What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best frankincense smelling strain you can buy now?

A

AVOH

The problem is that the "Incense" trait is so diluted nowadays, that most of the time, when it's there, you can smell it in the room but not in the mouth and if you can taste it, that incense flavor is not strong enough. That's probably why it so difficult for some people to identify that kind of haze smell.

Another problem is that many people are not able to distinguish the Haze A and Haze C type of incense aromas, which are mix up in almost all the haze hybrids these days.

But the main problem is that the dominating "Haze" scent seems as good as extincted in modern MJ and no one of the breeders seems to be really willing to bring it back. The few that I know are just working with a single seed, they found in frankincense smelling buds.

Regarding Sam's Haze crosses: they have been done with his Haze mother and are more on the peppery side of the things, like his Original Haze line. Very incensey in the air and in the mouth, different from Haze A and Haze C, but the incense trait is by far more pronounced that in all the Haze C only hybrids I have ever tried.

I'm not good at decribing aromas, but for me:

• Haze A hybrids had the frankincense haze type of aromas and were more piney
  • Haze C hybrids have the lemony type of incense aromas
  • Sam's Haze crosses, very strong oldschool peppery incense aromas. In his crosses you will find the biggest variation of incense smells. Most will be peppery, but you will find some that are more floral, piney, lemony, earthy, churchy etc

Out of 3 seeds of the 90s haze one had a lemon smell
My keeper has no lemon to it just straight loud pine, cat piss and haze.
Im also running simply irresistible and csg old school haze
They both have the straight chruch insense smell

A

AVOH

I still stand behind Barney's grinspoon being a long lost decendent of that old skool Dutch haze. I've got a special pheno that is the closest thing to that old skool haze I've ever found.

For the record the pheno I have I have never seen anyone else get.

Bro we get it
We got it about 50 mentions and 3 screen names ago lol
Why dont you put that plant to good use and spread it out
So we can preserve that special plant
I mean its all love right?

there is one site on the internet... it is a sharebase for mushroom spores... its all for free. You send your 10 sporeprints and can take spreprints from other people. all trust basis but it works wonderful!
We need THIS!!! ok if you don´t make enough money with weed already.. really..
This would revolutionize the world of cannabis...
You write a description and send 100 seeds in and everybody else can. and everybody is allowed to "wish" some strains, as long as the seeds are aviable you get limited mount. only money you would have to send in is shipping fee...
everybody sending 1000seeds in , can get a free t-shirt or stuff...
just dreaming

A

AVOH

Tell us more about that 90s haze that isn't lmao

How would you know what is and whats not?
Brother characteristic expressions show up in different plants!
The same way you got lucky with your suedo verified plant
Maybe you should be in some sort of hall of fame for having the ONLY
Incenses smelling haze on the plant

All hail pepe!

Spaventa

Veteran
Like I've said, Ive found hints of it in several strains and found respectable amounts in a couple of plants Ive come across but NOTHING I would rate higher than 4 out of 10 compared to what was my first real find, that was 10 out of 10 - Nevilles Haze from GHS. I bought I pack of 10 in 2003. This was before fems. I got 7 females. All solid, not a single nana. finished at 13 weeks cleanly. Buds were quite dense in compact formations like diamonds. plants were light green, sparse leafed christmas trees.

Smell when burning was LOUD church frankincense with notes of tropical flowers. The incense aroma was so musky, woody it was almost nauseating. I hesitate to make this reference but one or two of the plants were so musky and funky it was like wet pussy. I apologise in advance if thats offensive. Some had a note of butter warmed in a pan behind leathery, woody notes but ALL had that depth and clarity that filled the room and and drew people to it wide eyed.

Nothing Ive ever grown of smoked since has even been comparable. Biggest regret in growing was not keeping one. Not joking, if I wind myself up about it I could get fucking miserable.

A

AVOH

Like I've said, Ive found hints of it in several strains and found respectable amounts in a couple of plants Ive come across but NOTHING I would rate higher than 4 out of 10 compared to what was my first real find, that was 10 out of 10 - Nevilles Haze from GHS. I bought I pack of 10 in 2003. This was before fems. I got 7 females. All solid, not a single nana. finished at 13 weeks cleanly. Buds were quite dense in compact formations like diamonds. plants were light green, sparse leafed christmas trees.

Smell when burning was LOUD church frankincense with notes of tropical flowers. The incense aroma was so musky, woody it was almost nauseating. I hesitate to make this reference but one or two of the plants were so musky and funky it was like wet pussy. I apologise in advance if thats offensive. Some had a note of butter warmed in a pan behind leathery, woody notes but ALL had that depth and clarity that filled the room and and drew people to it wide eyed.

Nothing Ive ever grown of smoked since has even been comparable. Biggest regret in growing was not keeping one. Not joking, if I wind myself up about it I could get fucking miserable.

I feel you my brother
But trust me when one door closes another one opens
Just like the open galaxy we are surrounded by around us
They is so much more to find

Jhonny

We are in the same boat. Like thousends of other people.

But If you ask me, I think that we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We just would need more of these hippies who breed for the community and not for money or for their ego.

NH is the closest I've tasted to our NYC Haze , none of the Adam CS Haze holds a candle or comes close to the Haze I know

Cannot remember when I got my last really good Haze in a CS. Probably 15 years ago...

From what I Recall Unc Ys has mentioned the HzA has no soft or sweet notes about it no lemon or pine straight leather basement Incense

"straight leather basement Incense" is what describes that HzA scents the best yes :good:

Jhonny

Out of 3 seeds of the 90s haze one had a lemon smell
My keeper has no lemon to it just straight loud pine, cat piss and haze.
Im also running simply irresistible and csg old school haze
They both have the straight chruch insense smell

Im not a friend of these kind of crosses, would prefer true breeding or S1's but it's better than nothing.

mctasty

Hi, theres no mystery to it :) the aroma of incense, musky sandalwood or "church" TO THE SMOKE ...is a plant characteristic. It has nothing to do with outdoor or indoor growing because Ive had it from both and the most was from indoor grown Nevilles Haze from GHS in 2003. I grew them in canna soil with Canna nutrients. All 7 girls from 10 seeds had ridiculous amount of pungent room filling incense funk to the smoke.

Ive had LOADS of outdoor grown weed back in my younger days, brought here in bulk from spain and NONE of it had connoisseur incense funk to the smoke. I smoked the local weed in fiji, outdoor grown and that had a bit, not as much but some. Its genetic. I wondered if its soil/organic but its not that either cos i got in lemon haze done in hydro, i got in a uk clone called KrissKross in hydro.

I personally believe that what I'm talking about is "Haze". I know many disagree and would call many plants, that lack the special incense quality, "Haze". I would just call them Sativa or sativa dominant. The smell Im talking about literally comes from the smoky "Haze" that hangs in the air wherever the buds are burned. When you know it, its unmistakeable and irresistible. This is the weed people smell burning at a party and flock towards. as soon as you light up, people are rubber necking.

I agree, I have had people bring me " Haze" but to me it is not Haze just a Sativa. Haze is a trait.

Spaventa

Veteran
I agree, I have had people bring me " Haze" but to me it is not Haze just a Sativa. Haze is a trait.

hehe thats exactly what i say about them - they are sativas, not Haze :)

I think that the aromas we are talking about here are what originally defined the name Haze. I believe they may have even called it Haze because fills the room with a haze of terpenes and flavonoids like no other. Somehow that incense haze funk lingers and stays rich and hangs in the air like a haze.
Im into talking about this stuff cos Ihave 3 90s Haze and a Nevilles Haze drying. I'm hoping theres going to be some of that Haze fogging up my place in the next few days. I have an Amnesia I'm about to harvest but I've already been prepared for disappointment with that. looks way too indica to be hazy to me. looks good though lol

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the haze name, I came to think of it as wispy buds that left you in a haze or fog. Not an indica fog which slows you down, a fuzzy and nice place, like after it snows and all is calm.

I am smoking some Colombian Gold '72 and expected incense smells but not really getting them. Back in '79 I got some CG and it smelled of cedar and after being smoked maybe frankincense or sandalwood. This '72 I grew is much better than the Colombian of '79 in the high. They picked it early though with white small seeds in it.

Not sure if people are looking for the frankincense or incense smell or the soaring high associated with that, or both. I care very little about the taste, it is all in the high for me. If it tastes bad, well that is a bummer but bland works.

nksv

Update on the Panama frankincense...yeah, the smell didn't last. haha. Bummer but for a little while it was bang on frankincense. I would know as I am god damn astral clearing frankincense smudging nerd mystic!

Jhonny

Not sure if people are looking for the frankincense or incense smell or the soaring high associated with that, or both. I care very little about the taste, it is all in the high for me. If it tastes bad, well that is a bummer but bland works.

I think most of us are just after the haze taste and frankincense is probably one of the best variations of it.
The high is important too for sure. That's one of the reasons I said I would prefer true breeding or at least S1's of the frankincense females instead of crosses between Haze hybrids.

If you primarily are after the high, but also want that incensey haze smell, then there are no doubts: Sam's Haze hybrids are the way to go.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
Good news today :) the clone fairy is on its way to me from Amsterdam no less with S5 Haze, G13 Haze and Ghost Train Haze. Any experience with these? do they have it?

CanadaDank

White Buffalo Seeds breeds very incensey strains with their male Seedsman Haze. Something like Roberts Creek Congo (Black Congo) x Original Haze would do it. Check out their gear.

Latest posts

Latest posts