What's new

Blimey's Ghetto Perpetual

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
edit - adding the "metal band things" is a good move as they offer the best seal (equals better performance) and also adding a length of duct to the exhaust side of the fan reduces noise considerably - this is when set up as drawing air out of the tent rather than pushing... (make sense?)..

Umm.....not sure if I follow....

Currently...fan is sucking on empty side (will attach carbon filter to this side once it becomes necessary) and exhausts thru ducting to outside.....when the noise level dropped earlier...it was because the ducting fell off (changed type of tape from the metallic stuff to the brown stuff and seems to be holding better).

Initially, I had the whole 6m of ducting attached.....after finding a tool strong enough to cut the ducting to minimise the fan -> outside distance, it seems to be working better....not sure if it's any quieter.....but I'm thinking the less ducting, with less bends/kinks, the better?

RudeDog

Veteran
Getting there mate.

Those metal bands are called jubilee clips. Should be able to get them down B & Q etc. You'll get a good seal with them mate. Bit of silicone sealant smeared round the inside of the ducting.

Any chance you could measure that reflector? Wondering if one like that would fit in my cab.

Cheers

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Hey RD!

Thanks for the tip....

Just measured it - Reflector is 50cm length by 40cm width, about 15cm height. ("Dutch Barn" - about £25 if bought on its own)

Since making various adjustments......temp has dropped about 5f.....still about 90ish...but moving in the right direction :)

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
ah ok, how I have mine set up is the can is inside the tent with the duct running to the fan (I have the same klima model I think) which is outside, the fan is sucking through the can and blowing out of the empty side, I then added some (160mm) duct to that empty side and found it to be 30-40% quieter.. I'd be a litte weary of hanging a lamp, fan and can all from the tent as well mate... but I do see others doing it that way :)

You're right about less duct and less bends too, but again its a matter of tweaking stuff til it's right...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not sure if you'll get jubilee clips big enough at b&q but your hydro store should have them.
you should find that moving the ballast out makes a big difference :D

and you are right the shorter and straighter the ducting the better. i think you will find fitting the carbon filter makes it a bit quieter too. these fast clamps are excellent for fitting fan to filter. and tbh i would fit the filter now as otherwise you will have to mess with it all again.
at a pinch some medium duty garden wire wound up with pliers to tighten will fit the ducting to the fan too

you need to email me

VG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
ah ok, how I have mine set up is the can is inside the tent with the duct running to the fan (I have the same klima model I think) which is outside, the fan is sucking through the can and blowing out of the empty side, I then added some (160mm) duct to that empty side and found it to be 30-40% quieter.. I'd be a litte weary of hanging a lamp, fan and can all from the tent as well mate... but I do see others doing it that way :)

You're right about less duct and less bends too, but again its a matter of tweaking stuff til it's right...

Ah....I see. I was going to attach the carbon directly to the fan.....although I might need to rejig things to fit it all in. I've put the two ceiling poles they give you together for extra strength, so I think I'll be alright, strength-wise...although I might find something better than garden wire to use to hang things from.

As an aside....I'm using adjustable hangers for the reflector - I might ditch them and raise the light up higher - I'm having to use garden wire to hang the hangers from (they come with screw hooks which are not much use with a tent pole), and am losing half my vertical height with the hangers on their minimum adjustment.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
not sure if you'll get jubilee clips big enough at b&q but your hydro store should have them.
you should find that moving the ballast out makes a big difference :D

and you are right the shorter and straighter the ducting the better. i think you will find fitting the carbon filter makes it a bit quieter too. these fast clamps are excellent for fitting fan to filter. and tbh i would fit the filter now as otherwise you will have to mess with it all again.
at a pinch some medium duty garden wire wound up with pliers to tighten will fit the ducting to the fan too

Hey VG :)

I just checked my local hydro place's website.....and they do both jubilee clips and fast clamps in 100mm.....so I'll pick some up in the next few days.

You are, of course, right about the carbon.....I'll get it attached. I'm just a lazy lazy man.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah ive always found it easier to just chock the plants up than move the light - but i have very little headroom anyway. the fastclamps are quite hard to fit - tight fit! but work very well.

also you need to measure the temps at about canopy level but not in direct glare of the light afaik - as that can give you a much higher reading than the ambients.

bungees are good for hanging the fan and filter - they also stop vibrations which only add to the noise. you really want the fan and filter isolated from the tent totally with the bungees.

one last thing. remember that the plants themselves act as coolers because of the evaporation of water from the leaves - so you should find they help your temps too.

vg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
p.s. you said the fan was 5" not 4" so you will want to check that before you buy the fast clamps etc ;)

VG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I was reading temps in direct light.....I've moved the thermo to the far side of the tent - should help shave off another few Fs.

Fan is 5"...but with reducers to 4" attached on each end, as my tent holes are 4".

Carbon is now attached.....quite a feat, as it has no hook holes, and doesn't attach to the fan....had to use ducting to attach, and is temporarily hanging with old stereo cables (I know...I know....I'll find something better). Fan noise is reduced quite a bit.....which is nice :)

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
the tent should've come with some straps for hanging the can mate ... if not, tell the guy at the shop they were missing...

I have a 5" fan boxed connected to the carbon filter hanging in my DR80, this seems to be the best way I have found to keep it quiet as poss. Used the straps that came with the tent to hang the filter so you should get onto them about that one m8.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Just this morning.....deep in the bag the tent came in.....I found the straps lol.

Another little task for me today.
Thanks for the reminder gents :tiphat:

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Thanks ;)

Temps steady at 85F.....much more like it.....will get better when it starts to fill up.

Latest posts

Latest posts