What's new

BigTex Outdoor '09 Growshow

BigTex Outdoor '09 Growshow

• Total voters
B

BigTex

Haven't been at icmag for too long so I thought I'd show yall how I do my thing down in the great state of Texas. It's gonna be about a 7 month ride but this is gonna be worth tuning in for:D So fire one up cause here we go...
picture.php

Go ahead and cross that WHL-SS off the list cause not a one of them beans sprouted:mad:. In additon I will also be workin with 14 clones from this winters indoor grow, and 6 seedlings from seeds produced from that same grow. I planted all the beans in three plantings at different times over the last two weeks here they are...and the lil clones too...
picture.php

Pictured are 14 clones, 6 seedlings from the winter grow, 20 store bought seedlings, and the 9 empty lil cups are the 9 that I planted yesterday. I just planted the 9 remaining store bought beans yeasterday to fill the space I planned on using for the SS that didn't germ.

These are of course inside, under 3-400w MH(13.5hrs.) and will be transplanted to the spot when I decide the time is right, or when conditions permit. They are in a potting soil/sand/peat moss mix at the moment and just got their first feeding from MG Quick Start. Never tried the stuff before but thought what the heck. Growth rates dramatically increased in about 24 hrs. so I guess I'd give it a thumbs up. The Blueberry was real slow to take hold but the Quick Start seems to be working. Well that's about it for now...:joint:

MCsqrd

Are you going to transplant to the native soils or keep in a container? Looking forward to the grow :lurk:

B

BigTex

They are goin in the dirt. I like to start em out in containers and then transplant into the ground at my outdoor plot. I find it hard, no change that impossible, to produce one plant per seed starting them in the ground at my plot. They are very volnerable when they are seedlings and require quite a bit of attention at an early age which I'm unable to give them due to the remote locale of my spot. Starting them indoors allows me to give them an ideal environment and lots of attention. You can also manipulate the photoperiod indoors to force plants to indicate sex shortly after being placed outdoors. This is a very useful way to eliminate unwanted males. I've done this many times before but this year I'm focusing on breeding as much as bud production, so I'm looking forward to a few good males.

On another note I don't use containers outdoors because the limited root area greatly restricts plant size. Over the next few months you will see that unlike some growers I'm all about maximizing plant size. I'm in the south of the US and my summers get HOT! During the extreme heat container plants must be watered every day. That just doesn't fit in with my program.

One advantage to containers outdoors is overcoming very poor soil such as a swamp with too little drainage or a very rocky climate. I am fortunate to be blessed with very good soil which is quite well suited for cannabis cultivation. All I basically will be doing this year to prepare my soil is loosening it up and working in a time-release granule fertilizer called Osmocote, which is a four month release fert.

B

BigTex

Over the last couple of days the nine remaining store bought beans have all come up. Final germination results....all beans popped except for the Super Skunk, none of those popped:mad:. Shame on you White Label! As for the other four strains 100% germinating, I couldn't be more pleased.

Final numbers of plants from "store bought" seeds to date:
11-White Russian
9 -Blueberry
5 -Fem. White Rhyno
4 -Mazar-I-Sharif

I'm sure some will be lost along the way but there's the numbers on those strains to date. I accidently killed one Mazar and fungus got one Blueberry.

I'm still liberally applying the MG Quick Start and am very pleased with it. The older seedlings got their first dose of Root Stimulater at 2 tablespoons/gallon last night. The older seedlings are nearing two weeks old and are old enough and healthy enough for some mild feedings. Soon my feeding program will become pretty aggressive to bulk these lil babies up. I am planning to begin transplanting outdoors in about two weeks so I will be pushing it to get them up to the desired size in that time.
Also I've given a couple of doses of Super Thrive over the last few days.

So far my plants have only recieved rain water so I haven't needed to do any ph adjusting. I recommend rain water if it's available.

B

BigTex

Yesterday started vegetive feeding with MG tomato food. 18-18-21 with good amounts of secondary nuts. I used it last year and like it quite well. Gave 1 cup per plant/1 tablespoon per gallon. I'm also foliar spraying with it twice a day. I'm a lil hesitant to use so much on young seedlings but I think it'll be okay. We'll see!

Anyone following this thread needs to keep in mind I'm just demonstrating how I grow and anyone imitating my methods may have varying results. Please don't hold me responsible if your results vary. I am an experienced grower but I'm not exactly in the bussiness of giving professional advise. That being said I will lend a helping hand where I can and all info I give concerning my grow is actual, factual, real time info. In my opinion it's pretty good info for the begginner guerilla on a budget.

Many ppl will disagree with the nuts I use but this is what I use. It can all be purchased at Lowes hardware stores. So far I've used MG Quick Start, Root Stimulator, Super Thrive, and MG Tomato Food. All from Lowes and all pretty cheap. Remember I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck I'm not saying this stuff is the best there is. I used the tomato food for the first time last year and in conjunction with the Osmocote I had amazing results so I will be trying to mimic last year in that perspective. By the way anything good for tomatos is usually good for cannabis if you didn't already know.

Here's how they look today-
picture.php

Not much growth since I took the previous pic 6 days ago but over the next week I expect em to make a pretty good jump. I'm gonna be cramming the goods to em in the meantime so we'll see:D

hey, i just think that you shouldnt use anything but water on seedlings till there about 30 days, but thats me. if it worked 4 you before youll be good 2 go. you mentioned you like MG??? i am stunned i have had many people tell me never to touch, like it was instant death.. you had good results? did you just use the recommended dose?? i like MG on plants alot.. good luck texas

B

BigTex

hey, i just think that you shouldnt use anything but water on seedlings till there about 30 days, but thats me. if it worked 4 you before youll be good 2 go. you mentioned you like MG??? i am stunned i have had many people tell me never to touch, like it was instant death.. you had good results? did you just use the recommended dose?? i like MG on plants alot.. good luck texas

Yea man I use the stuff. Works just fine for me. Just my opinion but I don't think you need alot of fancy grow store stuff. Keep following my thread to see my results if you wish.

looks good. but i dont think u would be disappointed if u spent a little more money on stuff like soil n ferts. i find fox farm to be one of the best premixed soils u can buy. and if your looking for some serious fertilizers advanced nutrients definately ranks up there with the best they have tons of products. i mean theres just tons of additives out there that are well worth the money. but i cant wait to see how they do outside. should be pretty nice

J

Just a nice guy

looks good. but i dont think u would be disappointed if u spent a little more money on stuff like soil n ferts.
:yeahthats

Couldnt agree more! If your doing good now, imagine what is possible!
Keep rockin Texas though!!!!!

B

BigTex

Thanks for the tip guys. How much do you think one would need to spend on FF products to do a large outdoor grow that was big enough to produce...oh say...15-20lbs. of bud?

well one bag of fox farm happy frog dirt is about 12 gallons maybe a little more and thats 20 bucks but i would recommend buying one bag of fox farms light warrior agroponic for every 4 bags of happy frog and mixing it together because it gives it execellent drainage and it has mychorizzae(sp) and humic acid which is really good for the roots and metabolism, the plants fuckin love it. and one bag of light warrior is also 20 bucks. so id say about 200 bucks on the soil and about 150 on advanced nutrients. (i use iguana juice which has really odd ratios but i find works best when mixing grow and bloom together for the veg phase) but i only mix them because the bloom has more nitrogen than phosphate which is odd for a bloom fertilizer. and oo yea. definately sum additives for growing big fat buds like guano or advanced nutes. (i use big bud from advanced nutes, 0-10-40) but 200 bucks worth of soil would be about 112 gallons of soil which could potentially grow u about 15 pounds. definately something to consider.. that simple investment would pay off big time

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
I love outdoor grow specially when they are posted here in the diaries. Tagged man. You got a great line up.

B

BigTex

well one bag of fox farm happy frog dirt is about 12 gallons maybe a little more and thats 20 bucks but i would recommend buying one bag of fox farms light warrior agroponic for every 4 bags of happy frog and mixing it together because it gives it execellent drainage and it has mychorizzae(sp) and humic acid which is really good for the roots and metabolism, the plants fuckin love it. and one bag of light warrior is also 20 bucks. so id say about 200 bucks on the soil and about 150 on advanced nutrients. (i use iguana juice which has really odd ratios but i find works best when mixing grow and bloom together for the veg phase) but i only mix them because the bloom has more nitrogen than phosphate which is odd for a bloom fertilizer. and oo yea. definately sum additives for growing big fat buds like guano or advanced nutes. (i use big bud from advanced nutes, 0-10-40) but 200 bucks worth of soil would be about 112 gallons of soil which could potentially grow u about 15 pounds. definately something to consider.. that simple investment would pay off big time

Thanks for the info. I've been hearing bout FF products round here for awhile now but never looked into it much. I went to their site and I have to admit some of their stuff looks worth a try. Maybe I'll try a couple of their products. Heck I'll try just about anything once.

As for adding soil I've got pretty good soil anyway and I figured out long ago that digging out holes and adding soil just isn't woth the effort. In many places it would be an advantage to do so but not in my case, in my opinion.

That 0-10-40 bloom formula you say you use seems like a strange ratio to me. What's up with 4x as much K as P???

in my opinion u want more k than p cuz it just gives u better plants, good for metabolism and helps pest resistency and that kinda thing. i give my plants high amounts of n and k right before flowering and high p and k (more k than p) during the flowering period.

B

BigTex

Right now I'm giving em an 18-18-21. I'll throw up a pic i guess....
picture.php

I took the last pic a week ago. I think they've grown nicely in 7 days. How do yall think I'm doin so far? The ones in the larger pots are about three weeks old right now.

B

BigTex

Transported most of em to the spot last night and started transplanting them into the ground today. It's supposed to rain tomorrow night so I hope to get them all in the ground before it does. The crapy thing is I gotta work tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get away around noon. Don't they know I got better things to do? LOL

yea man its possible they might git photofucked from puttin em out so soon. ive seen it happen before.. it sucks. its best to wait til u got about 18 hours of daylight before takin em outside

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
yea man its possible they might git photofucked from puttin em out so soon. ive seen it happen before.. it sucks. its best to wait til u got about 18 hours of daylight before takin em outside

I dont know where u have to live to get 18hrs of light, cally doesnt have it, the south doesnt have it. At no point, i think cally gets at most 16. U sure ur not in another country?