What's new

Best spot in Cali?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Modoc is very pretty in it's own way - largely high desert, but with snow in the winter and damn cold. It is known for it's big mule deer and deer hunting. There are less than 10,000 people in the entire county.

K

KSP

Its so remote .I would be there now but there are no jobs for my brother. its a quiet , & cheap place to live .you could get a place in the country , & just walk back off of your property , & find no one , its also dryer then where I am ( the redwood forest)I've had problems with rippers in the more populated areas like humboldt.

Nor-cal is cheap like the rest of the country , & there are people that are easy going freindly (reminds me of some of the people that I met down south ) pot smoking people.

The law in these far out places are tough , but there is so much space , that no one needs to know your buisness'

Thers just enough tree cover + lots of sunny hillsides , to do what you want .

Also if you grow in the madrones , & manzerics they throw off the infrared detection.
I moved out here from back east , & couldent belive how much more remote it is . Stay away from the coast because of all the people , & fog.

Thanks Chase, that's good info. I like what I've seen of the landscape. Looks like it could be more conservative but there are so few people, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Modoc is very pretty in it's own way - largely high desert, but with snow in the winter and damn cold. It is known for it's big mule deer and deer hunting. There are less than 10,000 people in the entire county.

Thanks Rives. I really like high desert, and I'd trade for some cold weather to get other things, within reason. I would probably like eastern Oregon too. I like the population density ~ 3 people per square mile is nice.

S

SeaMaiden

KSP, Alpine County in California is the 4th LEAST populated county in the entire U.S., and that's including Texas *and* Alaska. You want some remote in the lower 48? Alpine just may be it for you. However, it is aptly named.

Google Maps has just updated a lot of their images. I found pix of our property that were taken either late in May or early in June. I think I can almost pinpoint the time of day based on the tree shadows. Not to mention that CAMP is no more in California (but that doesn't mean the federal boys aren't trying to keep things going).

The manzanita around here is a very silvery green, and everywhere due to the light rainfall/snowfall over winter EVERYTHING is sparse and browning, even incense cedars. I see that white manzanita with browning patches in their middles and think, "WILDFIRE!" Fucking scary.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Yeah, SM, this is Dry-Lightning season Fo Sho. Sometimes, I can see the Inland High-Cirrus Clouds from the West..
Always nervy. Esp in Eastern Mendo and Trinity Counties.
Dry as Tinder out there...!

Rives, you may be cut out for it, and GREAT if so... But many Folks aren't.. It can be incredibly Soulful, but be prepared. Gets unbelievably Lonely and boring out in the Very Low-Density Areas... It is almost like Sensory-Deprivation..!! Certainly Culturally..
Food and necessity choices limited, or inconvenient. Long as I get to Travel a couple times a year, it is OK..!

Just as an Aside, once one leaves the Metro areas of CA, politics are rather conservative... Although still present, the Hippie Factor is not as prevalent as it was in earlier decades.

In extremely remote areas, the "Deliverance Factor" is very high.

There are some Counties wherein '420' is so "entrenched" in the economy that the area would literally FALL without Cultivation. Authorities (term used loosely) are aware of that, and there are occasionally some latitudes allowed. As long as one is NEVER a nuisance in the neighborhood. The Sheriff probably knows about Ya, though....

One Oldster or Indignant-Long-Time-Local calling in, and a visit may be forthcoming. Or, as the Local Constabulary may say these days, "We have no staff to go out and look at non-violent complaints.."

For Sure, when in previous residences, there were calls made to the Local LEO's and my Landlord.
Surprisingly nothing ever occured.
I am under no illusions about the fact that in Small-Towns, the LEO's know almost every house. If they don't, they find out.

Luck of the Draw, or Pot Lotto, as some call it. If you are lucky, to quote an aquaintance, you will have a Lotto Pot..!

Last edited:
K

KSP

KSP, Alpine County in California is the 4th LEAST populated county in the entire U.S., and that's including Texas *and* Alaska. You want some remote in the lower 48? Alpine just may be it for you. However, it is aptly named.

Google Maps has just updated a lot of their images. I found pix of our property that were taken either late in May or early in June. I think I can almost pinpoint the time of day based on the tree shadows. Not to mention that CAMP is no more in California (but that doesn't mean the federal boys aren't trying to keep things going).

The manzanita around here is a very silvery green, and everywhere due to the light rainfall/snowfall over winter EVERYTHING is sparse and browning, even incense cedars. I see that white manzanita with browning patches in their middles and think, "WILDFIRE!" Fucking scary.

That's a beautiful area, I did a little checking around, and many thanks for the heads up. The wildfire would be something new for me, we get occasional fires in the east, but like comparing the two landscapes, there is huge a difference in scale.

Rives, you may be cut out for it, and GREAT if so... But many Folks aren't.. It can be incredibly Soulful, but be prepared. Gets unbelievably Lonely and boring out in the Very Low-Density Areas... It is almost like Sensory-Deprivation..!! Certainly Culturally..
Food and necessity choices limited, or inconvenient. Long as I get to Travel a couple times a year, it is OK..!

Just as an Aside, once one leaves the Metro areas of CA, politics are rather conservative... Although still present, the Hippie Factor is not as prevalent as it was in earlier decades.

In extremely remote areas, the "Deliverance Factor" is very high.

There are some Counties wherein '420' is so "entrenched" in the economy that the area would literally FALL without Cultivation. Authorities (term used loosely) are aware of that, and there are occasionally some latitudes allowed. As long as one is NEVER a nuisance in the neighborhood. The Sheriff probably knows about Ya, though....

One Oldster or Indignant-Long-Time-Local calling in, and a visit may be forthcoming. Or, as the Local Constabulary may say these days, "We have no staff to go out and look at non-violent complaints.."

For Sure, when in previous residences, there were calls made to the Local LEO's and my Landlord. Surprisingly nothing ever occured.
I am under no illusions about the fact that in Small-Towns, the LEO's know almost every house. If they don't, they find out.

Good advice for anyone I guess is to be a quiet and good neighbor and hopefully a lot of things can be avoided. The political conservatism in the rural areas is a reality I'm sure, but I guess it's the same in any rural area pretty much.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Yeah Al, then He can come to Cali-Tucky..!! Can hear those Banjos already..!

KSP..I KNOW Modoc. Spent a lotta years there in the past. 35 below in the winter is not uncommon, 100 in the summer, 14.? % un-employed, largely uninhabited AND un-inhabitable, nothin for industry except cows and hay, and that only in the valleys. The balance of the land is largely volcanic scab-rock flats and rimrocks with a smattering of western red juniper and lotsa sagebrush. Cheap rent, but painfully high grocery costs and the highest gasoline prices in Cali. One set of mountains, the Warners, and the taxpayers own them....but govt. thinks THEY do. VERY active and restrictive USFS and BLM operations, their cops are dicks and carry the weight of a federal marshal. BUT, many plusses...hunting of small game, artifacts, big game is controlled by a "draw" and it took me as a resident ten years between tags. GOOD people with a tolerant attitude populate the countryside and the jerks mostly live in the only city (5200 pop.) Alturas. Many springs dot the landscape, but most on forest service managed land (and they watch them) several grow busts a year for the last few years. The local law are primarily wannabees, and thats a BIG deal for them. Modoc is for non-conformists...but you better be tough in constitution and smart. Being diverse in income related talents is a must.

K

KSP

Ksp thinking bout leave the ol' ken tuck?

Starting to do homework. Feels like I've been in the same place for too long. ~wagon must have lost a wheel, or they lacked ambition one~

Yeah Al, then He can come to Cali-Tucky..!! Can hear those Banjos already..!

The culture shock may not be as great as I anticipated :D

deliverance-banjo-kid-150a072209-fp.jpg

KSP..I KNOW Modoc. Spent a lotta years there in the past. 35 below in the winter is not uncommon, 100 in the summer, 14.? % un-employed, largely uninhabited AND un-inhabitable, nothin for industry except cows and hay, and that only in the valleys. The balance of the land is largely volcanic scab-rock flats and rimrocks with a smattering of western red juniper and lotsa sagebrush. Cheap rent, but painfully high grocery costs and the highest gasoline prices in Cali. One set of mountains, the Warners, and the taxpayers own them....but govt. thinks THEY do. VERY active and restrictive USFS and BLM operations, their cops are dicks and carry the weight of a federal marshal. BUT, many plusses...hunting of small game, artifacts, big game is controlled by a "draw" and it took me as a resident ten years between tags. GOOD people with a tolerant attitude populate the countryside and the jerks mostly live in the only city (5200 pop.) Alturas. Many springs dot the landscape, but most on forest service managed land (and they watch them) several grow busts a year for the last few years. The local law are primarily wannabees, and thats a BIG deal for them. Modoc is for non-conformists...but you better be tough in constitution and smart. Being diverse in income related talents is a must.

Thanks Eric, it sounds great. Those are like North Dakota temperature extremes; been through 3-4 day whiteouts/60mph winds, -60F, fun stuff! Some of those busts I saw were pretty big but were in Shasta I think, like 63,000 plants or something. I'm not that ambitious :D

dub bud

great thread ! i was born n raised in so cali (25 ish years ) than moved my family to the midwest, (non med state) we been here 10 years... we are ready to move back, we miss the beach and want to grow, without getting busted.....if thats possible. but i dont want to go back to so cal, its jus to crowded and expensive. whats the deal with clear lake? i been hearing a lot of horror stories. but there is some cheap houses out there. it is cheap here were we are now but the weather SUCKS gets super hot and super cold....