What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

B

BlueJayWay

I get that same weird growth sometimes, on your leaves, just like it. Usually if it occurs its on some of the first sets of new growth from cuttings. They grow out of it and life goes on - I assumed it might be the fulpower I use extensively....but I also use Protekt, each and every watering as well, ~5ml/gal

Very occasionally it shows up on leaves in larger vegged plants or in flower....

FatherEarth

Veteran
I get that same weird growth sometimes, on your leaves, just like it. Usually if it occurs its on some of the first sets of new growth from cuttings. They grow out of it and life goes on - I assumed it might be the fulpower I use extensively....but I also use Protekt, each and every watering as well, ~5ml/gal

Very occasionally it shows up on leaves in larger vegged plants or in flower....

Kinda supports my theory that its the protekt, this is the first run Ive used Ful-Power...

intotheunknown

Veteran
Outside.

so right at the window I see in the pics is where its coming in and going out? or is the exhaust routed somewhere else?

im just curious, because im considering dumping all my heat outside too, but in these cold winter months Im sure itll stick out like a sore thumb.

Im also curious as to how you disguise that window from the outside? or do you even need to?

really, killer setup... and the plants are looking fantastic! :tiphat:

O

OrganicOzarks

These soil beds are so retarded. I love it. You definitely have skills. I will be interested to see how the beds produce for you vs. single pots. Obviously they will get better with time. That sure is a lot of work for an experiment. Gotta love it.

O

Old_Headbanger

FatherEarth

RE: BioAg Ful-Power

How much & how often?

CC

Cootz'

What would be a good rate to give to plants? 20-30ml/gal ful power, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon/gal protekt each watering too much? I haven't gone heavier than that and have seen the same thing happening to leaves early in veg on some plants. As BJW said, they just grow out of it.

Garden looks absolutely killer FatherEarth

\m/ohb

FatherEarth

Veteran
Cootz, Yea Bio Ag. I use no more than the bottle recommends per gallon max 30ml and only maybe 3 times the entire cycle. I use it mostly when they are small and in cloning via your cloning mixture. I used it once when watering them in week 2 of flower at 1/2 strength. I only got a small bottle to try out so I didnt have enough to add to 75 gal+ of water each time...

FatherEarth

Veteran
Cootz'

What would be a good rate to give to plants? 20-30ml/gal ful power, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon/gal protekt each watering too much? I haven't gone heavier than that and have seen the same thing happening to leaves early in veg on some plants. As BJW said, they just grow out of it.

Garden looks absolutely killer FatherEarth

\m/ohb

Thanks.

Ive got a flowering top or two with the melted leaves. Mine seem to translocate to new growth for a few sets of leaves then it stops. Provided I have quit feeding silicates.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Both of you are in the uber safe zone on using their Fulvic acid. True hi-dosing can result in plants that look like something out of Jurassic Park according to BioAg themselves.

Scratch that one off your list as a potential cause. I use this with almost every watering at their suggested application rate. No issues whatsoever on this end. I also soak garden seeds in water with Fulvic acid and aloe vera and both for rooting cuttings - again at their suggested rates.

Beautiful garden & plants. Hopefully you can nail down the cause of the problems you're having.

CC

FatherEarth

Veteran
Outside.

so right at the window I see in the pics is where its coming in and going out? or is the exhaust routed somewhere else?

im just curious, because im considering dumping all my heat outside too, but in these cold winter months Im sure itll stick out like a sore thumb.

Im also curious as to how you disguise that window from the outside? or do you even need to?

really, killer setup... and the plants are looking fantastic! :tiphat:

The setup kinda morphed from the original pics as time went on. The vacuum pullin the room was so strong it was ripping my hepa intake filter off so I had to change it up. Not to mention condensation on the intake wall required insulation and covering. The side with the black plastic and hella metal tape is the intake side. The side with particle board with the 8" fan that later has an 8" black ducting attached is the out flow. I just blow mine outside.No carbon filters or smell removal. I used 12"-10"-8" inch reducers on the intake so not to slow airflow also had to add a few adjustable elbows with the insides painted flat black to keep the sunlight from reflecting into the grow during night cycles. I have built giant retarded looking rain/ light blocking covers over the outside of the windows. I am an OMMP and am in 100% compliance with the law so I dont really need to hide my window exhaust system. No neighbors close either so its not an issue. Helicopters get a smile and a wave around here :p

FatherEarth

Veteran
Oh and for the record I realized that my calendar dates are 7 days ahead of the actual date. So they arent as old as I have recorded, lol

intotheunknown

Veteran
I am also in 100% compliance with "laws" out in colorado. still stuck in my "no smell, no sell, no tell" mentality. unfortunately I do have neighbors awfully close, the air is scrubbed and no stink gets out whatsoever. so really all id have to worry about is the steam.

you in a cold area? if so how big of a steam cloud arises from the duct?

FatherEarth

Veteran
I dont have any steam issues although it does get kinda cold, nothing like what youve got going on. If I did have steam and was concerned about it I would prolly dump all my air in the attic. If it gets moist up there add a dehuey and call it good. Warm air when its cold outside could save you on your heating bill for the rest of the house. It took me a min to get used to being relaxed about it but its easy now. My greatest concern are thieves. I only get uptight around harvest outdoors. If they do happen to try me its going to be a tough one to do without letting a lot of people know. If a person really wants something and is determined most times they will get what they are after. After a bunch of work and sweat that is, LOL...

FatherEarth

Veteran
Some mung bean enzyme tea brewing per CC's recipe
I used this right before the plants were put into the large beds I used alfalfa sprouts and the week before flower I used mung sprouts.
I tried making a similar tea using 1/4c chia seeds and it didnt turn out too well and smelled horrible had to toss it...the chia seeds didnt sprout btw..
Although I have a hunch the gelatinous material they make when soaked would make a great surfactant..
attachment.php

attachment.php

Clackamas Cootz

Try this:

1/4 cup Barley seeds (not pearled barley from Safeway)

Sprout like you would any seed like Alfalfa, Mung beans, etc.

Once they're sprouted (about 2 days) add to 1 gallon of water and let that sit for 3 or 4 days and it will turn cloudy. Strain and mix 2 cups of this 'tea' to 14 cups of water = 1 gallon.

Spray your plants from top to bottom and hit the soil.

Let me know what you think. This works equally well using alfalfa, wheat, oat, etc. seeds.

Attachments

• mung tea.jpg
    mung tea.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 18
  • chia tea.jpg
    chia tea.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 15

FatherEarth

Veteran
Intake and exhaust pics. The first two pics are showing the multiple inlets.

The large square one has two 3M furnace/AC filters stacked on top of each other. Behind that is the AC unit that Im not using. I put the filters in place because so much air flows through the unit, I wanted to filter it. I live in a rainforest and mushroom and molds are King around here... The second intake pic is a 6" ducting with a screened inlet and cover, like the ones for your dryer. I put a hepa filter in it and sealed it with waterproof metal tape and insulated the cover so it wouldnt sweat in the room. Ghetto tape work and black plastic, last minute stuff.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 18
  • intake2.jpg
    intake2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 17
  • air out.jpg
    air out.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 19

FatherEarth

Veteran
picture.php

Light burn is bleaching some areas. Cant raise the lights any higher and not much room to tie tops over..no worries.. I can make my own hangers with some fencing wire get about 4 more inches..

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tagged

tagged

This is great! You weren't kidding when you said big soil.

:tiphat:

somoz

Veteran
First off respect for taking the time to show your method, it really helps people in the long run and that is important. I had two questions for you FE. I was wondering if you could discuss your brewer a little more, it looks like there's heat wands in there? At first I thought you had a PVC setup like rootwise where you had the long PVC pipe drilled with tiny holes and that would be inserted in your catch bag.

But after looking a little harder I don't think that's what's going on here, so if you have time would love to hear more. Also are you using RO in your tea or the well water? And lastly was curious if you have ratios on your initial soil mix, I have a pretty good base recipe idea for what I'm going to do but we are using a similar amount of medium. I was going to mix up 800 gallons. Last one, do you prefer thermx 70 over JH Natural wet or was it just a matter of what was around?

All info is appreciated, blessings and respect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts