Blumat auto watering

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Hey all I'm planning to outfit a 600w 4x4 tent with 6

A) 2gal smartpots 100% coco
B) 3gal smartpots 100% coco
c) 3gal smartpots 80% coco / 20%perlite

fed by blumats, which do you recommend? Also, is there any advantage to using spigots like
http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-1300-fast-flow-bottling-spigot-vintage-shop.aspx
instead of bulkheads?

This is what I'm looking at for a parts list...
6 pack reg blumats for houseplants
5gal bucket with (2) 1/2" bottling spigots, elevated 3'
~20ft loop of 1/2" poly tubing.
6 (order 12 just in case) Kent 3/32" straight unions OR 3 tee unions, punched into the black tubing.
Connect blumats to kent unions, put hose clamps on spigots, and that's it? Do you use any silicone on the unions or do they seal well enough? Is there any downside to using 3 tee unions versus 6 straights, or vise versa? Seems like less penetrations = less points to leak?

EDIT: After further review, I've decided to go with a 5gal sterlite tote instead of a 5gal bucket, since the spigot/bulkhead gasket will fit it's flat sides better, it's less tip prone, and being wider than it is tall, the head pressure should vary less as the res level drops. I may even go 10gal tote, though IDK how fast the coco will drink it? Also, I just realized it's the tropf blumats and not the blumats for houseplants that I want, correct? is it overkill for me to use 1/2" poly on only 6 plants? Should I just use the supply line and tees and tank fitting that comes with the terrace 1 kit? It's pretty expensive though, is that why everyone DIY's their supply lines? Just for costs sake? Where is the best place to buy these things anyway, 28,20 € shipping is crazy.

Hello. Correct, you DO NOT WANT the house plant version. You want the standard "outdoor" blumat. Also, I use all standard B/M stuff, as I am old (lol) and tired of mixing and matching and sourcing. The standard feed lie will service 500 B/M units, so you'll be OK! Also, get a extra spool of the 3mm drip hose, and if using plain water, the pressure reducer.
I think people use other stuff 'cause the T drip fittings can be a PITA some times. I would say to just use what comes in the box and keep life easy.
If you are using a res, bigger+higher up is always better.Second floor,even.
So in summation, I would say,for you, get;
1-patio kit
1-spool of 3mm drip line- this is pretty important, as the length that comes with the B/M is almost useless ( I keep them, tie a knot on the end and use them to plug unused outlets)
At least 1 shut off valve
A pack or two or three of T's,angles,unions,etc.
If using only water, I highly recommend the pressure reducer as it has dropped my fuck up rate to,essentially zero. I check my plants once a week now!:yoinks:
If you are using nutes, take a look at what Weed killer is doing with tanks and pumps.
Maybe a pack of slave-drippers, as they are working very nicely for me.
B/Ms are really SUPER EASY to use ,so have no concerns.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
I highly recommend the pressure reducer as it has dropped my fuck up rate to,essentially zero. I check my plants once a week now!:yoinks:

I started my BM experience with the pressure reducer from well water and I have been over-flow free.

FarmerGreen

Is it possible to use any old 3mm feed line? I'm pretty keen on switching to blumat, but it means a complete overhaul of my system and I still have heaps of tubing left over. And being that I'm having to ship everything I want to keep it to a minimum

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
no. you HAVE to use their 3mm line. no way around it. it is made of a specific material that works with the pressure inside the blumat, the moisture level of the ceramic cone, and the pressure from the elevated REZ/pressure reducer. if u use blumats u can use any old feed tube instead of their 8mm they provide, if u get the 3/32 barbs from Kent Systems.

they are the beezkneez.i even havethem in veg now too! only plants i hand water are my coco clones.

RBDF

NinjaKaren

Thought I would share my blumat pump setup, I don’t have room for a raised reservoir so I put this together, a shurflo demand pump feeding an accumulator and a watts regulator set to 10 psi to feed the blumats, the pump is a 12 volt so I got a power supply off Amazon. Total cost was about 150 US with shipping.

Right now it is feeding 5 Maxi’s, I may switch to 10 regulars, will see.

Can you indicate what kind of regulator/pressure reducer you're using? Assuming you spent ~40 on the accumulator and ~60 on the pump, I am unable to find a regulator that is even close to $50, much less one with a gauge!

Appreciate your help!

Though, I guess I could just modify the B/M version...

KT420

Hello. Correct, you DO NOT WANT the house plant version. You want the standard "outdoor" blumat. Also, I use all standard B/M stuff, as I am old (lol) and tired of mixing and matching and sourcing. The standard feed lie will service 500 B/M units, so you'll be OK! Also, get a extra spool of the 3mm drip hose, and if using plain water, the pressure reducer.
I think people use other stuff 'cause the T drip fittings can be a PITA some times. I would say to just use what comes in the box and keep life easy.
If you are using a res, bigger+higher up is always better.Second floor,even.
So in summation, I would say,for you, get;
1-patio kit
1-spool of 3mm drip line- this is pretty important, as the length that comes with the B/M is almost useless ( I keep them, tie a knot on the end and use them to plug unused outlets)
At least 1 shut off valve
A pack or two or three of T's,angles,unions,etc.
If using only water, I highly recommend the pressure reducer as it has dropped my fuck up rate to,essentially zero. I check my plants once a week now!:yoinks:
If you are using nutes, take a look at what Weed killer is doing with tanks and pumps.
Maybe a pack of slave-drippers, as they are working very nicely for me.
B/Ms are really SUPER EASY to use ,so have no concerns.

Thanks. I think I'm just going to go with the 12pc patio and deck kit. It only comes with 1 tank connector though... what's the benefit of doing a loop and having both ends connected to the res versus a straight line? is it that important?
Why aren't there more US retailers for these?

I am going to be using a res and nutes, but I don't think I want to go with a 2 res setup, 1 high 1 low, with a pump. I think that's just to complex for only 1 tent and 6 plants. In fact I'm wondering if blumats all together aren't too much for 6 plants and I should just handwater... It would be nice to be able to leave them for 2-3 day weekends though...

Can you indicate what kind of regulator/pressure reducer you're using? Assuming you spent ~40 on the accumulator and ~60 on the pump, I am unable to find a regulator that is even close to $50, much less one with a gauge!

Appreciate your help!

Though, I guess I could just modify the B/M version...

Sure
http://www.google.com/#q=watts+p60&...pw.r_qf.&fp=f728cd3d5cd7df92&biw=1280&bih=939

http://www.google.com/#q=shurflo+sl...pw.r_qf.&fp=f728cd3d5cd7df92&biw=1280&bih=939

http://www.google.com/#q=shurflo+ac...pw.r_qf.&fp=f728cd3d5cd7df92&biw=1280&bih=939

On the first one i used the 0-30 regulator, the pump is 45psi, on the second the pump is 60psi and i used the 0-60 model.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks. I think I'm just going to go with the 12pc patio and deck kit. It only comes with 1 tank connector though... what's the benefit of doing a loop and having both ends connected to the res versus a straight line? is it that important?
Why aren't there more US retailers for these?

I am going to be using a res and nutes, but I don't think I want to go with a 2 res setup, 1 high 1 low, with a pump. I think that's just to complex for only 1 tent and 6 plants. In fact I'm wondering if blumats all together aren't too much for 6 plants and I should just handwater... It would be nice to be able to leave them for 2-3 day weekends though...

For a small system, there probably isn't too much benefit with the looped system. I run two systems, one looped and one not. The 2 reservoir system is worth the effort - these things like pressure (up to about 15psi, anyhow). If you are growing in coco, I don't think that you will be able to get anywhere near the results of blumats by hand watering. Try them out - if you set it up right, you'll be chucking rocks at any other methods.

vwgtiron

IMHO 1/2" supply lines solve all the bubble problems, but i had issues with my pump warming the rez up when i was running it 24/7........ and it was not summer yet

i'm using the pump for a totally different reason than you are , but i think you might have the same problem

anything is worth a shot! good luck!

I use 2" PVC for my supply lines. I do not have any air bubble problems. I have heard the bluemats his letting out the air or spitting. But they do not "vapor lock". I also have trouble with my air pump heating my rez. What was your solution?

lowbrow

If using only water, I highly recommend the pressure reducer as it has dropped my fuck up rate to,essentially zero. I check my plants once a week now!

This is great news. How long have you been running the pressure reducer trouble-free? Would you recommend a new user go straight for the pressure reducer, assuming a just-add-water coco-based organic super soil?

I have municipal water that has a slight chlorine smell and ph is about 7.4. It's a small town with maybe 1000 people, no hospital, and no public sewer. We all have our own septic, so it's not terrible nasty recycled city water.

I know that chlorine evaporates when it touches air. It may be impossible to know without just trying it, but do you think it would "air-out" enough to be safe, just falling from the drip line to the soil? My thinking is that it's only one drop at a time, and chances are it's touching the air for 10 seconds (or whatever) before it falls..

Thank you everyone for this whole thread! I read the whole thing again and recently got my patio kit in the mail. I need more parts and I'm wondering if the pressure reducer should be on the list :dance013:

Last edited:

KT420

For a small system, there probably isn't too much benefit with the looped system. I run two systems, one looped and one not. The 2 reservoir system is worth the effort - these things like pressure (up to about 15psi, anyhow). If you are growing in coco, I don't think that you will be able to get anywhere near the results of blumats by hand watering. Try them out - if you set it up right, you'll be chucking rocks at any other methods.

Yeah I was thinking about it and a 5-10gal tote full of nutes does seem much safer on the floor than elevated 3'-4'. I'm thinking if I elevate a smaller res above the main res, it should be directly above it, so if it leaks it will just drain/drip into the main res, and to keep a drip loop in the feed line above the main res as well?... thinking about how I can manage that. Maybe wire shelving or something? Or just build a box/stand out of 2x4, 3 sided on the bottom so the 10gal tote can slide in and out easily, and hold a 1.5gal sterlite 5' above it? Box about 3'x2'x5'? .433psi per ft means only 2psi at 5', but higher than that seems less feasible to build or maintain....

I use 2" PVC for my supply lines. I do not have any air bubble problems. I have heard the bluemats his letting out the air or spitting. But they do not "vapor lock". I also have trouble with my air pump heating my rez. What was your solution?

Wow 2"??? Must have a field of dreams! How is your air pump heating your rez? Just from the bubbles it's blowing into it???? Pretty sure the other guy was talking about submersible water pump pumping from main rez to elevated rez, heating the main rez when it was just left to run and elevated res overflow back into main rez 24/7.

This is great news. How long have you been running the pressure reducer trouble-free? Would you recommend a new user go straight for the pressure reducer, assuming a just-add-water coco-based organic super soil?

I have municipal water that has a slight chlorine smell and ph is about 7.4. It's a small town with maybe 1000 people, no hospital, and no public sewer. We all have our own septic, so it's not terrible nasty recycled city water.

I know that chlorine evaporates when it touches air. It may be impossible to know without just trying it, but do you think it would "air-out" enough to be safe, just falling from the drip line to the soil? My thinking is that it's only one drop at a time, and chances are it's touching the air for 10 seconds (or whatever) before it falls..

Thank you everyone for this whole thread! I read the whole thing again and recently got my patio kit in the mail. I need more parts and I'm wondering if the pressure reducer should be on the list :dance013:

You can get an inline carbon water filter fairly cheap to reduce chlorine.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran

Yes, you should use a P/R. Between me and my friend ~8 grows, 40 pots per, that's 320 pot-runs, no trouble. The P/R is awesome. The tiny bit of Chlorine won't hurt anything, AFOM uses chlor. water and zero issues(I used to too, actually).

Last edited:
G

greenmatter

2" supply line? if that is not a typo, could you describe your system?

i was having problems with the water pump warming the rez, but that was only when i ran it all the time. with some good advice from our local electrician i put float sensors in the top bucket so the pump only runs when it has to.

i bubble both the top and bottom rez just to keep things moving, but it has never raised my rez temps higher than room temps

lowbrow

Yes, you should use a P/R. Between me and my friend ~8 grows, 40 pots per, that's 320 pot-runs, no trouble. The P/R is awesome. The tiny bit of Chlorine won't hurt anything, AFOM uses chlor. water and zero issues(I used to too, actually).

Thank you again sunnydog and everyone! My pressure reducer is on its way with a bunch more parts.

Have you been strict with the dripper hose being only 8 cm past the blumat? This seems less relevant with the added pressure, but I plan to follow the instructions to the letter unless you're rolling trouble-free with longer lengths.

I'd like to just use 1 blumat per 7 gallon smart pot if possible. They're about 35 cm in diameter and I don't fill them up all the way. I'll probably try different configs of blumat location in the pot and arrow clicks (or unclicks) during the dial-in phase. Again maybe something I'll have to try to find out but I thought maybe someone had experience with this size pot and only 1 regular blumat.

I can't wait to get these all set up and dripping away :thank you:

By the way, Planet Earth Hydroponics shipped quickly and discreetly via Priority Mail from "PEH, Inc." Reasonably priced shipping costs too. I saw a couple comments awhile back that they were using standard shipping for each part; this is not the case any more.

E

ekomsi

I have 50 blumats up and running I watered a few times before inserting the blumats into the coco mix, Im wondering how many arrows past a clinging drop should I set the sensor too?

Latest posts

Latest posts