What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best thing I EVER added to my res...

Devish

OK, 24hrs after adding Subculture B/M to my filter, my tank is very brown. In fact, the roots of the plants have dark matter on them. Is this normal? Likely just the Subculture mix...

Out of the four plants:

2 seem to be perking up
1 unchanged, and one is as droopy as it started.

Any feedback on the initial, stained roots would be appreciated.

Devish

Update:

This is the worst thing ever added to my res. Granted, I'm the one at fault, somewhat. I tired to bypass starting the beneficials in a separate bucket and adding directly to the res with the biofilter.

I can say the biofilter helped encourage growth - of the wrong organism. Less than 24hrs after adding, the bad bacteria / algea / WTF had eaten most of the root system of my plants.

So... don't do it this way. If you have a infestation, don't add a bio filter.

The Groff

Update:

This is the worst thing ever added to my res. Granted, I'm the one at fault, somewhat. I tired to bypass starting the beneficials in a separate bucket and adding directly to the res with the biofilter.

I can say the biofilter helped encourage growth - of the wrong organism. Less than 24hrs after adding, the bad bacteria / algea / WTF had eaten most of the root system of my plants.

Went I went through the heisenberg thread, I remember him saying it is normal for a sudden boost in sludge when you drops in his bennie tea. Keep your hopes up and go brew some charged EWC tea if you can!! :good:

I made this yesterday and completely cleaned my system in 24h.

After much shopping around, I decided I preferred making my own with turbo charged specs. A powerhead 500L/h sucking a mechanical filter on the left, shoots down to a venturi fed by a little airpump, then up through the biomedia and off the top. Sweeeet!! Peanuts to assemble.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 31

The Groff

Devish, I forgot to mention... did the pH suddenly rise to, something like 0.4 - 0.6? That is a sign of good bacteria suddenly getting a hold. IIRC, it should happen withing hours and stabilize. Then you can pH down again to optimum levels and monitor. If from there you keep fighting, then yes you have and outbreak.

I added another biofilter to my other RDWC 4 pot, and low and behold there is some slime.
So, I'm in your position too... Off to do NOTHING except brew as a preventive measure.

Update:

Sorry too hear it went bad...:comfort:
I've read that if you use subculture bm you should be very carefull and use only a third(or something like that)... And still, i think it needs time too establish.
Maybe you should try it without the bm.

Good Luck

The Groff

Right enough, bennies worked flawlessly. Sudden increase in slime is bacteria decomposing the meanies. I have a clean rez again on both my systems

Should go to a local pet store and buy pond-zyme. Its like $20 for 8oz or maybe even more. Keeps the res clean and lasts over a year.

Devish

I wound up losing that grow - I gave up. I brewed tea with the biofilter, which seemed to work great. Added to my res which kept it clean for four days instead of the usual two, then got slimed again. Hard.

Pulled plants - the root system was gone brown all the way to the rockwool cubes. I made the decision to toss this grow (1.5 months in) and reboot the system clean.

Groff, I like your biofilter - is this in your res? Trying to figure out the plumbing - another photo would be appreciated. It cleaned your infected res?

I'm not sure why the biofilter failed for me. I am hesitant to try again. Maybe if I start with a clean system, introduce beneficials, and THEN add biofilter, that is likely the correct path.

BigPete

Ok I know this is an old thread but I feel its worth bumping it as I tried out adding a submersible filter to my res. Some of you may of read my thread entitled "whats this shit" . I had real bad problems with my tapwater going snotty in my reservoir, but now my res is sparkling clear although it has a slight amber hue. I ran my submersible filter for a couple of weeks with compost tea added to my res and I'm very impressed at how clear the water has remained.

I have removed my airpump and have put my submersible filter in such a way so it ripples the surface, perfect. Ph stays within 5.8 - 6.00

I'm using flood drain with clay pebbles, plants are looking great, leaves are not drooping anymore but raised up, very happy :biggrin:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
About 3 grows ago I read where air pump/stones can be replaced with waterfalls. Here's 2 styles I tried last grow. Both worked great, separate timer to run ~ 3 minutes every 20-30 minutes. I had to remove the lid to show the sprinkler in action

also, last grow I decided to do an experiment using lpa with hpa mist heads to start my seedlings. Worked great These roots were way ahead of any bubbleponics I tried

Make sure you check out my next grow with a major rez twist

View attachment 464204 View attachment 464205

View attachment 464206 View attachment 464207

Keep goin

Interesting to see my old post and read through it.. haven't been posting for a while. So long in fact that I have changed my tune on res maintenance.
I now go completely sterile..now "the best thing I add to my res.." is pool shock. After reading an article on increasing ORP in reservoir I figured I'd give it a shot.
I then tried Clear Res a commercial product available..loved it, but it was super expensive..then found a post (I forget where) saying "how I made 2000 gal of clear res for $5.." or something like that (I smoke a lot)
Turns out, with a little research I was able to find the proper HTH pool shock to purchase (the active ingredient is important)..small bag that seems like it will last FOREVER!!
I use 1 gram of HTH to 1 gallon of water..then 1 oz of that mixture per 5 gallons of reservoir mix. The beauty is..you can add it at any time. Either just add it as you make your mix..or add it to entire res. Any time I see ANY type of problem with my roots i.e: not bursting forth and white..I dose them. I try to remember to do it weekly..if I forget, it's no biggie..but if I see something going sideways I just add it in and poof.. problem solved.
Give it a shot..if anyone give a crap I will look at the specific bag of what I bought and list it..
The benefits of this over the "tea" approach is the overall cleanliness of your entire system. It is super easy to clean up between grows, or during the grow if you swap your buckets out like I do for DWC. Simple simple simple...I like simple
KG

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting to see my old post and read through it.. haven't been posting for a while. So long in fact that I have changed my tune on res maintenance.
I now go completely sterile..now "the best thing I add to my res.." is pool shock. After reading an article on increasing ORP in reservoir I figured I'd give it a shot.
I then tried Clear Res a commercial product available..loved it, but it was super expensive..then found a post (I forget where) saying "how I made 2000 gal of clear res for $5.." or something like that (I smoke a lot)
Turns out, with a little research I was able to find the proper HTH pool shock to purchase (the active ingredient is important)..small bag that seems like it will last FOREVER!!
I use 1 gram of HTH to 1 gallon of water..then 1 oz of that mixture per 5 gallons of reservoir mix. The beauty is..you can add it at any time. Either just add it as you make your mix..or add it to entire res. Any time I see ANY type of problem with my roots i.e: not bursting forth and white..I dose them. I try to remember to do it weekly..if I forget, it's no biggie..but if I see something going sideways I just add it in and poof.. problem solved.
Give it a shot..if anyone give a crap I will look at the specific bag of what I bought and list it..
The benefits of this over the "tea" approach is the overall cleanliness of your entire system. It is super easy to clean up between grows, or during the grow if you swap your buckets out like I do for DWC. Simple simple simple...I like simple
KG

Be careful where you store it. I had the bag in a glass jar with a plastic lid. I had a new dishwasher hose (metal sheath) and a fairly new garbage disposal. I don't use the disposal much, but one day it would not come on. I checked -no obstructions, so I opened the cabinet to reset the breaker which was not in protection mode, and noticed the dishwasher metal sheath was totally corroded. Took me a bit to figure out the cause was the hTH gassing

MD84

I ordered some Calcium Hypochlorite...would this be the right stuff? I don't think that HTH pool shock is available here.

budsicles

NO..Don't use regular chlorine..there is a difference in the active ingredient.

Are you sure? All the hth shock products I see use calcium hypochlorite as the main ingredient. This is what most pool chlorine products are made from. It releases chlorine when mixed with water.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Best thing I ever Don't add to my res are 99% of the biologically derived products on the market. Seriously, I don't change my DWC res through the entire flower run and don't run sterile. It's clear and there's no need.

DO's with Hydro
- Use r/o filtered water, or water which is just as clean of mineral and **biological** material
- Use only this water with all cleaning, meters and other equipment touching your solution
- Maintain enough O2, and less than needed for pH changes
- Keep temps between 65-69F

Years of doing this now, in multiple states of the US. If your problem is in the air where you live, I would suggest proven beneficial enzymes, or possibly worm casting tea. I haven't needed any. I did fight bacteria/algae coming from my well water, contaminating equipment which was washed/rinsed with it. Once the system was sterilized and only r/o water used, there were no issues. :D

Thank you for the information Keep_goin, I'll remember it for the future for sure. Definitely going to be helpful to a lot of growers. :)

shaggyballs

Veteran
I tried pool shock, it did not dissolve for me and I left it for days.
It also left a foam like substance on the top of the mixing beaker.

What went wrong here?

Latest posts

Latest posts