What's new

Bitcoin Talk

St. Phatty

For you folks that are into Bitcoin -

How much does the Cost of Production, of Bitcoin, affect the price ?

Obviously related to electricity rates, & the amortized cost of all that mining hardware & software.

andl

i m not saying its repeating, but its definetly alive and this time its much more diffrent, a lot more people know about cryptos yet, a lot more smartwallets easier buying methods more daily applications, other options... the ICE's, Bakkt, fidelity, financial sector attention more more more, and so on WTF this can really get nuts this time i think.

brexit, trump/china, venezuela, trading wars, unsecurity in fiat, all that stuff drives btc further.

time will tell

F

Frylock

Obviously related to electricity rates, & the amortized cost of all that mining hardware & software.

I *think* that somehow it is cheaper to produce when the price is lower, or the reward goes up?
Some kind of fail safe coded into it to prevent stress on the network if there is a severe change in mining power.

I'm sure someone can answer better than me, but i think it's something like that....

andl

sorry m8 its not possible to answer that exactly. do you mean if youre mining?

mining is lost, forget it this was at the start, now its just trading.

just read some articles online.

Chappi

5000 BTC = profit for miners
Less than 5000 BTC = loss for miners.

You’re welcome. :tiphat:

F

Frylock

Well, take a chill pill :huggg:

I just found some of your posts hmmmm.... idk, objectionable?
But i'm not trying to stir up emotions.

Your answer to St. Phatty may have been correct-ish for right now but it is always changing was my point.... i just didn't really know how the cost vs price was achieved, (well, i had heard it before but it went in one ear and out the other) which it seemed he was asking.

Not a simple 'what is profitable now' question....

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
One has nothing to do with the other. You're still thinking in terms of cost markup, but it doesn't work like that.
Think of it more in terms of how much does it cost to breed and raise a racehorse and how much it will win in prize money.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
What does satoshi or the btc foundation or whoever it is get from these algorithms being solved though? What are they doing, hacking China? What makes it worth their time giving btc away in return for this mining service?

The wallet of satoshi nakamoto ahs like 100 million btc in it. Allegedly. They're not giving bitcoin away when it is mined. Bitcoin gets created when they are mined. Each coin has the block ledger for the past 10 minutes. And the blockchain is the record of all bitcoin transactions, aka every ledger. This is stored in wallets. So yea, he's worth a fuck ton of money. But its only worth anything is if it sits. Like he can't sell all 100 million.

F

Frylock

What does satoshi or the btc foundation or whoever it is get from these algorithms being solved though? What are they doing, hacking China? What makes it worth their time giving btc away in return for this mining service?

I thought 'Satoshi' kept ~1 million BTC and then the network ends up being it's own entity basically?

Just a system that was created for the people and run/owned by the people?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The same thing everyone gets from the algorithms being solved. They get uniquely encrypted assets which cannot be double-spent, counterfeited or stolen ( stolen without your help anyway).

They do not get 'paid' anything by the network directly, they only gain as the price of bitcoin rises.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
So rather than unlocking btc or getting them rewarded for the efforts, its the act of "mining" that's creating the btc?
If that's so, doesn't the whole big bang theory point to incredibly weak encryption on the earliest coins?

St. Phatty

What's next after Bitcoin ?

I still think a Titty Coin has possibilities.

Encryption and Breasts, what could possibly go wrong ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So rather than unlocking btc or getting them rewarded for the efforts, its the act of "mining" that's creating the btc?
Yes, exactly. :)
If that's so, doesn't the whole big bang theory point to incredibly weak encryption on the earliest coins?
No, not in the slightest. The first encryption was started with a seed number which only satoshi knows, or if they're smart they destroyed it. Each successive coin is started using part of the previous coin as it's seed.

I'm not sure, but I believe it's like a sweater in some respects. Once you find the original seed number, you should be able to unravel the entire blockchain. ;) Go quantum computing. :D

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cool, thanks, surprised it took over a thousand posts to get to an explanation of what it is.