What's new

bobblehead overtakes

bobblehead

Veteran
These are bobblehead's flooded posts...

picture.php

3/4" pvc fitting screws into the bulkhead...
picture.php

Insert plants here..
picture.php

picture.php

I filled the corners of the caps with silicon before putting them on top of the posts. It turns out that they don't fit tight, so PVC cement doesn't work...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So as you can see I'm back at it. Strong body, strong mind... Well I was the weakest I've been in a long time, but now I'm getting stronger. I went back up north, and still didn't have water. So I had thought out a plan to thaw the pipes buy running tubing through the pipe that carries the tubing from the well pump to the crawlspace... and then I would pump warm water through the new tubing to keep the other tubing warm... So I opened up the hatch to the well pit, lifted some plastic I put down to help contain heat, a buncha water fell off the plastic, down said pipe with tubing... and next thing I knew, I had water. ha ha... I think the shit-storm is over. I was freaking out though, cause I mean I can't grow without water, and I can't call a plumber... and on top of it there is some serious mold going on under my house... I had good reason to freak out.

Anyway, back to these posts... b/c they came together really easy, and I only had 1 small drip of a leak that's easily fixed with silicone... They're 5"x5"x5", and can be put on several different heights, and they'll only fill up to a certain level... Some can fill faster than others, but they'll never be overfull or underfull. Expect to see more flooded posts from me.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Are the post used for cloning? Or are they for a SOG?

Remember that you make your money when you buy a house and every thing after is gravy. Then you can dump if need be. Slow or stop the mold and get back to growing, I need the grow updates more than I need to learn to build. I have three builders licenses and only one grow license. Look at my plants man and have pity on me for crying out load. I am only getting about 0.7 GPW.

D

DHF

So....Back in bidness......Water on site and things movin forward I see....Yas usin the posts for cuts as well as pre-veg ?.....

There`s room for 432 cuts in those 6 pack holders with whatchas got now , so more than plenty enough cuts to take picks of the litter and then do whatchas want with what`s left over....

Usedta compost mine , but I didn`t live in medville where yas can always do somethin with extra plant matter if yas got room ta cycle em out....

Anyways....Glad yas got shit goin yer way Brozini...More ebb and flow posts in the future huh....?...

One thing to remember is they`re not lightproof and every hole that has juice runnin through it and not covered with plant holders will grow algae like a mofo on the insides from the HID lights above.....Hell....I see algae on the perlite in the lil containers as we speak.....

Not sure if it`ll be problematic or not.....Hopin not....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.....

bobblehead

Veteran
I KNEW you would solve the water problem, nice work Bro!

Thanks bro... Failure isn't an option... but I didn't want to learn how to plumb a house yet.

Are the post used for cloning? Or are they for a SOG?

Remember that you make your money when you buy a house and every thing after is gravy. Then you can dump if need be. Slow or stop the mold and get back to growing, I need the grow updates more than I need to learn to build. I have three builders licenses and only one grow license. Look at my plants man and have pity on me for crying out load. I am only getting about 0.7 GPW.

The posts are for vegging.. I might be making more for cloning. I will definitely be making more for walls of flood and drain posts. I also have a chiller... So maybe I'll get really wild and go NFT or SWC...

.7gpw is still good. Better than my last harvest, which was around .5gpw. I didn't keep track exactly... Learning to grow well takes time, and you'll still have a bad crop from time to time as a seasoned grower. That's what most of the pros don't tell ya. You will never have a perfect grow. Something will always be wrong.

So....Back in bidness......Water on site and things movin forward I see....Yas usin the posts for cuts as well as pre-veg ?.....

There`s room for 432 cuts in those 6 pack holders with whatchas got now , so more than plenty enough cuts to take picks of the litter and then do whatchas want with what`s left over....

Usedta compost mine , but I didn`t live in medville where yas can always do somethin with extra plant matter if yas got room ta cycle em out....

Anyways....Glad yas got shit goin yer way Brozini...More ebb and flow posts in the future huh....?...

One thing to remember is they`re not lightproof and every hole that has juice runnin through it and not covered with plant holders will grow algae like a mofo on the insides from the HID lights above.....Hell....I see algae on the perlite in the lil containers as we speak.....

Not sure if it`ll be problematic or not.....Hopin not....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.....

Those posts are just for veg. I'm going to use another area for clones/moms. I want to veg in those 6 site flats, so like ya said, 432 plants... Plenty to pick from to feed 2+ rooms.

My thoughts are to fill the posts with hydroton, and keep the water level under the hydroton. I've been wanting to try flood and drain buckets in a vert SOG setup, but the cost was prohibitive using 2gal buckets... Posts are cheap. I'm cleaning out the kitchen, and moving my bed into the kitchen. This frees up a 10'x12' room, also elevated a couple feet higher than the reservoir room. I plan on framing it out, strapping posts to studs, plumb, and away I go... All the walls full of posts, and in the middle either a double sided wall of posts, or a wall of trees... I also have a 3'x8'x8' for plants on the ground to get moving on... That should come together real fast though.

Algae is no big deal honestly... Unless they're going to clog something, but that would be excessive algae growth. It's in no way parasitic, it just eats a little bit of nutrients. I've always had algae grow on the top of my perlite...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Learning to grow well takes time, and you'll still have a bad crop from time to time as a seasoned grower. That's what most of the pros don't tell ya. You will never have a perfect grow. Something will always be wrong.

What I can't be perfect? Damn, I might as well give up now.:wallbash:

D

DHF

Ok.....Yas wanna go flood and drain up the walls ?.....I see whatchas did with the male/slip pvc fitting inside the bulkhead for an overflow where juice won`t go any higher , and .........

I couldn`t see a reason for the lil clay balls ta be much higher up than flood level if yas`re gonna set plants down in to take root by nestling netpots or whatever down into the hydroton to cover the rootzone.....but...

Best thing I ever did with my ebb and flow buckets was to employ a "thru-hull bait aerator" in my rez`s that came on 30 minutes before every feed cycle and kept juice stirred up with millions of microscopic bubbles of dissolved oxygen suspended in solution bein blasted to the plants rootzones while pushing all leftover stagnant O2 up thru the lava rocks , and when feed pumps kicked off.......

My drain pumps then sucked juice back as fast as was possible pullin fresh O2 down through and back into each rootzone for that perfect 1-2 combo killin 2 birds with 1 stone....and Bobbles.......

We all follow our own path and doin it Bobble`s way will happen in it`s own time frame....

I see you`ve got the opinion that the pro`s don`t disclose...everything...and I`m willing to say that a lot gets swept under the door as the most important things try to get explained , but it`s not intended to make folks fuck up and find out for themselves about the little things that mean just as much in their own right for a dialed setup......so...

No one`s perfect...especially my old tired ass , so just do the best you can and learn from past mistakes cuz this shit ain`t free....

I`ve murdered 1000`s of plants on the path to Nirvana.....Most will repeat said process if they`re serious about success with our lil hobby.....

Goin fishin....almost 70 degrees in Hell and last week of February....I ain`t bitchin cuz it`s `0 12 and the world`s comin to an end.....BBQ and catfish fry at Fred`s crib....Ya`ll come ....

Holler....Freds....:ying:.....

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
Ok.....Yas wanna go flood and drain up the walls ?.....I see whatchas did with the male/slip pvc fitting inside the bulkhead for an overflow where juice won`t go any higher , and .........

I couldn`t see a reason for the lil clay balls ta be much higher up than flood level if yas`re gonna set plants down in to take root by nestling netpots or whatever down into the hydroton to cover the rootzone.....but...

Best thing I ever did with my ebb and flow buckets was to employ a "thru-hull bait aerator" in my rez`s that came on 30 minutes before every feed cycle and kept juice stirred up with millions of microscopic bubbles of dissolved oxygen suspended in solution bein blasted to the plants rootzones while pushing all leftover stagnant O2 up thru the lava rocks , and when feed pumps kicked off.......

My drain pumps then sucked juice back as fast as was possible pullin fresh O2 down through and back into each rootzone for that perfect 1-2 combo killin 2 birds with 1 stone....and Bobbles.......

We all follow our own path and doin it Bobble`s way will happen in it`s own time frame....

I see you`ve got the opinion that the pro`s don`t disclose......and I`m willing to say that a lot gets swept under the door as the most important things try to get explained , but it`s not intended to make folks fuck up and find out for themselves about the litle things that mean just as much in their own right for a dialed setup......so...

No one`s perfect...especially my old tired ass , so just do the best you can and learn from past mistakes cuz this shit ain`t free....

Goin fishin....almost 70 degrees in Hell and last week of February....I ain`t bitchin....

Holler....Freds....:ying:.....

Did you use a bait aerator in combination with a powerhead? b/c I keep powerheads in my reservoirs already. I could make it so that they suck air into the res by adding some tubing... I'll get on that.

I'm not hating on anyone... but, since Heath is so popular, we're gonna pick on him some more... I was over at the cb reading through Heath's threads, trying to absorb some knowledge... and I've gotta say the same thread on a different forum was way more informative. But... Heath shared a horizontal grow while he was building the flooded tubes, and it took a while to finish the tubes b/c he wanted to get everything just right. Well what were those things he was busy getting right? SoQuick did the same thing. He came in, set up ebb and flow buckets, bam! Donkey Dick AK47 colas. Northern Farmer... and then you get a buncha peeps popping in wanting to replicate the results, but they don't know what went into making the setup, and why it is the way it is. This is why this method is better than that method... How many threads are there where the little guy becomes a big guy? Who shares their growing pains? That's why I remember yamaha_fan1. He went in balls to the walls, learning as he went. He just made enough to pay the bills at first... and then he was looking for a second location. He's gone, I'm here now.

I don't mean any disrespect... Everyone is a good grower when they're growing a few plants in a closet. It takes a great grower to run things on a large scale. I'm not making a career out of this, so I'm ok with sharing the journey...

D

DHF

Heath didn`t hold much interest over at Care Bear Central which more than explains what you`re gettin at cuz those are all old heads that he didn`t elaborate on much cuz they supposedly already knew what was goin on....and yeah....

I`ve seen him teach more at other sites with more detailed explanations , and for the most part I`d haveta say that it`s just like me....

I`d rather help younger folks that need it in more public sites rather than argue with old heads bout why it works and how come they never got that far in their invite only site med organic pursuit....No offense intended........

My 2 cents...Freds....:ying:....

bobblehead

Veteran
Heath didn`t hold much interest over at Care Bear Central which more than explains what you`re gettin at cuz those are all old heads that he didn`t elaborate on much cuz they supposedly already knew what was goin on....and yeah....

I`ve seen him teach more at other sites with more detailed explanations , and for the most part I`d haveta say that it`s just like me....

I`d rather help younger folks that need it in more public sites rather than argue with old heads bout why it works and how come they never got that far in their invite only site med organic pursuit....No offense intended........

My 2 cents...Freds....:ying:....

Actually I meant that the thread on cb was better than rollitup, which I can only read pieces of... and it's not here at ic... So maybe it's my own fault for being late to the party. I can't expect you old farts to go into the past and take pics and answer questions and build my rooms for me... :moon:

I'm not hating on anyone... but, since Heath is so popular, we're gonna pick on him some more... I was over at the cb reading through Heath's threads, trying to absorb some knowledge... and I've gotta say the same thread on a different forum was way more informative. But... Heath shared a horizontal grow while he was building the flooded tubes, and it took a while to finish the tubes b/c he wanted to get everything just right. Well what were those things he was busy getting right? SoQuick did the same thing. He came in, set up ebb and flow buckets, bam! Donkey Dick AK47 colas. Northern Farmer... and then you get a buncha peeps popping in wanting to replicate the results, but they don't know what went into making the setup, and why it is the way it is. This is why this method is better than that method... How many threads are there where the little guy becomes a big guy? Who shares their growing pains? That's why I remember yamaha_fan1. He went in balls to the walls, learning as he went. He just made enough to pay the bills at first... and then he was looking for a second location. He's gone, I'm here now.

I don't mean any disrespect... Everyone is a good grower when they're growing a few plants in a closet. It takes a great grower to run things on a large scale. I'm not making a career out of this, so I'm ok with sharing the journey...

I think the key is equality. Throughout the system and the plants. You know, like with the feed delivery system. Where each and every plant gets exactly what it needs. Not one plant site is at a disadvantage. Every plant going in, exactly the same. Equalized so that if the plant should yield say 30g, each plant does. Every one. Not some at 40g and some at 17g.

Management of time, plants and environment. Each mistake costs on yield. No room for errors if you're going to pull those huge gpw numbers. Perfection is a goal, not a state. Sometimes we hit it, but mostly we strive for it.

The bigger you go, the more room for error. And they're amplified. Seems more exponential than linear also. It just gets harder to notice every little thing. Sometimes you don't see it till it's in your face.

I must say Bobble, that I am impressed with your willingess to post it all. Good, bad, and ugly. Not just cherry picked grows. Props.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Looking legit my buddy! Glad its starting to get back together for ya, only one way to go now brosk... UP!

Stay Tight
HGO

G

Groseph

I'm cleaning out the kitchen, and moving my bed into the kitchen
Love it... who wants to sleep in a bedroom anyways. I'd park myself right next to the hot water tank if that space wasn't already filled up too. ;) Reminds me of a cat here who would dry in his bedroom and would literally have to crawl to his bed to sleep at night..plants hanging all over above.

Looking forward to see what you can do with the flood tubes. Jonjaffer was a big inspiration to me back in the OG days. I've replicated his system once here, but a change of names accidentally wiped out the pictures on that account. We ran them SWC style and would just have a 6in pipe with fast moving water over flow down to the next pipe..and then back to the res. Hung them in a stadium shape to keep the floor open....it an awesome way to run with little grow waste and no consumables such as coco. The speed of the flow allowed us to run without airstones and pythium and the alike impossible to flourish.

D

DHF

Oh....Ok....Forgot about those euro sites where all his shit`s chopped up and in all different parts of each site if yas can even find em......anyways...

Yeah.....I hadta run powerheads to keep juice stirred up due to big ass rez`s , but the thru-hull bait aerators were on a timer to come on 30 mins before feed so all the juice would be holding as much dissolved oxygen as was possible by the time feed pumps kicked on....anyways....

Holler if I can help...Freds....:ying:.....

Hey man I feel you on the ups and downs man, shit in one of my flower rooms I lost 3 crops which ate up about 4months of no production. I guess that's what I get for trying water culture. It sucks, but you gotta know you will bounce back soon. Once you get over the hump, everything is gravy.

bobblehead

Veteran
Hey man I feel you on the ups and downs man, shit in one of my flower rooms I lost 3 crops which ate up about 4months of no production. I guess that's what I get for trying water culture. It sucks, but you gotta know you will bounce back soon. Once you get over the hump, everything is gravy.

Thanks bro... I've got a couple of really great growers steering me in the right direction... I'm confident from here on out, it's gonna be gravy. That's not to say that I won't have problems... but I'm gonna try to not get in my own way anymore.

So after a whole buncha thought and a long PM... I've decided "it's kinda hard to beat DTW coco"... I've had 2 people tell me this... So I will setup a room or 2 with these posts to hold pots and collect runoff... and send it down the drain. That way I can be sure each and every plant is receiving adequate feed, is pH and EC balanced, etc... I already have 100 blumats, so I'll be using them of course. I'm just not putting all my eggs in the blumat basket. I've been advised to use the old bulletproof 10-15% runoff method... I wasn't advised to go ebb n flow... Top fed coco doesn't need 100g of juice pumped around the room... tubing to feed, tubing to drain. K.I.S.S.

Anyway... I have to order more pond liner...

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
^^^^ I couldn't agree more, bobble. Coco DTW with 10-15% run-off is a fool proof way to grow pot very quickly, sandwitch your coco with hydroton for drainage and evaporation for an extra kick. You know I always rave about coco DTW, for good reason bro, it's consistent and as long as you keep EC's on the low-medium side with multi feeds your going to grow very strong plants at an incredible speed and you ain't wasting anything, come harvest time I always say hell what did I waste?

HGO

Last edited:

woolybear

Veteran
^^^^ I couldn't agree more, bobble. Coco DTW with 10-15% run-off is a fool proof way to grow pot very quickly, sandwitch your coco with hydroton for drainage and evaporation for an extra kick. You know I always rave about coco DTW, for good reason bro, it's consistent and as long as you keep EC's on the low-medium side with multi feeds your going to grow very strong plants at an incredible speed and you ain't wasting anything, come harvest time I always say hell what did I waste?

HGO

i might have to give this a try again

tried coco last year, could've get any plants beyond their 5th node due to root aphids/something else... switched to 100% perlite and no problem

so maybe instead of hydroton perlite for me. got a spare brick

thanks bobble and all the contributors

Last edited by a moderator:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
i might have to give this a try again

tried coco last year, could've get any plants beyond their 5th node due to root aphids/something else... switched to 100% perlite and no problem

so maybe instead of hydroton perlite for me. got a spare brick

thanks bobble and all the contributors

How often were you feeding when you grew in coco last time? Damn aphids! Don't let that stop ya, when coco is dialed I'd fair my bets on it vs DWC! A bold statement I know :D:D

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Glad to hear you've bounced back stronger bobble :)

Jon Jaffer and Krusty had an epic tear up about those posts on OG as Krusty did when someone isn't growing in buckets with lava rock :D lmao!!

I used to really like jaffers posts, yielded very well and is a tidy design. The only thing that scared me about them was they were hung from the ceiling and I don't like having to use chiller etc I'm real KISS like that though.