What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

FatherEarth

Veteran
MJ right on the money again...

MJ right on the money again...

So I finally got around to testing the EC.. 24 hours + since I soaked them last.. First I tested the gg4 bed it came in at .04 -.01... most of the beds were in the .17- .25 range so I watered heavily as usual... tested again average was about .3 had two beds sitting at .45.. the beds I used a different type of gypsum and they also got some of the higher amounts as well. The gypsum used was ultra fine powder instead of semi course powder with little grains.. SoI changed the head on my watering wand to a pressure intense shower and basically injected it into the soil. Normally I get quite a bit of run off.. this time I got a gang of flow through. I vac'd up 64 gallons off the floor and only watered 4 of 12 beds.. Now I got some EC.. .54, .56, .71, .52...
so then I added about a cup of gypsum to each bed and Im guessing this was the issue because they all took the water much differently. Instead of pooling and rolling to where it was easiest to flow through the flooded evenly and it went straight into the soil instead of rolling... so much it made the perlite float up and gave the surface an fresh even layer... Im guessing I should see some ridiculous growth from this watering... Guess they havent been getting enough water the entire time... probably why Im unimpressed with the glue so far... now Im thinking good lord what the garden could turn into with enough water....

milkyjoe

Veteran
Just be careful...to much ca will fuck you up beyond repair. Balanced nutrtion is what counts.

Plus if the sap ph is low carbonate is a better choice. Or if you wanna make something happen quick micronized is the way to go...sea shield or a combo of pht ca and p

FatherEarth

Veteran
Well I undershot the gypsum total figures when I added just as a precaution. So I'd think it'd be ok to add another cup per bed especially when the gypsum I used previous was a more course variety and obviously by the difference in the beds has a longer window for absorption. Please believe I have certainly taken heed to every cautionary statement you have given. Thus the reason I only did 4 beds and not the whole garden. Also when I foliar I do a quick light spray and that's it. I found early on a dripping foliar burns quickly. I'm thinking of getting some tissue samples done as well as more soil tests per your recommendation . I won't be adding anymore Ca probably eliminate it from foliar as well. Looks like a lot of vacuuming water in my future... Already have a watering solution and a new bed design for the next run.. Should be fun :dance013:

milkyjoe

Veteran
That sap pH means your plants are susceptible to fungal disease. You definitely need some more cations in the plant. You could do another foliar a week leaving out anything with N, Cl and limiting sulfate and phosphate...so pht-ca or albion ca and photomag basically...you had too much K right, so not that...which is too bad cause K silicate would have been good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_ZlLLBrDk

FatherEarth

Veteran
How about just keeping the soil properly moist? I think what they need is in the soil but if its too dry, obviously it cant be utilized. So a quick fix to address the issue Albion Ca and photomag only? In the same amounts from the recipe?

FatherEarth

Veteran
I noticed some bud swelling and a thicker layer of trichomes for the heavy watering. The soil isnt dried out yet either...nice to just be able to look and not have to do anything to them for once...
My weekly foliar is due in two days... PM and Ca now or wait? Or just bump up date to now..?

milkyjoe

Veteran
I would do them now...less more often is better.

My next order is gonna be enough keystone bio ag for 2 tables and a soil test. It is short on k and n but a little kno3 and bam.

But yea that is on my to do list

Once you get that soil up to 0.7 or so that room will be easy peasy

FatherEarth

Veteran
normally starts off at .7-8 but this batch had sit a year outside before i used it... if I add enough water ... got one bed so far above 7..

FatherEarth

Veteran
On the subject of watering.. Ill repost this from earlier in this thread .. This is still how Im doing things.. with or without a drip system... right now without..

“Tom Hill
As a rule of thumb I calculate a water volume of around 10% of soil volume per "maintenance" (normal) watering. Occasionally I'll do a light watering (5%) or a more thorough soaking (15%) but 10% is the "normal" watering once we are in maintenance mode.

So that would be 1/2 gallon water for a 5 gallon container. These 6 foot containers are up around 50 cubic feet or something over 300 gallons. This requires about 30 gallons per cycle.”
To calculate how many gpm Im getting I use a stop watch and a 5 gal bucket and time how long it takes to fill. As Im watering each pot I use the stopwatch and keep track of the time so I know how many gallons Ive put in. Also making sure Im spreading the water out evenly over the dirt surface and using paced even strokes until its covered evenly, then repeat until the timer goes off.

Pangea

Veteran
How are the caster beds working out for you? Are they easy enough to move around? I'm looking at a hand pallet jack instead of using and installing many casters.

leadsled

Did you get the sap ph up?

Do you automate the feeds with straight h20 and then apply the AEA products via hand watering or via the shurflo pump and wand?

Curious since it seems like all the AEA products are meant to be in the res for a very short time.

I ran into the same issue with gorilla glue, she sucks it up like no tomorrow!!

Your thread is super Kick ASS!! Thanks for sharing. Hope everything is going well.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:bump:
great thread, actually worth reading front to back
thanks for sharing FE
why the abrupt end tho?

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
holy shit this thread is epic! how have I never seen this?!

starting with page one see y'all in a couple days!

FE :respect:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
awesome thread to read for sure. Father Earth i was wondering i seen somewhere on here that u spoke about insect frass. i was just wondering if u ever used it and if so was the results good?