What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Mini-Split AC Question

yerboyblue

Just bought this bad boy, http://www.friedrich.com/products/residential/window/breeze

It is a DIY install, with pre-charged line set, and a quick connect. The line set and wires all come with it. I picked up the 24k btu for 2k$ to my door. Not as cheap as the Mitsubishi out-right but when you price in installation it is.

Anyway when it comes this week I'll update on the install.

The other thing about this company is I believe they have operations ie call centers in the us and replacement parts are available through hvac and industrial supply store who have chains all over.

Where did you get yours from? The link provided just had a dealer locator. Sorry I keep asking the same questions everyone.

G

Guest 18340

Where did you guys purchase your mini-split systems? I have looked at go-ductless but am unsure due to some reviews.
I bought 2 units from them and a buddy also ordered from them. Solid service for me and delivered on time.

well forgive me for not reading all immediately, but have a portable now and thinking of a mini-split, but is there any way to put that on a timer? Don't need it too cool all the time, just cool enough. thanks

yerboyblue

well forgive me for not reading all immediately, but have a portable now and thinking of a mini-split, but is there any way to put that on a timer? Don't need it too cool all the time, just cool enough. thanks

They pretty much all have built in timers, but I also believe the thermostat in them provides a more accurate read so it will cool to the desired temp better. I realize your portable is probably set to the lowest temp in order to just get by (I know, I have a couple) so it runs ALL the time and gets too cold when the lights are off. Even my window shakers are pretty good at shutting off when they are supposed to, after relocating the thermometer off of the front.

I see and yet I am blind! :D A little of both I am afraid!
Yes the portable just gets by and barely does the job but the built in timer just goes for 1 hour and it never seems to get down to the thermostat temp since it is not cooling the grow room but the room the air is intaked from, a cooler but larger room. So I still have yet to realize all the wisdom in your post but sure you are smarter than me so thanks!

Good find Whodare definitely let us know how it works out. The site says that you can take it with you when you move.

Do you know if it is possible to disconnect it and reconnect it without recharging with refrigerant?

Anyone know if you can do this with an ideal air or frost box unit?

It would be nice to be able to do this for moving or when winter comes you could run it inside to heat the building.

yerboyblue

Good find Whodare definitely let us know how it works out. The site says that you can take it with you when you move.

Do you know if it is possible to disconnect it and reconnect it without recharging with refrigerant?

Anyone know if you can do this with an ideal air or frost box unit?

It would be nice to be able to do this for moving or when winter comes you could run it inside to heat the building.

I ordered one of those Friedrichs from the same spot as Whodare (thanks whodare). I watched the install video and it looked like the lines hooked up, then you opened a valve on the line. Logically seems like you would only have to shut off the valves in order to move it, but I could be wrong. Hopefully I won't be moving any time soon so don't have to find out lol! I'm sure if you called them it wouldn't take long to find out the info and you would be 100% sure. Maybe someone has experience moving one with precharged lines tho?

yerboyblue

And the Ideal Air units are the same DIY way with the precharged lines, but the friedrich has a heat pump feature and a higher SEER rating for barely that much more.

yerboyblue

Do the Idea and frost box units Heat and dehumidify?

The Ideals I looked at didn't have a heat pump. I called my hydro store and they said Ideal had a heat pump option, but called me back and said Ideal put a stop order on them because of a wiring issue.

BigForest

The Ideals I looked at didn't have a heat pump. I called my hydro store and they said Ideal had a heat pump option, but called me back and said Ideal put a stop order on them because of a wiring issue.

So Fredrichs or Mitsu's or Ymgi???????????????????

yerboyblue

I didn't do any research on the YMGI just caz people said they were cheap. The Ideals are cheap, but they have a 1 year parts warranty. Plus I can just get it at the hydro store, so if something goes wrong, well getting parts would be simple and quick and I don't have to make a ton of calls.

whodare

Veteran
Ok I got my friedrich breeze DIY unit yesterday and did the install.

Awesome!

Definetly a two man job but I did manage it by myself(i have years of carpentry experience, not recommended for the average DIY guy.) it took about 2 hours for me but with two people (and a clean workspace)you could likely have it done in an hour.

The quick connect is really nice and it looks like you will not loose refrigerant when disconnecting.

The unit runs stupid quiet outside, the only noise is air blowing, and inside it blasts nice ice cold air.

Pics up later.

bogfan

The Frostbox does not heat and does not have a dehumidify function, but it has a condensation lne so it must dehumidify some, but I have no idea how much. I have a dehuey in the room.

BldSwtTrs

***Does anybody know if you can put the condenser unit in a attic? I imagine the temperatures would be slightly warmer than outside in the summer and slightly warmer than outside in the winter. I am really considering running one of these if that is the case...

yerboyblue

***Does anybody know if you can put the condenser unit in a attic? I imagine the temperatures would be slightly warmer than outside in the summer and slightly warmer than outside in the winter. I am really considering running one of these if that is the case...

You could but I feel like it would basically defeat the purpose of a mini split. It would be like putting in a window unit that exhausts into the house. I wouldn't be too worried about putting a condenser outside. If it's running during the winter, "That's just the heat pump."

If you really must conceal it, a well ventilated shed outside would be much more efficient for the system than the attic.