What's new

Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

FatherEarth

Veteran
Thanks for all the kind words folks.

101N approaching her mark...

Notice the trellis and bamboo stakes in effect. The plants were starting to lean as the tops filled in. I had to do something to prevent disaster. I was hoping to go the whole run without staking or netting...

Bless and be Blessed,

FE

Last edited:

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Re: Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

In one of the 400 gallon pots I recycled these pots left from the mothers of the current clones going into this room. There were root mites in one pot and also spring tails. Positive ID made with microscope examination.

View Image

View Image

View Image

Root mites feasting on gnat larvae

[YOUTUBEIF]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wMNdnQZGoqo[/YOUTUBEIF]

After a few trash can runs the pots were filled.

View Image

Man first I wanna say, bitchin setup. Very well done! Coming along very nicely, and sounds like some killer genetics.

Question though, about these root mites. I'm 90% sure I have the same mites in my soil. First noticed them in my mothers and eventually now in my main 4k garden. I have noticed I haven't seen a single FG or larvae in ages. So these little buggers must be who to thank? The term "root mites" does seem a bit concerning, but they must be nothing but beneficial? I've heard varying opinions, and I'm sure there are tons of different species... but yours look identical to mine, except mine may be a little more light orange in color, but that may be just the camera/lighting. I have had some issues this run, but as of right now I attribute that to other causes, which I believe to be a high ph and hot batch of Sunshine Advanced #4. Either way, my post isn't concerning that, more so just wanted more info on these soil mites.

Thanks, and keep up the great work my friend!

Also, I do have a shot of my mites under a scope, but to find the link to my thread via smartphone would be a bitch, I'll edit this post with a pic later this evening.

FatherEarth

Veteran
West Coast D.O.G.

@ 45 days
attachment.php
attachment.php

101@45

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

FatherEarth

Veteran
attachment.php

101 with DOG picture cutting. WCD is such a ham for the camera...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 101_with_dog_making_a_cameo.jpg
    101_with_dog_making_a_cameo.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 15
  • almost_there_101n.jpg
    almost_there_101n.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

S4703W

Wow!! Tons of good stuff in here, i'm very impressed by your ingenuity. That 101 north looks like a champ too. Look forward to seeing more of this.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Man first I wanna say, bitchin setup. Very well done! Coming along very nicely, and sounds like some killer genetics.

Question though, about these root mites. I'm 90% sure I have the same mites in my soil. First noticed them in my mothers and eventually now in my main 4k garden. I have noticed I haven't seen a single FG or larvae in ages. So these little buggers must be who to thank? The term "root mites" does seem a bit concerning, but they must be nothing but beneficial? I've heard varying opinions, and I'm sure there are tons of different species... but yours look identical to mine, except mine may be a little more light orange in color, but that may be just the camera/lighting. I have had some issues this run, but as of right now I attribute that to other causes, which I believe to be a high ph and hot batch of Sunshine Advanced #4. Either way, my post isn't concerning that, more so just wanted more info on these soil mites.

Thanks, and keep up the great work my friend!

Also, I do have a shot of my mites under a scope, but to find the link to my thread via smartphone would be a bitch, I'll edit this post with a pic later this evening.
About the soil mites...

I think the mites in the video are Podocinum sp. A site I found particularly helpful with ID and techniques to help sample soils is http://www.massey.ac.nz/~maminor/mites.html

I have noticed about 3 different types of mites in the soil. The one listed above being the most prominent. hope that answers your question...

FE

B

BlueJayWay

Looking good dood - Whats the story on the strains? cut only strains right? I fucking drive the 101N all the damn time and i've never heard of this strain.

101N
WC Dog
Erll

Background please :D (sorry if it's in the first pages I'll take a gander)

FatherEarth

Veteran
After seeing the 101 run indoors, I think this plant will have a spot in my garden for a long time. Super fast and she stacks up nicely. The smell is wonderful too. Funky musk with sweet undertones her smell rules the garden. Shes a BEAST outside, one of my highest yielding plants last year coming in at a little over 3#'s for the one plant I put out.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Wheres that guy who said ghosts dont exist? Ghost 101 from harvests past right in front...LOL

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 101_almost_done.jpg
    101_almost_done.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 101_finish_line_in_sight.jpg
    101_finish_line_in_sight.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 101_Ghosts_exist.jpg
    101_Ghosts_exist.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 101_good_preformer.jpg
    101_good_preformer.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

FatherEarth

Veteran
Earl White
attachment.php
attachment.php

Low end bottoms D.O.G.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dog_lowers.jpg
    dog_lowers.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 16
  • url.jpg
    url.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 17
  • CannaVenture's Cookie wreck:)
    CannaVenture's Cookie wreck:)
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

FatherEarth

Veteran
So for the record, Giant pots indoors is the ONLY way Ill be doing soil inside. The 65 gallon pots..meh..not so much. 400 gallon + all day! I saw they have a 750gallon 8ft diameter that would fit this room perfect..was thinking cinder blocks sitting up on one end for stepping stones.. This was the easiest soil grow Ive done. The larger pots did better and with less effort and watering. I normally go thru a tank of CO2 a week during flowering and veg. I went through 2 tanks the whole run. The fans cycle less during the night cycle and the co2 levels would almost push 2000 ppm's at times. Overall tighter bud formation and higher yield. Although it is said that plants dont absorb CO2 at night, got me thinking...

FatherEarth

Veteran
Another thing the recycled soil bed did do Better than all the other beds. Had the most soil mites and seemed to breakdown a lot more than the other beds did. the total volume of soil was greatly reduced compared to the other beds...The plants in that bed had more buds, and larger sized. The stalks were greater in diameter and seemed to not need nearly as much water as the other beds. It could hold a lot of water before it would run out the bottom. I cant explain it, just noting what I observed...

FatherEarth

Veteran
Looking good dood - Whats the story on the strains? cut only strains right? I fucking drive the 101N all the damn time and i've never heard of this strain.

101N
WC Dog
Erll

Background please :D (sorry if it's in the first pages I'll take a gander)

No problem. Yea they are all clone only.
The 101 North is Northern Lights x Trainwreck 48 days
I think this one originated in Humboldt but don't quote me on that just yet...
I scoped the trichs @ day 45 and it was mostly cloudy with a chance for amber in the near future.
biggrin.gif
Some heads here half clear and half cloudy, so the 48 day forecast is right on the dot. Ill show some pics under the microscope of day 48 in a bit ...

The West Coast Dog aka The D.O.G. is a known unknown strain. Most of the lineage documentation isnt correct stating that its from the Chem line. The people who know about this strain from the inner circle say it isnt so. That truly its from Bubba K crossed with an unknown Humboldt Indica. Ive also read/ heard Bubba K crossed with SSH. It does resemble bubba by eye, the nose on her is not anything like Bub, chem at all. Sweet fruity smell.. here are some links to past threads about it...

WCD aka The D.O.G

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=166352&highlight=west+coast+dawg

The DOG cut came from Paradise Seed Mod via ORGNKID to forum member ThaDocta then to Shrooomy420 and finally baccas125. If anything The DOG is probably Bubba K x SSH...I've had Chem 4 since it was a seedling(cut my clones off the seed mother of Chem 1 -4) had Chem D delivered to me and am part of the reason Chemdog got his Chem 91 clone back...I know the ChemDog set of clones very well... The DOG clone however..has nothing to do with chem...I'm sure The DOG x C99 is a bad ass cross which brought more taste to The DOG..which has every thing else going for it in spades.

The Errl aka Url or Earl is unknown all together, I named it since the old timer I got it from called her the skank, lol. He knew nothing of her except she was "good pot". I knew this must be true because the plant he showed me was riddled with mites mold and only fed Alaskan fish fertilizer its entire life cycle. The soil was mixed with some super mucky clay he dug up out of his yard,and horse poo. Despite all of this she still had a nice layer of trichromes all over her. I then asked if I could have a cut. I called her Earl because at the time I was a heavy dabb head and she makes some greasy trichromes. When you touch it, its greasy like cooking oil but sticky as tar. Smells of delightful fruit berry mixture. Makes a wonderful oil, and the high is rather stimulating. It can cause anxiety for some folks. I think shes about a 10 week finisher, I havent finished her all the way in the time I have had her. She takes a lot of nutrients to keep happy and makes some large colas when pruned properly. I dont like to top her she gets too many bud sites and spreads herself too thin. Left untopped she will throw a huge main cola with lots of arms all around the main, all need supporting as her buds get quite heavy. Overall a very good yielder and has a lovable bag appeal. Great medicine, some patients I know refuse to use anything else but her or her oils. Im going to try to cross her with a few other things and see what I get. Shes a keeper for sure.

itisme

Veteran
I need to read more of this thread but time is short. I'll be back.

I had to say thanks for posting all the detail and info. IT is greatly apprecitated and DDDDDAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!! That plants look awesome.

B

BlueJayWay

FE - thank you for taking the time! That Earl really is a beauty of a plant.

You don't suppose the 101N ever goes by the name KushWreck do ya? It's leaves are spot on...

FatherEarth

Veteran
Im not sure, dunno where the kush would come from out of the mix but who knows with the way the name game goes anything is possible. Although I had not heard of this strain until the person I got it from told me about it, I dont think this cut gets out much but i could be wrong... The Earl you can check out her almost finished in last years greenhouse in my albums. Freezing weather warnings and her being the only plant in a huge greenhouse I wasnt about to heat for one plant, I had to chop her early. Ive still yet to get some cloudy or amber heads to speak of from her. This plant Im going to try and finish, she will be in the room alone for a couple weeks soaking up all the light she can and with room to breathe could make for an amazing finish :)

B

BlueJayWay

dunno where the kush would come from out of the mix but who knows with the way the name game goes anything is possible. Although I had not heard of this strain until the person I got it from told me about it, I dont think this cut gets out much but i could be wrong...

You're probably right! I've been thinking the kush side is Bubba, not flowered yet but the person that gave it to me said it was a very potent and large producer - and people like to put kush in every name these days....

FatherEarth

Veteran
She will always be remembered . . .

@ Day 48 shes ready

attachment.php

Sitting on a stool used for milking cattle, this is my #3 watering spot in the room. I crouch and walk under the canopy to get here. Looking from the bottom up...

attachment.php

101 Bottoms

attachment.php

Sunset Nuggets

attachment.php

Standing in the same place buds are at eye level...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 101_chop_chop.jpg
    101_chop_chop.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 101_From_my_watering_spot.jpg
    101_From_my_watering_spot.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 101_bottoms.jpg
    101_bottoms.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13
  • Sunset_Nugget.jpg