What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biodynamic Gardening Thread

BakedBeans

http://www.greenchronicle.com/gardening/nettles.htm

Nettles can be annoying in the garden and the gardener’s first reaction is to try to get rid of them. However a patch of nettles is really a very useful thing to have in the corner of the garden.

There are two types of nettle, Urtica urens, the small nettle, which is an annual plant and Urtica dioica, which is a bigger plant and a perennial.

Both of these can be used to make a liquid manure. Gather the nettles in the spring and pack into a bucket or other suitable container. To 2lb of nettles add about 1 gallon of water. Leave for 2 to 3 weeks. Stir occasionally. After the 2 to 3 week period strain the liquid from the nettles (which can now be put on the compost heap). Before using, dilute the nettle fertiliser to the strength of 1 cupful of fertiliser to 10 cups of water.

Freshly cut nettles can be added to the compost heap and make an excellent activator because of their readily available nitrogen content.

Urtica dioica (the perennial nettle) will allow many pest-killing insects to overwinter in the garden and provide food and shelter for them all year round. Ladybirds, hoverflies and lacewings all benefit form a patch of nettles and will then deal with aphids all summer.

Darren

----

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s948346.htm

Stinging Nettle Tonic: This plant is high in nitrogen so it promotes good leafy growth. Roughly chop up 1.5 kgs of stinging nettle and then add 4.5 litres of water. In a week or so this mixture will have started to ferment. The liquid can then be used diluted or undiluted as a foliar spray.

----

http://www.frenchgardening.com/tech.tmpl?SKU=309088884143

I was wondering about this myself. I found a little on it on the net and in reading 'Gardening for Life' by Maria Thun. I've added a small sample below.
From www.frenchgardening.com:

In France, bodies of serious research exist supporting the various benefits of applying nettle tea to your plants. Much as is the case for kelp emulsion, nettle tea seems to stimulate the 'immune system' of plants, making them more resistant to insect and disease attacks. Perhaps this effect is due to no more than the fact that the plant is in a state of optimal and balanced nutrition. (More on the site)
Liquid manures and herbal teas are complementary in BD. Make liquid manures by fermenting an assortment of herb plants jointly with fish or seaweed extracts. Make herbal teas from only one fermented herb plant. Many reasons necessitate using these fermented products. Biological and dynamic processes in the garden include soluble nutrients, aids plant growth and disease prevention, supports earthly and cosmic forces.

Liquid extracts also aid the microbial life in the soil, roots (rhizosphere) and leaves (phyllosphere). Liquid manure and herbal teas aid the phyllosphere as cover crops aid the rhizosphere. Beneficial microbes aid in competing against disease-causing microbes. Biological extract's foliage sprayed may cause an entire plant response called induced resistance.
Uses from Thun: nettles can be used to counteract pests (larval and caterpillar infestation) and to stimulate growth. etc.

-----

bb :joint:

V

vhGhost

oh i can't wait to take some pics of a budies outdoor mothers.. its got nettles all the way around it. at first i didn't recognize it but when he mentioned not to touch them, i reallized really quick what they where.... i'll try and get you guys a shoT !! Great Thread!!

G

Hola,

Great thread guys!

I am 'bio dymanic' gardener and a great fan of Nettle. We use it for all of our plants needs during the vegative growth cycle, have been using it a few years now and would recommend all to experiment with this wonderful natural and free plant food. I find it really does boost the soil and the plants love it.

Remember that the nettles are feeding the soil, boosting the micro herd and you not feeding the plant with them. Just maintaining a happy and healthy soil that provides all necessary for the plant. Ive found I need nothing more than a good base soil, nettles and Comfrey based feeds for our whole grow cycles, so we cultivate both.

Also, all green matter can be made into compost teas, your plants will also enjoy lettuce, cabbage and lots of other green matters turned into liquid composts from the garden during vegative growth. The waste leaves from your Cannabis plants will be enjoyed in a composted tea, recycle them as in nature.

Here is a few shots of a couple of Kush lines we are working with. As you can see these display some really lovely natural colours during vegative growth with wonderful contrasts between the growth tips and older leaves, just as in nature..

Peace, hhf

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good post hothouse

so do you use it as a soil amendment and teas with the nettles? ive found using a strong nettle tea a few times in late flower to always improve the high.

i transplanted some nettles into a pot so i can have my own. there tiny now, an inch tops.

the outdoor ladies look great im sure there lovin the sun and organics

G

so do you use it as a soil amendment and teas with the nettles? ive found using a strong nettle tea a few times in late flower to always improve the high.

I use them only as a composted tea, huge bins full of nettles, spring water and a few weeks to compost them down. I use them very mild from seedlings through to very rich just before flower. I stop using them as the plants go into flowering phase and then feed with Comfrey to adjust the balance of the soil to suit the flowering plants needs, towards the end of the grow i might start to feed nettles again if i want to re veg a selection.

It is very hard to burn a plant with Nettle brews, which makes it a great feed for the novice organic gardener as they wont be able to overfeed the plant, ive fed plants neat composted tea with no real ill effects. So you can see how much in harmony it is with the soil. Perfect soil feed for me. It is also the perfect vegative feed for the Sativagrower, mild enough for not stressing the plants at all and gives them all they need during vegative growth. As does Comfrey and combinations of the two during flower phase. This gives the cleanest burning and sweetest smoking herbs i know. No residuals in the flowers at all.

he outdoor ladies look great im sure there lovin the sun and organics

Thanks, they are powered by pure nature, lol..

3BM

If you plan to cultivate either Comfrey or Urtica dioica take a few things into consideration before you plant. Both of these plants are TOUGH and aggressive. They will expand endlessly and are difficult to completely irradicate. Both can propagate from root cuttings, meaning if you turn them into soil you will end up with thousands of new sprouts. Comfrey in its natural form is dioecious (sp?), if I remember correctly, and will vigorously seed if given the chance. Stick with Russian Comfrey which is a hybrid variety bred for sterility. It wont seed, but will still expand endlessly year after year. Be sure to plant these suckers away from other plants. I found burying a fiberglass boarder 2" deep around their bed would keep them in check, but they will reach past the boarder and root from stems which come in contact with any soil. Both have the capacity to become invasive so cultivate them with care. In the end I had to cut them above the soil then spray the stumps with defoliant to get rid of them. I then moved them to the back 40 and let them go crazy; now I have acres of pasture covered with a tangle of nettle, comfrey, and orchard grass. Nothing else will grow there, even locust trees (which are a real pain around here) cant get a foot hold. Well thats my :2cents: ... if anyone else has had success cultivating these herbs let me know, I'd love to hear more on this subject.

3bm

V

vonforne

Hey 3BM, I had planned on growing them in containers or window boxes. HaHa, I know how bad they propagate. In the area I live in, no winters, I think I would over grow the area in no time. I will order them up this week and get them started. I want to do a lot of side by sides in the upcoming future in my quest for the perfect combination of amended soil and fertilizers that are applied.

V

G

Hey 3BM, I had planned on growing them in containers or window boxes.

High V

You will want huge containers for the comfrey. It sends roots down to 6ft mining P. Amazing plant..Russian Comfrey Blocking 14 is the one to go for if you can.

Peace, hhf

G

Great thread! I'm a bit into biodynamic & organic gardening, not yet in my indoor closet but I'm working on it. Some of those things are just nuts but there are a lot of valuable information considering how soil and and all the little friends in there work.

U. dioica belongs to indicator plants.

Wiki quote: An indicator plant is a usually weedy plant that grows in some specific environment, allowing an assessment of soil and other conditions in a place by simple observation of vegetation.

Pisum and red clover usually have rhizobia root bacters that takes nitrogen from air through the plant that can be used to feed the crop in the next cycle.
Now I have to get some sleep, more stuff tomorrow.

BakedBeans

I was up north this last week visiting a friend's Sheep farm and I managed to run into some Nettles. All I had was my phone so I snapped some blurry photos but they will do.

This is wild nettles, and I was able to touch the leaves without being stung even though it is late in the season. I suspect it is not exactly U. dioica but it is definitely a stinging plant as related by the locals.

Enjoy.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like nettles to me. and actually some people are immune to the sting. i know a friends brother can walk straight through a patch with no problems. he doest the harvesting when he comes haha.

G

Bakedbeans:
The plants you touched may have been dead nettles/Lamium, they look very much like nettles. Nettles have more deeper drawn saw edges and Lamiums may have rounder tooths on edges but that should not be used for identification. They can grow between each other (At least in here they do) so if you weren't paying attention you may have touched one of them.
I think I spot them from your pictures but there are also lots of nettles.

Last edited:

BakedBeans

The locals said to not touch these particular plants or run through them as they "stung". The vegetation was not dense where these were (in a sheep pasture) and the sheep stayed away from them. I saw barbs all up and down the stalks so I figured this variety just didn't have any barbs on the leaves.

I should have snipped a sample but I wasn't in a place to properly take care of them.

BTW, anyone that wants to can order Nettles seeds. Mountain Rose Herbs is my favorite herb distributer and they carry them. You can buy a pound of U. dioica leaves for $10 to use in tea and as foliar spray. They sell Nettle root as well which might be better for horticultural uses, I'm not sure.

bb

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you can find a flowering plant. one plant will give you a few hundred thousands seeds. i snipped about a 4-5 inch flowering branch and now have at least 3000 nettles seeds. root divisions dont last that long and dont transplant well from what i have tried and learned.

Latest posts

Latest posts