What's new

bluestreak in a suitcase

I

IceColdCrickets

Hey there, nice little suitcase!
Just figured I would hook you up with some info on BS and that smell, and a few other pointers to help you get the most seed out of your run.

The BlueStreak skunk/Fruit smell,, most females will get very strong! You will find yourself stuggling to keep her under control. 1 plant will stink out a very large room, if not that complete floor it is on. So good luck with that! :joint:

Are you keeping both males or just the one? It would be wise to use both males to keep the genetic pool wider instead of bottle necking and possibly locking out some traits. Just mix up the pollen as you collect it. I see your male is pushing hard to release pollen now, as you know those preflowers are getting ready to nut all over. Releasing pollen now would run high risk of early pollenation of your female! very bad idea, most AF plants will become stunted when pollenated to early, and your seed yeild is totally screwed. Pollenation around week 5 or 6 would be your best bet, so you have to tame those males cutting off the preflowers and later the main top and so on... you can pollenate your entire female with one small branch that is left of the male once your females are ready. I just put the male in front of the female and simply blow in it, millions of pollen grains are released all over the female, i do it once on each side. Full pollenation of fat females is guaranteed. Harvest your seeds around week 10+, seed runs always take longer then growing for buds alone, to ensure 100% ripe seed. :joint:

Nice to see you saw the Organic Method, Although I personally have never used the Espoma Biotone, its a start. Using the Method complete as directed will yield the best results. Organic buds taste the best!

Keep us updated on thier move and progress!

Peace ICC.

C

ChynaRyder

Hey ICC, thank you for the input. While I am an experienced canna grower, these plants are totally new territory for me, so I appreciate ALL of your studied input, m8.

"The BlueStreak skunk/Fruit smell,, most females will get very strong! You will find yourself stuggling to keep her under control. 1 plant will stink out a very large room, if not that complete floor it is on. So good luck with that!"

I suspected that was coming based on the smell of the 2 little boys. I live in the sticks, no neighbors piss in the driveway stuff. Very few visitors to the house too (my dogs wont let ANYONE show up unannounced) That said, I can tolerate some smell in their current location, but will be moving them to their new home very soon. We are in the act of moving, as it is a local move, so if things get real bad, I will focus on getting the girls better situated straight away.

"Are you keeping both males or just the one?"

Am keeping both, and was considering separating them from the girl just because of what you say. But, while the boys are in FULL flower (I almost posted more pics last night because the flower spike on one is stretching and spurt from MANY flowers is imminent) the girl has done enough to let me know She is a She, but she really is still in veg, and there are not many pistils available for pollination. Prolly a good thing. I will collect from both boys in a separate suitcase (oh lord, not another!!!:wallbash:) and will pollinate the female at appropriate time. I guess I will prune the boys too, I have just been so damn impressed with their performance that I have hesitated.

"Nice to see you saw the Organic Method, Although I personally have never used the Espoma Biotone, its a start. Using the Method complete as directed will yield the best results. Organic buds taste the best!"

Yea m8, I have been a chem grower all my life, but organic makes more sense with these. That said, I cannot follow your method to the letter, cause I am NOT ordering soil throught the mail, and cannot get Fox Farm stuff (or ANY decent Organic soil) anywhere local. Will bastardise your system as needed, but will try an keep them organic (as long as spider mites dont show!)

Thanks for the tips m8, and please drop any others you may see that I should heed. I would love to hear your opinion on the bud quality of this strain, as there is SO little info out there. I am sailing in somewhat foreign waters, and a lighthouse always helps.:abduct:

Last edited:
C

ChynaRyder

Day 19 update

Day 19 update

OK, quick update cause I am gonna have a busy weekend, and had the time today. This is day 19 of MDanzig's Bluestreak. Just fed the girl yesterday afternoon for the first time, other than what was in the soil. Did not like the foliage color, and she is responding. Mixed a little less than a tablespoon of the biotone fert with a tablespoon of molases. The increase in vigour was noticeable overnight.

picture.php

18 hrs pre tea

picture.php

18 hrs post tea, so about 36 hours growth, gain of an inch or so. She is now about 6+ inches, and continuing to gain momentum.

picture.php

A light pruning of 1 whole fan, and several lobes from 3 fans blocking growing points.

picture.php

After prune

picture.php

After prune.

picture.php

Pistils!!!

picture.php

The boys got whacked a bit. Still in with the girl, and i am pulling maturing flowers daily. Might end up moving and collecting if it looks like I canot hold them off. Hanging in, in their plastic cups. I will study the roots once they are done, to see the effect of the clear cup.

picture.php

Young uns are doin good on day 4 outta the soil.

picture.php

Finally, interesting purpling on leaf undersides on all. Assuming this is the nature of Bluestreak, and not an artifact of the LED. Wonder if it could be developed? Until next week.:joint::abduct:

C

ChynaRyder

Oh, forgot to add that the odor is still well contained within the closet, and no worries. The case is a little crowded, but still a decent growing environment.
picture.php

Seedling

Looking good mate! Nice to see some one else using LED on autos. Have some JD Blue streaks for my next run that will be going under the LED together with a mix of 6 other auto strains in a couple of weeks time when my HBDs are cut down. Will be following this thread.

C

ChynaRyder

Looking good mate! Nice to see some one else using LED on autos. Have some JD Blue streaks for my next run that will be going under the LED together with a mix of 6 other auto strains in a couple of weeks time when my HBDs are cut down. Will be following this thread.
Thanks Bro. I am extremely impressed with the LED. I have said it before, but am so impressed that I will repeat: High intensity light, without heat. My only concern is that she has not stretched much, but I suspect it is coming. Her vigour seems to be raising exponentially, and
i cannot express how impressed I am with this strain. I am really anxious to finish this seed run, and really see what this strain can do. Autos and LED may be the easiest means of growing good herbs.:2cents:

chyna,will be happy to make post when there up and going there is only 1 problem..never done anything at all inside..wonder if these are good for the beginner? want to breed , to get sum seed, for next yr's outdoor crop's..but dont wanna mess it up...was going to go with a 400 or 600 watt setup but thinking led?

also to add to the mix is jd diesel ryder know anything on it? would love to cross these with a good stable early thc filled indica. any ideas?.can remember back when buds were done mid august- 1st sept..but thanks to leo near the moutains of the east its long gone..havnt had nothing like that since, were brought in from cali in the 90's..been serching ever since, but the sites and all u guys are helping make things better..thanks alot

I

IceColdCrickets

Hey bro, they look good but could be better. Dont take offence I just tell it how i see it, and try to help. Those leaves with the purple are not just BlueStreak, it comes from the LR#1 in the genetics, they show up under stress. Do the leaves on the top of the plants feel hard to the touch more rigid then normal plants? They look very thin and restricted, that is a sign of stress, toxic build up, or just not enough air in the soil. What are you feeding them? Fill me in and maybe we can make them a little more healthy, to get some better buds.

ICC.

C

ChynaRyder

Hey bro, they look good but could be better. Dont take offence I just tell it how i see it, and try to help. Those leaves with the purple are not just BlueStreak, it comes from the LR#1 in the genetics, they show up under stress. Do the leaves on the top of the plants feel hard to the touch more rigid then normal plants? They look very thin and restricted, that is a sign of stress, toxic build up, or just not enough air in the soil. What are you feeding them? Fill me in and maybe we can make them a little more healthy, to get some better buds.

ICC.
I never take offense when those that i ask for tips do so. Indeed the lower fan leaves are rather thick and fleshy, but this is only on leaves produced pre-transplant. Growth post transplant has much less of this effect. I am sure that nutes are low, but am erring on the side of caution knowing the nute sensitivity of Blueberry. Also have heard of similar sensitiviies in this strain? I did just give a light feeding, and the response was palpable. I will keep them a little more juiced up now, if you think the nute sensitivity issue is overblown with this strain. I would not call the plants 'Thin' though. I have been doing a good bit of pruning to keep lower growing points clear, which is contributing to the 'Thin' look. I think my light is contributing somewhat to stress, with the 24/7. Now that the girl is in full flower, I will back off to 20/4 which may help. Just raised the light this AM, which was within 2-3 inches of the canopy. This may also help reduce the stress you are seeing. I just got through all of Mossys thread, and the comments on the better performance in clay v. plastic struck me. I may punch some aeration holes in the plastic pot. Certain there is not toxic buildup, as she has been in the pot for a little more than a week, and I flush with each watering. Thanks for the interest dude. I will now stop being lazy, and will fully read your thread.:joint:

C

ChynaRyder

chyna,will be happy to make post when there up and going there is only 1 problem..never done anything at all inside..wonder if these are good for the beginner? want to breed , to get sum seed, for next yr's outdoor crop's..but dont wanna mess it up...was going to go with a 400 or 600 watt setup but thinking led?

If you have NO indoor experience, I might urge you to try growing under cfl's first, just to make sure you are gonna continue. Autos perform very well under adequate CFL light. LED's are very expensive initially, and nothing would suck more than to lay out those funds, and then not be able to deal with indoor (Dont really know how that would be, but it Is possible). If you do choose to go LED, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! There are a lot of crap LED's out there, and I think the lights I have are from one of 3 manufacturers that actually will grow good bud from start to finish. (I dont want to advertise for this company because while I believe she has NAILED it with her light, her business practices on other sites have sickened me a bit)

Update: Since she is now a vendor on this site, and is Paying to push her product now, I will tell you all that my lights are from Hydro Grow LED. I have 1 126 W and 1 63 W. If they continue to work as well as the 63 has so far, I will be adding another 126 to my grow.

So far, I have seen nothing with the bluestreak that would make me advise against a newb growing it. Just do your homework, read ICC's thread on his method, (which is idiot proof if you can get the right stuff). Check MDanzigs forum (in the breeders section) on this site, and read as many grow logs as you can find on the strain you choose. The ONLY negative that I see with the Bluestreaks so far, is that there is very little good info out there on it, and the few grow reports are skimpy in their content (which is why I am trying to put as much in this thread as possible to get the info in print). I may have the girl a little under fed, but this is due to the report of nute sensitivity with this strain (going back to limited info) The most helpful advice for the novice indoor grower is to not do too much (K.I.S.S.) Most indoor grow problems are caused by the grower 'loving' their plants to death with excess nutes and water.
Good Luck.:joint:

I

IceColdCrickets

hey bro!, when i said the :Thin: i meant the leaves on top of the plant and around the middle, yes you are correct if you have been flushing every time you water and using very little if not any newts then your plants have been starving. That would be the reason for the purple under the leaves and the restricted leaf growth, those leafs should be much bigger then they are. They are showing restricted size due to lack of food, due to that flushing everytime , you are washing away any available newts that might be there. I would suggest giving them nice flush of Fish Emulsion, if you want to go organic. You will see an increaes in growth, if it isnt to late. The thing with AFs once they start to get into heavy flower about week 4-5, if they are screwed up then, it is hard for them to bounce back. Making them as happy as they can be from the start yields the best results.

Your good to be careful but BlueStreak hasn't shown the same sensitivity of Pure BlueBerry. It is much more tolerant to high newts and will eat them up at a good rate.

Ya thanks for reading my thread, I will be adding and editing just a few things in it over the next few days. I see that people are having trouble getting ahold of Fox Farm products,, So, my new task is to make a TEA mix myself, and try to make it available world wide. That will really help many more people find the benefits of Organics and make it that much easier to get the meds they need. You see one hard fact is that some of the ingredients in the TEA mix are banned from shipping out of country. Bone Meal for example, is damn near impossible because of the old mad cow scare. So, my mission is to create a TEA mix with all the performance, but made with ingredients that can be shipped world wide.

Wish me luck! I will post my results and I will be making some new TEA mixes soon.
ICC :joint:

C

ChynaRyder

hey bro!, when i said the :Thin: i meant the leaves on top of the plant and around the middle, yes you are correct if you have been flushing every time you water and using very little if not any newts then your plants have been starving. I did mix in 1 tbs. of fert into the soil at startup and transplant, besides the 1 TEA. Im gonna give her another light TEA Sunday, and will keep her more juiced along.
That would be the reason for the purple under the leaves and the restricted leaf growth, those leafs should be much bigger then they are. I think some of the leaf Size is an artifact of the LED. Plant size in comparison to others I have seen at this stage of growth is very good Leaf morphology does change in response to different intensities of light. I have had this cutting edge LED blasting on her 24/7 from about 4" away since she emerged from the soil. Really feels to me that this is playing a role in the way the leaves look. They are showing restricted size due to lack of food, due to that flushing everytime , you are washing away any available newts that might be there. Only running a couple extra OZ's of water through with each watering. More watering to runoff than flushing. Dont think I have pushed out too many neuts.. I would suggest giving them nice flush of Fish Emulsion, if you want to go organic. I will see what Ican get today You will see an increaes in growth, if it isnt to late. The thing with AFs once they start to get into heavy flower about week 4-5, if they are screwed up then, it is hard for them to bounce back. Making them as happy as they can be from the start yields the best results. She's only 3 weeks, so time to build er up!

Your good to be careful but BlueStreak hasn't shown the same sensitivity of Pure BlueBerry. It is much more tolerant to high newts and will eat them up at a good rate. Good to know...I am learning this strain

Ya thanks for reading my thread, I will be adding and editing just a few things in it over the next few days. I see that people are having trouble getting ahold of Fox Farm products,, So, my new task is to make a TEA mix myself, and try to make it available world wide. That will really help many more people find the benefits of Organics and make it that much easier to get the meds they need. You see one hard fact is that some of the ingredients in the TEA mix are banned from shipping out of country. Bone Meal for example, is damn near impossible because of the old mad cow scare. So, my mission is to create a TEA mix with all the performance, but made with ingredients that can be shipped world wide.

Wish me luck! I will post my results and I will be making some new TEA mixes soon. Good luck on your entrepreneurial venture!
ICC :joint:
Thanks for the tips, man.

chynarider hey man, was thinking of going with 600 watt from digital greenhouse .they any good?.will have to read icc's thread on em later when i get the time.but there is a place in the city that carries fox farm stuff.yeah dont have the big $$ to toss out for led's..as far as loving plants..like to leave em for 2 weeks at a time outside and go see a suprise..so maybe we can get it done inside..keep the post's coming..seeds shud be on there way..how long does seedbay take?

C

ChynaRyder

chynarider hey man, was thinking of going with 600 watt from digital greenhouse .they any good?.will have to read icc's thread on em later when i get the time.but there is a place in the city that carries fox farm stuff.yeah dont have the big $$ to toss out for led's..as far as loving plants..like to leave em for 2 weeks at a time outside and go see a suprise..so maybe we can get it done inside..keep the post's coming..seeds shud be on there way..how long does seedbay take?
Dont know about digital green house. All of my old HID lighting was Cool Sun stuff. You can probably find some reviews somewhere. I have gotten things from the bay in 10 days usually.:joint:

C

ChynaRyder

Ok, it became very clear on Tuesday of last week that the girl was under severe stress, and I thank ICC for picking up on it before I. She crashed pretty hard, and it was my soil. I have always tended to mix my soils a little on the 'heavy' side to retain some moisture to keep from having to water every day under an HPS. This being my first run with LED, I did not break all of my old habits, and the soil she was in was on the heavy side. Thing with LED is, you do not get any heat and drying of the soil like you do with HPS. Hence, the girl was suffering dearly with waterlogged roots. pH also dropped to 5.8 in response to the TEA I was using. So...I transplanted her into a 2 gallon pot, using the extreme raised transplanting technique. I used pro-mix BX soil, and added a small bag of vermiculite to further improve drainage. I also added 2 tbs of dolomitic lime. She was touch and go till about Thursday, and has shown dramatic improvement since then. It appears that she lost about a week, but is back in business, and should serve her purpose of bearing seed (which I did allow her to be polinated on Thursday, and her pistols are withdrawn today) I have enough pollen collected and frozen to pollinate several smaller buds on the up and comers. Of the three young ones, 1 is definately male, and the other 2 appear to be female as they are showing nothing. They are still in their beer cups due to lack of time, but they will be potted up tomorrow, and the suitcase will recieve a thorough cleaning to remove excess pollen. The smell is still well contained within the closet. When she was sick, the smell dwindled to almost nil. Now that she is back up a humming, the smell is quite powerful, but still contained. The closet is off my master bathroom, and there is NO smell in the bathroom...so far, so good.

Stressed out but improving girl day 28, near fully pollinated.

Some bud sites and yellowing

The young ones, male in the middle, and I believe 2 girls on the outsides!:abduct:

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how did you get 63 watts of LED in a suitcase and not fry them!! ??

thats alot of heat man

C

ChynaRyder

how did you get 63 watts of LED in a suitcase and not fry them!! ??

thats alot of heat man

Um, there is NO heat. I actually have to seal the suitcase up on cold nights to maintain some warmth in there. LED produces no heat (or VERY little)...one of the great advantages of them. I have had the light within 4" of the little plants in the most recent photos, and you can see, no burn.

looking nice chyna, still waiting on blue streak here..they gunna be lit up with a 600 watt hps.maybe big things will happen ..lol.keep the post coming man, wanting to see how many seeds u get..how many u think?