What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Artic Blast, you will want to multiple reservoirs that are tailored for the stage the plant currently is in. A plant in veg or pre-flowering, wont need as much feeding as a plant full in flowering, so have separate reservoir's for different stages of development.

Also, should you grow some different strains along side each other, they will need different reservoirs. Its a bad idea to use one Res for long flowering sativas, as well as faster flowering strains. Ive been there and done that. There is no middle ground to be found that will work for all, so definitely set up multiple reservoirs for your ladies depending on their development.

has anyone else grew tired of using the blumats? I find mine always have to be adjusted about every 2 days as the rez gets low and it can be a pita.. They are rough on my knees, legs, and back having to bend down to adjust them and if you have a large plant it can be difficult to see or reach the dial on top.

I enjoyed these at first because I am not able to be at my op everyday but am now currently looking forward to making the change to handwatering

Dave Coulier

Veteran
has anyone else grew tired of using the blumats? I find mine always have to be adjusted about every 2 days as the rez gets low and it can be a pita.. They are rough on my knees, legs, and back having to bend down to adjust them and if you have a large plant it can be difficult to see or reach the dial on top.

I enjoyed these at first because I am not able to be at my op everyday but am now currently looking forward to making the change to handwatering

Believe me, you dont want to go to hand-watering. Blumats are much better, but you must not let the reservoir level drop too low otherwise, you get exactly what you described.

If you keep your res topped off constantly, they will perform much better and you wont be required to make constant corrections.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
man that really sucks, the kit comes with like 10 or 12 carrots/drippers.... i looked on ebay, 10 packs of blumat drippers are like $70 plus shipping... that's almost as much as the whole patio kit lol :joint:

ArcticBlast

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Dave nailed it in his above post. My reservoir is self-topping, so it only has a band of about 3" that it drops before being refilled. There are several different methods shown in here to do this - I run straight water, so my refill circuit runs right off of the tap. If you use nutrients, there is a pretty slick setup in here to fill from a bulk reservoir by pumping out of it to your main reservoir, and allowing the excess from the upper (main) one to drain back to the lower (bulk) reservoir.

Also, it sounds as though you might not have your reservoir high enough. The more head pressure the blumats have, the less sensitive they are to changes in the reservoir level.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
does anybody use blumats on 30-40+ containers? i thought i read somewhere that there was an attachment to feed multiple containers off of one dripper? are there any knockoff drippers that will work the same way with the system i already have? anybody want to buy a NIB patio and balcony set of blumats? lol :joint:

ArcticBlast

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
does anybody use blumats on 30-40+ containers? i thought i read somewhere that there was an attachment to feed multiple containers off of one dripper? are there any knockoff drippers that will work the same way with the system i already have? anybody want to buy a NIB patio and balcony set of blumats? lol :joint:

ArcticBlast

There are lot's of people in here doing high numbers with blumats. The attachment that I think you are talking about is a remote dripper, but they are meant to be used in the same pot as the blumat and just spread the water around more.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
anywhere besides ebay to get replacement drippers for the blumats? i need 20 more lol, i'm not spending $140 that's just crazy talk haha

ArcticBlast

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Grow4Flow

Rives,
I decided on the pressure reducer and running a hose from a close by spigot rather then using the solenoid. If i remember correctly, this is what Sunnydog is using as well as says he has no more runaway.

I will be running about 6-8 feet of feed line for 18 sites now. do you know if the water spigot is supposed to be cracked open about half way or maybe less than half way?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It shouldn't take a great deal of flow, even with 18 plants. I would think half way or less would be adequate, but hopefully SD will jump in and let you know what he has found. I think the pressure reducer is by far the best way to go, it just scares me with the length of time that my system has to go unattended. Rrog used a sensor/solenoid setup in order to turn his water off if he had a leak, and seemed very happy with it. I think that I may go that direction with the new system that I am putting together.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
G

greenmatter

if you are in denver, Way to Grow has pretty much everything blumat on the shelf in their stores. i think their pricing is a little steep, and i think other members have had issues with shipping costs and service but you can buy individual pieces from them.

good luck

Grow4Flow

It shouldn't take a great deal of flow, even with 18 plants. I would think half way or less would be adequate, but hopefully SD will jump in and let you know what he has found. I think the pressure reducer is by far the best way to go, it just scares me with the length of time that my system has to go unattended. Rrog used a sensor/solenoid setup in order to turn his water off if he had a leak, and seemed very happy with it. I think that I may go that direction with the new system that I am putting together.

is there a ink to his setup? wouldn't safety proofing this as well

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there a ink to his setup? wouldn't safety proofing this as well

I think most of the communication were via PM, but here are some links to where he mentioned it in passing. He hasn't been on in a while, or you could just ask him about them. I know that he was very happy with it.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4599089&postcount=1439

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4649897&postcount=1561

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4650092&postcount=1563

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
just picked up 40 more carrots and another starter kit, plus 12 meters of 3mm line. i now have a total of 60 blumats under 7K of flower, and 20+ carrots in veg. now i can pre-veg and veg with blumats!!! fucking awesome. growth is absolutely amazing if these are use from day one of veg.

anyway, love my blumats, never going back, thats for sure.

RBDf