What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumats vs Drip DTW

Mrrite008

If your growing in coco...grab some octo-bubblers and fan jet sprayers...set up on a timed feed, much easier opposed to trying to dial in blumats!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Never had a problem dialing in blumats during the first day of setup- set and forget. You have to make sure you get every little air bubble out of the carrot and the supply and feed lines. Easy peasy first day dial in.

RamCTD1027

Maybe I didn't phrase my questions correctly

What I'm most interested in is the performance of both systems. I know both systems will work, but is one superior to the other? Im leaning towards drip DTW taking the cake here with multiple feeds per day allowing for massive air exchange in the root zone.

Opinions?

Obviously an old thread but here we go anyways...

For everyone running coco with blumats and chem ferts - I have a few questions..

- Do you keep your res filled with nutrients and add them back in at some interval or do you always try to maintain a certain ppm/ec level?

- Do you feed via hand watering or always through the blumats?

- Is drip clean necessary if feeding through the blumats?

gr866

Veteran

For everyone running coco with blumats and chem ferts - I have a few questions..

- Do you keep your res filled with nutrients and add them back in at some interval or do you always try to maintain a certain ppm/ec level?

1. I mix around 3 to 4 gallons at a time, my target number is 500 ppm so I allow between 450 and 550 ppm, and my target pH is 6 so, between 5.8 and 6.1.
I check the ppm and pH of my rez when I mix and adjust at that point if needed. EX, today my rez 's ppm was 528 and pH was 6.1.
So I mix 3 gallons and adjusted the nutes to around 460 ppm @ 5.78 which gave me a rez ppm of 498 w/ a 5.91 pH.
I go for that range consistently and my plants are loving it, no lush growth, nice green color. I have no tip burn to date, around day 40+ in veg.

2. So far only through the Blumats. Once you get it dialed in there should be no need to hand water and feed. That being said I do want to add by hand watering some mycorrhiza in the medium. Not sure if they would plug the Blumats but don't want to risk it.

3. Yes most definitely, not only to aid in keeping your lines clean but also because you don't do a true drain to waste it helps with the salts in my coco.

You can check out my grow in the vertical/coliseum grow. I am no expert and this is my first grow with them but I really like Blumats. I am getting comfortable with them now and they seem to be working gr8.

GR

wswise

I mix 4-8 gallons at a time, after draining the previous run and spraying out my tote. I'm sure I could try a add back, but the way I do it works for me and the 6 runs I have done with coco/blumats. Sometimes the H&G nutes I use will precipitate in the tank when I have even mixed a little old nutes with new nutes, and every time my plants looked a little off, they would perk right up after I washed out my tank. So now I wash out the tank every time, with just fresh water, and maybe a drop of bronners soap once a month with a brush.

I sometimes will dip a solo cup into my tank and drop a few on top of the coco. I've never had great luck with keeping the coco at the level of moisture that I like, so i try to tune the blumats on the slightly drier side. I mean the drippers are working, but the edges of the bags will get dry, and I like all my coco moist. I still can leave them for 4-5 days without too much worry. if I have a blowout then the bags are sitting in a couple of inches of water and will wick up into the coco. Not great for the plants, but better than the coco going dry. Otherwise it keeps dripping and your plants are as safe as can be alone. I went to mexico for a week a few months ago, and I got back to everything being cool.

Drip clean, use it every time. I have just bought my second bottle of it, it lasts my small time tents for years! I shoot for .5 per mil and maybe just a little more. Use it from the very start, use it every time, even in flush. so not skip this with a blumat DTW. I forgot to use it once and my plants started burning right away. I ran a gallon of super low nutes and 1ml per gallon PH'd water through the coco. Changed out the tank and away I went, everything was back to fine. but I could tell it wasn't used.