What's new

Blumat auto watering

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Myself, and,evidently, thousands of people worldwide will testify to the efficacy of the "proper" blu-mat unit
Even commercially - successfully even!!

Go figure, eh?

Great thread, Sunnydog

CC
Satisfied Blumat User

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Well, I have used them. I tried them for a lower tier in my bonsai mom cabinet, and while they worked "ok" for plants in one quart containers, there were many drawbacks to them that the standard blumats don't have. For me, the elevation of the reservoir feeding them was critical - too low and the plants, even though very small, didn't get enough water. Too high and the plants were over-watered. I would think that they would also function as a filter for anything added to the water since the water has to flow through the porous ceramic, whereas salt-based nutrients work very well in the other model. So, in fact, they are hugely different than standard blumats.

:scripture: Agreed.:thank you:

T

trem0lo

Well, I have used them. I tried them for a lower tier in my bonsai mom cabinet, and while they worked "ok" for plants in one quart containers, there were many drawbacks to them that the standard blumats don't have. For me, the elevation of the reservoir feeding them was critical - too low and the plants, even though very small, didn't get enough water. Too high and the plants were over-watered. I would think that they would also function as a filter for anything added to the water since the water has to flow through the porous ceramic, whereas salt-based nutrients work very well in the other model. So, in fact, they are hugely different than standard blumats.

I use 4 of them, 2 each in 2 gallon smartpots. One blumat junior per gallon or two of soil seems to work well. The reservoir should ideally be at plant level. If it's higher, use more; lower, use less. You kind of need to dial it in and figure out what the plants like best. So far I really like them and so do my plants.

Not growing on a huge scale, the real things are actually more of a hassle (and more $$$) for me than the juniors, which are only a couple dollars apiece, and more suited to smaller grows. The ones I get are called perky posy and dirt cheap. I use organics, and you can still water the garden with nutes every couple days by hand, it won't hurt them. Just don't completely soak the medium.

M

moodster

i sorted the buildup in my res out i just got a sumersible pump instead of the airstones i get no build up at all now thanks everyone

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
sunnydog

Apologies for not reading back far enough (LOL) but I wanted to ask if you yourself have any experience with the Maxi devices?

Thanks!

CC

rrog

Veteran
I use the maxi carrots also. Used them in 5 gallon hardside pails and 7 gallon fabric pots. I use 1 carrot and three distributors per pot. And 1 tensiometer just to watch the fun.

BTW, this run I started at a target pKa range of 5-10 and found that a bit too wet, based on the leaf reaction. I backed that off to a 10-15 range and they liked that better.

YMMV

rrog

Veteran
kPa is kiloPascal 1 kPa = 10 millibars. You'd be in that low range with the aeration amendments we use. Trees in fields might be 50 kPa. I'm shooting for 10 kPa

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
sunnydog

Apologies for not reading back far enough (LOL) but I wanted to ask if you yourself have any experience with the Maxi devices?

Thanks!

CC

Sorry CC, I have not used maxis. I don't think they are necessary, or better, for what we do. They sample from deep down in the pot, possibly at the expense of the bulk of the soil. I have used regular up to 7 gal, no problem. Sometimes, in large pots, I'll use two. I have been using slave drippers on larger pots, these have been working out very nicely. I think some people here are using them, but I don't recall anyone shouting from the rooftops, "Hey, these are great/must have!"

A

ak-51

Still working well..., guess I am just lucky.
If they're working for you that's great. I'm not going to hate on that.

I just wanted to note earlier that the way they operate is fundamentally different than the way the normal blumats we use in this thread operate.

I would definitely not put anything other than plain water through them.

Hey guys - Quick question. I am running 5gal pots right now, but want to step up to larger. Not sure exactly, 10 or 20gal has been discussed, I have a month or more to figure that out. I want to switch to Blumat's for my next run, using an organic soil mix. If we figure a 10gal pot, will I want 2 or 3 blumats, or 1-3 Maxi's? Explain what you best think will work for a 10gal pot. Would this translate to a 20gal pot (Same ratio:gallons)?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Sorry CC, I have not used maxis. I don't think they are necessary, or better, for what we do. They sample from deep down in the pot, possibly at the expense of the bulk of the soil. I have used regular up to 7 gal, no problem. Sometimes, in large pots, I'll use two. I have been using slave drippers on larger pots, these have been working out very nicely. I think some people here are using them, but I don't recall anyone shouting from the rooftops, "Hey, these are great/must have!"
Sunny and others...

Thanks! I'm running 3 ea.Tropfs in #7 and #10 SmartPots with no complaints - just curious what others might have come up with. I'll just motor-on down the road with the current set-up.

CC

never used the Maxis, but 3 reg blumats will do a 20 gallon smart pot with no problems, from experience.

rbdf
Solid, thanks rbdf! I have decided on 20's for my next, and I want to use Blumats. I have good friends who can take care of em for me when I am out of town / busy, but I'd love them to take care of themselves!

I am thinking a 55gal plastic drum for storage, with a ~5gal pail on top of it, or maybe on a shelf just above the drum. The 5gal will have a overflow fitting at the top, which will return into the drum below it. Pressure will come from a line at the bottom of the pail to feed the blumats. 4 of the Blumats will be 15ft of hose away, 4 will be 5-7ft away, and the moms/clones (figure 6-10) will be about 8ft away. The drum will have a pump and either an on/off in the pail, or, it will run constantly, and overflow constantly. And then an airstone in both, I suppose?

Do you think 5gal is enough volume to keep pressure where it should be for, figure, 18 Blumat's? The pail will be at least 3ft off the ground, more likely on a shelf and thus around 4ft. Plants will be on the ground, except moms/clones which will be on shelves below the pail height. Maybe the pail should be higher?

I appreciate your input!
Sunny and others...

Thanks! I'm running 3 ea.Tropfs in #7 and #10 SmartPots with no complaints - just curious what others might have come up with. I'll just motor-on down the road with the current set-up.

CC
Thanks for the info CC. I am hoping 3 per 20gal works well for me, I'll report in next year to let everyone know. A little OT - Would you vote SmartPots or AirPots? I've seen your posts before about both of them, but never saw your opinion on one vs the other directly.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
RomulusUSA

Unrelated to growing cannabis, I have used both containers for growing saplings commercially and in that context both have their pros and cons with the Air Pots' pricing & more importantly availability being a deal killer.

But that's not what you will be using them for - you're growing softwood plants. The size that you want to use (#20) with the Trop Blumat system it's a coin-toss. If you were going to use #10 and especially #7 or smaller then I could 'maybe' make a coherent argument that SmartPots would serve you better. With (basically) a 3 c.f. container you'll have with #20 containers there are other products and concepts you could consider using.

In the horticulture trade the usual description for this class of containers is 'auto-pruning containers' and/or 'air-pruning containers' and you might find it interesting to see the different configurations the industry has available.

This also - 'agriculture ain't horticulture and vice versa' and in many ways you could add 'growing softwoods ain't like growing hardwoods and vice versa'

Again with the container size you will be using - coin-toss

HTH

CC

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
as long as u have a way to keep the 5 gallon pail topped off, you will be fine. An auto top-off like the ones in this thread to keep the 5 gallon full with a lower trash can style rez is the key.

Pretty simple, 400gph pump inside the lower rez, pumping 24 hr a day(or intermitently, your choice) to the upper rez. hydro-table style overfow with extra spacers to keep the water level at 4.5 gallons. Overflow is plumbed to PvC or flex pipe which returns overflow to lower rez.

might cost 50$ total, and if you set them up correctly, you will never hand water again.

rbdf

as long as u have a way to keep the 5 gallon pail topped off, you will be fine. An auto top-off like the ones in this thread to keep the 5 gallon full with a lower trash can style rez is the key.

Pretty simple, 400gph pump inside the lower rez, pumping 24 hr a day(or intermitently, your choice) to the upper rez. hydro-table style overfow with extra spacers to keep the water level at 4.5 gallons. Overflow is plumbed to PvC or flex pipe which returns overflow to lower rez.

might cost 50$ total, and if you set them up correctly, you will never hand water again.

rbdf
Exactly what I wanted to hear. And then grab some pex to run water from my sink over to my room and have a manual valve to top off the drum.. It is going to be awesome to say the least. I don't mind watering, but I'd love to not have to.

JAY LENWEED

They run straight from a reservoir correct how do they time when to water. I mix my nutes in 6g cen and would need to center it and the add another to other side of garden. That said whats maximum distance reservoir can be from can and how does it determine when to water? thanks

They don't work on time, they have a stone on the bottom that senses moisture. it's a vacuum that makes it work. I have my resivor around 20 feet away but it's 9 feet high. the higher the resivor the better.
Hope this helps !!

Latest posts

Latest posts