What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

OG_TGR

Hey everyone. I remember reading about the column locking/freezing up and applying heat but can't find that particular post off hand.
I've got some trim that is a little finer than I'd like and it seems to be locking up the column, even when applying heat. I've had to recover and open it up twice now, and still can't get it to push through.
I'm using a heating pad strapped to the column.
Is there anything in particular I can do to make it easier to run this finer trim?

So, how many cans is this supposed to actually hold (#1)?

I'm going back through the thread now and early on they are saying 10-12??? The directions say 7 I believe, and the video says 5-6 (and has a completely different recovery tank). Overall I am happy with this but I feel like I am sort of averaging all the information, instead of having a definitive list of what exactly needs to be done for my specific system.
It's slightly disappointing that BHOgart doesn't ship with instructions specific to the unit packaged but, luckily it seems pretty straightforward, anyway.
One instance of recycled/old information is the directions that say to invert the tank and set down/in ice. I can see that for the tank in the videos but this one has a handle, two valves and safety valve on the top, all of which would be subjected to unnecessary pressure/external forces. I'm pretty sure valves shouldn't be used as support legs.
I'd hate to see someone try and follow the directions step by step and break a valve off of a recovery tank full of butane.

Also, the shower-recover-shower and continuous directions are basically identical, I assume the shower method just means sitting in dump for the extended time, until recovering?

Last edited:

OG_TGR

Everyone likes pics, eh? ;)

Pour_zps720817e5.jpg

-10hg. Pulled a LOT of tane off this one, I think I might have had too much in there, anyway.
This was the first pull after a fresh charge of 6 cans. I had to add another can after this one to get it going again.
Then I pulled this off:
Splt_zps1b6ec26f.jpg

It looks a little dark but that's ok with me right now. I think this will turn out nice after a good vacuum purge.

Got a nice pressure cooker from a thrift store, got all my hardware, just looking to make a lid. It's 9"⌀ so, judging by the formula that GW posted on his website, I think 1" thickness should be sufficient.

That reminds me, I hear people saying about running multiple spools in a row. Could I just run another on top of this, and keep going? That would make life much easier, than cleaning out the collection chamber, every time.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everyone likes pics, eh? ;)

View Image
-10hg. Pulled a LOT of tane off this one, I think I might have had too much in there, anyway.
This was the first pull after a fresh charge of 6 cans. I had to add another can after this one to get it going again.
Then I pulled this off:
View Image

It looks a little dark but that's ok with me right now. I think this will turn out nice after a good vacuum purge.

Got a nice pressure cooker from a thrift store, got all my hardware, just looking to make a lid. It's 9"⌀ so, judging by the formula that GW posted on his website, I think 1" thickness should be sufficient.

That reminds me, I hear people saying about running multiple spools in a row. Could I just run another on top of this, and keep going? That would make life much easier, than cleaning out the collection chamber, every time.

You can run multiple columns. Easier if your system is set up to vacuum and recover the columns separately from the pot, but if you run the cycle to -22" before changing the column, you can pull the whole system down again with the high vacuum pump after switching columns.

It does get slower to recover, as the oil content and viscosity rises, and you are limited to how much cotton candy your chamber will hold inflated, when running cold.

OG_TGR

You can run multiple columns. Easier if your system is set up to vacuum and recover the columns separately from the pot, but if you run the cycle to -22" before changing the column, you can pull the whole system down again with the high vacuum pump after switching columns.

It does get slower to recover, as the oil content and viscosity rises, and you are limited to how much cotton candy your chamber will hold inflated, when running cold.

Makes complete sense.
I pictured a valve on the reducer, to load on pot already under vacuum?
I did just that. Pulled down to 22, reloaded, and pulled vacuum with vacuum pump.
I've yet to see it have that cotton candy consistency as I've seen in your photos. What causes it to be that fluffy?
So far mine has always looked like one or the other of the pics I just posted.
I'm not complaining about that, I'd just like to know. :biggrin:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Makes complete sense.
I pictured a valve on the reducer, to load on pot already under vacuum?
I did just that. Pulled down to 22, reloaded, and pulled vacuum with vacuum pump.
I've yet to see it have that cotton candy consistency as I've seen in your photos. What causes it to be that fluffy?
So far mine has always looked like one or the other of the pics I just posted.
I'm not complaining about that, I'd just like to know. :biggrin:

Prime material. Dense and viscous.

No heat on the pot during extraction and recovery except for an occasional dip into luke warm water to remove the ice and see where it reforms.

Finish and hold under hard vacuum until it solidifies as a hard dry foam.

Look at closeup of crystals.

Attachments

• 85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Cotton candy shatter-1-1.jpg
    Cotton candy shatter-1-1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 15

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Hey everyone. I remember reading about the column locking/freezing up and applying heat but can't find that particular post off hand.
I've got some trim that is a little finer than I'd like and it seems to be locking up the column, even when applying heat. I've had to recover and open it up twice now, and still can't get it to push through.
I'm using a heating pad strapped to the column.
Is there anything in particular I can do to make it easier to run this finer trim?

So, how many cans is this supposed to actually hold (#1)?

I'm going back through the thread now and early on they are saying 10-12??? The directions say 7 I believe, and the video says 5-6 (and has a completely different recovery tank). Overall I am happy with this but I feel like I am sort of averaging all the information, instead of having a definitive list of what exactly needs to be done for my specific system.
It's slightly disappointing that BHOgart doesn't ship with instructions specific to the unit packaged but, luckily it seems pretty straightforward, anyway.
One instance of recycled/old information is the directions that say to invert the tank and set down/in ice. I can see that for the tank in the videos but this one has a handle, two valves and safety valve on the top, all of which would be subjected to unnecessary pressure/external forces. I'm pretty sure valves shouldn't be used as support legs.
I'd hate to see someone try and follow the directions step by step and break a valve off of a recovery tank full of butane.

Also, the shower-recover-shower and continuous directions are basically identical, I assume the shower method just means sitting in dump for the extended time, until recovering?

..your tank has a dip tube ..do not invert it ..at that moment when your column is locked up ..go to recovery mode ..do not put your recovery tank in the ice bath ..low side pressure will drop towards vacuum ..you are creating pressure in you're recovery tank and vacuum in your collection spool. .. .now go back to shower ..your solvent should now blow right through your column in no time at all. ..

..then back to recover. .

..hope that helps. ..

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
..if you don't have a scale that you're tanks will work on ...i highly recommend it

OG_TGR

..your tank has a dip tube ..do not invert it ..at that moment when your column is locked up ..go to recovery mode ..do not put your recovery tank in the ice bath ..low side pressure will drop towards vacuum ..you are creating pressure in you're recovery tank and vacuum in your collection spool. .. .now go back to shower ..your solvent should now blow right through your column in no time at all. ..

..then back to recover. .

..hope that helps. ..

Thanks. Yeah I've found this procedure repeatedly in different forums/videos but I've had this not work.
It seems I've got less instance of this restriction when I am running a heating pad on the spool. I've read suggestion of using a heat gun but I'm not to that confidence level, yet.

I am meticulous in my process of leak testing/maintaining and I know that it wouldn't be any issue without first having a leak; I've also had a lot of experience with refrigerants/heavy gasses, still I want to be 100% on top of it before I go that route.

I don't currently have a scale but I will very soon. It's coming with my gas detectors!

I know this was covered somewhere, too but search doesn't seem to find it on this thread.

Since I've gone to the long shower instead of dump-recover-dump, I've noticed some material sticking to the top spool. I thought I read that this was due to improper/incomplete recovery?
I'm usually recovering down to 22, sometimes closer to 15, if I want to pour....

Last edited:

mendo420

Veteran
I finally killed a Diablo after a lot of use! Had it for about 11 months!
I'd say they are like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking!
They Kick ass!!!

OG_TGR

NICE! It appears that there is definitely a difference in color/transparency from trim/bud runs>
All I've been able to run so far is trim, looking forward to a bud run!

mendo420

Veteran
NICE! It appears that there is definitely a difference in color/transparency from trim/bud runs>
All I've been able to run so far is trim, looking forward to a bud run!

Yes their is, so many factors in the equation of end product.
starting material, temp, vacuum it all plays a role in final color and texture.

I've been spending hours sorting duff.....
Removing fan leaves, sorting trim and picking out buds.
But its worth it as you see.

I wish people would get over this color thing.
The proof is in the pudding, whats the effect is the most important.
How stoned does it get you and, is it smooth and does it test out at?

More people should get there product tested.
I think they don't care.

I tested some wax.
80%THC :woohoo:
http://sclabs.com/sample-detail.html?id=95069

Its from bud but it waxed up in the vac oven.

:tiphat:

jpdnkstr

Nice results, I am curious how much they charge for terp profile, and residual solvent testing, as those tests are rather expensive in my neck of the woods.

A6 Grower

Veteran
I get a vendor discount at analytical360 for $50/potency $50/residuals(12 solvents).... its an ok price, but they are quick(3days) and you get a cool looking card lol. Kinda the only option in WA though lol

montroller

I get a vendor discount at analytical360 for $50/potency $50/residuals(12 solvents).... its an ok price, but they are quick(3days) and you get a cool looking card lol. Kinda the only option in WA though lol

Damn $100 per sample? I thought I was getting robbed at $70, with the amount of samples these guys do a day that is really the industry to be in, lol.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Damn $100 per sample? I thought I was getting robbed at $70, with the amount of samples these guys do a day that is really the industry to be in, lol.

Ya we pay almost as much for testing as rent lol. Hopefully soon we will have access to at cost testing from a local outfit we'll be promoting

Hey guys is it possible to get a clogged material tube from packing the bhogart? I tried running the bhogart just now with trim and small popcorn nugs. I did atleast 10 dumps trying to get the solvent to flow trough the site glass. I never got any of the solvent to go trough I just reclaimed down to -11hg because I couldn't get anything to happen I was out there for an hour and a half doing dumps. It is now getting to late to keep trying. This has been a really frustrating night for me. If you guys know anything about what may be going on please let me know. Thanks for your help.