What's new

Blynx's 1 sqft CFL cab & other CFL micro cabs

glockdoc

lets do some critical thinking hey guys!!?!?!
ill start of this topic of discussion with this....i have been in arguments on another forum in the past about the subject of watts. the debate being whether or not watts and lumens add up. now today i was bored and decided to check up on blynx's updates and got to thinking ..and for some reason thought about this past argument i had....ive read alot of blynx's documents and blynx i really need your insight and others as well. IMO the average yield of your cab with the exceptions of some runs; would u agree that you avg. bout 30-45 grams per run?!?! i thought of that..then thought of the opposing argument about how watts and lumens dont add up and then it dawn'd upon me.. what if maybe, possibly..the opposing argument is somewhat right. lets assume watts dont add up and you blynx are using 42w bulbs...we can somewhat see that it COULD be true...and if it is/was true..then blynx you are killing it. that means u get .7-1 gpw consistently..

i would love to think that watts and lumens do in fact add up but if u look at it the other way then its more reasonable. i bet if u used 65w yields would skyrocket. maybe use the same amount of watts u currently use but with 65w see what happens...??!!..

feedback from all especially u blynx

Buju09

Not speaking for the man by any means, but I've read the thread for a while and.. I believe that he uses 23w bulbs... 5x23 = 115w and 5x42 = 210w

The only cab I would imagine him using the 42w would be a scrog. But I believe the knowledge that this thread imparted on me was the lumens/per watt on the 23watt cfl plus the amount of heat created by them really worked well in this micro situation. These factors need to be balanced when designing a micro box and the success of his 11"x 11" and 1sqft and scrog box speak to this idea.

Buddle

Veteran
i recall getting the same answer you gave buju when I asked Blynx about the size of the bulbs he uses.Not sure how you missed it glock as I think its been covered here a few times but it is a long thread.
Your passion and commitment is as entertaining as ever Blynx..

Last edited:

glockdoc

im not concerned about blynxs actions on his cab. i was just doing some critical thinks guys lol. like i said i was in an argument about how watts and lumens dont add up. i think they do or would like to think, but after going thru this thread someone could start to think or we can start to see that watts really dont add up like we would like to assume i suppose.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
glockdoc - It all sounds interesting but (please don't take this the wrong way) maybe Blynx's cab thread is not the place for this? I reckon start a thread all of your own drawing examples from threads such as this. Please take this constructively...

glockdoc

i gotcha hummus ;) sry blynx.. blynx has done alot of excellent documenting that it would make my thought easier to point out to others.

B

Bag

bigger isnt alwasy better, unless its boobies !! any updates? cant stand last page to have no pics !

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lets do some critical thinking hey guys!!?!?!
ill start of this topic of discussion with this....i have been in arguments on another forum in the past about the subject of watts. the debate being whether or not watts and lumens add up. now today i was bored and decided to check up on blynx's updates and got to thinking ..and for some reason thought about this past argument i had....ive read alot of blynx's documents and blynx i really need your insight and others as well. IMO the average yield of your cab with the exceptions of some runs; would u agree that you avg. bout 30-45 grams per run?!?! i thought of that..then thought of the opposing argument about how watts and lumens dont add up and then it dawn'd upon me.. what if maybe, possibly..the opposing argument is somewhat right. lets assume watts dont add up and you blynx are using 42w bulbs...we can somewhat see that it COULD be true...and if it is/was true..then blynx you are killing it. that means u get .7-1 gpw consistently..

i would love to think that watts and lumens do in fact add up but if u look at it the other way then its more reasonable. i bet if u used 65w yields would skyrocket. maybe use the same amount of watts u currently use but with 65w see what happens...??!!..

feedback from all especially u blynx

I will give my opinion to your questions, but I'm not responding to start a debate, nor to encourage one in this thread.

Lumens do not add up (at least not to a statistically significant amount).

When it comes to cfls, imo, the more sources of light the better. I'd rather have 4 x 23w cfls vs a single 100w cfl.

Here's a couple things to think about concerning light/cfls.

The lumen rating on a cfl is measured at 12".

The inverse square law states that doubling the distance from a light source will cause the output to be 1/4 of what it was. Therefor the opposite must hold true. That halving the distance to a light source would cause output to increase 4 times.

A 26w cfl has a rating of 1750 lumens at 12".
6" output is 7000 lumens
3" output is 28,000 lumes
1.5" is 112,000 lumens

A 42w cfl has a rating of 2700 lumens at 12"
6" output is 10,800 lumens
3" output is 43,200 lumens
1.5" output is 172,800 lumens

An important thing to keep in mind is that too much light is not a good thing. It causes the plant to slow/stop production/growth.

This is why you can grow buds right up to the lights with lower wattage cfls (23w/26w), while you need to keep the buds farther away when using a 42w cfl. The amount of light will overwhelm the plant at that close point to the light. I am not saying the whole plant will shutdown, I'm saying the growth closest to the light, that part that is overwhelmed with light, will be the part that slows/stops growth.

That's why I prefer using more lower wattage cfls as opposed to a single higher wattage cfl.

I average about .5gpw or less in my cfl cabs, but, IMO, GPW is a stupid measurement.

I mean if you got 2 gpw out of a 9sq foot area but yer yield was only 2oz is that really better than a .5 gpw that yields a pound in that same 9sq ft area? I know i'd rather have a pound and .5 gpw than 2oz and 2 gpw.

I prefer yield per square foot as the measurement by which i judge the output of my cabs.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the cfl scrog cab after it's second week of flowering.

Nevilles Haze x Mango (Plant 3)

Day 14 Flower

cflscrogcab_9thrun_day14f_02_nhxm3_closeup01.jpg cflscrogcab_9thrun_day14f_03_nhxm3_canopy.jpg

I changed the timer to 11/13 after day 10 of flowering.

Last edited:

JerryInDFW

Here's the cfl scrog cab after it's second week of flowering.

Nevilles Haze x Mango (Plant 3)

Day 14 Flower

View Image View attachment 202871 View attachment 202872 View Image View Image View Image

I changed the timer to 13/11 after day 10 of flowering.

Hi Blynx! :tiphat:

A friend on another site (Grasscity) referred me to your thread, since I'm beginning a micro grow in a 1 sq. ft cab with CFL's (Freedom 35 from seed). This is in a commercially produced box which I'm not real happy with, designed for 6 plants (Hydro). I said I'd give it a fair trial, but after seeing what you're doing with CFL's, I'm revising what I'm planning for an armoire mod I have planned. You're doing some amazing stuff!

My questions are:

How tall are your 1'x1' boxes?
What sort if CFM fans are you using?

And finally, since I don't really have timer to wade all the way back through your thread (Sorry), do you have a link to your soil and nutriment regimen?

Thanks so much!

JerryInDFW

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran

Hey Blynx, what happened with the old Gold Fish box ? :biggrin:

Nice to see a new round started. Watching your grows is something I never get bored off. :tiphat:

Did you kept the girl on 12/12 for the first 10 days just to induce flowering or for other reasons ? You want to give her 13 hours of light for bigger yield or to avoid endless stretching (being a Haze).

I was thinking to do a gradual flip on my 2 plants I currently veg under LEDs , like the mother nature does every fall, even this means a longer flowering time (two or three weeks more).

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Blynx, what happened with the old Gold Fish box ? :biggrin:

Nice to see a new round started. Watching your grows is something I never get bored off. :tiphat:

Did you kept the girl on 12/12 for the first 10 days just to induce flowering or for other reasons ? You want to give her 13 hours of light for bigger yield or to avoid endless stretching (being a Haze).

I was thinking to do a gradual flip on my 2 plants I currently veg under LEDs , like the mother nature does every fall, even this means a longer flowering time (two or three weeks more).

The plant I started with was so tall that I wanted to use a shallower/wider container than the goldfish box.

I kept the lights on 12/12 at the beginning mostly because that's what the timer was set at and the first week is mostly the plant getting established after transplanting.

I screwed up when I originally posted the timer hours. I meant to say that I switched it to 11 hours of light and 13 hours of dark.

12ver

Hay Blynx,
Would you mind showing us the fan and scrubber set-up for the scrog cab? I know you have showed it for your other two but I don't think you have share it for the scrog cab.Thanks so much for your well documented grows! You are helping us all learn what a small cab can do and how to make that work well.

glockdoc

I will give my opinion to your questions, but I'm not responding to start a debate, nor to encourage one in this thread.

Lumens do not add up (at least not to a statistically significant amount).

When it comes to cfls, imo, the more sources of light the better. I'd rather have 4 x 23w cfls vs a single 100w cfl.

Here's a couple things to think about concerning light/cfls.

The lumen rating on a cfl is measured at 12".

The inverse square law states that doubling the distance from a light source will cause the output to be 1/4 of what it was. Therefor the opposite must hold true. That halving the distance to a light source would cause output to increase 4 times.

A 26w cfl has a rating of 1750 lumens at 12".
6" output is 7000 lumens
3" output is 28,000 lumes
1.5" is 112,000 lumens

A 42w cfl has a rating of 2700 lumens at 12"
6" output is 10,800 lumens
3" output is 43,200 lumens
1.5" output is 172,800 lumens

An important thing to keep in mind is that too much light is not a good thing. It causes the plant to slow/stop production/growth.

This is why you can grow buds right up to the lights with lower wattage cfls (23w/26w), while you need to keep the buds farther away when using a 42w cfl. The amount of light will overwhelm the plant at that close point to the light. I am not saying the whole plant will shutdown, I'm saying the growth closest to the light, that part that is overwhelmed with light, will be the part that slows/stops growth.

That's why I prefer using more lower wattage cfls as opposed to a single higher wattage cfl.

I average about .5gpw or less in my cfl cabs, but, IMO, GPW is a stupid measurement.

I mean if you got 2 gpw out of a 9sq foot area but yer yield was only 2oz is that really better than a .5 gpw that yields a pound in that same 9sq ft area? I know i'd rather have a pound and .5 gpw than 2oz and 2 gpw.

I prefer yield per square foot as the measurement by which i judge the output of my cabs.
say no more! makes tons of sense. thanks for taking time to respond with your opinion and more importantly the time u take to log ur grows! are u still breeding strains?

B

Bag

cool thats what i thought with the 13 dark, seems to be the way to go, so the 95 days was 1212 right? so we might see that strain finishes faster with 13 dark hours, and saves power?