What's new

Blumat auto watering

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Have you been strict with the dripper hose being only 8 cm past the blumat? Yes. They are most responsive at 8cm.

I'd like to just use 1 blumat per 7 gallon smart pot if possible.Try three or four slave drippers.

I have 50 blumats up and running I watered a few times before inserting the blumats into the coco mix, Im wondering how many arrows past a clinging drop should I set the sensor too?I usually set slightly less than two arrows.

:blowbubbles:

lowbrow

Again I thank you kindly for the advice, sunnydog.

In using the distribution slave drippers, do you find it necessary to maintain the 20 cm length of drip line PAST the first 8 cm one? Or is that value negotiable, as long as I'm not placing the other drippers too close to the sensor?

Does that make sense? I'm picturing (if necessary) 8+20+20 cm of drip line circling my pot to get 3 drip locations. That seems like a lot of line. I'm hesitant to use these but I think I remember the main hassles with the slave drippers occurred with an elevated rez setup, which would be subject to pressure fluctuations and more user error.

If you say they are also running trouble-free with the pressure reducer, I will consider ordering them, assuming I can't maintain adequate coverage with only 1 blumat per 7 gallon pot.

It seems like I should be okay covering 5.5-6.0 gallons of coco-base in a 14 inch round (35 cm), 12-inch high pot, but maybe that's asking too much of the sensor and the wicking ability of my soil. I suppose I'll find out in a few days or a week, but in the meantime any further tips are most welcome! :ying:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I have 50 blumats up and running I watered a few times before inserting the blumats into the coco mix, Im wondering how many arrows past a clinging drop should I set the sensor too?

I use straight Atami coco (no amendments) and I hand drench heavily until run-off.. then I dial to a cling + 1 arrow. Your results may vary depending on the "mix". I've had great results doing cling + 1 arrow, but that is in straight coco.

Too much perlite, etc in the mix can lead to problems in my opinion. There almost needs to be a snug connection between the carrot and medium. A blumat carrot surrounded by loose media might lead to run-away issues.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Again I thank you kindly for the advice, sunnydog.

In using the distribution slave drippers, do you find it necessary to maintain the 20 cm length of drip line PAST the first 8 cm one? Or is that value negotiable, as long as I'm not placing the other drippers too close to the sensor?

Does that make sense? I'm picturing (if necessary) 8+20+20 cm of drip line circling my pot to get 3 drip locations. That seems like a lot of line. I'm hesitant to use these but I think I remember the main hassles with the slave drippers occurred with an elevated rez setup, which would be subject to pressure fluctuations and more user error.

If you say they are also running trouble-free with the pressure reducer, I will consider ordering them, assuming I can't maintain adequate coverage with only 1 blumat per 7 gallon pot.

It seems like I should be okay covering 5.5-6.0 gallons of coco-base in a 14 inch round (35 cm), 12-inch high pot, but maybe that's asking too much of the sensor and the wicking ability of my soil. I suppose I'll find out in a few days or a week, but in the meantime any further tips are most welcome! :ying:

I just kinda space them out, after the first 8cm one.

Just got my blumats yesterday! FYI, you can use 1/8" connectors made by Agrifim with the 3mm line. It stretches enough to fit over them, and they're available at my local growstore. Way cheaper than the Kent ones. I don't think they make Ts though. I already have 1/8 inch lines setup, so I can just use the 1/8" connectors and plug my blumats right into them. I don't even need those rolls of 3mm line I bought!

A

ak-51

Are you talking about using something in place of the small brown drip line? I would be careful about that. If they're not as flexible as the stock line then they might not compress correctly.

In other news I found out what was wrong with my setup in one of my tents. Nearly half of the units were bone dry. No wonder I couldn't get them calibrated right!

I think the thing was that I was lifting them out of the coco to check for air bubbles. I never saw any. Of course if there's no water at all in the blumat then you wouldn't see any bubbles. Somehow I was completely oblivious to the fact that the cone was dry.

I have completely removed the blumats from the system and I'm re-soaking them now. I've soaked the coco twice over in the time they've been out, and I'll soak it again before I put them back in.

Lesson learned: no more half-measures.

Are you talking about using something in place of the small brown drip line? I would be careful about that. If they're not as flexible as the stock line then they might not compress correctly.

No, I'm not replacing the small brown 3mm line that comes with the Blumat. I stick a 1/8" connector into that short piece, then I run 1/8" irrigation line from there to my supply line. That way I can use 1/8" line and 1/8" connectors that I can get locally. I don't have to order from Kent (if I did, I'd still be waiting for parts, instead I'm up and running), and I don't need to order rolls of 3mm line. Plus it's a lot cheaper. I just finished putting it together in my veg room. And my whole flower room is already plumbed with supply line and 1/8" lines for my drip system, so converting it to a Blumat system will be a piece of cake.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
^nice. I have not yet seen one set up like this. Got any pictures?

The extra 3mm tubing is expensive. Do you not have any problems with the rigidness 1/8 nylon line pulling & causing the short pieces of 3mm tubing to kink?

I'd love to see it in action if you've got any pics.

Hi FF. I haven't had any problems with kinking because the 1/8" line isn't as prone to kinking, and the 3mm line is so short, it stays nice and straight. BTW the 1/8" connectors are made by Agrifim.

I am having a problem with my pump though. I have a Shurflo pump with a built in pressure switch pushing water from my res. up to a 5 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling. The bucket has a float valve in it. But for some reason the pump doesn't shut off all the way even though the float valve is closed. I came back after an hour to check everything, and the pump was very hot from running constantly. Am I missing something?

vwgtiron

2" supply line? if that is not a typo, could you describe your system?

i was having problems with the water pump warming the rez, but that was only when i ran it all the time. with some good advice from our local electrician i put float sensors in the top bucket so the pump only runs when it has to.

i bubble both the top and bottom rez just to keep things moving, but it has never raised my rez temps higher than room temps

Here is a picture of the supply lines. They punch through the hole and then each tube is punched with a outlet for the plant. This gives me good gravity going into the bluemat. I just added 8 phillips 1000w DE bulbs to this setup.
I am using a large mag airpump with the 12 gang controller. You can feel the heat in the air lines. and I have even extended them quit a bit to bring this down. It ends up bringing my tanks to 73 degrees within about 5 days. I would like to slow this down 2 more days.

Last edited:
G

greenmatter

^^^^^^

damn boss! you don't fuck around when you do something do you?

my top rez is a 3 gallon bucket so i'm gonna quietly step away from the podium and listen to the guys who are playing on your scale

Got the parts for the plumbing, reduced the pump pressure to 40 psi.

Attachments

• Blumat Pump 3.JPG
    Blumat Pump 3.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Pressure Switch.JPG
    Pressure Switch.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 16
I am having a problem with my pump though. I have a Shurflo pump with a built in pressure switch pushing water from my res. up to a 5 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling. The bucket has a float valve in it. But for some reason the pump doesn't shut off all the way even though the float valve is closed. I came back after an hour to check everything, and the pump was very hot from running constantly. Am I missing something?

your pump should have a setscrew on the pressure switch, backing it out will reduce the pressure necessary to shut off the pump.

Last edited:
The first system is solid with 5 maxi's, The second is taking some effort to get 48 blumats dialed in but they are getting there. No runaways so far

On the first system the pump is running a lot because the plants are using more, this small accumulator might be too small.

Last edited:

NinjaKaren

Has anyone tried having the Kent barbs come out of the bottom of suspended 1/2" tubing? I imagine this would eliminate at least some of the air bubbles...

I think at some point I am going to attempt a weed killer (pressurized nutes) setup, but I figure I will start with gravity and see how it goes.

MrAwder

So I built an elevated res setup. Pretty basic, 5 gal raised bucket and 27 gal main res. 1/2" feed to the top and 3/4" overflow/return. However, every 10 minutes or so there is this suction type sound like a toilet flushing almost. I think it has something to do with how much pressure builds up from the before the overflow will operate at 100%. Then once the level drops the cycle repeats. It also seems like it may be because there is air getting trapped in the 3/4" line and once the pressure is great enough it forces the air up out of the line and sucks a bunch of water down. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any idea on how to fix it? I was thinking about adding a T fitting where the overflow connects to the bucket and running a tube up to the top of the bucket above the waterline to evacuate air. Not sure if this would do anything though.

Help?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You need to get your supply line to your blumats lower on the bucket

picture.php

Here is mine notice the supply line at the bottom.

picture.php

Also notice the tee on the top, this is my gravity return to my main res. At the top is my supply line from my main res connected to my pump. It is the black flexible line going into the top of the tee. If this supply line from the pump is all the way to the bottom of the bucket it will siphon my nutrient solution back down so it only goes into the bucket a short distance from the tee.

You may be siphoning your nutrients back. If you post better pictures some one may be able to help if it is not what I have pointed out.

MrAwder

I tried to annotate that pic to clarify. The feed line cannot be seen but I tried to show its approx. height. The feed line is 1/2", the line from the pump is 1/2" and the overflow is 3/4". The overflow line does not go below the nute level of the lower res. It has about a 4" drop.

So the pump line is at the very top, the overflow about 3-4" below that and the feed line is about 6" below that.

I think I understand what you are saying about your supply line going into the bucket and siphoning, but in my case I am not using a tube and the water just runs into the bucket directly from the fitting.

I'm off to the hardware store to grab a new bucket (in case i screwed mine up) and some PVC fittings. Hopefully I can get this worked out tonight.

A

ak-51

I may have asked this before, but what nutrients are everybody using?

I have been using Botanicare Pure Blend Pro, but I'm switching to CNS17 for a while to see how the plants and blumats like that. The consistency of the CNS17 makes me feel like it won't fall out of solution as quick as some of the other Botanicare stuff I was using seemed to (looking at you Liquid Karma). That might just be a gut feeling that is in no way based on science.

I think I'm going to just try running the CNS17 line straight with no additives. I might still have to use Cal-Mag+. Want to cut the Karma out completely, too thick. I'm not sure how I feel about Sweet, need more testing. Hydroplex is probably getting dumped. Cannazyme will probably be dumped too except for some when I'm recycling coco to help break down any residual dead plant matter from the previous use. We'll see how that goes. I strongly dislike using 5 or 6 different things every time I have to refill the res(s), both because it's a hassle and because I feel like everything I need could and should be contained in fewer products.

Latest posts

Latest posts