What's new

Blumat auto watering

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Thanks Rrog! I decided I am going to use two drippers in the 5 gallon airpots, better coverage. Now do I want these to drip til runoff, or no runoff? Do I need to put an airstone in the rez? I plan on only putting two or three gallons in the rez at a time, not sure how long that will take with a few plants though? I am gonna set it up with two plants this first run, and the next run I will splice two more drippers in and run 4 plants. Thanks again guys, happy toKin!

komboloi

Whoosh, what a thread! Took me three days to get through it.

Looks like nearly all blumat users here are using either coco or soil/soilless for the medium. One post suggested that blumats should work in large rockwool cubes but maybe not so much in the "croutons".

My question: Is anyone here actually using or have experience with blumats in a rockwool medium, whether large cubes or loose rw?

tejashidrow

Thinking about these blumats.
It seems that every one is running BIG rez with LOTS of blumats.
I have a 4 plant set up, in 9 quart coco pots.
Will a one or 2 gallon rez work with these??
And can i run only 4??? Thanks pax

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could run a single blumat if that is what you wanted. I usually run either a 3- or 4-plant scrog, and they work wonderfully. Yes, a small reservoir would work as long as it was topped off before any air was admitted into the feed tubing. Bear in mind that the blumats are sensitive to pressure changes so you would be better off with a wide, shallow reservoir than a tall, narrow one if you are going to let the level drop much.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Thinking about these blumats.
It seems that every one is running BIG rez with LOTS of blumats.
I have a 4 plant set up, in 9 quart coco pots.
Will a one or 2 gallon rez work with these??
And can i run only 4??? Thanks pax

With 4 plants I would probably run a 5gal. res. If you are constantly topping off the res., why bother? (They will still water better than manual, but part of the beauty is being able to walk away for a while......):blowbubbles:

A

ak-51

Yeah I agree. If I had to top it off every day I would wonder why I'm not just hand-watering at that point.

Globule

Nothing wrong with a small Blumat grow

Nothing wrong with a small Blumat grow

Firstly I want to thank all the contributors to this thread as I am loving the Blumats and I know the knowledge contained here has saved me shitloads of headaches along the way and enabled to to pull off a much better grow than I was getting with DWC last year!

Way more forgiving and far less maintenance with better results in my case.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popu...&prod=albums&ins=link_thumb_2_orig&alb=41976#

I'm also running a small scale grow (5-plant scrog grow under 400w in 2-gallon/8-litre smartpots) using a 5-gallon/20-litre bucket as a res and I'm finding it both manageable and enjoyable.

I am currently replacing the nutrients completely in the bucket every 3 days which takes maybe 20mins max each time so not such a big hassle.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popu...&prod=albums&ins=link_thumb_2_orig&alb=41976#

The nute level dropping in the bucket over those 3-days has not proven to be an issue for me with regards to pressure in the feed line.
I make sure the bucket is up as high as possible, am using drip-clean in the res and making sure that I purge some of the solution from the feed lines on a regular basis and give the 3mm drip line a bit of a roll between my fingers from time to time to loosen up any crap that might be in the lines.

So far so good :yes:

I'm planning to introduce a larger external res into the equation which auto tops-off the primary 5-gallon res continuously (with overflow running back to the larger res) but haven't done so yet simply because replacing the nutes in the 5-gallon bucket every 3 or 4 days is not much of an hard ask in my books.

Day 12 of 12/12 (Chocolope Kush and Holy Grail Kush) under the watchful eye of the drippy Blumats:

KITCHA

Veteran
Amazing thread Sunny, Blumat are available in Australia now. I spoke to the distributed this morning and they were really knowledgable on Blumat and what nute will and won't run through them. I run Canna coco, rhizo and cannazyme usually canna coco with roots excel was recommended for the Blumat so not too many adjustments needed.
Cheers kit-

tejashidrow

Thanks to all.
I NEVER thought about refilling every day...
I think i will try a 3 gallon rez just to see. I can allways go up.
THANKS AGIAN!!
Globule.. Your set up sounds close to mine.
I am doing a 4 plant scrog also THANKS!!

hey sunnydog thanks for the awesome thread. i have been wanting a good watering system. and im glad i came across your thread i just ordered me some blumat tropfs cant wait to get them in so i dont have to lean over and water every damn day. i am gonna run maxi grow for veg with drip clean and fox farms soluables through flower. is it ok to run some botanicare silica blast and molassase though the system.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
YMMV

YMMV

hey sunnydog thanks for the awesome thread. i have been wanting a good watering system. and im glad i came across your thread i just ordered me some blumat tropfs cant wait to get them in so i dont have to lean over and water every damn day. i am gonna run maxi grow for veg with drip clean and fox farms soluables through flower. is it ok to run some botanicare silica blast and molassase though the system.

Personally, I would NOT run anything which could clog or cause bacteria to grow in the lines, etc. I run plain water. YMMV

Sunny, I have a question. I am running organic nutrients which means thick poopy water mixes every other day. How well would it work to run Blumats, and then give small quantity of poopy mixes hand watered on top, with much higher poop:water ratios? Eg, if I give them 4gal of nutrient every 4 days (2 watering cycles), maybe I would give them each a pint of nutrient (3/4 gal total) with the nutrients that 4gal should contain... Its just an idea, but I'd love to get rolling with blumats before my amended soil run starts.

Latest posts

Latest posts