What's new

Blumat in Circles 5000w - 4 Circles

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Stacked or staggered?

Its funny you mention that.. The friend I first setup with this minimal layout does exactly that. He sort of just dropped bulbs down into his canopy as his budget allowed. Right now he runs 4k dropped into circles as I am doing but also has a few 600w MH lamps that he drops down into the middle. He handwaters so his layout is a bit "stretched" out and at an angle to give him the ability to get in there so the 600w lamps are nice to fill the voids.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Whelp..for those that are watching here goes a final pic update.

54 Days Flowering... 2 days ago I started checking them after finding a cola with some dead leaves jutted out of it. Botrytis!

This shit sneaks up on me every grow. I cannot do a complete harvest until early next week, but have started taking down major tops to hopefully lessen my losses. Unfortunately I think a lot of my major tops have rot.. or at least the start of it. Some totally brown/fuzz dead within.. others just some white/grey fuzz forming.

I would of liked to take these 65-70 days, but don't have that kind of time. I need to get this stuff down and dry or I could potentially lose my ass. The large colas (already removed - not pictured) I've manicured and cut out any rot.

How do I prevent bud rot? Humidity levels are 40% - temps however have climbed into the mid 80s.. possibly even 90s around the lamps during a few hot hot days :(. I currently have the lamps dimmed to 600w, but the majority of the grow got 1000w power.

Extraction is good (10" max).. I've got small fans blowing up the lamps, but lack other fans to circulate air around. Is this necessary in a vertical grow like this? Do you guys run oscillating fans in addition to the small fans on the floor blowing up?

I want to start starting preventative measure from now on.. every grow is great until the end and then I'm stressed and frustrated. Shit sucks.. but what are the answers? I've heard sprays work somewhat..but once the flower closes up nothing is treating those inner leaves/new swell-age. GreenCure? Eagle20? Sulfur burner? Deliver with atomizer?

I don't experience PM..just the inner rot. House is new construction.. not a moldy basement or anything.

Sorry for the shitty pics and watermark thingie...Laptop died on me so now I'm using my mac. Not too familiar with macs so just downloaded some freeware to remove EXIF data.

Barrels.. It tried the 9mL bloom only again late in the game.. and I am now topping with straight RO since I'll be cutting a bit early.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hope you guys enjoyed.. and here is to hoping I still manage 7ish lbs or so of good marketable trees.
I gotta do well so that I can buy a 36k mr slim split and a sante fe classic dehumidifier..

Mister_D

Veteran
There's a couple things you can do to help lessen or prevent bud rot. More air circulation for sure, lil fans under the bulbs aren't going to cut it with buds like that :biggrin:. Defoilation will help with stagnat air pockets and allow for more light to reach more buds increaseing your yield as well ;) Last thing that comes to mind is adding silica to your nute schedule. A santa fe won't hurt your chances any either.

D

DHF

Sorry ta hear bout the gray mold/botyritis/budrot Bro....and....It`d help with air exchange twice per minute and the upgrades on equipment next run.....but....

Is that 40% RH during lights OFF or lights on.....It`s been my experience folks rarely/never check their lights off RH cuz they only work their shit during lights on.....so...that said....

Pot absorbs/metabolizes as much RH and CO2 as it can during lights on even in late flower , and shit`s out what they don`t need/didn`t use during lights on and it`s just a recipe for disaster during lights off without proper air exchange and dehumidification till end of cycle 24/7.....and....

Mr D`s right in that gettin rid of uneccessary foliage/fans after end of stretch will drop humidity/transpiration , but the main thing I always did was have wall fans above as well as below the plants to create a vortex of air swirling above , below , and around but ever directly on the plants before being exhausted out the exhaust/scrubber combo`s twice per minute ftw.....

Hope yas work things out Bro....

Peace...DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I actually hadn't checked my humidity during the dark cycle in this new place. Its likely spiking at night, but I really wasn't in the mindset to "fix" this room either. I know the changes/precautions needing done but need to figure my final "layout" before making any financial/hasty decision. I hate buying /re-buying gear when I'm already up to my eyeballs in equipment.

I've only got a 70pt Lowes dehumidifier anyways..Its currently sitting near the room intake. That and a 10" Max fan exhaust is all I'm working with.(exchanging my air about 1 once per minute)..likely a bit less once you factor in ducting/bend.

What I really need to do is figure out how to set this new place up the best way for me. I've got 16x11 room and this current room, I think 12x12..as well as the space/utility area between them maybe 8x8 useable - unsealed. I was hoping to bloom in both rooms..vegging in the 8x8 utility/furnace area space, but maybe thats not the most feasible to keep it all rolling.

I've got 8 1000w lights and 9 600w lights at my disposal... along with one 14" MAX (1823CFM) and 10" MAX (1000ish CFM). 6" Vortex laying around. The house has 3 ton AC, but I'm thinking I'll need atleast a 3ton split to put a 8k room in motion. But.. I dont want a 3rd unit outside for the 12x12 room so I'm thinking instead I might be able to put a 5 ton into the utility area and circulate each room through it...so a large AC is in the budget as well as a good dehumidifier...just a matter of what.

I've really dropped off and being lazy now because I can't decide how I wanna rock it. Definitely blumats/coco and wanna stay vertical, but I've half considered doing horizontal again so I can trellis it and make it no hassle smooth rolling. Vertical is killer, but I'm always trying to squeeze around to keep things tied up/stable/accessible. In horizontal I can do 4 4x8 trays in my large room with an isle down the middle. Tied/Trellis/Strip and I wait until the chop.. done..simple/blindfolded..

I gotta stay under 100 plants personally so I'm not sure stacks are for me.

School me fellas.. with my spaces/equipment what would you suggest?
I'm a barebones kinda guy though.. I like to keep it minimal, but with the right equipment for the job.

I wish they made dual zone split units that were like 36k btu and 36k btu. I've never seen anything large. Maybe I can get a 36k split for a 8k bloom room and then somehow rig the house 3ton to cool the 12x12 room with say 4-5k in it. ??

Open to all suggestions.

D

DHF

As stated above.....It`s lights OFF relative humidity that`s yours and the plant`s WORST enemy in late flower till end of cycle........and....

That`s where the Santa Fe on a humidistat upgrade dialed in along with major air exchange twice per minute will save yas from the dreaded airborn pathogen nasties in your room....guaranteed.....so...

Flood and drain tables work , and there`s folks that do well with horizontal grows after doin it for yrs and yrs repetitively but....

Vertical setups take the twisted kid`s ta dial em and realize what`s available to be done once shit`s dialed and hoonin with increased plant numbers IME......anyways....

Good luck Bro....DHF.....:ying:......

St3ve

I was about to say the same thing DHF.. check the lights off RH.

For me, 'specially this time of year, my lights off RH can sneak up to over 90% with a lights on at 50%. I keep a dehuey on a timer set at 60% and its full everything 5 days or so.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I don't know the science behind it but lights off humidity spiking has been my no.1 cause of bud rot before getting on top of it with night time heating ;) Strain has a lot to do with it also I find... Silicone is definitely your friend, I read it helps with rot but it also does some other good shit.

There was a guy called ranger2k on overgrow who implemented a whirlwind set up in his room that I have followed ever since seeing it and not had many environmental issue unless I'd been plain lazy setting shit up.

He had exhaust slap bang in the middle of room and a fan on each wall that pointed at the next fan and so on so u create a kind of whirling of the air which goes through all plants from low on floor and is removed through the middle of the plants.

Works a treat mate, kinda like what DHF has described above

D

DHF

I don't know the science behind it but lights off humidity spiking has been my no.1 cause of bud rot before getting on top of it with night time heating ;) Strain has a lot to do with it also I find... Silicone is definitely your friend, I read it helps with rot but it also does some other good shit.

There was a guy called ranger2k on overgrow who implemented a whirlwind set up in his room that I have followed ever since seeing it and not had many environmental issue unless I'd been plain lazy setting shit up.

He had exhaust slap bang in the middle of room and a fan on each wall that pointed at the next fan and so on so u create a kind of whirling of the air which goes through all plants from low on floor and is removed through the middle of the plants.

Works a treat mate, kinda like what DHF has described above
Exactly the way my rooms ran Shhh creating a "vortex" of air swirling around as well as above and below the plants but NEVER on the plants as Heath taught me many yrs ago about not causing the plants to transpire anymore than needed for proper nutrient uptake and sweating "normally" for that circadian rythym of bein all they can be....

Wall fans on opposite corners above and below the plants on low with active intakes down low and exhaust/scrubber combo`s up top rocked my bitches world for lotta yrs.....

Good luck ....DHF.....:ying:.....

hey DHF .. do you think low lights on humidity is not optimal
i live in socal and my lights on humidity can be around 40 -45%
lights off i rock a santa fe on humidistat
always veting out and passive intake with vortex air above and below
plants are doing great and I rock 2+ horizontal with a couple vert hanging here and there
but always looking for ways to improve

Mister_D

Veteran
Exactly the way my rooms ran Shhh creating a "vortex" of air swirling around as well as above and below the plants but NEVER on the plants as Heath taught me many yrs ago about not causing the plants to transpire anymore than needed for proper nutrient uptake and sweating "normally" for that circadian rythym of bein all they can be....

Wall fans on opposite corners above and below the plants on low with active intakes down low and exhaust/scrubber combo`s up top rocked my bitches world for lotta yrs.....

Good luck ....DHF.....:ying:.....

Excellent advice and something I always forget to mention when I tell people MORE air circulation. Usually just say if you question weather or not you have enough air circulation, you don't. Will be more specific on how to setup in the future. Thanks for the reminder freds.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Well I lied - here are some more pics.

I've been slowly taking this all down and the rot isnt as bad I thought. I havnt really found anymore that were totally rotted.. but a few large tops have the slightest amount of fuzz forming. Almost as if some of the hairs have died on some of the tightest inner chunks.

1 Circle is down - 3 to go. Going to try to do one per night, but this 1st one took me 2 nights. I really need it down before any rot gets worse, but have gotten a Sante Fe Classic dehumidifer and have it running now... It is quite the unit.

Everything has been on water for some time now and everything has really yellowed out nicely.. even more reason to get em down quick. Fan leaves near the colas themselves are starting to yellow/drop/die.

picture.php

Here are some shots to get an idea of the size of these things. 1st one is laying on a mondi humidity dome. 2nd one with some pruning shears. 3rd is just a few branches laying on the trimming table.

Sorry for the quality of pics. ..just not good at taking clear shots with this little digital camera. Going to buy a good one after harvest..any recommendations?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

foof

i just ordered blumats waiting for their arival...yup yup.stoked about this vert grow im doin a 1k donut just took clones from cloner and put in beer cups coco [ogre]..kinda bumbed cuz i cant figure out how to post the pix i took. aarrrgh.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Hey FF i have had good luck watering in Bacillus Subtilus to prevent and stop bud rot in my outdoor plants. I was told by a genius hippie that it was systemic so I just got some Safer soap watered it in and it worked wonders. It was a bad season in my area that year many of my friends lost half there crop, alot of veggie farmers even got screwed tomatoes didnt ripen. I had just a few spots of budrot and I 100% give it to the B.subtilis in the safer soap.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Well its finally all down. Shit takes me forever even with the help of a rotor for the lower stuff. I cant do this long periods of time or it wrecks my sinuses. 4-5 hrs per night and it felt like forever. As much as it'd be nice to pound it out in a day or 2..its not too bad doing a little at a time to keep it from being agony.

Appreciate the info high life..
I'll give it a shot next go.

A garden 100% free of rot would be a dream come true. Might make chopping it down a little less stressful. Its rough enough on me trimming for a week.. finding rot just makes it miserable/

I've got this sante fe now and will try using the bacteria next round so hopefully I'll be rot free from here on out.

Hoping my final tally is 7+.

Yuno.Who

^yes this is what I need to do. I do get a bit of stress around my lamp as thing lean inward.

Sometimes I like to hang out in those little unlit wedges and just peer out into my crop circles..

If I had a ductless split I'd toss 4 600s in those spaces, but temperature doesnt allow right now. If I'm still running this style come winter I plan to do 4 circles with 1k HPS, the 1k in the middle a ushio MH, and put 4 600w ushio MHs in the mid-wall unlit diamond spaces.. should be insane.

speaking of insane check out this mom

grapefruit diesel mom.

View Image

You can see my little entrance into my larger foam board room 11x16. I'm not a midget, but just create these minimalistic entrances so that negative pressure holds my foam door on when it sits in front.
View Image

That mini entrance is awesome man. I thought about doing this for a bloom room, just throw the couch in front of it and no one has to know. Nice mom too btw, Thing is a tree.

D

DHF

Respect for gettin the Santa Fe dehuey.........but....Major air exchange twice per minute`s your friend FF.....

Keeps yas safe durin lights off in late bloomage as they swell and get rid of everything they didn`t use durin lights on ....EVERY day till end of cycle....so.....

There`s things to be learned....always....and..

Glad yas got em all down Bro....Safer soap`s been a given for many yrs to deter gray mold/budrot.....Good call HL45.......

Never had that problem once Heath taught me about major air exchange.....Hell.....

He don`t even run A/C`s OR Dehueys.......the bastard...LOL....

It`s the lil things Bro.....You`re gettin there....Holler if I can help....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....