What's new

best worm bins avaiable

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
seems like a lot more work soaking them. My worms are slave labor; i keep them in their own shit, i dont work for them.

I got a centrifugal juicer for the holidays. Plenty of scraps for teh worms.

The problems with monoculture are well documented. Potential banana extinction being a prime example.

Worms are suppose to be very resilient, there are no documented worm diseases causing problems, but if all your worms came from one source, and their worms came from one source, there could be a lack of genetic diversity.

I plan on trading a hand full of worms with every worm farmer i come across.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
My city gave out a huge (probably 70Gal) trashcan (with over sized wheels) for 'recycling'. I keep my cans, and feed the paper waste to the worms.

Im thinking of cutting a 'window' in the bottom, drilling some holes for some horizontal aluminum rods, and turning it into a 'flow though' on wheels.

My only trepidation (other than its probably illegal to 'destroy' their can. [im not, im recycling with it!]) is it may be WAY TOO top heavy. Those wheels are well balanced, i bet an empty void on the bottom with a bunch of shit up top might make it completely unstable. Still thinking about it.

Mine is taller than this.
green-recycling-can.gif

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Thanks for the info shroom. I also have two of those green bins from my REC company. They don't even charge a rental fee. I use them to cook my soil in and store before the outdoor season arrives. When my green bin is full I can still wheel it, but I have trouble going up steps. I am also a strong guy, so if you are disabled at all then you might have issues.

BTW - My bin is 90 gal, and that bin shows your town name. Might want to delete that. Unless just a generic pic. Or maybe I am just stoned

Check your pm's......gotta question for you.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Now that I think about it Shroom, I help set up a grow that involved a very steep hill, plant growth, and about 150 yards of terrain. I used those green bins to bring in dirt and supplies. The wheels even held up with the constant thumping around. We pulled those bins with 3/4 full of soil.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
yeah, that is some random pic. Im more concerned with it being top heavy with the hollowed out bottom (a place for the EWC to collect).

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
A very nice link on worm castings enjoy.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/worms/
dirrtyd

I cant figure out if your fucking with us or not. That link is to a site setup for a 3rd grader.

Now comes the part I like the best—FOOD! I spend most of my time eating and believe it or not I love vegetables and fruits.

I love potato peelings, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, celery, apple peelings, banana peels, orange rinds, and grapefruit. I also like cornmeal, oatmeal, crushed eggshells, coffee grounds with the filter, and tea bags.
bin19.gif

94104_o.gif

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
recent analysis of pure EWC.....

Analysis as percent:
(Tested by NC Dept. of Agronomy)
(To convert ppm to % divide ppm by 10000)

N - 1.0
P - 0.15
K - 0.16
Ca - 2.44
Mg - 0.38
S - 0.17
Fe - 0.16
Mn - trace (80 ppm)
Zn - trace (50 ppm)
Cu - trace (17 ppm)
B - trace (10 ppm)

pH - 6.06
C:N - 36.5
Soluble Salt - 134 (0.13 ds/m)

http://blueridgeorganics.net/

Bullfrog44

Veteran
is that "all" pure EWC? I thought it mattered what you feed them. Is all worm poop the same? Good post.

G

greenmatter

i don't think all worm castings could possibly be the same. even organics follow "conservation of mass" rules. so the worms diet would make all the difference. what goes in must come out ....... i would think

There are quote a few peer review studies documenting the inputs of worm bins affecting the NPK/micronutrient profile of EWC. I'll look for the links...

2dialed

so many great poster's on this forum compared to regular garden sites. has anyone used compost tea or em1 to wet their shredded cardboard or newspaper, leaves or some other bedding material? i'd like to try african crawlers or maybe european's since i like fishing. also is the prunina worm chow easy to source

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I used a handful of store bought EWC, added it to a water bucket. let it bubble for a day with an aquarium pump, and then drenched my bin when i first started it. I figured it helped kick start the process.

Buying worm food is insane, im sure you generate plenty.

Guess where my old yellow and white page phone books went?

2dialed

yeah.... i know insane with so much waste stream all around. wasn't sure if kitchen scraps would work well with africans but i suppose that if i could find a feed store that carried purina brand i could maybe special order it just wasn't sure if i could get it by the bag or if u had to order a truck load. also long ago i've heard that comfrey could stimulate reproduction and growth but the worm chow has more than just protein and some of the worm suppliers seem to think it's better than chicken feed or corn meal

G

greenmatter

if it use to be alive the worms will eat it. there is stuff they don't like much (onions) but there is plenty of free worm food around you no matter where you live. why open your wallet when you can use "trash"? worms take recycling really seriously:wave:

2dialed

my understanding was that they wouldn't fatten up and just be skinny like red worms if u didn't use grain feed. my interest would be bait and castings so a fat worm and the dry granular looking castings is what i'm after. sorta like feedlot beef or feeding dairy products to pigs

Latest posts

Latest posts