What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Red Wine, cheap and not?

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
There's this great winery in So Cal that has awesome port. It's ~$90 per bottle but it has everything, to me. Their 2005 syrah is my second fav. We saved a bottle and they've sold out of it. I'm tempted to drink it! Their wines aren't available anywhere besides their estate store. There are plenty of good red wines for the price range you're looking at. Just try whatever sounds good to you the next time you're in the store. When I see a Bordeaux on sale or an inexpensive Pinot Noir I go for it.

eastbeast

Go to local tastings. Trying a bunch of wines side by side is the best way to get a feel for what you like and dislike, not to mention you get to try a bunch of expensive shit without actually buying a bottle. It's also an enjoyable way to spend an evening or something to do when you're out on a date.

The holy trinity:

Fine Wine
Fine Weed
Fine Women(no offense ladies)

Terroir

Sweet and good wine dont really go together unless you are drinking gewurztraminer or riesling. Desert wines as well. These are white wines.

For reds. You cant go past a good Barossa Valley Shiraz from Australia. Very big, loud wines with full fruit flavors. You should find some very very drinkable ones in the 30-40 dollar basket.

Another variety is Durif which is quite rare but is even bigger than shiraz.

Straight Grenache wines again from australia are like drinking strawberry lolly water in my opinion. They are not sweet but thats the taste that i can get.

And then you have your fortified wines. Port is the favourite of the older drinking gentle man. I love port but only on occasion as it has the ability to turn you into a dirty old wino. If you ever get the chance to drink a nice port like seppeltsfield 100 year old (thats right 100 years in a barrel) which will set you back about a grand for a small flask you just have a teaspoon and let i coat your mouth. It is the most amazing thing you could ever taste. Even better is a spoon or 2 on a small bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Terroir

When I see a Bordeaux on sale or an inexpensive Pinot Noir I go for it.

Problem with inexpensive pinot noir, expensive pinot noir and Burgndy's is 90% of it is shit. Seriously. Growing pinot is like growing long flowering sativa. Its hard to do it well. I shudder at some of the tripe i have drunk and at some of the good stuff i shudder at the price. Its like a labor of love with no payday at the end. Pinot is my choice.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
imagining wine bag parties at Bear's... :)

imagining wine bag parties at Bear's... :)

There's this great winery in So Cal that has awesome port. It's ~$90 per bottle but it has everything, to me.

Only experience I ever had with port was Gallo (lol). It was ~$1.69 a gallon in the 1970s. My buddy opened a bar and delicatessen and sold this ghastly concoction called "wine sunrise". Gallo port, orange juice and a swig of grenadine. Very disgusting but I bet the good port is worth the experience.

As for reds, anybody allow them to "breathe" before serving? I've heard even cheap reds are better if allowed to breathe.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Terroir, that may be true..but most of the ones I find are drinkable so I use them in coq au vin or dishes requiring red wine.

I found a $20 port ("Noval" Black) that is pretty good. Not as good as the $90 stuff, but good enough for me to get it now and then when I need a porto fix.

What's weird is that when I go to the wine tasting they have an aerator that is on the bottle's mouth. The wine that they pour is so...aromatic, its taste is 3x better than when I pour mine at home, even with my aerator.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Ah, cooking with wine. That brings up another experience with my mom's cooking Sherry...

That shit was worse than Kaopectate.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Nothing wrong with a nice Syrah from California. Not to be confused with Petite Sirah, which I believe is the Durif Terroir mentioned.

Malbec from Chile in another good one to try.

Terroir

Just get the wine that comes in a box. Shits not to shabby. Pull it out of the box and play slap the bag with friends, or by yourself...

[youtubeif]812HHetzbe4[/youtubeif]

Mmm GOON. Thats what we call box wine. And the bag. Well after getting nice and drunk by the fire on the beach on surfing trips as a teen we would blow the bag up and play a proper game of tackle goonball.

supermanlives

Veteran
mad dog 20/20 lol. i have taken boxed wine on kayak trips and hiking. if out of box it travels well.there was no boxed wine when i was a teenager.

Terroir

Some of the Chilean reds are pretty good.
I cracked a 2006 Casillero del Diablo Merlot last weekend to enjoy with some fresh venison steaks that was fantastic.

I was at a food convention in Sydney last year and there were a stack of chillean wines. Wow. None were cheap but they tasted amazing (50-100 dollar price point wines)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

these were pretty popular back in the 70's, we'd load our bota's for skiing, concerts, car rallies. sometimes worn openly and other times stashed under jackets etc.......

botabag.jpg

BudToaster

Veteran
i'm with BroBear ... Corbet Canyon Merlot, 3 ltr box, $10.08 with tax, once a week ... i have to think about recycling and cardboard is easier to recycle than all those glass bottles.

T

toughmudderdave

2 buc chuck ,cant go wrong

Ummm...no. I've had the 2 buck chuck....no

The Gallo Pinot can be had for $7 dollars per 1.5 liter bottle and it's a very decent table wine. I'm having some right now.

Latest posts

Latest posts