What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best thing I EVER added to my res...

Asotos

Holly shit !!! That guy answered my question , I was looking for. I'm quoting:

Gognats is not compatible with microbes and does not kill many gnats, it just repels them. Try mosquito dunks, which contain a specific bacillus strain that targets gnat larvae and makes them deathly ill. You can add drunks to a tea brew or just soak them in distilled water and drench the soil. Consider adding a layer of sand to the top soil. Combine this with sticky yellow traps and remove all potential breeding grounds in other areas of the house. (cat boxes, drains, trash, old food, ect)

Mosquito dunks , are very effective way to kill gnats and it's eggs rapidly ! Early stages or not.. It's a great product !!!

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
Holly shit !!! That guy answered my question , I was looking for. I'm quoting:

Mosquito dunks , are very effective way to kill gnats and it's eggs rapidly ! Early stages or not.. It's a great product !!!

lol, aint it grand!

I got up to pg 36 , said fuck it, joined up and my question to him was my first post! lmao straight to the point!

BTW im FRIENDinDEED over there as well, im actually FRIENDinDEED PERIOD! LMAO

Keep goin

hey KG, thanks for starting this thread brother, ti really did a lot more than what it was intended to do, at least for me anyway. found a lot of cool information, as usual helpful ppl, and learned a shit load. love that about IC.

that bio-filter portion of your filter must be a beast! from what ive been reading its doing a lot more for you than you may realize, but I think you know already to he honest.

I know things are cool for right now and by god I hope they stay that way for the rest of your grows but if you really want to learn more man, you gotta check this thread out: http://www.rollitup.org/dwc-bubbleponics/361430-dwc-root-slime-cure-aka.html

I wanted to ask you, you run GH nutes, but those additives that you use, are they organic? do you know if they have any BB in it/them?

No problem... I always enjoy sharing things that I have tried and have found actually work. With the hope that someone else will have success as well.

I checked out that link that you put up. Interesting read for sure!!

Even though everything is going great right now. I'm always looking to improve my grows. Quality is my number one goal. Followed very closely by my desire to be able to repeat my results.

It's got me wondering about doing both!?! Running the filters and adding tea? I'm thinking of brewing up some tea and trying it in at least one of my reservoirs...and certainly in my DWC buckets. An ounce of prevention....

Wondering how the addition of the tea will impact my feed lines and the cleanliness of my reservoir? But I'm willing to check it out.

The only additives I use are applied via foliar spray. Floro Plus is organic, it's mainly sea weed. In terms of BB?? I don't know about that...don't think so.

Also in terms of seeding the water. If you are in fact going to run EWC tea then it's a moot point, but it is unnecessary to seed the water with the "box filters". I asked at the pet store when I purchased the filters. They were right, BB are definitely "active" within the filter system.

The cleanliness of running just the filters is INSANE. Again, just trying to share specific results I have witnessed. I have never seen anything like it.

If I'm able to add EWC tea and continue to remain as clean I will definitely be doing it. If not, the straight up filters alone are killin it right now.

Good Luck
KG

|FCG|Frank

If I wanted to get a filter for my DWC and had the money, is Eihem a good investment, or ridiculous for the use involved? I'm up to invest in anything that will make my life easier or my plants healthier, and this seem to achieve both!

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
No problem... I always enjoy sharing things that I have tried and have found actually work. With the hope that someone else will have success as well.

I checked out that link that you put up. Interesting read for sure!!

Even though everything is going great right now. I'm always looking to improve my grows. Quality is my number one goal. Followed very closely by my desire to be able to repeat my results.

It's got me wondering about doing both!?! Running the filters and adding tea? I'm thinking of brewing up some tea and trying it in at least one of my reservoirs...and certainly in my DWC buckets. An ounce of prevention....

Wondering how the addition of the tea will impact my feed lines and the cleanliness of my reservoir? But I'm willing to check it out.

The only additives I use are applied via foliar spray. Floro Plus is organic, it's mainly sea weed. In terms of BB?? I don't know about that...don't think so.

Also in terms of seeding the water. If you are in fact going to run EWC tea then it's a moot point, but it is unnecessary to seed the water with the "box filters". I asked at the pet store when I purchased the filters. They were right, BB are definitely "active" within the filter system.

The cleanliness of running just the filters is INSANE. Again, just trying to share specific results I have witnessed. I have never seen anything like it.

If I'm able to add EWC tea and continue to remain as clean I will definitely be doing it. If not, the straight up filters alone are killin it right now.

Good Luck
KG

that's good to know, I really like to keep things as simple as possible myself. the less variables the less shit to go wrong in my opinion.

now I have to say that what you say that the ppl at the store told you about the BB's being active in the filter is a game changer in a serious way, for me anyway and here they are:

1. it was a thought that crossed my mind that maybe they did add the BB's in the filters since, from that other thread, they eventually started to talk about BB's that came in the form of prepared powders and thats where that idea sparked with me.

2. now if your filters (1) already have BB's in as you have found (2) are giving you unexpected results on the upside (your word on your grow is good enough for me) then it would be safe to say that the BB's for plants are comparable to the BB's for fish

*** so a really good question would be, what individual strains of bacteria are in the filters? how would one go about testing whats actually "active" within the filters, you know?

3. if #2 is true, and I can tell from your results that it is, then there is no real need for the EWC tea in any way shape or form. it seems that the BB's in general help to boost the plants ability to uptake nutes and apparently allows you to use less nutes with great if not greater results

in the other thread I talked about "farming" the BB's somehow on lava rocks and then transferring/transplanting them into the buckets, but it went unanswered, and since the thread is about making this tea and combating root rot that's what everyone was stuck on, not too much "outside of the box" thinking and it was understandable since the thread had to deal with getting rid of root rot and brown slime.

so now my thoughts are going right back to square one and that's getting the filters for each bucket since they already have the BB's in there. it negates me having to brew a tea ever so often which I really don't want to do, but would if it help to increase yield. (which not matter how you look at it, its still more/added/extra work to do)

im just glad this thread started so early in my grow season. I don't really get anything started until the days become warm or warmer on a steady basis, so its good that im getting the information on all of this now as opposed to being 3/4's of the way through the grow and then your stuck with that "now you fucking tell me" look on your face.

since my money situation has improved just a lil bit, I can buy the filters at an even pace maybe 2 at a time every 2wks at best

BTW: don't know if you've been able to do any research on the smaller filters, but for a 5gl DWC with a plant in it you would have to keep topping it up. just youtube the filter brand, if I remember correctly its the tetra whisper 3i or i3 some shit, but I don't think it could be considered a help to the system maybe more of a hindrance, but either way check it out

Last edited:

petemoss

Nice little bio filter, Keep goin! I was having trouble getting a stable EC reading due to a lot of floating debris. Bits of algea in the res, I think. But the Whisper 10i cleaned up my res right away. Works great and completely silent.

picture.php

Asotos

You dont need to brew the tea everytime buddy, I don't think so ! Just add some great white in every 6 weeks or so !! Thats more than enough I'm sure ..

Keep goin

1. it was a thought that crossed my mind that maybe they did add the BB's in the filters since, from that other thread, they eventually started to talk about BB's that came in the form of prepared powders and thats where that idea sparked with me.

2. now if your filters (1) already have BB's in as you have found (2) are giving you unexpected results on the upside (your word on your grow is good enough for me) then it would be safe to say that the BB's for plants are comparable to the BB's for fish

*** so a really good question would be, what individual strains of bacteria are in the filters? how would one go about testing whats actually "active" within the filters, you know?

3. if #2 is true, and I can tell from your results that it is, then there is no real need for the EWC tea in any way shape or form. it seems that the BB's in general help to boost the plants ability to uptake nutes and apparently allows you to use less nutes with great if not greater results

so now my thoughts are going right back to square one and that's getting the filters for each bucket since they already have the BB's in there. it negates me having to brew a tea ever so often which I really don't want to do, but would if it help to increase yield. (which not matter how you look at it, its still more/added/extra work to do)

BTW: don't know if you've been able to do any research on the smaller filters, but for a 5gl DWC with a plant in it you would have to keep topping it up.

Hey all...

Friend: as to #1...not sure if they "add" BB to the filters, or if the filter material just acts as housing?? All I know is they work right out of the box. And for a LOT longer than the monthly replacement they recommend. I'm going on month 3 with nothing but a rinse at the end of the one round into the next.

as for #2 I would have to say..again, without direct scientific knowledge of whats happening in the system, only observational knowledge coming from my experience...I would definitely say YES they are the same!! Or the filter simply cultivates the BB in the system it is inserted into. Fish or Plant...

As to your next question...?? I honestly don't care...!! It works like a charm, I don't really need to know which strains are active. But maybe that's just me...?? I wouldn't know how to go about testing that?

The only reason to run the EWC tea in addition would be as you mentioned improved results (yield, or otherwise). If you are running both, it might give better results. There's only one way to find out. (I will brew up some tea and check it out).

As an aside, I have personally found that the submersible fulval filter that I had recommended earlier in this post has proved a problem. Great results, but the filter tends to get clogged up with roots once they fill the res. I had one in my veg bin and it filled with roots. I have one presently in a 5 gal DWC bucket...pretty sure it will be clogged up when finished. The small tetra unit I use in my EZ cloner would probably work better hanging on the side. But it will still be surrounded by roots, and may clog by the end??

And as a separate thought...this ^^ would probably be one reason to run EWC tea in stand alone DWC buckets. Not sure...but it may be tricky to keep the roots from getting sucked into the filters when they are in the same area. In my big res some roots grow down into the res...but not enough to get sucked into the filter. So, I would imagine that in DWC it might work better if you are running a connected system (RDWC, or UnderCurrent system) with a controller bucket where you could have the filter situated away from the root systems.
I almost always have one or two DWC buckets hanging out on the side of my main tables. So as I said I will experiment with EWC tea in those buckets and compare to the fish filter results. It may work better in a confined space?!? A little more work granted, but a filter clogged up with roots is no fun.

Live and learn...

Yeah, Petemoss...That's what I'm talkin about!!! Have fun with it.

Asotos...the tea involves more than just GW..apparently the EWC is the main "shit" as it were...I don't even add GW anymore, the filters just take care of it.

FGC Frank...I would stay cheaper than the Eihem...crazy expensive...unless you are linking lots of buckets through an external filter. Also, I would be aware of my above observations when using DWC...not entirely convinced of the compatibility of fish filters in individual buckets because of the clogging potential.!?

Thanks all for checking in...I will be updating with continued observations and info on results I am seeing personally, and to answer any questions I can. Hope others check it out and bask in the ease and success these filters bring to the table.

Good Luck,
KG

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Wow I completely fell in love with this idea when I read about it last night.

What I want to know is if you can ever have to many tetra filters.....I am debating adding one to every plant site and loosing air stones all together.

I have a big boy ready for my 130 gallon RDWC system
picture.php

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Wow I completely fell in love with this idea when I read about it last night.

What I want to know is if you can ever have to many tetra filters.....I am debating adding one to every plant site and loosing air stones all together.

I have a big boy ready for my 130 gallon RDWC system
View Image

you and me both brother!

I am still debating on whether or not to do the tea or just add these to all of my current and future 5glDWC's OR should I make the tea.

there are so many pros and cons to both the filters and the tea but to be honest the filters are always coming out on top

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best thing I ever added to my res....

Best thing I ever added to my res....

Hi Folks,
I reckon this is the best thing I have ever added to y 100L res.

85L per minute! Air pump designed to run 14 lines for an aquarium shop.

Makes the nutes look like champagne! I now have a dedicated 6" fan blowing at the intake, cooler the air the better I reckon.
Happy Growing folks :tiphat:

I am going to use GHE Biofilter with Subculture in a PANDA HYDRO system.

When i mounted all parts I'll take a photo for you! :)

Have you some reviews about these products?

humanYoda

I am going to use GHE Biofilter with Subculture in a PANDA HYDRO system.

When i mounted all parts I'll take a photo for you! :)

Have you some reviews about these products?

Nice... are you going too use bio sevia?
I've read that you should not use the subculture at full dose.
But I've never used it so i could be wrong.
Good luck.

HY

The Groff

Bumping up and subbing along - just went through the entire thread - much love for this priceless info

I am soooo jumping into it. Just need to figure out some basics. Money is low too, might try DIY...

I found this in my "get rid of airstones" ventures. I strongly believe they are a thing of the past, sort of like old-school hydro - but it must be done right.

Anyways, I have a few question I hope you lovely people might address. I opened a thread regarding DO levels.

1 - what is the "new" target temperature? up to now, 19ºC (66ºF) is what is regarded as optimum between pythium prevention and roots growth - but when I brewed EWC for the first time I forgot about this detail. Didnt react much until I slapped a heater in there and rose water temps from around 17 to about 22. BOOM instant foaming (sign of bacterial explosion)

2 - I've been studying up on polysorate-20 (+rep to Sun Tzu over at another forum for pointing me in this direction) - Anyone have solid knowledge about this and bacteria? 'cos I'm finding very conflicting info. One thing is clear, in the right amount is a super great biological surfactant that seems to completely annihilate pythium - but what about aerobic bennies? (if not - everyone - this is your homework from now on lol ... http://etd.auburn.edu/etd/bitstream/handle/10415/1203/Yang_Xiaomei_2.pdf)

3 - about fluming, having a pump pointed upwards to create a bulge to break surface tension and promote gas exchange - what about when the root mass gets huge? Won't the barrier created stop this?

4 - I have a 4 pot system with epicenter, would fluming the epicenter be enough to saturate with DO?

I'm think I need to hit aquarium stores today and go window shopping

Devish

Very glad to have found this thread. I went out and purchased the tetra whisper 10-20 at Wally-World last night.

I've got a UC home-built system that has had brown-slime issues for two weeks now. Nothing seems to be working. I've read, and tried, nearly everything except starting over. Everything seems to help, but it comes back every time after a few days.

The white-mesh filter bag is easily open-able, so I pout some Subculture B and M in there and am running the system now.

Reading through aquarium tank-care has been an eye opening adventure. I suspect you do have BB in your system, it is living in the filter. I do not - so I added some, in the form of Subculture B/M.

Will update.. but thanks for this idea and thread. I have high expectations :) this will work.

Very glad to have found this thread. I went out and purchased the tetra whisper 10-20 at Wally-World last night.

I've got a UC home-built system that has had brown-slime issues for two weeks now. Nothing seems to be working. I've read, and tried, nearly everything except starting over. Everything seems to help, but it comes back every time after a few days.

The white-mesh filter bag is easily open-able, so I pout some Subculture B and M in there and am running the system now.

Reading through aquarium tank-care has been an eye opening adventure. I suspect you do have BB in your system, it is living in the filter. I do not - so I added some, in the form of Subculture B/M.

Will update.. but thanks for this idea and thread. I have high expectations :) this will work.

Yes, please do update.

thx in advance