What's new

bobblehead's organic bedroom of high brix gardening

bobblehead

Veteran
Looks like good stuff to me :biggrin:. I'd strongly encourage you to "get wild", invest in some high quality worm castings, and start making tea with it at least once a week. I believe I once told you a pound of quality castings is worth more than a pound of gold :scripture:. And of course no organic garden is complete without freshly harvested hippy tears :biggrin:. That's the key to getting two lbs. per light :peek:

By your own flawed reasoning, since my beds are over a year old they don't need to cook. I sprouted a bunch of seed in them to help bring them out of dormancy. Even better than EWC tea, I have live worms crawling around in my beds. :) can't beat that with a stick. Just add water, BAM, EWC tea with every irrigation.

I treat my beds like a bioreactor.

bobblehead

Veteran
12". I would go with 18" doing it over again, but 12" is good. I might put up a fabric barrier and build them up a bit in the future.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I see soil beds in my future. I was really happy with what I had going with small pots and coco, but evidently my grow scene was taken down by fusarium... a long frustrating nightmare. From my reading it seems that I have two alternatives; a chemically inert media with constantly monitored chlorine levels in the reservoirs, or a biologically active organic soil with fusarium killing inoculates. I'm often gone for two weeks at a time so there's no way for me to maintain steady chlorine levels.

bobblehead

Veteran
Plants didn't evolve to grow in sterile systems. Growing synthetically is taking a step back in evolution and inviting problems into your garden. I don't have to do anything but add water at this point... my plants will stay happy to the end. The additives are just a bonus and a minor part of the grow.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Instead of trying to maintain cannabis as the only living organism in the room, seems it would be easier and more productive to fill the room with cannabis friendly organisms that work for me.

How does the design of your beds accommodate drainage and aeration? Are the bottoms metal screen with fabric on top? Is there a catchment for runoff?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
funny how you don't acknowledge or respond to BYF

who said the smartest things in the past 2 pages. What gives dude? Don't like his smart and correct inputs?

Anyone growing in real organic soil knows the true key to success.

Growing the soil, not the plants.

I'm shocked how complicated you folks make this seem. Makes organics so unappealing...

Thats why synthetics are winning... in our gardens and everyday lives.

Its highly advisable to go to your local community college and take a soils class if there is a horticulture department.

That way there is little to no misinterpretation of information, or confusion between opinions.

bobblehead

Veteran
funny how you don't acknowledge or respond to BYF

who said the smartest things in the past 2 pages. What gives dude? Don't like his smart and correct inputs?

Anyone growing in real organic soil knows the true key to success.

Growing the soil, not the plants.

I'm shocked how complicated you folks make this seem. Makes organics so unappealing...

Thats why synthetics are winning... in our gardens and everyday lives.

Its highly advisable to go to your local community college and take a soils class if there is a horticulture department.

That way there is little to no misinterpretation of information, or confusion between opinions.

Me? BYF and I are in agreement, he doesn't need my help dropping knowledge. We've read a lot of the same materials, but he grows on a completely different scale from me. What could I possibly contribute to enhance his posts?

I doubt BYF has his panties in a bunch... lol. He sold me on this methodology of growing.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Plants didn't evolve to grow in sterile systems. Growing synthetically is taking a step back in evolution and inviting problems into your garden. I don't have to do anything but add water at this point... my plants will stay happy to the end. The additives are just a bonus and a minor part of the grow.
they didn't evolve to grow indoors either!
:laughing:

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Me? BYF and I are in agreement, he doesn't need my help dropping knowledge. We've read a lot of the same materials, but he grows on a completely different scale from me. What could I possibly contribute to enhance his posts?

I doubt BYF has his panties in a bunch... lol. He sold me on this methodology of growing.

yeah you man :biggrin:, glad to know, i respect the guy a lot. He keeps it real, people don't like that.

What would you say was the main factor contributing to you being sold on this method to grow?

LSWM

It's starting to get rowdy in here. .. They let anyone in this place.

Rowdy huh? Coming from an organic bed grower I'd expect nothing but chill vibes. Personally, I have wondered about organic vs hydroponic fed plants for ages. Much longer than I've been growing herb. Do those organic peppers really taste better and have more nutrients then my Jack's fed peppers? I've yet to make any solid determination.

yeah you man :biggrin:, glad to know, i respect the guy a lot. He keeps it real, people don't like that.

What would you say was the main factor contributing to you being sold on this method to grow?

Yes, please tell!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking good bobblehead!

nutrients get made available by microbes which require roots ...

microbes dont require roots, the soil is full of microbes anyway. they will still be at work breaking down the organic matter etc, plants or not.

the plant root exudates will infuence the populations of microbes in the rhizosphere/rootzone and this will allow the plant to an extent to control the nutrition created by the microbes.

VG

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Bobble you made me decide to run organic recycled soil for my next indoor grow. I'm thinking instead of soil beds i will just plant in 200gal smartpots. Also want to set up a drip system to keep everything watered when i'm out of town. any thoughts?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
looking good bobblehead!

microbes dont require roots, the soil is full of microbes anyway. they will still be at work breaking down the organic matter etc, plants or not.

the plant root exudates will infuence the populations of microbes in the rhizosphere/rootzone and this will allow the plant to an extent to control the nutrition created by the microbes.

VG

There may be microbes with no roots but there's no nutrient cycling with out them, that is the purpose of microbiology. You can load the soil up as much as you want , check the EC...it may spike briefly , but it won't stay active until there's a plant growing in the soil.

bobblehead

Veteran

I would rather someone tells me my grow sucks than have someone lie to me and make shit up... I appreciate candor.

The samples are what sold me on organics. That, and studying health care, I've learned a lot of biology, as well as some chemistry. I'm a firm believer that nutrition or lack thereof is the root cause of most disease in people, and the same holds true for plants.

The best buds I've ever smoked were organic. When I grew with synthetics, the highest lab score I achieved was 23%. Now I've beat that score several times since switching to living organics, and the quality of my product has improved in other areas like yield and aroma.

Rowdy huh? Coming from an organic bed grower I'd expect nothing but chill vibes. Personally, I have wondered about organic vs hydroponic fed plants for ages. Much longer than I've been growing herb. Do those organic peppers really taste better and have more nutrients then my Jack's fed peppers? I've yet to make any solid determination.

Yes, please tell!

I'm as cool as a cucumber, that's how chill I am. Let the riff raff keep rolling in! lol

Go to the grocery store, and buy the organic bananas and buy the regular bananas. Then come back and tell me which tastes better. I've had poorly grown organic samples and I've had excellent grown synthetic samples. The very best has always been organic with some synthetic samples coming in a close second. I'm in a market where I have to have the best of the best or I'm going to have a difficult time unloading overrages.

There's a few contributing factors. I don't believe jack's has trace and ultra trace minerals, just the macro and micro. The Nitrogen balance with synthetic ferts is in favor of nitrates (NO3) which pull more water into the plant, diluting down the BRIX, or the sugar content. The increased level of nitrates also makes it so the plant grows a smaller root system. I've always been told to grow the roots, not the plant. Organic gardening grows more roots. Synthetic ferts also lower the plants natural immunity by lowering the BRIX and allowing sap sucking insects easy access to that sweet nectar they crave. I posted a link to a video about this in the beginning of the thread. A plant with low BRIX actually attracts pests, whereas a plant with high BRIX doesn't. High BRIX = natural immunity.

I can go on and on, but I've already touched on most of this earlier in the thread.

looking good bobblehead!

VG

Thanks VG. I'm sure you would agree that decomposition is accelerated when roots are present releasing exudates!

Smoking silver's funky-ass organic diggety, that's what

Duh

:laughing: Even Silver can grow decent weed with organics.

Bobble you made me decide to run organic recycled soil for my next indoor grow. I'm thinking instead of soil beds i will just plant in 200gal smartpots. Also want to set up a drip system to keep everything watered when i'm out of town. any thoughts?

Yeah man smart pots will work just fine, just make sure they have good drainage on the bottom. I lined the bottom of my beds with grow stones. My suggestion is to send a sample of your soil off to the lab so you know what you're working with before you go and add anything. If I had my soil tested sooner I wouldn't have added as much to it as I did. It seems to be working now...

Also i can't stress environment enough.. That matters more than the whole organic vs. synthetic debate. I try to keep the temp around 75F, humidity no lower than 50%. I'd like to have it higher but I'm venting into my house right now.

Check out the wireless irrigation caddy or w/e the controller was the BYF mentioned a few pages back. Get some wireless moisture sensor tags and then you can irrigate from anywhere in the world that has wifi or cell reception, when the plants need it! You can even buy a flow meter so you know how much water you've used. I haven't got around to setting mine up yet.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Bobblehead you have the best plants ever. I just can't believe how fast they grow. You must be the best grower I have ever seen anywhere and in the past or present. I bet you could grow a pebble into a mountain in less than a week.

Keep up the great work you are such a insperation.

bobblehead

Veteran
U mean u don't like the DEDHEADFRED treatment, my grobro?

That's an excellent example.

Bobblehead you have the best plants ever. I just can't believe how fast they grow. You must be the best grower I have ever seen anywhere and in the past or present. I bet you could grow a pebble into a mountain in less than a week.

Keep up the great work you are such a insperation.

This is exactly the candor I appreciate. Thank you Ichabod.:laughing: