What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biodynamic Gardening Thread

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its nettles trust me i see this stuff at least 3 times a week have used it and have been stung for more than enough time to know. you are going to want to look for the plants that have not flowered yet as they contain the richest nutrients. topping the younger plants actually does them well just like cannabis. the older leaves work but they also create this new chemical that is not good for eating and may cause liver problems ive used a lot, not sure on its effects with plants i doubt it does anything.

BakedBeans

Yes, this is a three year's dead thread but I really liked where it was going before I had to completely drop out.

Now I'm in a position to grow again and I'm about to make up a batch of Pseudo Moonshine mix (didn't have everything available locally) and I want to shore up the difference using herbs.

I'm planning on adding some dried medicinal material as a seed meal:

Comfrey root (really dried!)
Comfrey leaf
Nettle leaf
Horsetail

I am just going to grind it up like a seed meal. I may add some leftover coconut meat from making Coconut milk too.

All of this because they didn't have FoxFarm Light Warrior or Planting Mix, but I'm just using that as an excuse. I subbed some Black Gold and Age Old Organics starter.

OK, back to your current 2010 threads. :)

Glad to be able to post here again.

BB

BakedBeans

Yes, this is a three year's dead thread but I really liked where it was going before I had to completely drop out.

Now I'm in a position to grow again and I'm about to make up a batch of Pseudo Moonshine mix (didn't have everything available locally) and I want to shore up the difference using herbs.

I'm planning on adding some dried medicinal material as a seed meal:

Comfrey root (really dried!)
Comfrey leaf
Nettle leaf
Horsetail

I am just going to grind it up like a seed meal. I may add some leftover coconut meat from making Coconut milk too.

All of this because they didn't have FoxFarm Light Warrior or Planting Mix, but I'm just using that as an excuse. I subbed some Black Gold and Age Old Organics starter.

OK, back to your current 2010 threads. :)

Glad to be able to post here again.

BB

mapinguari

Veteran
i wouldnt call myself a biodynamic grower though. i just use a lot of there principles and methods. some of the stuff they do is fuckin wierd to me. like composting nettles and dandelions in a animals bladder...uhhh im straight on that stuff haha.

But of course animal organs are great for bacteria: rennet for cheese, for example, and supposedly kefir is carried in bags made of bladders or intestines or something. Lotsa LAB in there, I bet.

D_Calloway

To me Biodynamics seems like chiropractors or osteopathy...an old quack idea that has generally followed genuine scientific advances.

Or too look at it another way, basic organic growing practices have adopted the good from biodynamics and discarded the silly stuff...

A manageable 'weed' patch for compost and ferment would be sweeeet...

C

CC_2U

Or too look at it another way, basic organic growing practices have adopted the good from biodynamics and discarded the silly stuff...

That's pretty much my read on it as well. I'm down with the comfrey, chamomile, stinging nettles, the compost techniques, et al. but burying a horn in a field during a full moon?

Not so much............

CC

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really dig the moon planting idea. It is quite easy to follow the basics.

If it works it aint quackery :smoke:

The old ways are the best ways...

2dialed

when i had first heard of buried cow horn manure it was in a libray book from rodale publishing on composting and one of the chapters started with sorta like of foward describing the cow horn manure, and burying it in the soil and had sorta a spritual connotation as if do u belive? so here it is some 30 something years later i realize that they were talking about Stiener and biodynamics. allota characters in that time period, they have the sir albert something from indore india compost method, carey reams who came up with a baseline on brix for some common vegtables using a refractor meter had a method as well. trying to source the cow horns seems difficult unless u live in an area with a slaughter house.

Veggia farmer

BUMP!

Hei, I was wondering if anyone hade experience with the Bio.D. practices? preparations? With cannabis? maria thun sowing calender? etc...

I have some experience with "general" Bio-D. agricultural. COWS, pigs, chickens and crops, grain, grass/pasture and vegetables. But Im not sure how much of the result are of the Bio-D practices or just good work of organic farming. thinking of prep and sowing calender for example.

What I feel Im lacking is people doing side by side or in general experimenting with this "tools"..

Im very interested but since we are farming( we all have a lot to do) i want to know how much do I gain of example doing humus or silica prep.?
After reading of "crazy composer" I see hos much he says he gain from silica, but in other forms. Huge...

The experience I have is from school and also being an employe on Bio-D farms, and are now starting up my own farm. In this situation I wonder how much of these practices Im going to do here...

Sam, you said you grow it Bio-D. What do you put in that? Are you connected to a farm or have one, have cows, doing compost with preparations, humus/silica spray, sowing calender/moon phases? Just some of the questions I have.

And yeah, do you put any of this into your breeding programs??? Im not near you in breeding but I need my own seeds, a lot because of climate, and are thinking alot how Im going to reach MY goals.

Team Microbe

Veteran
BUMP!

Hei, I was wondering if anyone hade experience with the Bio.D. practices? preparations? With cannabis? maria thun sowing calender? etc...

I have some experience with "general" Bio-D. agricultural. COWS, pigs, chickens and crops, grain, grass/pasture and vegetables. But Im not sure how much of the result are of the Bio-D practices or just good work of organic farming. thinking of prep and sowing calender for example.

What I feel Im lacking is people doing side by side or in general experimenting with this "tools"..

Im very interested but since we are farming( we all have a lot to do) i want to know how much do I gain of example doing humus or silica prep.?
After reading of "crazy composer" I see hos much he says he gain from silica, but in other forms. Huge...

The experience I have is from school and also being an employe on Bio-D farms, and are now starting up my own farm. In this situation I wonder how much of these practices Im going to do here...

Sam, you said you grow it Bio-D. What do you put in that? Are you connected to a farm or have one, have cows, doing compost with preparations, humus/silica spray, sowing calender/moon phases? Just some of the questions I have.

And yeah, do you put any of this into your breeding programs??? Im not near you in breeding but I need my own seeds, a lot because of climate, and are thinking alot how Im going to reach MY goals.

Are you on Instagram? If so follow @GreensourceGardens they have a biodynamic farm that's more than impressive :tiphat:

Veggia farmer

Not on Instagram but hooking up a profile now, they really got there thing going! Loooks kinda like i visualise how im planning on growing veggies and herbs for production. Just need to learn to do it efficiently on acres.. never done it before..

Aphotic

I really like my Hugelkultur beds, they are perfect for oregon summers, they retain lots of moisture! Some would argue against them for herbacious plants due to the fungi dominated soil they promote, but I've had great success with them. I like to dump lots of uncomposted manure on the logs when I burry them, so I can use them the first season, or you can skip that and plant a cover crop of nitrogen fixers on them and wait a season or two.

We are planning on berms and Swales down our hillsides out of them as well, and a series of ponds. If you build your berms and Swales properly, you can dramatically slow down the movement of water above and below ground on your property, recharge your wells, and remove the need for irrigating your farm.

Last edited:

SUVA

I have been using biodynamic planting calendars for a few years and have found it very useful in taking cuttings, sowing seeds and harvesting. Check it out for sure!

Veggia farmer

like this hugelkultur, tried to get my wife to build something like this in spring, now shes in hehe.

SUVA have you noticed something "special" with using the calender together with cannabis?

SUVA

like this hugelkultur, tried to get my wife to build something like this in spring, now shes in hehe.

SUVA have you noticed something "special" with using the calender together with cannabis?

Yes, using the calendar to help picking days for taking cuttings, popping seeds, and especially harvest . The calendar has days for fruit, root, leaf, flower plants. Following the flower days I found great success. Have you ever noticed a burst of growth of white hairs toward the end of a flower cycle? This is because the flower day has just passed and it would be better to wait for the next one to harvest. Sometimes gardening has to happen when life allows for it, but being able to plan ahead with the calendar helps keep things moving at a good pace and keeps motivation high.

Latest posts

Latest posts