What's new

BigTex Outdoor '09 Growshow

BigTex Outdoor '09 Growshow

• Total voters
B

BigTex

yea man its possible they might git photofucked from puttin em out so soon. ive seen it happen before.. it sucks. its best to wait til u got about 18 hours of daylight before takin em outside

There is never 18 hours of light in any day at 32N!

Mr. Pirate-If you are one of those Solmalian pirates I hope you are ok! LMFAO
Seriously I didn't drop the light that's what it stayed on the entire time. Yes that's kinda a messed up photoperiod for indoors but I was trying to match the amount daylength when I thought they'd be going outside in order to prevent early flowering. Today's daylength was 12hrs-55min, a lil off but the days are increasing and I am confident they won't flower.

Chiefmaster-I start early cause I'm growing for size. When you are starting yours in May mine should already be about 2' tall with a well established root system. I am probably much farther south than you so goin outdoors in April isn't necessarily "early".

Well after work yesterday I hauled ass down to the spot and got all the seedlings in the ground and only about half of the 14 clones in the ground. I think the other clones will be okay until I can get back, but this grow show aint about them anyway. This is a new spot and the soil is real good but I think it's gonna be better than I expected, that is as long as root rot doesn't become a problem over the next 30 days or so. The ground is full of earthworms and has an amazingly high amount of worm dirt naturally, as much worm dirt as I've ever seen. I think it's because the ground reatains moisture all year long where as most places get pretty dry. I'm pretty concerned about root rot but I'm trying to achieve a nice balance between too wet or too dry. It'll pay off in July and August if I can just make it through the next 30 days like I said. Anyway the soil is great there.
Just like the weather man said we got a lil over 1.5" last night. I expect it too stay wet and muddy for awhile and we just had a lil freeze a few days ago so I had a pretty small window where I had good conditions for transplanting. I wish they'd have been a lil larger when I put em out, but oh well. I think they'll be alright. We'll see....I still have 14 in the g-room that I'll put out another time just to be safe.
Oh yea some damn ants got in two of the pots in my g-room and chewed the plants off just under the surface, one BB and one White Russian. Suck! Lil bastards! Anyway no roots on one and very lil on the other I am trying to re-root them but I am doubtful I will be able to do so. Seems like no matter what you are always goona loose a few along the way.

B

BigTex

Everything is lookin good. I've done some more transplanting the last couple of days. I have (I think)13 clones and 24 seedlings in the ground to date. I still have 8 lil dutch seedlings to put out but they aren't quite ready. It rained a lil over .5" today and is expected to rain a lil more over the next 12 hours. I really don't need the extra moisture but I think it will be okay. I gave the seedlings a small dose of Root Stimulater yesterday also. It got down to the low 30's a couple of nights and the cold turned almost all the Blueberrys varying shades of purple. Only one other plant in 5 strains is purple. Looks like those BB's just may live up to their name!

B

BigTex

Well here are a few pics I took earlier today...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

There are 31 plants in my fenced in area and I have room for one more. I have pics of all and will download later.

I have lost 5 of my clones to pack rats. Suck! Oh well

Supposed to get some pretty hard rain over the next few days so I fertilized em a little today. Also many are beggining to indicate sex and today I counted:
15-females
8 -males
8 -unidentified

I am tempted to move the males now and probably will do so but I haven't decided for sure yet. I'm hesitant to move them from the safety of my lil fenced in area. I think I'll just think about that one for a lil bit.

I'll try and give more pics and details as soon as I can find the time.

hazy

Veteran
Those seedlings are looking real good Tex. Mighty fine looking location. Man, what I'd give to live in a place like that so I could put em outside.
Doesn't look like you need to water around there.

B

BigTex

It is a good place for me to do my thing Hazy:D It's not hard to grow some BIG plants here. This year is my first time to grow in this particular spot but I can tell it's gonna make some big producers. I wouldn't be surprised to have some get 15' tall and make two lbs.

The soil PH is a perfect 6.5 but the water in the pond is 7.5. Ouch! This can easily be fixed by watering with buckets and adjusting the ph in each bucket, but this year I plan to water with a lil Honda pump.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could adjust the ph and still use my pump? I'm thinkin of trying a lil experiment involving vineger or fert and a hose end feeder. I know I'm not the first person to tackle this problem so somebody throw me a bone. Please.

B

BigTex

PH problem solved:D Hose end feeder with small amount of fert. put my ph to about 6.5 and the amount of fertilizer is small enough I think I can use it every time I water without any ill effects.

Got another .5" of rain yesterday. I haven't had to water yet.

I'm gonna go check on things tomorrow and I'll get some fresh pics. Hopefully the packrats haven't hit me too hard since my last visit. I got some Just One Bite for those lil bastards!

B

BigTex

I got 6.2" of rain yesterday. Yea that's right 6.2" in one day. I checked on em today and all are well to my surprise. They are growing fast and looks like the soil may be better at this spot than I had expected. Some are already 3" tall. Sorry no pics for now but I will get more next time.

B

BigTex

I got 11 inches of rain in 5 days....maybe I would do better growing rice! LOL

B

BigTex

Today's pics....the weeds are just starting to become visible amongst all the other weeds
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

rexamus616

Veteran
holy hell! you can see where the water was running past your plants, man! Maybe you should plant abit higher next time!!

Looking nice and healthy tho man! keep it up!

B

BigTex

holy hell! you can see where the water was running past your plants, man! Maybe you should plant abit higher next time!!

Looking nice and healthy tho man! keep it up!
I really didn't think anyone could/would notice that, but yea it got about 9 inches deep or so and was running. Actually that is on high ground. I got 11 inches of rain in 5 days. 7 inches of it fell in 24 hours:yoinks:. I may lose my smallest plant, a mazar, cause it was under water for too long, but I doubt it.
Hopefully it'll dry up a little soon but there's more rain in my forecast. Those delicate little roots are probably starving for air. They don't really seem to be stunted from it being so wet, but I know they would be growing faster if it weren't:mad:

B

BigTex

Interesting spot.

I'm still trying to find an open plot thats concealed on all sides.

Yea how you like that spot. Middle of nowhere:D Got a nice spring fed pond only bout 20 yards away too. Gotta have a fence to keep the wild hogs out tho

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
I got 11 inches of rain in 5 days....maybe I would do better growing rice! LOL
:laughing: Thats funny!

Whats up cuzin Tex? Man I love the spot! I would kill for something like that. I can't wait to see how the season goes for you... but I'm pretty sure you're gonna grow some monsters out there!

Peace....D

Latest posts

Latest posts