What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best frankincense smelling strain you can buy now?

led05

Chasing The Present
I share your passion of Frankincense, the best smoke of my life is / was Frankies a NYC Haze from Washington heights

What is the genetics ? or what strain ? from where ? was your 1980's Frankincense mother

Best wishes

1luvbigherb

Near Every MH & most NH I grow out have it, very strong too, lingers in the room for 30 mins plus after smoking, my wife's mother always asked me if I was burning the herb from church when she enters the garage.., seeds acquired from Shanti/Nev mid to late 2000's range, maybe I got lucky with the stock, heard it's not as reliable as it used to be... as someone said before, it's the smell of the smoke only and it's a dead ringer for church ( especially Eastern Orthodox) incense, once you smell it you know it, for life

I use all organics, LED, HPS & med grade uvb lamps, these all together seems to pump terps... both in cured material smell in jar and enhance frankincense smell when burnt but it needs to be in the genes to begin with

I OP with the best back in 2010, have plenty, the MNS hazes def have it, at least what those guys sent me

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
I am growing ACE panama for the first time and, no idea why, but 6 weeks into flower and my Panama 3 has a total frankincense smell. I could not believe it! It's my holy grail terp! Hopefully it stays that way! Anyone else find this with Panama?

I've been growing out the Panama for 5+ years, various versions, hundreds of plants, lemon funk but nothing like frankincense, ever, fwiw.... its absolutely a true old school haze characteristic or lineage of these sacred plants, IMO

nksv

I've been growing out the Panama for 5+ years, various versions, hundreds of plants, lemon funk but nothing like frankincense, ever, fwiw.... its absolutely a true old school haze characteristic or lineage of these sacred plants, IMO

it didn't last unfort, but it was really strong for a couple of days, but that was it. new to the panama but loving it immensely!

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a cross i made where all the good phenos leave an amazing incense smell that lingers in the air... IDK if its frankincense ive never been to a Catholic church :laughing: but 100% incense when burned.

Half the plants kinda suck and never ripen, the good ones flower for 15-26 weeks and all throw late nanners, but the smell it leaves in the air is to die for and the clear headed ceilingless high is pretty great too

Spaventa

Veteran
I have a cross i made where all the good phenos leave an amazing incense smell that lingers in the air... IDK if its frankincense ive never been to a Catholic church :laughing: but 100% incense when burned.

Half the plants kinda suck and never ripen, the good ones flower for 15-26 weeks and all throw late nanners, but the smell it leaves in the air is to die for and the clear headed ceilingless high is pretty great too

Nice. Id love to try some of your beans if you feel like letting her travel. Sounds like breeding stock to me :tiphat:

Spaventa

Veteran
Genetics??

@Spaventa if you are willing to wait 20w then you have to try Sam's Hazes! :)

I will, one day. These kind of plants are meant to be grown under the sun and I plan to do just that. I plan to get myself a small place at 42N just for chilling and growing Haze. Best part is its legal to grow for personal there and only an hour or 2 and maybe £50 fair away... entender?

Unlike other Brits, I have dual citizenship due to my father being an EU member resident so even after Brexit, I will still have freedom of movement and rights in Spain under my EU citizenship through my dad. Property there is crashing cos Brits are bailing so its bargain time too :biggrin:

george.loo

I also bought such seeds but I do not remember where I bought it. I will try to find notes from someone you can buy. I like that now I can buy them on the Internet and the postman will bring them to my home. Only the main thing is to check the zip code on https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/west-virginia It's a convenient site that would determine your exact zip code. Because I did not check it before and I lost a couple of purchases at the post office

OldCoolSativa

I've read pretty much everything I can find on the subject. The frankincense trait shows up in some haze phenos and has always been a rare trait. The evidence shows that it used to be easier to find the frankincense trait, and that haze hybrids in general are not as potent they were 20 or 30 years ago. The frankincense trait tends to be more associated with Haze A more than Haze C-only, which explains why Neville's Haze (Nl5HzA x HzC) is mentioned so often. Not coincidentally, the Haze A male died ~20? years ago.

Regarding the NYC piff and the Dominican syndicate that was running the entire vertical operation, I would bet it was an Nl5HzA pheno. Nevil used to sell custom seed orders in large lots for large sums of cash back in the day to high-end customers, and I bet the Dominicans got some Haze A and C crosses from Nevil's Seed Bank. I expect that some enterprising Dominicans worked some of Nevil's magic beans in the 1988-1991 timeframe and pheno hunted through a large enough selection to find something that was both special and commercially viable. They then created and cornered the market. Brilliant. If you read the court records of the bust that broke that operation up about 15 years ago they were growing indoors in Florida, not in greenhouses. The timing all fits - that was around the time reports came in that the piff had dried up.

I think Haze A is the key to a good frankie pheno. Neville's Haze, A5 cut, Mango Haze & Inbred, NHM, and anything in the MNS stable that uses the AfHz male. Angel's Breathe is the highest (37.5%) Haze A strain MNS has and my current AB grow has a lot of leathery haze smell going on. I selected a haze-leaning male and will make a bunch of F2s. Two thirds of the phenos will be Haze A dominant.

Of course it'd be a lot quicker to get a 5A cut. They are reported to exist in the south of Holland.

Spaventa

Veteran
I've read pretty much everything I can find on the subject. The frankincense trait shows up in some haze phenos and has always been a rare trait. The evidence shows that it used to be easier to find the frankincense trait, and that haze hybrids in general are not as potent they were 20 or 30 years ago. The frankincense trait tends to be more associated with Haze A more than Haze C-only, which explains why Neville's Haze (Nl5HzA x HzC) is mentioned so often. Not coincidentally, the Haze A male died ~20? years ago.

Regarding the NYC piff and the Dominican syndicate that was running the entire vertical operation, I would bet it was an Nl5HzA pheno. Nevil used to sell custom seed orders in large lots for large sums of cash back in the day to high-end customers, and I bet the Dominicans got some Haze A and C crosses from Nevil's Seed Bank. I expect that some enterprising Dominicans worked some of Nevil's magic beans in the 1988-1991 timeframe and pheno hunted through a large enough selection to find something that was both special and commercially viable. They then created and cornered the market. Brilliant. If you read the court records of the bust that broke that operation up about 15 years ago they were growing indoors in Florida, not in greenhouses. The timing all fits - that was around the time reports came in that the piff had dried up.

I think Haze A is the key to a good frankie pheno. Neville's Haze, A5 cut, Mango Haze & Inbred, NHM, and anything in the MNS stable that uses the AfHz male. Angel's Breathe is the highest (37.5%) Haze A strain MNS has and my current AB grow has a lot of leathery haze smell going on. I selected a haze-leaning male and will make a bunch of F2s. Two thirds of the phenos will be Haze A dominant.

Of course it'd be a lot quicker to get a 5A cut. They are reported to exist in the south of Holland.

typo right? you meant A5 :) Great post, thanks for the tips :tiphat:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

What i read about the A5 cut is that it is called the Diesel cut and you have the A5 Mango.Someone else mentioned that C5Hz is responsible for the Frankincense trait.

From MNS

I started growing the OShazes in the early 90's
@ that time they have been circulating in the south of holland since the late 80's in a select group of haze lovers.
The A5 diesel pheno got very populair during the mid and late 90's in the rest of holland for it was the strongest strain that could be found @ that time, prior to the amnesia strains and other very potent killer strains you see nowa days.
The A5 was a very stoney strain but was also a rocket launching trip weed. stoned and tripping high in the same strain, the most heavy weed that was around, unbelievable for people that never smoked it before, i've seen people doing very weird shit after smoking that strain, like walking around the same building for 2 straight hours, he got so stoned after a few hits he had to walk it of. Another friend after having 2 drags(!) from a spliff went to the hospital cause he thought he was going to die...
Due to its potency it was getting very very populair, even with people that never actually smoked or grown it.
and so the A5 was being sold in more and more CS's in holland but i doubt it if it really was the A5 strain. It became more of a brand name instead of the original thing. The same thing happened to alot of populair strains like white widow etc... That why i doubt it if these CS's you mention really do have the A5 haze...
I grew the A5 haze untill 9 years ago when the mother plant died and nobody in my circle had it anymore. A pity yes... however i dindn't like to smoke the strain so much personaly cause of the strong stony high. I smoke every day and love to smoke lots of herb and for that reason i prefered to grow the more friendly high strains such as the C5 haze and the HPH haze. But of course now from time to time i miss the A5, a speacially when my back is killing me after a hard day of work. For medical users the A5 would be a super strain, in my oppinion.
The other OSH like the CG13 and the AG13 also got lost.
There seems to be a very small group of haze lovers around breda that still have these hazes but i haven't been able to get into contact with them to verify the authenticity of the strains.
anyways the strains that shanti is breeding at the moment are plants that do carry the same genes in them as these OSH but are different strains for they are made out of different seeds in a different time and crossed with other strains.
they are however connected with eachother but not as direct father or mother more as the grandparents of grandparents of shanti's breedings, witch are really high quality strains. I just finished my first neville haze grow from shanti's breedings, witch also was one of the OSH, and i must say that the new version is slightly different then the OS version but they both are super lovely strains, very special and you won't find it anywhere else then here, with MSN.
That is how i became a member here, in my quest for regaining the A5 haze i found the Mr Nice seeds hazes and to this day it makes me a very happy man.
I hope this will answer yr question properly.

Spaventa

Veteran
It wasn't rare trait at all in GHS Nevilles Haze around 2005/6 - it was in every girl in the pack and i mean LOUD musky frankincense that left the room smelling like leathery, woody church heaven. It had tropical flower/forrest top notes. Light green plant, compact encrusted diamond shaped buds on just a few well developed sites. 13 point pencil thin leaves. Id be tempted to do bad things to have her back.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
It wasn't rare trait at all in GHS Nevilles Haze around 2005/6 - it was in every girl in the pack and i mean LOUD musky frankincense that left the room smelling like leathery, woody church heaven. It had tropical flower/forrest top notes. Light green plant, compact encrusted diamond shaped buds on just a few well developed sites. 13 point pencil thin leaves. Id be tempted to do bad things to have her back.

But is that still today, that you can find in every pack Neville's Hz from GHS, the Frankincense trait? That's the big question.

Jhonny

What i read about the A5 cut is that it is called the Diesel cut and you have the A5 Mango.

I have smoked the real A5 for at least 10 years and it never looked nor smelled like a Diesel. Im pretty sure it had no Skunk at all in it. The buds had a dark green color and were very bad looking compared to other Hazes. Because of it's look (and high price) it was not very popular in dutch CS's.

C5 was also available during the same time. It had slightly better bag appeal and it's incense was more lemony and not so strong. The same type of incense you can find in SSH, Amnesia etc. but in a purer form.

The buds of both did look like landraces compared to todays standards.

I sometimes do think the A5 cut, I read on the forums have to be a fake. The few pics of A5 buds I have seen do look to good to be true and the reviews are not clear enough.

Smoking A5 is like inhaling pure leathery incense with some woody and churchy notes in it. One of the plants producing the strongest incense ever. But no frankincense.

Jhonny

It wasn't rare trait at all in GHS Nevilles Haze around 2005/6 - it was in every girl in the pack and i mean LOUD musky frankincense that left the room smelling like leathery, woody church heaven.

I always read "leave the room smelling like incense".

And the mouth? :)

I ask because most of the Hazes nowadays that make the room smell of incense, do not really make the mouth taste like incense.

I want to taste it in my mouth and not in the room!

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
But is that still today, that you can find in every pack Neville's Hz from GHS, the Frankincense trait? That's the big question.

NO, there is NONE of this trait in current fem line - I've tried 2 pacs, one in 2015 and this year and nothing in any of them. The plants are bullshit in all other regards too - growth, bud structure are crap now. loose airy buds no frankincense at all.

I suspect they lost the Haze males. I believe they were the secret to offspring with the trait. I believe the trait is lost without those males as fathers and thats why the fem lines don't have it.

I have some old Sag Western winds I'm going to F2 to find a male of my own, hopefully with that trait to pass on.

Jhonny- Smell is the biggest component of taste :)

mexcurandero420

Veteran
NO, there is NONE of this trait in current fem line - I've tried 2 pacs, one in 2015 and this year and nothing in any of them. The plants are bullshit in all other regards too - growth, bud structure are crap now. loose airy buds no frankincense at all.

I suspect they lost the Haze males. I believe they were the secret to offspring with the trait. I believe the trait is lost without those males as fathers and thats why the fem lines don't have it.

I have some old Sag Western winds I'm going to F2 to find a male of my own, hopefully with that trait to pass on.

Jhonny- Smell is the biggest component of taste :)

Thnx for the info :yes:

M

maliali

In Moonshine Haze u will find many C5 smells (citrus incense.)
For incense go on Sensi Seeds and White label. This is the company i found most incense phenos of all i grow. 1 pheno of White Widow White label lots of guys think that is its haze it was smell and taste like incense,musky,lemony pine. Very good also in skunk kush from sensi i found 1 incense pheno straight Frankincense. Also in Silver haze and NL5haze from sensi lots of incense phenos. For cheese phenos grow sensi skunk. I dont know people nowdays are say that sensi and white label are shit but i dont know which seeds they grow. Everithing i grew from them it is good. Also the Flying dutchman seeds. I think u will found lots of incense phenos in these seeds. Maybe people want that names nowdays in super skunk from sensi wl u will find lots of cheese phenos but lots of people nowdays want that their strain is called cheese,Lamborghini,bugatti and that names...Sensi,WL,TFD is NO1 for that frankeincese smells try their hazes and always take 1 pack more. Also in Soma seeds Amnesia Haze which is S1 of core cut x g13haze also very unique incense smells like incense musky oregeno rosemary my personal favorite on 12+ weeks phenos. This is what i knew for incense.