What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bitcoin Talk

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am really interested in dapps..quantam and eos and iota are all interesting for this..look at crypto kitties .. fuuuuukin hell

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm here to help anybody use bitcoin..

start by downloading the most popular bitcoin wallet app. it's called "blockchain"...

if you buy bitcoin to pay for seeds..there is a small chance you might make a few pennies too..bitcoin jumped from 500$ each to over 4000$ in the last few months..

after simply "looking into" bitcoin to pay for seeds offered from breeders retail I ended up earning more moñey than I ever have in a single year...

bitcoin...daaaaaam right!!

anyone needs help..im here to help

fuuuk...4000 lol...seems like ages

mushroombrew

Veteran
central banking vs decentralized banking

your choice

If the NSA has a part in this; Bitcoin can hardly be considered decentralizing. They may have just changed where the center is.

Anonimity is clearly BS as I have been seeing lots of Bitcoin asset seizures related to illegal dark web activity.

I guess we will find out soon. How many Americans are paying Taxes on their crypto gains? Gains are gains.

What I mean is if Bitcoin wallets start getting seized by the IRS we will know for sure the NSA is deeply involved.

The man will get his money. He always does.

Al Capone anyone?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Anonimity is clearly BS as I have been seeing lots of Bitcoin asset seizures related to illegal dark web activity.
LOL Bitcoin is a PUBLIC ledger coin. The only people continually saying bitcoin is anon are the media and the ignorant. Every single transaction is recorded, along with the source IP address, and it's all publicly available for anyone to see.

Look to Zcash or Monero for anon money movement. ;)

What I mean is if Bitcoin wallets start getting seized by the IRS we will know for sure the NSA is deeply involved.
Sure, and you'll see a nearly instant devaluation of bitcoin, as people move their assets into a more stable, Non-NSA coin. :)

Bitcoin is the first crypto coin, it will most likely not survive as long as people expect. Something better has/will come along and replace it. I wouldn't get hung up on it. :)

Chappi

Is the rise in value of bitcoin due to speculation?

Absolutely. They will say that the stock market is in a bubble(true) they will say that the dollar is in a bubble(true) the will compare bitcoin to gold as a safe asset. They will say that there are only a set amount of bitcoins. But it’s all speculation. Doesn’t mean it can’t go to 40,000$:dance013:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
When people that don't normally invest in an asset (Bitcoin), begin investing in a highly speculative investment--the price will always be artificially high (amateur hour on parade).

I read a few days ago that some people are taking out 2nd mortgages to invest in Bitcoin. If it were me, I would be investigating "out of the money Put Options" in anticipation of a "market correction" (due to the "artificial high" caused be amateur investors paying too much).

And when (not if) the Bitcoin market corrects itself (pushing the price to the lower "real price"), an "out of the money Put" will jump from pennies to dollars (hundreds? thousands?, yep...some will).

But imo, there are other alternative investments available that behave similarly and are worthy of my money.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How would you access these put options on bitcoin? Never heard of them before. At this point I am more interested in profiting on declining prices of e-coins and stocks than jumping into them. At the least just staying out of them seems wise.

Douglas.Curtis

The last time "Joe Public" began getting involved with bitcoin, the price went to what... $8kUSD? Then it dropped back (IIRC) to around $400, slightly higher than before the insanity. (Those numbers may be incorrect, the point is there though)

Bitcoin was at $6k, watch it correct to between $7k and $10k eventually. Could be higher if all this wall street insanity keeps it pumped a few years.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
How would you access these put options on bitcoin? Never heard of them before. At this point I am more interested in profiting on declining prices of e-coins and stocks than jumping into them. At the least just staying out of them seems wise.

Here is one: https://www.deribit.com/

It has BOTH "futures" and "options".

I am sure if there is one, then there will be more out there.

I would do this, investigate "stock options" at other websites (lots out there) so you can understand the terminology, procedures and the "game". Then use that site's demo account to "learn" and practice trading without losing a "bit"--before going "live".

Their FAQ--

1. General FAQ
Can I deposit fiat currency like USD, EUR or Rupees etc?
No, we only accept bitcoin (BTC) as funds to deposit. When we are able to accept fiat money, it will be announced additionally. To deposit funds go to menu Account > Deposit where your BTC deposit address can be found. BTC can be bought on other exchanges like: Kraken.com, Bitstamp.net etc.

My deposit/withdrawal is pending. Can you speed it up?
Lately the Bitcoin network is very busy and many transactions are waiting in the mempool to be processed by the miners. We can't influence the Bitcoin network and thus we cannot speed up transactions. Also we cannot "double spend" withdrawals to be processed with more withdrawal fee. If you want your transaction to be accelerated, please try the BTC.com transaction accelerator.

Are my funds safe?
We keep more than 95% of our customer deposits in cold storage. Vast majority of funds are stored in multiple bank safes.

I lost my 2 Factor Authentication, how can I get access to my account?
Please send an e-mail to support@deribit.com and we will start the procedure.

Is there a demo account functionality for newbies to try out the exchange?
Sure. You can go to https://test.deribit.com. Create a new account over there and test what you like.

Do you have official wrappers/examples for your API?
You may check our Github https://github.com/deribit for available official wrappers.

I had some questions about the security of Deribit, okay to talk in the chat, or email better?
Sure it's better to send us an e-mail: info@deribit.com.

Is the exchange open 24 hr x 7 days?
Yes. Crypto exchanges usually do not close apart from system outages/updates.

2. Futures FAQ
What's a Futures contract at Deribit.com?
In our case a Futures Contract is an agreement to buy or sell a bitcoin at a predetermined price at a specified time in the future.

What's the contract size of the Futures?
1 contract is 10 USD.

What does Δ|Delta mean?
Delta is the amount an option price is expected to move based on a $1 change in the underlying (in our case bitcoin). Calls have positive delta, between 0 and 1. That means if the price of bitcoin goes up and no other pricing variables change, the price for the call will go up. Your total Delta is the amount your portfolio will increase with each $1 move on the Bitcoin price.

3. Options FAQ
Are Options European style?
European Vanilla Style. Exercise is automatic if they expire in the money. Cash settlement in the equivalent of bitcoin.

How can I buy or sell options?
You can click on an option on the BTC Options page (any price in the table). A popup will appear where you can add your order.

What is the minimum order size?
Currently 0.1 bitcoin.

The last time "Joe Public" began getting involved with bitcoin, the price went to what... $8kUSD? Then it dropped back (IIRC) to around $400, slightly higher than before the insanity. (Those numbers may be incorrect, the point is there though)

Bitcoin was at $6k, watch it correct to between $7k and $10k eventually. Could be higher if all this wall street insanity keeps it pumped a few years.

lol no it only went to $1200 never went remotely near 8k.

Douglas.Curtis

lol no it only went to $1200 never went remotely near 8k.
That's right, $1200. My memory is not the greatest, ty. lol I do have a bookmark in a browser with a bitcoin price of around $400 after that. ;)

It looks like the transaction fees are costing too much for daily merchant transactions. In my opinion, the bitcoin development team has been much more relaxed than other coins. This could actually hurt them for a while... no?

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Wow,
Nice small correction going on.
As predicted, alt coins are down against BTC and overall valuation has decreased. Might just get on board with chappi and buy a slice at around the 10 to 12k mark if it ever gets there.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not bothering it's hardly worth moving funds for a ponzi like this. I left my investment where it was & made 5 points this week. Free christmas & all. @ all the stages I could have got in on it's never made the returns of precious metal.

I've got more metal than I can carry & was thinking of some crypto but I won't bother with it now I know what it is, it's worthless to me. I don't need to chnge my lifestyle for some crypto & headache about moving it & money.

I bought a light when LTC was @ 300 instead of getting in & that lamp has already turned a profit where the coin wouldn't have moved my status..