What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best coco Nutrient? Advanced, Canna, OR H&G

pico

Veteran
Pico,

I was wondering why you stopped using the H&G shooting powder, top booster, and drip clean? You seemed to switch to the AN line for your PK boosters. Any particuliar reason?

Well, I wasn't really having any problems, I just was tired of buying a hundred little tiny packets of shooting powder. They really should make a tub of the stuff. I had a tub of the Advanced Nutrients Big Bud lying around here and I decided to give it a shot. The combo of Aqua Flakes, Cal Mag+, Liquid Karma, and Big Bud for budding seems to work pretty damn well for my current strain. I bought the Overdrive since that seems to be what everyone running Big Bud finishes with.

Hard to say really, but I like the Big Bud. Too early to tell on the Overdrive, I didn't use very much last round so I didn't notice anything crazy happening. I never noticed anything crazy happening with the Shooting Powder either.....

I do know that the nutrient regime I have cooked up with my setup and the strain I am running is working very well and everything is extremely healthy, so that is what I look for. Also, I don't ever need to pH my water, that is big for me.

pico

cronicle

BIG MIKE,really bigmouth mike talks alot and about stuff we as growers can figure out on their own,calling out companys for a challange and making a ass out of himself.I used the line when it first came out and it showed some size then when I gave it the ax about a week later shrunk back to where I was with other products,no notice in size to be stoaked with!yeah its the newjacks shelling out the doe to bring heat to the trade to fuck shit up some stores keep an in the back to keep the heat low.YEA I even went for the hype twice but not a third some canadian companys are just shaddy them selfs so they can stay up above me praying on our dollar to fund thier bs.Some of these seed sellers are just bong shops looking to cash in. And fuck mark emery delt with them personally in 97 and stlill got way less quality then Adam they lucky I did not slap them on my return

W

W.P.

I really like your thoroughness in your decision making.

I just had a question about flavor of H&G compared to something with guano ?

I ran foxfarm base in rec. F&D (hydrotron)for years and switched to Advanced Gold almost 2 years ago and I cant decide if i like it. Grows easy never a deficiency, Ph is easy. Just think flavor is missing something (vs), and a little more leafy...

Ever run anything with poop? vs flavor?

And im all so going to runnig coco/perlite ( in 3 gall bags) , for first time so your saying i could get the Aqua flakes for table and coco ?

Thanks

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Grown in coco with GH Flora line nutrients and with MiracleGro (Miracid and MiracleGro Tomato Plant Food) and obtained fantastic results both ways.

After years of growing I am not convinced that spending serious cake on hydroponic amendments will produce buddage more cost-efficiently than by using those things you can take right off the shelf at your local Walmart nursery or Home Depot. This suggests to me that a lot of the claims by the vendors are just marketing and advertising to sell their products.

It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive, it just has to work.

onegreenday

Veteran
I grew with the full Canna line and the bud was no better than
the bud we grew before hydro nut's and the Canna company started.
I see no advantage to all this stuff.

I'm moving to a reductionist method and the simplest green methods
possible;

like the Afghan farmer with 10' tall plants saying 'you should see myharvest when I have real fertilizer he said.

Don't tell me the fert companies have reached the Afghani farmers also.....
Oh LORDY!!!!!!

im actually thinking maxi bloom might be the best value, very simple to use and i like the idea of no more spillage. more u grow more u want tidy n clean performance, dry food eliminates that and its a one part.. im learing just how fast nutes go, why pay for part water?

djslife

For the bodybuilding weed growers out there,

Advanced Nutrients is to the plant growing industry as

Muscle Tech is to the bodybuilding industry

-djslife

C

Carl Carlson

If you're not going to literally mix your own nutrients from scratch, than all hydro growers would be better off with Peters Professional Hydro (5-11-26) + Calcium Nitrate. The combination is 1/8th the cost of liquid, bottled nutes and the combined N-P-K-Ca ratios are superior to most bottles too. I was laughing out loud while mixing a res. last night - laughing because of the size of the bags compared to how much I used. I bought 25 and 50 pounds bags respectively for a total of $62.00... They might last for the rest of my life. To mix a 20 gallon res. at 1.2 EC (for a coco drain to waste grow), I used a total of around 100 grams combined!

Big Mike can kiss my pasty, skinny butt.

edit: the only things that I add to this are enough epsom salts to supply another 25 ppm of Magnesium and 5 ml per gallon of Protekt (Potassium Silicate) mainly for the Silicon.

orangejuice

where did you pick up the peters hydro formula? google returned surprisingly few results (mostly cannabis growing forums), some places call it jack's instead of peters i read on some forums as well. checked lowes, home depot, walmart, local hydro shop, local nursery, no bueno.

C

Carl Carlson

The stuff is def. not easy to find.

I bought both products from Griffin's Greenhouse and Nursery Supply:

http://www.griffins.com/locations/index.asp

It's actually labeled as "Scotts Peters Hydro-Sol 5-11-26" etc.

here's a pic:

2pop4xj.jpg

The Jacks Professional hydro is 5-12-26, so yeah, two different, but similar products. Both are very inexpensive.

on the Jacks Professional website, they've got a dealer locator:

http://www.jacksprofessional.com/distrib_info.html

For the life of me, I cannot find information about the Hydro-sol on the Scotts website.

C

Carl Carlson

where did you pick up the peters hydro formula? google returned surprisingly few results (mostly cannabis growing forums), some places call it jack's instead of peters i read on some forums as well. checked lowes, home depot, walmart, local hydro shop, local nursery, no bueno.

the closest thing you'll find to the combo of Jacks / Peters + Calcium Nitrate in Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart is the Miracle Gro 24-8-16, but that doesn't have Ca and most of the N is from Urea. That's what I'm using in the soilless, container vegetable garden this summer and also for all house and porch plants and a few flowers in the front yard.

At the local "hydro" shop, they sell Jacks 20-20-20 for the soil growers, but have no clue about the hydro formulas.

Folks, this fert. combination isn't for people that want to feed no N during flowering. If you cut the Calcium Nitrate, you'll have no Ca in the mix...

orangejuice

according to those links the closest supplier looks to be about 300 miles round trip! so i guess that's out for me, will be trying maxibloom i guess, i've seen some good results with that in coco posted around here. it's "only" about triple the cost of scotts/jacks but still much cheaper than most liquids.

F

freefields

Not tried the HnG but tried Canna and AN Monkey Juice in coco. Both worked but the Canna gave 20-25% more yield.

TheDillest

thought I'd bump this thread to bring back the discussion.
It's a good thread

I'm using H&G "ammended"(as I see their NPK as being clearly flawed for late bloom) with FF Tiger Bloom. a 1/1 mix gets me 7.5-11.4-22.2
Cal/Mag plus will be used along with this mix
I'll update on how that combo works out for me

I would have used Dyna-Gro but the bottles had huge salt chunks at the bottom, and apparently this is "normal" for Dyna-Gro. Too bad because what is says on the label looks promising... except a good part of what's on the lable is now a solid chunk of precipitate sitting at the bottom of the bottle...

merkaba

I am using Advanced Sensi Grow, with no problems, added a lil Cal Mag at the start. I am thinking however of switching to Canna...my buddy swears it creates a much cleaner finished result and taste than either Pure Blend or AN. Not sure what I think about the Canna Boost though...We shall see ;)

dalilguy

Ran the canna for years. Never did me wrong. Currently running maxi in the same room same cut same everything. We shall see how it does. Canna always tasted better to me compared to old friends harvest on gh and an with same cut.

The boost is expensive. But if u spend the money and do a side by side you will see a difference. I have found a cheaper route for the boost additive now so it's not as expensive.

Hit eBay for a bottle if your local stores don't budge on the price.

But you will be satisfied with the canna base, it's a good clean fert. a Lil pk13/14 goes a long way also if you know your strain :tiphat:

danks

when using enzyme products in coco you get a natural k boost thats why canna runs 4 4 3
of course the coco will break down onits own just not as fast. i hate using anthing withhigh k in their formula in coco cause ive seen k lock shit out often during week 5 or 6. in coco k is not ur friend and neither is calcium. magnesium n and p are ur buddies. drift ph from 6 to 6.2 good luck