D

Veteran
I dropped ogbiowar a while ago in favor of tainio. Fyi, reading comprehension and pot calling the kettle black... :moon:

I do believe I explained in my last post I was using it as an example to illustrate a point ;) So kettle calling the pot, calling the pot kettle? :laughing: