What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biodynamic Gardening Thread

Aphotic

Yes, using the calendar to help picking days for taking cuttings, popping seeds, and especially harvest . The calendar has days for fruit, root, leaf, flower plants. Following the flower days I found great success. Have you ever noticed a burst of growth of white hairs toward the end of a flower cycle? This is because the flower day has just passed and it would be better to wait for the next one to harvest. Sometimes gardening has to happen when life allows for it, but being able to plan ahead with the calendar helps keep things moving at a good pace and keeps motivation high.

How was the calendar developed, are the influences the planets ever explained in depth? I find this subject intriguing, how long have you been practicing biodynamics? I see that you've been using the calendar for a few years, so are you fully embracing biodynamics, or using a combination of techniques?

SUVA

How was the calendar developed, are the influences the planets ever explained in depth? I find this subject intriguing, how long have you been practicing biodynamics? I see that you've been using the calendar for a few years, so are you fully embracing biodynamics, or using a combination of techniques?

Basically, how I understand it is that Maria Thun chose to put to test suggestions made by Rudolph Steiner and his Anthroposophical movement ("spiritual science"). Through rigorous testing and journals of her practices she gained a much better knowledge of esoteric gardening. Most of has to do with which constellation is positioned to the path of the moon and where the moon is at in its cycle. Each constellation has an elemental association like water, earth, air. Flowers correlate with the air signs therefore we would plant and harvest during those times for best results. This is an ancient wisdom practiced thousands of years ago by means etc. before we had television and all the distraction from the important stuff up in the sky. Other planetary positions and astronomical events play apart as well. Maria Thun has two books absolutely necessary to have if you're interested as well as a yearly calendar. The Biodynamic Year and Gardening for life. I believe they are available at the turtle tree link I posted. If you want to try to incorporate the planting calendars suggestions on an indoor cannabis garden just treat them as flowers and purchase the North American Biodynamic planting calendar by Maria Thun. I certainly don't have a farm or anything but I feel like using compost and organic soil mix practices along with the planting calendar is really all you can do to help make the best garden for yourself and others. Harvesting and cuttings and seed sprouting according to the calendar have had noticeable difference IMO. I've used biodynamic compost and preparations from different sources and they are great but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them ALL the time. Sorry for the ramblings on..my two cents.

Aphotic

Basically, how I understand it is that Maria Thun chose to put to test suggestions made by Rudolph Steiner and his Anthroposophical movement ("spiritual science"). Through rigorous testing and journals of her practices she gained a much better knowledge of esoteric gardening. Most of has to do with which constellation is positioned to the path of the moon and where the moon is at in its cycle. Each constellation has an elemental association like water, earth, air. Flowers correlate with the air signs therefore we would plant and harvest during those times for best results. This is an ancient wisdom practiced thousands of years ago by means etc. before we had television and all the distraction from the important stuff up in the sky. Other planetary positions and astronomical events play apart as well. Maria Thun has two books absolutely necessary to have if you're interested as well as a yearly calendar. The Biodynamic Year and Gardening for life. I believe they are available at the turtle tree link I posted. If you want to try to incorporate the planting calendars suggestions on an indoor cannabis garden just treat them as flowers and purchase the North American Biodynamic planting calendar by Maria Thun. I certainly don't have a farm or anything but I feel like using compost and organic soil mix practices along with the planting calendar is really all you can do to help make the best garden for yourself and others. Harvesting and cuttings and seed sprouting according to the calendar have had noticeable difference IMO. I've used biodynamic compost and preparations from different sources and they are great but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them ALL the time. Sorry for the ramblings on..my two cents.

No worries, I eventually ramble in just about every post I make, I totally get the stream of thought thing, it's how I operate. I practice no till organic gardening, on my farm and indoors. I make my own compost and worm castings, I also grow as many plant amendments as I can, and have those most often used, in beds in my rooms. My goal is to come up with a fully contained system and to be completely self sufficient, through permaculture design.

So much knowledge has been lost over the years, or should I say violently taken from us. Still to this day this goes on, on a global level. Even most of our languages are tools of obfuscation, taking us away from the natural world. Anything that creates a disconnect makes it easier for them to control and confuse us, like taking away the night sky. Missoula Montana is trying to pass a light pollution ordinance, which is amazing for many reasons, though unveiling more of the night sky for its residence is my favorite.

Thank you for the info, I'll be sure to check it out!

SUVA

You sound like you are on your way. Peep online planting calendars for now and see if you can notice a difference in how certain types of plants are happier or ripe on certain days and lmk what you think. Most people think this is nuts.

Aphotic

To me, If it works, Awesome! Of course I'd like to understand the mechanism behind it, but it's not necessary. My guess the correlation between the stars, planets, moon, etc. and improved results, are probably due to something local to our planet, or perhaps the sun/moons influence, maybe gravitational, or a change in solar input. I would think that it's likely that the positions and alignments are used as a clock. After all there is a well documented history of that. Or maybe it's something we don't yet understand. Research without the promise of immediate profitability is very difficult to get funding for these days, and there are a good deal of scientists that do not embrace paradigm shifts, especially when they discredit a life times worth of effort on thier part.

On another note did you hear about the signal that was recently picked up?

Last edited:

SUVA

As far as why Libra is an air sign and Pisces water idk. My guess is similar to yours in the thought that the minerals contained in those constellations have an ionic attraction to certain other elements. Now what I did not initially know before getting into biodynamics is that those same signs that designate our birth astrological signs change on a monthly and also daily basis. The daily changes are what these gardening signs are based on. Planetary positions and monthly lunar positions are also included as factors.

What signal?

Aphotic

I meant that I think it's likely a terrestrial phenomena, and not actually the stars themselves, and the constellations positions, are used like a clock, to time when the earthly phenomena is at its peak for any given outcome plant wise. Ancient civilizations used the stars, moon, sun, like a calendar, the position constellations were used as a que to plant, harvest, get ready for winter etc. As far as we know the constellations don't appear to have influence over the planet, not like the sun or moon at least. It's possible that there is something there, but I still think it's timing a local phenomena. The constellations, their elements, they all have a meaning, they signified the rainy season coming, etc. I don't know what they all are tied to, but the zodiac wasn't created just for fun, it had a utilitarian function in our past.

About a year ago a team of Russian scientists picked up a signal from a solar system 94 light years away, the signal was very strong, and was exactly like a signal we would expect from intelligent life. The signal was so strong that it would have come from a type 2 civilization, or maybe a 3. A type 2 civilization would be able to harness all the energy coming from their star, and would most likely require a super structure to be built around that star using Dyson spheres. If the signal was pointed directly at us, that's how much power would be needed to broadcast it. If it weren't a directed signal, and it was broadcast in all directions it would probably be a type 3 civ, I don't remember what that is, but it's way, way, way beyond us.

The Russians kept the signal secret for a year, and just recently told the world about it, SETI was extremely excited about the signal, and said we needed to set up full time monitoring of the signal, and we pointed 2 of the biggest radio telescopes we had at it.

The story was covered by pretty much every major news organization, then the next day they said they were wrong, and that it was a Russian military satellite. So they buried and discredited the story, the Russians have been studying the signal for a year, they would have known it was one of thier own. The fact is that it's against the law in the us to divulge something like that signal, as it's considered a national security threat, NASA, if they find anything are not allowed to tell us.

Anyways, for some reason someone sent us a signal, most likely directed at our planet, and that signal was brodcast over 94 years ago. Pretty cool stuff, to bad our leaders are such assholes and like to keep everything a secret

SUVA

Yeah I think I heard something about those Russians and their secrets..
Anyway biodynamics is basically the practice of studying the influence the rest of the bodies of the universe have on ours. The constellations may have a lesser noticeable difference than the sun and moon, but I personally am convinced the decades of modern day study have proven it true.

Aphotic

Well, I'm sure they wanted to make very sure it was a valid signal before letting the world in on it.

Perhaps you're right, have you heard of superposition? Atoms, and smaller particles are believed to be able to be in more than one place at the same time, to put it simply. could it be possible, that the constituents of all the matter in the universe be nothing more than a latticework of a single particle in superposition? Perhaps Gravity is an artifact of the particles proximity to itself. Anyways, perhaps certain alignments of objects in our universe impose a force we don't yet understand on our planet. Keep in mind that the constellations, are not only comprised of stars, and that even though they appear to exist in close proximity to one another, that is not the case. In fact they really have, in most cases no relation to eachother, it's just looks that way from our point of view, it's our two dimensional view of the cosmos. In fact sime of the points of light we see in the night sky, have in fact burnt out long ago, some stars are so far away, that by the time their light first reaches us, the star has already died. Gravity however doesn't have a speed limit like light does, it's force is felt instantly, at any distance. When we look up at the sun, we are actually viewing the past, we are seeing where the sun was eight minutes ago, the light emitted from our sun takes about eight minutes to reach us, but the Suns gravitational influence shows the Suns actual position.

I sort of went on a tangent there, I was trying to give a reference point, so you could understand where I'm coming from. And the universe is awesome and I like talking and theorizing about it.

Anyways, I'm going to check out those calendars tonight, I can't wait to do some side by side tests of this. The other thing to consider is the power of belief, it could be your belief causing the plants to grow better.

Cheers,
Aphotic

St. Phatty

I venture a guess.

Biodynamic technique was Steiner's method for making Soil Biota (tiny plants and animals) happy.

The horn, the chamomile tea ... people doing 'biodynamic' repeat Steiner's technique.

But I would say, anything you do that feeds the biota, without upsetting the balance, is close enough.

For example, when I have a CO2 mixture that is spent, I pour it on the compost pile. It is basically sugar water, with about 12% alcohol. I can't see the 'biota' in that area, but, judging by the worm castings I remove from there ... somebody's happy !

Aphotic

I venture a guess.

Biodynamic technique was Steiner's method for making Soil Biota (tiny plants and animals) happy.

The horn, the chamomile tea ... people doing 'biodynamic' repeat Steiner's technique.

But I would say, anything you do that feeds the biota, without upsetting the balance, is close enough.

For example, when I have a CO2 mixture that is spent, I pour it on the compost pile. It is basically sugar water, with about 12% alcohol. I can't see the 'biota' in that area, but, judging by the worm castings I remove from there ... somebody's happy !

You could run your spent co2 mix through a still first and extract the alcohol, then add the mix to your pile. You could use the alcohol for drinking, or sterilizing. Just be sure to dump the heads, the first alcohol to come out the still, it's got a lot of methonal in it. Depending on your brew size you can figure out how many mills to dump, it's good to dump the tails too if you're going to drink it. There's good info online, and making a still is easy and cheap. I'm sure your compost pile doesn't appreciate the extra booze in it.