What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Red Wine, cheap and not?

whodare

Veteran
http://www.luigibosca.com.ar/descripcion_vino.php?idv=152&idi=ing

1336976_673829.jpg

Love me a good malbec, I get this at Costco for 13$. Idk if it's regional, or if you'll find it at them all but it's great stuff. I'm sure there's better, but it's been top of the under 20$ category so far for me.

T

TREE KING

i just tried google your talkin about beaulieu vineyard right seamaiden?

thinman

Tree King, if you haven't drank PORT wines, i'd suggest you try it. Quinta makes a "medium dry" Ruby and Tawny which are very nice, and not expensive. i personally enjoy a glass of Tawney almost every evening as a desert. the thing i like about port is that the quality does not change from bottle to bottle like still wines. because port is a blended wine, the master wine maker can keep the overall quality the same year after year. most ports are around 20% alcohol.

most people find port to be too sweet, and it is very sweet, but you don't drink large amounts usually. with port wine its all about the incredible flavors you can find. as an every day port i like Sandeman Tawney. i actually prefer their Tawney over their Reserve. the Tawney is about $17. as i mentioned Quinta makes a Ruby and a Tawney that are medium dry---not so sweet.

Shina's from Australia makes a very affordable Shiraz, $17... that is very good called "The Guilty".

California is home of great Zinfandels these days. Four Vines "Biker" is a good one for under $20.

i would advise you to not equate price with quality. i have paid a lot of money for a bottle of swill, and have truly enjoyed some wines for under $20...

the other thing i like about the port wines is that they don't need to be decanted, and the bottle will last for a week to 10 days without losing its character.

if you try a port, just take iddy-biddy sips and try to coat your mouth--upper palate, under the tongue---then a nice slow swallow while keeping your mouth closed. the entry is sweet, then the layers of flavors compete for dominance. the finish can be long and delicious. port usually doesn't have a lot of "mouth feel" (tannins and acids), but you'll find some hints of black pepper and shoe leather in the Sandeman Tawney that i find enchanting. port will have you smacking your lips as you explore the many nuances it provides. the better ports hide the 20% alcohol so well you'll wonder if there is any alcohol in it at all, until your eyelids begin to droop and and a feeling of warmth comes over you like a soft blanket.

hit me up with a PM if you need links to these wines.

enjoy,
thinman

Easy7

Veteran
Old vine zinfandel by Gnarly Head, about $12 and very good wine from 60year old vines in Cali.

T

TREE KING

Tree King, if you haven't drank PORT wines, i'd suggest you try it. Quinta makes a "medium dry" Ruby and Tawny which are very nice, and not expensive. i personally enjoy a glass of Tawney almost every evening as a desert. the thing i like about port is that the quality does not change from bottle to bottle like still wines. because port is a blended wine, the master wine maker can keep the overall quality the same year after year. most ports are around 20% alcohol.

most people find port to be too sweet, and it is very sweet, but you don't drink large amounts usually. with port wine its all about the incredible flavors you can find. as an every day port i like Sandeman Tawney. i actually prefer their Tawney over their Reserve. the Tawney is about $17. as i mentioned Quinta makes a Ruby and a Tawney that are medium dry---not so sweet.

Shina's from Australia makes a very affordable Shiraz, $17... that is very good called "The Guilty".

California is home of great Zinfandels these days. Four Vines "Biker" is a good one for under $20.

i would advise you to not equate price with quality. i have paid a lot of money for a bottle of swill, and have truly enjoyed some wines for under $20...

the other thing i like about the port wines is that they don't need to be decanted, and the bottle will last for a week to 10 days without losing its character.

if you try a port, just take iddy-biddy sips and try to coat your mouth--upper palate, under the tongue---then a nice slow swallow while keeping your mouth closed. the entry is sweet, then the layers of flavors compete for dominance. the finish can be long and delicious. port usually doesn't have a lot of "mouth feel" (tannins and acids), but you'll find some hints of black pepper and shoe leather in the Sandeman Tawney that i find enchanting. port will have you smacking your lips as you explore the many nuances it provides. the better ports hide the 20% alcohol so well you'll wonder if there is any alcohol in it at all, until your eyelids begin to droop and and a feeling of warmth comes over you like a soft blanket.

hit me up with a PM if you need links to these wines.

enjoy,
thinman

port wines huh sounds interesting. im definitely gonna give these a try thanks for all the recommendations thinman

L

lordofthenugz

Get an Italian Super Tuscan. Best all around reds for both taste and buzz. Decent ones can be had for $12 a bottle and up.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
French burgundy. It's (usually) pinot noir. You can get a nice bottle for $20. For $30 you might be able to get a premier cru(still burgundy, just a classification based on quality).
If you don't have a wine shop just stick to california pinot noir(more fruit forward) or a spanish tempranillo(jammy and spicy) both of which you should be able to find in a supermarket.

Joseph drouhin and albert bichot are decent french producers, but you may have to settle for good ol louis jadot... As far as spain, borsao makes great reds for a decent cost. Spain is where the value is; great great wine for very little money...

A french burgundy is ALWAYS pinot noir

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want good red, grenache is king if you ask me. Velvety jammy fruit forward and a long finish. Spanish "granacha" can be too oaky but its still usually awesome. California grenache always kills it though. Groundwork amd ojai vineyard grenache are bomb and fair price. 20-30ish bucks.

Latest posts

Latest posts