What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biden: Let's Fix It

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

BRIEFING ROOM
Statement from President Biden on Marijuana Reform
OCTOBER 06, 2022
STATEMENTS AND RELEASES
As I often said during my campaign for President, no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana. Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit. Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while white and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.

Today, I am announcing three steps that I am taking to end this failed approach.

First, I am announcing a pardon of all prior Federal offenses of simple possession of marijuana. I have directed the Attorney General to develop an administrative process for the issuance of certificates of pardon to eligible individuals. There are thousands of people who have prior Federal convictions for marijuana possession, who may be denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities as a result. My action will help relieve the collateral consequences arising from these convictions.

Second, I am urging all Governors to do the same with regard to state offenses. Just as no one should be in a Federal prison solely due to the possession of marijuana, no one should be in a local jail or state prison for that reason, either.

Third, I am asking the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Attorney General to initiate the administrative process to review expeditiously how marijuana is scheduled under federal law. Federal law currently classifies marijuana in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, the classification meant for the most dangerous substances. This is the same schedule as for heroin and LSD, and even higher than the classification of fentanyl and methamphetamine – the drugs that are driving our overdose epidemic.

Finally, even as federal and state regulation of marijuana changes, important limitations on trafficking, marketing, and under-age sales should stay in place.

Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana. It’s time that we right these wrongs.

Dr.Funke

About time someone is doing something. They can't stop us from growing and smoking our own weed even if we have to hide. Maybe the day is coming when we all can quit hiding. 😎
It’s a freaking great step. The next one should be not allowing employers to test for it unless under suspicion of use on the job. So many jobs in my career field I’m ineligible for just cuz I smoke. I’ve also seen it really ruin ppls lives losing their jobs or being dishonorably discharged for toking. Not trying take away from this good news! I just wish it was more!

Nannymouse

I hope that this sends a message to the states that are voting on Cannabis in few weeks. Also, to the leo in states that are not yet civilized on the matter. AND, if the feds could get something decent passed, that would help many matters of concern.

I'm still waiting for the world to change, ha. Hoping to see MORE fantastic changes, before i die. Never thought that we'd have gotten this far, in my lifetime.

Cannot help thinking that the govt putting some backing into Cannabis programs could be a far faster way to sequester carbon, than waiting on most trees to grow. Certainly seems that it'd work in this area, better than trees.

asher1er

Veteran
"simple marijuana possession" as a federal charge seems to barely exist.. figured it will only help 6k or so people outta the prolly almost 200k locked up... If you did fed time for marijuana im willing to bet you got hit with a trafficking charge/manufacturing charge.... They can do so much better this is just to say we did something.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Money is what is driving the .guv laws. They are broke and stealing from those they ensnare is a major source of their revenue. Letting potheads out of prison, expunging felonies… helps increase the labor pool without the cost of bringing them in from Central America.

But they will tax the crap outta dope, and resist us growing as hard as they can.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Until I can buy cannabis seeds off the rack like tomatoes, grow as much as I want and sell my product at the local farmer's market and put the money in the bank this means nothing.
The desperation before the November elections is palpable.
From the same turkey who wanted to deny weed smokers their second amendment rights two months ago.

Old Piney

"simple marijuana possession" as a federal charge seems to barely exist.. figured it will only help 6k or so people outta the prolly almost 200k locked up... If you did fed time for marijuana im willing to bet you got hit with a trafficking charge/manufacturing charge.... They can do so much better this is just to say we did something.
I thought the same thing how many can there be? Busted with a joint in a national park maybe .I believe that there shouldn't be any federal drug laws it should all be left up to the states and the voters .It's all about the midterms and votes for his party and that's all .Joe doesn't care , to hell in a handbasket we go

Ready4

Veteran
Until I can buy cannabis seeds off the rack like tomatoes, grow as much as I want and sell my product at the local farmer's market and put the money in the bank this means nothing.
The desperation before the November elections is palpable.
From the same turkey who wanted to deny weed smokers their second amendment rights two months ago.
You are all a victim of fraud by GOP criminals - the story of President Biden "denying weed smokers their 2nd amendment rights" is 100% bullshit paid spam lies, zero truth to the story. What you believe is no more truthful than Santa Claus existing. Not a single one of you paid spam fraud victims can provide any proof of that "Biden taking 2nd amendment rights away" fiction.
All of you should be furious at the GOP for tolerating their paid spam criminals who feed you these lies.
Watch while your "heroes" , like Tom Cotton (R) yesterday, will try to stop marijuana from being reclassified with typical bs "crime will increase !" nonsense. Quit being such children and hold the liars who have fooled you accountable for their 24/7 lies.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It may not be everything... but sitting here in the UK where weed is still illegal, it sure as hell sounds like a big step in the right direction to me !
CanCard is our friend VG,,,,
decriminalised for possession and cultivation of one’s own meds,,,,,
legally a medicinal cannabis prescription holder,,,,,
very active on FB if you get a min or Google it,,,,
Started by Carly Barton ,,,,s2

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I've been a medical marijuana patient for 3 years. Is Biden really going to get marijuana rescheduled? I think he's all talk. Said he'd have the AG "look into it." Better get it done fast. Come on everybody! 👍
I smoke 1/2 gram kief per day. Was playing with bubblehash but it got too expensive. Costs me $10/day for the kief. Not bad seeing I get high like 8 times.
Biden man. He needs people pressuring him every day on marijuana. Might forget. The Republicans will NEVER decriminalize or legalize marijuana. Racism can be invigorating in the moment but I just can't vote for Trump or Desantis or any of those weirdos.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I bet you the Republicans will come up with a compromise much like Lincoln and the 16th Amendment...he outlawed slavery but made legal jail slavery where they could make you work.
Watch them say they'll legalize marijuana but discontinue social security or Medicare. They're gonna do something like that, you watch!!! 10 years from now!!! Doober said it!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CanCard is our friend VG,,,,
decriminalised for possession and cultivation of one’s own meds,,,,,
legally a medicinal cannabis prescription holder,,,,,
very active on FB if you get a min or Google it,,,,
Started by Carly Barton ,,,,s2
I have looked at that, great initiative... but not sure it makes it 'officially' legal in the eyes of the law.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I've been a medical marijuana patient for 3 years. Is Biden really going to get marijuana rescheduled? I think he's all talk. Said he'd have the AG "look into it." Better get it done fast. Come on everybody! 👍
I smoke 1/2 gram kief per day. Was playing with bubblehash but it got too expensive. Costs me $10/day for the kief. Not bad seeing I get high like 8 times.
Biden man. He needs people pressuring him every day on marijuana. Might forget. The Republicans will NEVER decriminalize or legalize marijuana. Racism can be invigorating in the moment but I just can't vote for Trump or Desantis or any of those weirdos.
Place one of each, in a bag, shake and bake (oops wrong story). Pull one out what ya got. A lying, cheating, conniving fucking politician! Period full stop.

Time for another toke, rocking some local hash, pretty good shit. From the Cape, wonder how production got affected with Fiona.
:smoker:

RobFromTX

Racism is using minorities for votes and then pushing them as far into the background as possible. Gentrifying their neighborhoods, closing their mom and pop stores, trying to shutter their parks and gatherings because of "toxic masculinity"(Chicano Park,Austin, TX), filling their neighborhoods with hipsters, trustfunders and every other kind of liberal elistist that can afford a condo. Dont get me wrong theres lots to dislike about the current GOP and even more to hate about Trump but dont act like democrats dont engage in widespread racism. Its just hidden better under the bumper stickers on their Subarus

Last edited:

Dr.Funke

Racism is using minorities for votes and then pushing them as far into the background as possible. Gentrifying their neighborhoods, closing their mom and pop stores, trying to shutter their parks and gatherings because of "toxic masculinity"(Chicano Park,Austin, TX), filling their neighborhoods with hipsters, trustfunders and every other kind of liberal elistist that can afford a condo. Dont get me wrong theres lots to hate about the current GOP and even more to hate about Trump but dont act like democrats dont engage in widespread racism. Its just hidden better under the bumper stickers on their Subarus
Not just a racial problem. I grew up in the city, in a largely working class neighborhood. However that has all but changed. It's now nothing but rich yuppies gentrifying the entire place. Bringing their horrible politics along with them. The people that keep the town running are the same ones that can't afford to live in them! It's why you see so much Urban decay now a days in the city I'm from. Most people are moving to the neighboring town or out of state. One of the biggest reasons I have moved further and further out of town. Now I'm an hour and a half away lmao

Latest posts

Latest posts