What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

FatherEarth

Veteran
Glue wet from foliar
picture.php
picture.php

FatherEarth

Veteran
her terpenes are coming through like Ive never smelled before. The berry is now distinguishable and positively blueberry. Reminds me of blueberry waffles and syrup with earthy hashiness. Which supports the notion that it may be shishkaberry as it is a blueberry cross.. Im waiting to hear what Chimera says about it since he is supposed to be the leading authority on the Kish and has used it extensively in breeding...

FatherEarth

Veteran
The glue so far is smelling like a diesel cross to me.. a special tasty one that makes me want to rub her buds for more smell.. Not really impressed yet except the size of the plant and colas with a shitload of vigor. I wont count it out just yet looks like its going to be a spectacular finally.. 5 weeks to go anything can happen...

FatherEarth

Veteran
Water Anomalies & Plant Health

Interesting Blog post by John Kempf coincides with whats happening in my garden as well. Im watering almost everyday. Ive thought a few times maybe its my soil or something with using RO water. . Im not sure but Im experiencing something similar. Bad part is he offers no answers or even a hypothesis...

http://growbetterfood.com/john-kemp...much-20-30-percent-more/#sthash.ZOaQbK8K.dpuf

Have you observed any interesting anomalies with water use and water penetration the last few years?

We have been observing some interesting changes in water movement in soil, on a very widespread scale, with many different soil types, and with different management systems. At this point, we have not been able to determine any commonalities based on the soil profiles.

Water is behaving very differently in soils and plants than it did eight to ten years ago.

A decade ago, if we got one inch of rainfall, crops would have adequate moisture for up to three weeks, depending on soil type, stage of growth, crop, and local climate, of course. In the last few years, particularly the last three, if there is no rainfall for a week, crops begin expressing drought stress symptoms.

While there may be problems with less vigorous root systems in some cases, this does not appear to always be the case.

Soils are drying out extraordinarily rapidly after a rainfall. It is often possible to be in the fields cultivating in about twenty to twenty-five percent of the time window required to properly dry in the past.

An example - This spring, a farmer we work with in Iowa was cultivating a corn field with a belly mounted cultivator when he drove into a saturated spot. The front wheels of the tractor dropped immediately. He backed out, and returned to look at it two days later. In those two days, the soil went from being saturated to hard and dry, the cultivator broke it up into hard chunks. Even five years ago, what happened in two days, would have taken at least eight to ten days of drying weather.

At the same time, crops seem to be absorbing water much less efficiently than they should. Or possibly, water is no longer “quenching the thirst.” More water is required to maintain plant health, growth, and vigor, as much as 20-30 percent more. This seems to be less true of irrigation water atfirst. It seems there may be a downward spiral, which, once it begins, irrigation water becomes much less efficient as well.

At this point, these observations raise more questions than we have answers for. These are important questions though, questions we need to find answers for, or our fresh water demands for food production may increase to even greater levels than they are today.

FatherEarth

Veteran
same issues last year outdoors watering 1500 gallons every 2 or three days for 12 plants with 2 yards of soil per plant...they loved it but seemed excessive for the northern oregon coastal range. No problems heavy harvest.

milkyjoe

Veteran
What is the environment in the room...temp/humidity.

My feeling outdoors is that farmers have mined the humus out of the soil and stolen its water holding capacity. Your soil should not have that prob.

What was that ec btw?

FatherEarth

Veteran
85- 87temp daytime
62-68 sometimes up to 72 during the night

my fresh air intake is running probably 75 percent of the time during the day cycle

65 RH

FatherEarth

Veteran
went to take EC reading and couldnt get one because it was too dry got sidetracked with hand watering for the next hour + and forgot to take a reading..

milkyjoe

Veteran
I would suspect...but don't know for a fact...your ec is lowish. Thankfully you have a decent battery and a pretty aggresive foliar program. It sounds like your plants are working hard to take up enough nutes.

Check it out and if that is true thank the person that talked you into a big ol battery

FatherEarth

Veteran
wouldnt a low ec mean I dont have enough battery? Or that Im just too dry and the battery cant work is what Im thinking...every watering I get explosive growth spurts...

milkyjoe

Veteran
Like I said I don't know for sure. You got a lot of soil per lb but it kicks in when you water only. My high ec bed held that ec...only needed water every 5-6 days. Check it lets see what's what

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya'll are raising EC by adding batteries to the soil? Ima go try that right now, I was just about to water too.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Make sure only to use 9volts with the ends touching. Last few weeks I flush with 2 D batteries per plant. . . makes em yellow hella fast that way..

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aww shit, I figured go big or go home and used car bats. I'll go switch it out.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Hot damn! Looking great in here! That Glue is really towering over everything else! Im learning first hand the vigor of the Glue.....just finished stretch at about day 18 or 19! Twas afraid it was never going to stop :biggrin:

bobblehead

Veteran
Interesting Blog post by John Kempf coincides with whats happening in my garden as well. Im watering almost everyday. Ive thought a few times maybe its my soil or something with using RO water. . Im not sure but Im experiencing something similar. Bad part is he offers no answers or even a hypothesis...

http://growbetterfood.com/john-kemp...much-20-30-percent-more/#sthash.ZOaQbK8K.dpuf

I think there's a correlation with the increase in ambient CO2. The chemistry of the atmosphere has changed.