What's new

best worm bins avaiable

mad librettist

Veteran
If you put too much shit in, the microbes dont work as well, they have to compete with every other airborne microbe that lands on the fresh material. When you add a little at a time, the 'good' microbes can just take off. (Similar to mush cult).

Never heard of Espom Salt supplementation (MgSO4). Dolomite lime (CaMg) is a normal supplement though, as it helps keep the pH from falling too low.

that's not really how it works. If you have lots of worm and things don't get compacted you can add lots at a time. Too much food uses too much oxygen, which leads to anaerobic, sour conditions the worms don't like.

The reason for calcium supplementation is worm biology. They have a calciferous gland that injects calcium carbonate into their food on the way in. That part is crucial to their digestive process. Keep your bin aerobic and the pH will stay right assuming you don't go crazy with acidic stuff.

As for microbes from the air, you want them. 99% of them are good.

h.h.

Veteran
I would only use paper if I could find nothing else. You really can't go wrong with too much dry brown material. They live in compost and soil. They should come in soil. Follow suit.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are right, I said Epsom Salt. Face-palm! I totally meant Dolomite lime, because of the ph issues from the peat. I am glad somebody is paying attention today, cause I totally spaced on that one.

No lime either! If there is something worms love more than horse poo, coffe grounds, banana peels and cardboard, it is sphagnum peat moss. They'll absolutely hate you if you mess that shit up with lime!

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just stick with what you've outlined minus the lime. The reason for caution with lots of green stuff is nitrates. Too many nitrates actually turns worms to liquid. I watched it happen before my eyes. Lots of people over-rate the oxygen thing with worms. If they think things are too anaerobic they'll be on the surface and exiting.

Whomever it was (Mofeta) that talked about treating them like weary travellers and give them browns (carbons) to start - that's yer dude.

Last edited:

mofeta

Veteran
I intend no disrespect. Just useful info.

the reason for roasting (in the oven) the egg shells and soaking in vinegar is to get homemade calcium phosphate.

This is incorrect. Chicken eggshells contain very little P (<.4%). Also, home kitchen ovens do not get hot enough to decompose any of the carbonates into oxides. There is no difference between soaking roasted eggshell or raw eggshell in vinegar. Both will produce a soulution of calcium acetate.

If you are interested in eggshell chemistry, I can make a thread in the Toker's Den about it, so this thread doesn't get clogged up. It is an interesting subject, calcined eggshell is very useful in carbon scrubbing in energy production.

The reason for calcium supplementation is worm biology. They have a calciferous gland that injects calcium carbonate into their food on the way in. That part is crucial to their digestive process.

This is an extremely interesting subject. The production of calcite crystals by earthworms has been a topic of much debate and study since it was discovered over a hundred years ago.

The theory that the production of these crystals "... is crucial to their digestive process.", was popular early on, as was the theory that they were produced to deal with excess calcium in the environment.

The current understanding of these excretions is that they are the product of CO2 regulation in the earthworm's metabolism. It is obvious though that there is more to it than that.

If you would like to discuss this very interesting subject, we should make a new thread to do so.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Start a new thread because that info sounds like it would be great info. Like heady said, do it in the organic forum please.

Thanks again for all the help everybody.

mad librettist

Veteran
heya mo, good stuff - start a thread with sources and stuff so we can get edumacated.

re: phosphorous: it is a limiting factor in egg shell production and quality. AFAIK chicken farmers have to constantly supplement Ca, grit, and P. Why is there no P in egg shells then?

Last edited:

mad librettist

Veteran
re: the calciferous gland - also interesting, but practically, it doesn't change the fact that Ca is a limiting factor for worm activity, and that castings have plenty of Ca.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Today at work I had 2 pieces of 1/2 ply wood and 4 2x4x10's left over that I swooped on. I was thinking about making a flow through bin when I got the time. Anybody have any plans for building one? I found a couple on the net, but you guys know more about this than most people, so what are your guys thoughts?

big_daddy

Bullfrog,

The following link might give you a visual to build your own without plans. The OSCR bin plans we used cost us 50 bucks and frankly need some updating.(IMO)

If you have carpentry skills, you should have no problem designing a flow through to fit your needs. Just remember to make the reactor chamber at least 18" deep. The square footage is up to you.

http://www.bananas.org/f313/flow-through-worm-bin-13302.html

b_d

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Anyone have any thoughts/objections to adding a bunch of fallen leaves from my yard?

FWIW, ive read the dolomite lime thing (Not quick lime) from 2+ sources.

I dont crack eggs that often, what other alternatives are there to add Ca?

G

greenmatter

^^^^^ worms love leaves .......... but mine also love limestone, i don't understand how it could be bad for them if they like it so much. i put a couple of ounces of Espoma Garden Lime on the top of the feeding tray once a month. it takes a couple days for it to "soften up" but after that the worms are all over it.

i'll put some in the bin now and post a pic in a couple days

big_daddy

ShroomDr,

IMO, using leaves to make leaf mold (leaf compost)first is a better way to use them for worm food. If you were to put your leaves in a trash can and then stick a weed whacker in it and pulverize the leaves, it expedites the the decomposition of the leaves. I think that would be a better way to use them in a worm bin, but have never tried it.

Additionally, if you can make or access EM-1, spraying the pulverized leaves and sealing in plastic trash bags will further expedite the process of making leaf mold. The good thing about using leaves is that they are loaded with minerals that are "mined" up from the root system. These minerals are elemental and will be present in your finished compost/vermicompost. The bad thing is, it can take up to a year to make leaf mold properly.

Horse, cow, chicken and other grass eating animal manures are good food for worms and will provide calcium. Most of the grass/hay eaten by these animals has the minerals necessary for their health, and a good portion of it is still left in their manure. This all ends up in the vermicompost and you can usually get as much as you want for free on craigslist.

Calcium is the fifth most abundant element in the earth's crust so it's safe to say that most any type of produce you feed your worms will also provide them calcium. Lastly if you decide to use manure, make sure it's aged or partially composted.

b_d

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^^ worms love leaves .......... but mine also love limestone, i don't understand how it could be bad for them if they like it so much. i put a couple of ounces of Espoma Garden Lime on the top of the feeding tray once a month. it takes a couple days for it to "soften up" but after that the worms are all over it.

i'll put some in the bin now and post a pic in a couple days

What is the point?

G

greenmatter

What is the point?

what is the point of what ?

worms like leaves ..... and rock powders (which is what i thought pelletized limestone really was)

i started using it to balance out the Ph because i was using lots of coffee grounds and over time i noticed that the worms seem to love the stuff with or without any other food added to it. in my bin it is like adding egg shells, no matter what else they are eating they always go after the egg shells as soon as they are added (the lime just needs time to soften up).

not a point as much as it was an observation

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Bullfrog,

The following link might give you a visual to build your own without plans. The OSCR bin plans we used cost us 50 bucks and frankly need some updating.(IMO)

If you have carpentry skills, you should have no problem designing a flow through to fit your needs. Just remember to make the reactor chamber at least 18" deep. The square footage is up to you.

http://www.bananas.org/f313/flow-through-worm-bin-13302.html

b_d

Thank you for the link, and I think I can handle the construction. It is what i do for a living.:tiphat:

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
DAM ... BF44... sorry U had such a BAD time w/ U'r worms....SUX's...
I was finally able to get 2lbsw of Red Wigglers in the mail....
made a Bin.... covered in predrilled air-holes all of the bottom and half way up the sides....placed in another bin that has the collar of another bin in it to keep the worm bin raised from the drip bin by excess of a additional bin.....works well

made a mix of 1/3 dried leaves, 1/3 shredded WET card board, and 1/3 cow manure....

added my worms over 2 wks ago.... and have sense feed w/ sum crushed eggshells, sum asparagus, bottoms {preground}, and tonight sum old apple and lettuce..... drizzled a little molasses, and a sprinkle of cornmeal.....

so far the little bastards are enjoying life.... and thriving

hey there yort- might want to reconsider the leaves, especially fall leaves. i remember reading an article by mike mandala (mandala seed) that fall leaves make poor compost because the trees have used up all the nutrients and especially the nitrogen.

Latest posts

Latest posts