What's new

Blumat auto watering

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
I recently set up 17 blumats in 5gallon smartpots of 100% coco. I followed the directions to the T. After reading Lazymans post i am wondering if i watered them enough initially. I gave them a very thorough soak, where the pots were heavy and a few drops from runoff. Maybe i needed to go with another few ounces, because some are drying out.
So I have been adjusting them.
The way i have done it is to open them until they are dripping very slowly, and leaving them there. They seem to then water to a point and turn off a few hours/minutes later. Some being a nice level of moisture in the pot, and others needing more still.
Not quite dialed in, but love that they in theory only use exactly the amount of water the plant needs.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
coco seems to need a higher flow than soil from what i've read here. in soil i def get runoff/flooding if i don't tighten past the initial cling.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I forgot to mention that the end of the 3mm tubing is about 8 cm from the valve for the blumat. I think this distance has something to do with how many arrows you dial them back, if at all.

How do you guys handle flushing with the blumats? Just straight water for a period of time? I can't deal with major waste/runoff in this setup, so I'm hoping that plain water is enough..... Anythoughts much appreciated.

Just setup two blumats in 2g smart pots with coco. Using Canna AB for now. This seems really neat so far. Can't wait to see what these things do.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
coco seems to need a higher flow than soil from what i've read here. in soil i def get runoff/flooding if i don't tighten past the initial cling.

Yeah that is my experience so far, a week in. I followed the initial directions; and then kept increasing the flow. They seem to mostly be dripping the entire time the lights are on (at least while i am in the room) and yet the coco looks only about 75% wet.

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
just picked up a deck&patio set. i have 12 plants. 5 are 5 weeks bloom, 3 are 3 weeks, 4 are 2 weeks. working w/ a 32 gal rez. when i hook these up tomorrow im thinking ill set my ppm @ 500. think thats to high? is that doable being the plants are at different stages? im gonna run h&g coco a/b. also have roots excel, drip clean, top booster, bud xl, shooting power. any suggestions?

C

Cheeb

clog warning - but not from the nutes.

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

I extended the blumat 3mm tubing longer then the 8cm (blumat recommends) as others suggested to allow for more even moisture distribution in your pot, but be warned that if you lengthen the 3mm tubing it has the ability for its end to lay directly on the coco surface.

I just experienced two plants which went limp due to a clog because I had a single strand of root grow up into the 3mm tubing..nearly 6 inches..passing through the pinch valve...which ultimately lead to the tube clogging completely. I had to remove the blumat and pinch the 3mm tubing while pulling back towards me to get the section of root backed out.

Pretty wild stuff.

If you extend your 3mm tubing across the pot try to have to propped up by a lower node or something to prevent it from laying directly on the medium surface.

Take Care

M

mugenbao

I just experienced two plants which went limp due to a clog because I had a single strand of root grow up into the 3mm tubing..nearly 6 inches..passing through the pinch valve...which ultimately lead to the tube clogging completely. I had to remove the blumat and pinch the 3mm tubing while pulling back towards me to get the section of root backed out.
Holy cow, that's freakin' funny, and seven kinds of awesome. Yeah, I suppose if you have roots growing up through your tubing, it'll stop flowing eventually, lol :)

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
An unasked question...promise!

An unasked question...promise!

So i want to tie in another 55 gallon line into my blumat system without just making one large 110 gallon res. I want them to both run seperately into the system. My system is already up and running and i am wondering if it will be ok to add this while the lines are filled with water. Basically cut the 8mm line and jam in a T connector, then connect new res. Does this seem like it may work? Any tips on keeping air out of the lines?
I want to do this for two reasons. One i am going on vacation for two weeks, and lastly because i think the redundancy of the design is pretty awesome. What ya'll think?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i have a dead rez, straight tap water in a clear sterilite w/ a lid. i refill when there's about 20% remaining. i have no problems so far (~1 month)

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Yeah, I just top off whenever it gets low. Every day and a half or so. I'm looking into the float valve idea though and will probably have it implemented in my next grow.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I just top off whenever it gets low. Every day and a half or so. I'm looking into the float valve idea though and will probably have it implemented in my next grow.

I used one of these in my rez. It has an air pressure operated level sensor driving a relay/solenoid valve which turns the water flow on/off, and it has a standard float valve on the end of the fill line for redundant protection.
On my installation, I put an overflow line above the float valve level so if everything fails, it runs down the drain. My grandfather was a "belt and suspenders" guy, so maybe that's where I got it!

http://www.marinedepot.com/SpectraP...ms-SpectraPure-SP5111-FIRORAFV-SP5111-vi.html

Last edited:

gdbud

I run nutes in my resavior. I have my resavior on top of my cabinet then I have a lower container that I mix my nutes in. I then have a drain line in my resavior for draining and cleaning. I then pump the nutes from the mixing continer up into my resavior. I run my nutes at about 800 to 1000 ppm.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I am looking into to getting these as I do not have enough time to water as I have plants. You say you fill your rez every day and half is it just small? I will be running a 4k watt grow in 5 gal containers. I have not been able to enjoy a vacation or normal life for awhile due to watering et cetera.

How big of a res would I need?

I am guessing a 55 gallon drum would last me a week with 9 plants per 1k. I water 2 mason jars per pot every 2-3 days now by hand in 3 gal containers. I thought about going wand, but that would barely save time and still require 2-3 days. I also thought about going DWC, but that requires shit load of new equipment and learning.

So, it looks like some sort of automated watering system will be needed and I hope these are my answer.

WasntMe

I am looking into to getting these as I do not have enough time to water as I have plants. You say you fill your rez every day and half is it just small? I will be running a 4k watt grow in 5 gal containers. I have not been able to enjoy a vacation or normal life for awhile due to watering et cetera.

How big of a res would I need?

I am guessing a 55 gallon drum would last me a week with 9 plants per 1k. I water 2 mason jars per pot every 2-3 days now by hand in 3 gal containers. I thought about going wand, but that would barely save time and still require 2-3 days. I also thought about going DWC, but that requires shit load of new equipment and learning.

So, it looks like some sort of automated watering system will be needed and I hope these are my answer.

welcome ... and enjoy your new found freedom. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts