What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bitcoin Talk

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
download an app called finance

ripple
litecoin
iota
0x
stellar lumens
Monereo

buy them all in bits an holdle

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Please conspiracy theories
Wait... fractional reserve banking is a conspiracy theory? Hrmmm.... I didn't see that one coming and it flies in the face of research I've done in the past. Yes, the banks of the world practice fractional reserve banking.

Go look it up. :tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Taking a quote out of context and adding your own meaning to it,doesn't make the original poster look dumb, it makes you look dumb. Everyone reading my post knows that what I was calling a conspiracy theory is that "only 3 banks on earth aren't run by the same family." This is clearly paranoid nonsense. You're clearly desperate to throw mud at me. I don't see why, but keep trying, let's see who gets the muddiest.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I always used to enjoy a good bank robbery back in the day, so long as no-one got hurt, and the robbers got away with loads of wonga.

In recent years sadly its been a dying art.

Douglas.Curtis

Taking a quote out of context and adding your own meaning to it,doesn't make the original poster look dumb, it makes you look dumb. Everyone reading my post knows that what I was calling a conspiracy theory is that "only 3 banks on earth aren't run by the same family." This is clearly paranoid nonsense. You're clearly desperate to throw mud at me. I don't see why, but keep trying, let's see who gets the muddiest.
Everyone knows the fractional reserve banking was the meat in the post. I don't care if someone has toast with aliens at lunch every day. When they quote factual information I don't discard it, simply because of the source.

R

Rubber Chicken

download an app called finance

ripple
litecoin
iota
0x
stellar lumens
Monereo

buy them all in bits an holdle

Could you share a link to 'finance' please?

When i try to search 'finance' or 'finance app' i get a lot of random results.

Thanks. :)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
This is why I visit here for a day now and then, but then like a flat roofed pub, the idiots put me off staying.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
GMT adding an element of caution. I like it. No doubt most of the coins are gonna be worth squat in the future.

I think there will be a relative few that do make it though. Paper currency is not much more valid than digital imo.

mushroombrew

Veteran
My friend raves about Bitcoin. But lacks basic understanding. He sells them for cash via CL ads.

How is everybody planning on cashing out? Is it possible for people to change bitcoin into other assets en mass? Because from where I sit it looks impossible.

Reminiscent of other bubbles. Until you have something tangible your profit is imaginary.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Time to put this in historical perspective--

It's Official: Bitcoin Surpasses "Tulip Mania", Is Now The Biggest Bubble In World History

One month ago, a chart from Convoy Investments went viral for showing that among all of the world's most famous asset bubbles, bitcoin was only lagging the infamous 17th century "Tulip Mania."

One month later, the price of bitcoin has exploded even higher, and so it is time to refresh where in the global bubble race bitcoin now stands, and also whether it has finally surpassed "Tulips."

Conveniently, overnight the former Bridgewater analysts Howard Wang and Robert Wu who make up Convoy, released the answer in the form of an updated version of their asset bubble chart. In the new commentary, Wang writes that the Bitcoin prices have again more than doubled since the last update, and "its price has now gone up over 17 times this year, 64 times over the last three years and superseded that of the Dutch Tulip’s climb over the same time frame."

That's right: as of this moment it is official that bitcoin is now the biggest bubble in history, having surpassed the Tulip Mania of 1634-1637.

picture.php

And with that we can say that crypto pioneer Mike Novogratz was right once again when he said that "This is going to be the biggest bubble of our lifetimes." Which, of course, does not stop him from investing hundreds of millions in the space: when conceding that cryptos are the biggest bubble ever, "Novo" also said he expects bitcoin to hit $40,000 and ethereum to triple to $1,500.

"Bitcoin could be at $40,000 at the end of 2018. It easily could," Novogratz said Monday on CNBC's "Fast Money." "Ethereum, which I think just touched $500 or is getting close, could be triple where it is as well."

As for Wang, here are some additional observations:

I continue this topic and discuss a main driver of bubbles. When we see a dramatic rise in asset prices, there is often an internal struggle between the two types of investors within us. The first is the value investor, “is this investment getting too expensive?” The second is the momentum investor, “am I missing out on a trend?” I believe the balance of these two approaches, both within ourselves and across a market, ultimately determines the propensity for bubble-like behavior. When there is a new or rapidly evolving market, our conviction in the value investor can weaken and the momentum investor can take over. Other markets that structurally lack a basis for valuation are even more susceptible to momentum swings because the main indicator of future value is the market’s perception of recent value.

Source: zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-12/its-official-bitcoin-surpasses-tulip-mania-now-biggest-bubble-world-history

A bit about "tulip mania" from: thebubblebubble.com/tulip-mania/

Tulips have long held a significant role in Dutch history and culture ever since they were introduced to the Netherlands from the Ottoman Empire in the mid-1500s. So strong was the Dutch love affair with tulips during the Dutch Golden Age of the mid-1600s that a tulip bulb bubble or "Tulip Mania" even occurred. Generally considered to be the first recorded financial bubble, the Tulip Mania of 1636-1637 was an episode in which tulip bulb prices were propelled by speculators to incredible heights before collapsing and plunging the Dutch economy into a severe crisis that lasted for many years.

picture.php

By the peak of tulipmania in February of 1637, a single tulip bulb was worth about ten times a craftsman’s annual income and a single Viceroy tulip bulb was allegedly exchanged for the following goods (The Tulipomania, n.d):

Two lasts of wheat
Four lasts of rye
Four fat oxen
Eight fat swine
Twelve fat sheep
Two hogsheads of wine
Four tuns of beer
Two tons of butter
1,000 lb. of cheese
A complete bed
A suit of clothes
A silver drinking cup

So, what will Bitcoin's value be...a year or 2 after the bubble height? History says, not much.

Douglas.Curtis

So, what will Bitcoin's value be...a year or 2 after the bubble height? History says, not much.
The cool thing, for me, is it doesn't matter what the price of Bitcoin reaches. I'm making a little here and there trading on it and investing the profits in coins with service value. Bitcoin can go insane and then die, I'll still be holding coins being used daily and getting paid for it. :tiphat:

Until then, people the world over are using bitcoin as a means to store wealth. Whether temporary or hoping for long term profits, they're moving their assets in to a form of currency which gotvs do not control. Sure, they can tax you on anything they can track, they're going to do this anyway.

When your country's financial system starts to go up in smoke (Greece, Zimbabwe, etc), you need something to exchange your soon to be worthless country coin into. Bitcoin and other coins have seen huge jumps during these times. It's getting easier and easier to do, so expect to see it happen more often and with greater severity.

We're walking in to the era of cryptocurrency. Enjoy the trip. :)
Save

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Time to put this in historical perspective--

Source: zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-12/its-official-bitcoin-surpasses-tulip-mania-now-biggest-bubble-world-history

A bit about "tulip mania" from: thebubblebubble.com/tulip-mania/

The best part is there are a lot of businesses hopping on board so cashing out doesn’t really need to happen. The art of spending comes into play.

Can anybody tell me how the BTC Cash fork is playing out? My asset manager said it won’t be available until early January.
Is that like a stock split or what?

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
My friend raves about Bitcoin. But lacks basic understanding. He sells them for cash via CL ads.

How is everybody planning on cashing out? Is it possible for people to change bitcoin into other assets en mass? Because from where I sit it looks impossible.

Reminiscent of other bubbles. Until you have something tangible your profit is imaginary.

Cashing out is no problem at all here. Spain.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fungibility.... big word...

fungible digital cryptographic assets.. more mobile than mobile banking.. tokenization is what is happens when you put money in your bank..

like another dude said... trading and hedging on bitcoin or the dollar is the best way to deal with the market

it's not a bubble ..its a new market and banking paradigm... not a bubble..a creation of a whole new market with a massive market cap..more users than most wallstreet trading groups..

it's a paradigm shift... from you trusting your bank and paying them the world for it .. trust in frictionless disruptive tech as your banking system is growing ..alot of people would rather a consensus system be in control of there money rather than a central banking system that takes and takes and takes..

digital accepts create a more mobile economic climate..move your money to somewhere it increases above the rate of inflation or your family will be skint by the time you are dead...

legacy is what I'm building . banks wouldn't help me so much against inflation do I have to hang with the peeps that do

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

coinbsse.. coinfloor0

you can cash out at any rate...just verify your id ..i don't have s prob as I'm legit now so treating it as a business...tge problem is trying to be annon.. you can only really make real big money when you are legit

Scout

Came across a great article this morning to share with the group as it seems pretty spot on. I have no interest in any crypto and do not care if I miss out but do want to have some awareness of the potential end game of this current mania...enjoy the ride to the Brave New World.

https://www.alt-market.com/articles/3332-the-virtual-economy-is-the-end-of-freedom

"Yes, I am referring primarily to cyptocurrency "tulip-mania" (sorry bitcoiners, the description is too fitting, it isn't going away), but not this issue alone. I am also referring to a far-reaching problem of which cryptocurrencies are a mere reflection. Namely, the fact that humanity is swiftly losing sight of what a true economy is and what it is supposed to accomplish. It is because of this reality that crypto is thriving.
First, let's be clear, fiat currencies are one of the first machinations of the virtual economy. Once paper currencies printed from thin air by central bankers were separated from tangible backing and accepted by the masses as "valuable" and worth trading labor for, the seed of financial cancer was planted. Today, there is one final step needed for the establishment to accomplish complete tyranny in global trade and that is to disconnect the masses fully from private transactions. In other words, we must be tricked into going digital, where privacy is an absurd memory."

"Here is the issue, though; true money requires intrinsic value. Cryptocurrencies have no intrinsic value. They are conjured from nothing by programmers, they are "mined" in a virtual mine created from nothing, and they have no unique aspects that make them rare or tangibly useful. They are an easily replicated digital product. Anyone can create a cryptocurrency. And for those that argue that "math gives crypto intrinsic value," I'm sorry to break it to them, but the math is free.

In fact, for those that are not already aware, Bitcoin uses the SHA-256 hash function, created by none other than the National Security Agency (NSA) and published by the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST).
Yes, that's right, Bitcoin would not exist without the foundation built by the NSA. Not only this, but the entire concept for a system remarkably similar to bitcoin was published by the NSA way back in 1996 in a paper called "How To Make A Mint: The Cryptography Of Anonymous Electronic Cash."
The origins of bitcoin and thus the origins of crytpocurrencies and the blockchain ledger suggest anything other than a legitimate rebellion against the establishment framework and international financiers. I often cite this same problem when people come to me with arguments that the internet has set the stage for the collapse of the globalist information filter and the mainstream media. The truth is, the internet is also an establishment creation developed by DARPA, and as Edward Snowden exposed in his data dumps, the NSA has total information awareness and backdoor control over every aspect of web data."

Enjoy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts